[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have $50 dollars to purchase one programming (text)book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: sicp.jpg (11KB, 187x270px) Image search: [Google]
sicp.jpg
11KB, 187x270px
What should I purchase? I am not going to be able to become professional programmer anytime soon, and I tend to work on my projects alone. I'm most experienced in C++ and I've been programming on and off for at least 2 years (not only in C++, I did python and web dev).

Currently deciding between SICP, Algorithms by Sedgewick (not too familiar with algorithms), and Effective C++ (I don't think I'm going to be working as C++ Dev later on so I'm not sure how relevant this info will be).

What has programming book (in general) been the most influential to you?
>>
The Art of Computer Programming
>>
>>62123136
C++ primer or Bjarne Stroustrup Programming Principles and Practice Using C++ your only two options.
>>
>>62123136
Why would you spend money when you can get books for free from your local library?

Seriously, they'll just give you books for FREE
>>
>>62123136
desu
Discrete math with applications by epp
>>
>>62123435

my library tech books are limited to for dummies guides to using microsoft excel.
>>
>>62123136
how about a book that actually teaches you to program and not classroom wankery?
>>
>>62123504
>not just walking into your local university's library and reappropriating the books for a few months
anon, it's not theft if you give it back
>>
>>62123136
get programming socks instead
>>
>>62123136
I found Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective very good to help me understand what the computer is actually doing. That's a bit more "make me a better development"-type book though, and it's 1200 pages, and not the most friendly. It's basically an undergrad course textbook.
>>
>>62123571
This book is great.
>>
why would you buy books that are free, in the public domain?

https://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/
https://github.com/sarabander/sicp-pdf
>>
>>62123625
in the words of Stroustrup

"I like e-books for crime stories and SF. I don't think they are ready for serious technical information. For that, I prefer paper - even if I have to wait a couple of days and carry some extra weight. A good textbook, opened on a table,will show two pages - an area about three times that of an ebook reader. Reading on a large, good-quality screen is OK, just OK."

also, if I spend money on something, I am more compelled to finish it.
>>
>>62123136
Get kindle so you don't have to pay $50 for 1 book
>>
>>62123136
Just pirate books. You can find almost anything with a well-worded search or on certain websites. You'll go through them too quickly to afford buying physical copies.

I have a collection of hundreds of books, and I go through them by the dozens.
>>
>recommending ebooks
Not OP, but I personally can't retain information I read online. I think just one person recommending ebooks is more than enough for one book thread.
>>
>>62123136
SICP is not a meme, I think it is legitimately the best intro CS book available.
However, if it were me, I'd just use SICP online and buy Algorithms.
>>
>>62124618
Which Algorithms book?
>>
>>62123504
Same here. Office for dummies, Windows XP for beginners and so on.
>>
>>62123841
I wish I had that quality.

I bought KnR C a year ago and I still haven't finished it.
>>
>>62124652
Not him, but CLRS, read the parts before "advanced topics" and the graph chapter.
>>
File: Brady-TDDI-HI.png.jpg (133KB, 720x903px) Image search: [Google]
Brady-TDDI-HI.png.jpg
133KB, 720x903px
How about a new direction?
>>
>>62124652
Also don't buy it, it's avilable in pdf format
>>
>>62124693
What is type-driven development?
>>
Any good books on optimizing code, proper notation, etc.? Just generally making your code not shit?
>>
Bump for books
>>
>>62124786
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependent_type
>>
>>62124693
Will this teach me Idris too or do I need another book?
>>
>>62124927
yeah it's an idris tutorial
>>
Is there a good book to learn Lisp?
>>
>>62125003
sweet
>>
>>62123841
>in the words of Stroustrup
you can't think for yourself?
>>
>tfw my CS shopping list on Amazon is $600
>>
File: best_distro.png (69KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
best_distro.png
69KB, 512x512px
>be me
>pirate a book
>notice a simple error in a code block
>email the author and tell them about the typo I discovered
>the publisher thanks me and gives me a kode for a free e-book (or video) download of my choice
unrelated to the thread but I am pretty proud of it and wanted someone to know.
>>
>>62124797
you are going to want to look for a book on algorithm design. but in practicality you pick up that info from many sources and not a single text.
>>
>>62124584
its useful for emerging technology. i have a subscription to an android dev ebook since it is constantly changing and you get all the updates.
>>
>>62125082
most expensive book i own is Introduction to the theory of computation. was close to $200 when the 3rd edition just came out. its down to a $100 now. its a very high quality hard cover print though so can't complain too much.
>>
>>62123504
>>62124672

#1 Interlibrary loans. Libraries are in networks with each other.
#2 Your library probably has some eBook provider. Usually not amazing selection but they do extend your collection and you can access it for free.
>>
>>62125113
Good job anon
>>
>>62125113
I'm proud of you.
>>
>>62125181
Is it worth $100?
>>
>>62123841
>A good textbook, opened on a table,will show two pages - an area about three times that of an ebook reader.
on the topic of opening tables, that's more difficult with "a good textbook", as the hyperlink to the table in the back of the book can only quickly be clicked when it's in an ebook format
>>
Come on, don't let a book thread die.
>>
>>62123571
It is an undergrad course textbook. It was written by two professors at Carnegie Mellon teaching a computer architecture class. If you search online, you can find the authors' slides for their classes that accompany the book. The slides really help summarize the material in the book. They're very useful for when a professor assigns a 75 page, highly technical chapter to be read in 2 days.

Source: am undergraduate computer science student
>>
why is SICP so fucking expensive?
>>
File: happy ribelator.jpg (14KB, 200x214px) Image search: [Google]
happy ribelator.jpg
14KB, 200x214px
>>62123136
>purchasing a textbook
good goy, keep wasting shekels
download them free from libgen.io OP

>>62126633
it's a meme
>>
>>62124689
mfw Uni literally gave it to me for free
t. Yuropoor
>>
CLRS
L
R
S
If it's too terse for you Cormen made another book called Algorithms Unlocked that has a different form of speech, but touches less on data structures.
Should give those two a look. There's the Halim competitive programming book but that's just to drill for contests.
>>
>>62125037
not really, he gave a concise reason to why physical may be considered to be better, and I agree with his reasoning.
>>
>>62126836
Op here:

I bought SICP. The $50 dollars being a giftcard to Barnes and Nobles.

I'll look into CLRS (I think abebooks has it cheap), but I don't think I'm quite at that level desu. I might look into algorithms unlocked though.
>>
>>62127272
CLRS seems scary at first but spend an hour or so on it and it gets easier, and some parts are more straight forward than others to understand.
>>
Lay's lingebra with applications desu. Or the signals textbook
>>
File: 1470170416511.jpg (44KB, 326x272px) Image search: [Google]
1470170416511.jpg
44KB, 326x272px
What's the best book for learning about computers in a more physical sense, like learning what all those important components do?
Just discovered my college doesn't offer a Computer Engineering course so I gotta learn this shit all on my own.
>>
>>62123136
SICP is available for free online: https://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

However, if you could buy Japanese edition, you could parade it like a hipster.
>>
>>62130284
By important components, do you mean just those involved in computation, or also stuff like the monitor and keyboard? For the first, I would recommend "computer systems, a programmers perspective", idk for the second though.
>>
>>62126836
Why is it called CLRS?
I had to google it to figure out it was the textbook I just bought for my computer engineering fundamentals course
>>
>>62131804
My bad, it just realized it's an acronym for the last names of the authors
>>
>>62130284
You can read up on processor architecture. Don't know any good books on the subject, our teacher wrote his own material for us.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.