[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw i fell for the dual boot meme >mfw i later deleted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 20170828_185829.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170828_185829.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>mfw i fell for the dual boot meme
>mfw i later deleted the ubuntu partition
>mfw no face
>>
>>62133070
just fix ya grub
>>
>>62133070
told you man
told you about separate /boot

1. download supergrub2disk
2. write it to a pendrive
3. use it to boot your OS
4. repair your bootloader from that OS
>>
>>62133070
kek

I did this almost a decade ago when I was in college. Scared the bajeezus outta me because I had schoolwork on the Windows partition. Luckily I was smart enough to figure out how to put grub back on.
>>
File: 1494490680809.gif (237KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1494490680809.gif
237KB, 500x281px
>>62133070
>it's a meme because i am retarded
ah how i love /g/
>>
reset the windows boot thingy
howto is online somewhere
or just install ubuntu again
>>
>>62133070
Always go with the 3 HD rule. 2 SSDs, each dedicated to its own OS. 3rd mechanical drive that's 2TB or larger for hoarding. Never have any problems.
>>
>>62133159
>I'm too stupid to partition
>>
>>62133288
I think it's more of a autistic "I don't want my windows and debian partitions to touch" kinda deal
>>
I read about things before I actually do them so naturally this never happened to me.
>>
ls
>>
>>62133288
Partitioning isn't the issue.

>>62133328
It's more like "I can't trust windows at all anymore" kinda deal. And if one drive goes down, you've got something else ready to go.
>>
Is the other partition Windows? If so, get the Windows install disk/usb and boot from that. Then you're going to want to go to repair my computer -> troubleshoot -> command prompt, and enter a few commands to restore the master boot record. The commands to be used depend upon the Windows version in question.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/

I've done the same thing before. Your partition should be safe.
>>
>>62133104
>told you about separate /boot

This shit
Linux makes you pay attention to such a thing as a bootloader when you install
>>
I remember this.
Good ol times.
>>
>There are people on /g/ right now who will just reinstall instead of fixing their bootloader

You guys are fucking pathetic faggots.
>>
>>62133522
They are noobs though. They can't help it. There was a time, years ago when I would have done the same. I've learned since then.
>>
>>62133550
All these people are learning
I wanna take advantage of it
move the world to Linux
>>
>>62133127
I am seriously considering to ditch windows 10 completely. dual booting is indeed a meme that wastes space.
>>
>get live version of any distro
>just pick xubuntu you idiot
>boot up
>update your grub
>???
>profit
>>
>>62133421
>I can't trust windows at all anymore
this
call me autistic, but I too keep my Windows and Linux on separate drives
>>
>>62133070
Search for "fix mbr".

You'll be fine.
>>
>>62133740
If you don't have a specific need for Windows, I don't see why you shouldn't do just that. Find a distro you like and go for it. Back things up first.
>>
Being so retarded must be hard
>>
>fell for the dual boot meme
>four years later realize it's been three years and eleven months since i started up the second OS
>delete partitions, merge into main
>reset bootloader
>don't realize it but don't put the right references back into bootloader for main OS
>bootstrapped windows install is educational volume license, no freely available restore discs are compatible
ended up buying a restore software and making a ubs bootable repair disc
>>
>>62133070
Worst case you just boot using a windows usb and run /bootrec
>>
>>62133782
I keep them on different machines in different VLANs.
>>
>>62133522
I've been using Linux for 10 years and I still never fixed grub once when it happend.

And I know how to do it.

>livecd
>chroot to sdX where bootloader is
>grub-install
>grub2-mkconfig -o $whatever

BUT I DON'T CARE NIGGER
>>
>>62134666
That's pretty dumb, you do realize that?
You probably just don't actually know how to do it.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.