[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ Anyone here living off selling iOS apps? I was a web

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: ios.png (8KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
ios.png
8KB, 1200x630px
Hey /g/

Anyone here living off selling iOS apps?

I was a web dev for a while and now learning Swift and the iOS ecosystem. I have a few months and a few quite original ideas to implement, but I did some research and now I'm worrying that it won't even pay off my cheap rent apartment.

Any advice here? I really like the platform and the language so far and don't want to do web development anymore. In the worst case I'm going back to freelance (doing iOS instead) with a few apps in portfolio, but I'd like to avoid it. So the main question is - should I try to make really good ones or just get familiar with the platform, throw something to the store and start seeking for the freelance job?

I'm living in a low cost country and my lifestyle is very ascetic, so $300/month is enough minimum.
>>
Also I'm using Hackintosh. In theory Apple could ban my account and delete the apps, but I have heard of only one of such case. Can't even find the link now, it is somewhere on Reddit. I guess I shouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>62133107
how can we tell you without even knowing your app ideas?
>>
>>62133107
>Anyone here living off selling iOS apps?
Yes. I made around $57,000 from Nov 2016 - July 2017 selling apps. Not bad considering it was my first app.
>>
>>62133107
>Anyone here living off selling iOS apps?

are you fucking dumb? succesful iOS apps are like winning the fucking lottery. don't count on them to pay your fucking rent. be a fucking adult and do your paying web dev gig to survive. use your ios experience to fish possible ios app authoring or maintenance side jobs in your area. definitely do create a ios app as a HOBBY PROJECT to sell, but don't go into it with expectations that you can live off that income. Like I said, highly profitable iOS apps is like winning the fucking lottery. Be real.
>>
>>62134074
Damn, you really need to calm down.
>>
>>62134074

How many succesfull apps have you made?
>>
>>62134036
Curious, what type of app(s) were you selling?
>>
>>62134157
litestyle/business app.
>>
>>62133160
idiot here, does apple not approve of hackintosh? or is there some other reason why they could ban you?
>>
>>62134193
They're whole deal is, that they want you to only run their software on their hardware.
>>
>>62133107
you could have easily made money when the app store first started. I made the crappiest app imaginable but still earned 500$ over a year. But now theres millions of apps to compete with, even if its a good app it will not sell very much. You will probably have to make a dozen free apps and make revenue with ads.

People expect apps to be free unless its really worth paying for like a word processer or file explorer, but there are tons of those already. You might be a genius but for an average guy like me its difficult to come up with something totally new everyone wants.

I made a few games which i thought would sell but they barely got noticed and eventually i gave up.
If i were to do it again I would go with making apps for Android or PC software. Android has the largest market share, 2nd is windows which also has more freedom for software distribution. iOS is a limited platform with too many constraits. You have to pay 100$ a year just to develop for it and its users want premium content. If you don't mind a $100 loss and possible bad experience i would avoid apple.
>>
>>62134193
Technically you're breaking their ToS and technically Apple can find out that you're signed your app in Hackintosh, but in reality no one really cares.

>>62134074
>highly profitable
I specifically mentioned that $300/month is enough. I imagine US citizens couldn't possibly live on that no matter how ascetic they are.

>>62134006
Let's say they are not great, but each of them I imagine using myself everyday. One of the main reasons I'd like to dive into iOS/macOS development is that I see the opportunity to make something useful to me personally which was my dream ever since I started to learn programming.
>>
Bumb for interest.
>>
>>62134188
>>62134036
I'm pretty sure I saw you in an indie game dev thread like a month ago. Have you done any marketing for your app or you got downloads straight from the store itself?
>>
>>62134469
That probably wasn't me.
I sent free codes for the app to a bunch of review sites. 3-4 of them reviewed it and gave it positive reviews. That did help but I don't know how much. I think FB and Twitter shares help a lot more. Oh, and nice reviews.
>>
>>62134547
>That probably wasn't me.
Then I guess lifestyle/business apps are pretty much profitable.

>FB and Twitter shares help a lot more
Did you share it within your personal accounts among friends or else how?
>>
>>62134629
>Then I guess lifestyle/business apps are pretty much profitable.
Absolutely! You can make tons of cash. I know a guy who makes $500k/year from appstore. He mentored me.

>Did you share it within your personal accounts among friends or else how?
No, you let your customers and people who try your app share it from the app itself. You include buttons for that.
>>
That's funny how googling "ios independent developer earnings" makes me pretty much desperate, but here once again I see a successful person.

It doesn't surprise me though as 90% of the AppStore is useless crap full of flashlights/tips calculators.
>>
>>62133107
>web dev
>moved to mobile
You're making shitty choices senpai
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.