[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

new to Ubuntu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: index.jpg (2KB, 151x151px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
2KB, 151x151px
a lack of trust for microsoft has pushed me to try something new so Ive switched to Ubuntu. Im new to this terminal thing. any suggestions on learning to use this OS
>>
Use it like you would any OS, look up things for things you have questions on. What, specifically, do you want to know about?
>>
you were smart enough to go with Ubuntu, so good job on that. neckbearded autists will tell you not to because "muhh spyware" (these retards have yet to figure out how to change desktop environments)

run this command to get rid of the amazon apps that come packaged with unity
sudo apt-get remove unity-webapps-common
>>
>>62126531
Install dolphin. It is a file manager.
After you edit it to your liking, press f4 and a terminal will appear.
Since most applications do something to a file, this will give you quick access when you are navigating.
Something like git makes a lot more sense to use this way.
>>
You can learn anything you want through google
"How to X on linux?"
and soon enough you'll start liking it
>>
>>62126541
well im looking into wine so i can play my games. but id have to mount iso files. its just completely foreign to me
>>
you dont really need to learn the terminal if you dont want to. stock ubuntu gives you almost everything you need out of the box
>>
thanks for all the feedback
>>
>>62126531
If you want structured learning, read the advanced bash guide on tldp.org
It will go through a ton of stuff you might not learn just by using it.
>>
>>62126531
Look into
>making and changing directories
>editing files
>piping output
>killing process
>permissions
>bash for loops
>and the .bashrc file in you home directory

Either just google them, or google bash tutorials, or there is also interactive courses like codecademy. Whatever works for you bro.
>>
>>62126552
done and thank you !
>>
>>62126578
I'm pretty sure that can be easily done with a GUI file manager. You can also use "sudo mount file.iso /where/to/mount"
>>
>>62126580
this guy is right, but please dont go this route. youll do a big favor for yourself if you bother to learn bash. itll definitely make using a computer a better, easier experience, once you get used to it. graphical tools usually arent nearly as powerful, and in some cases such things do not even exist. its highly worth it.
>>
>>62126578
Check if they have a native Linux version, lots of games do.
>>
File: 71BLtWETYcL.jpg (143KB, 1130x1467px) Image search: [Google]
71BLtWETYcL.jpg
143KB, 1130x1467px
>>62126531
>any suggestions on learning to use this OS
other people can show you a few commands to type, this book can show you how to think unix
>>
Run this to clean off unused files and dependencies.

sudo rm -rf /
>>
>>62126531
You want to learn bash, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxuRxtrO2Ag
>>
File: 1498789907926.gif (178KB, 621x639px) Image search: [Google]
1498789907926.gif
178KB, 621x639px
found a laptop in a dumpster with windows password to log in

was gonna toss it as useless

install ubuntu with a USB

loving this shit and now salvaging hardware
>>
>>62126531
Install GDebi instead of having to use the broken ass Ubuntu Software Center. (It's used to install .deb ".exe" files)
>>
>>62126732
Don't do this, it erases your system
>>
>>62126776
I think it comes with that installed doesn't it.

I install synaptic.
>>
File: 1466536297079.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1466536297079.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>62126805
You use the software center to download it then pretty much stop using it after that. Just like using Internet Explorer to download a different browser.
>>
try Ultimate Edition based on debian its better than ubuntu they even have a gamers edition
>>
>>62126531
This should get you on your feet:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
>>
>>62126531
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxuRxtrO2Ag

I switched completely to Linux this last year as a total noob and never looked back. I only have a win10 in dual boot to play some gaems but eventually wanna try the passthrough thing and see if I can totally get rid of it. My advices as a total noob after ~1 year with linux:

