[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any way to set up windows / *nix environment with the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: og.jpg (31KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
og.jpg
31KB, 1200x630px
Is there any way to set up windows / *nix environment with the ease of use features that OS X has? I'm migrating from a MacBook to a Thinkpad and I would like to keep some of the nicer features of my current platform.

Things like KeyChain (and in general the security features of OS X), The multi-touch features (swiping between desktops is pretty nice), and in general the intuitive 'flow' for developing feels very smooth on my current machine, so if there were some kind of repo or package manager for exclusively high-quality free software, it would pretty much make my day to get a link.

*nix stuff would be preferred over Windows, but if the setup is nice enough I would be willing to make that sacrifice.
>>
File: 1499748458578s.jpg (6KB, 250x239px) Image search: [Google]
1499748458578s.jpg
6KB, 250x239px
>>62126246
>high-quality free software
>>
>>62126246
>Is there any way to set up windows / *nix environment with the ease of use features that OS X has?
No
Get another macbook
Or build a Hackintosh
>>
>>62126258
macOS has more good free software than Windows does. 90% of Windows 'programs' are the 8000th copy of a disk defrag utility or some shit. There's barely any quality in Windows world.
>>
>>62126246

Either get cygwin use the Unix subsystem for Windows.

Windows is notorious for its noncompliancy toward Unix and POSIX in general
>>
>>62126246
> Things like KeyChain
Password manager of your choice (pass, or something fancier);
>The multi-touch features (swiping between desktops is pretty nice)
Pretty sure macos are best in businesses with all the touchpad stuff.

Anyway, just look for alternatives or native versions of software you are currently using on your macos machine.
>>
>>62126246
You can install WSL on Windows 10 which gets you bash and any utilities that could be built on Ubuntu. You could also run an x server if desired.
>>
>>62126246
>nicer features
>fagOS

lmao
>>
>>62126295
>Free software
It's not free if you have to purchase a Mac to get it.
>>
>>62126246
>swiping between desktops is pretty nice
Most WMs use ctrl-alt-arrows for going between workspaces and it feels great. Holding shift will move the current window with you.
>>
>>62126397
>being this semantically retarded

Your dumpster find T60 isn't free because you need to run it off the mains in your basement. Electricity costs your mother money.
>>
Get full set of KDE apps. You will have all you need. It may be sometimes unstable though.
>>
>>62126382
If you don't understand that OS X is an OS with a fuck ton of really nice features you're retarded.

>>62126397
Free in the technical sense of the term (open source) for my new, not mac-os computer.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.