Dedicate some time to start getting used to the terminal.
To avoid the troubles of distro-hopping: The unofficial flavours of Ubuntu are superior: Mint for Cinnamon and Mate (and probably the best to start with), Neon for KDE, Elementary OS is pretty nice too.
Best official flavour is Xubuntu, which uses XFCE. XFCE + Compton is probably my second favourite DE setup after KDE.
If you want an up to date software library and get tired of the PPA system, try Manjaro or Antergos.
Since I switched to Manjaro KDE I've never looked back to Ubuntu.
Also i3 is a good DE (actually a windows manager), speciallfy for laptops, if you eventually want to get into the whole ricing/minimalistic desktop meme, but it's easier to start with it with a XFCE desktop (like Xubuntu or Manjaro XFCE), since it's very easy to have i3 alongside with XFCE than other DE's. Manjaro even has it's own i3 edition.
>>
>>62126578
Install PlayOnLinux OP, it's foolproof.
>>
>>62127172
Is Kubuntu a good choice?
>>
>>62127248
Depends on what you want out of your OS. For people familiar with only windows, I typically recommend Mint.
>>
>>62127248
I tried it and I didn't like it, it seemed a bit buggy. For KDE I prefer Neon or Manjaro.
>>
>>62127248
I like kde, but kde neon is much better than kubuntu.
It updates kde and ubuntu separately, so you get the latest kde bug fixes while using a stable ubuntu as base
>>
>>62127250
For example, i want extremely customizable distro to learn Linux server administration and Linux altogether. For now I really like Neon.

Will Neon fit my requirements?
>>
I see you've already gone with Ubuntu, and there's nothing wrong with that. I also started with Ubuntu, but today prefer xubuntu.
My best advice is to not focus on strictly learning the system for the sake of learning. But use your system, and when you realise you're missing something, you Google how to install it or fix something, usually there are guides on how to do it, most use the terminal, and that way you'll quickly get a hang of the terminal and understanding what you're doing. And don't be too afraid to do something, just remember to keep a backup of your most important documents and if you'll break the system you can easily reinstall with no worries. Remember you'll learn something new every time you break your system and your next attempt will be better and more stable than your last.
Linux is fun, it's meant to be played and fiddled with
>>
>>62127298
Neon is just Ubuntu, so yes.
>>
>>62127324
This. You can even have a separate /home partition, so your own personal files and configs are always safe from any system break. Linux is pretty safe.
>>
Use Ubuntu Gnome instead of vanilla ubuntu
Gnome will be the standard of future Ubuntu releases anyway
>>
Don't know if you'll read this OP but if you ever get around to using Ubuntu again but if you do, go with Ubuntu MATE. It uses the glorious MATE DE and is very reminiscent of GNOME 2, which was one of my favorites. GNOME 3 is kinda ass imo but to each their own.

Also when you install any as your main one, try to set up your drive(if you only have one) like this:
>boot
>/ (called root)
>home

This config lets you install your distro(on /) then save your files in a separate space(home) so when you upgrade or change to a new distro they won't disappear. Then the boot partition can be used if you want to multi-boot.
>>
>>62127548
Oh also forgot to add that you save some space for swap! If you don't have swap, you can't put your computer to sleep. Or if you run out of ram, your computer won't slow down because you have extra space. Though many computers have enough RAM that this isn't really an issue. Also some people have suggested using a swap file instead. That has it's own pros and cons though.

So your hard drive should look like this:
>boot
> /
> home
>swap
>>
You should install Gentoo instead, it's the best Linux distro for beginners.
>>
>>62126531
Check the wiki a lot when you have a question
>>
>>62127709
>You should install Gentoo instead, it's the best Linux distro for beginners.
>>>
>Anonymous 08/28/17(Mon)03:53:02 No.62127717▶
> >>62126531 (OP)
thanks again all the feedback was extremely helpful
>>
>>6216531 btw i use arch
(and i3)
>>
>>62127178
This, or learn how to set up wine prefixes manually.

Still, even if you use PoL, you should learn how to use the terminal, because you'll hit the point where you'll need to use it in the future.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.