[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which DE should I use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

File: desktopenvironmentheader.jpg (26KB, 620x300px) Image search: [Google]
desktopenvironmentheader.jpg
26KB, 620x300px
no window managers, this is for an always on, just werks desktop pc. is gnome finally better than kde again or what? why is xfce still so ugly and clunky?
>>
>>62117447
cinnamon
>>
>>62117447
just download gnome and fuck off, it's clear you only want /g/ to validate your precious little feelings. Stop giving a shit what other people think of you for what DE you use pajeet.
>>
File: 002.jpg (266KB, 905x881px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
266KB, 905x881px
XFCE imo, if you don't like it's look, rice it. It will look modern. KDE is shit and unstable imo, GNOME is okay, UNITY is death and cancer. CINNAMON is also really nice if you don't wanna rice XFCE.I recommend XFCE tho.
>>
>>62118821
damn he/she just want's to hear some recommendations lol, chill anon.
>>
Mate is chill.
>>
>>62117447
The only ones that aren't maintained by _one_ person are GNOME and KDE. Of those, GNOME is the only one with multiple international corporations backing it with developers, money and other resources.

So what do you want?

Something guaranteed to exist for another 20 years and steadily receive updates? GNOME

Something created by weird backwards Eurotrash that nobody takes seriously? KDE

Something developed by a single developer, a QA team of one? XFCE

And in the end, GNOME still sucks major ass. But it sucks the least.
>>
>>62117447
I like gnome, mate ,xfce. It depends on you really, for example cinnamon seems to be just better than gnome in every aspect but i never could stand using it for longer than a day without something getting into my way, the same with kde5.
>>
Use mate. I would say use xfce if its development werent so slow and shit
>>
>>62117447
LXDE.

Even if I didn't have such shitty hardware, I'd still use LXDE.
>>
>>62119101
i hope you're not trolling because i feel exactly the same
>>
M'ah Tay, mmh kay?
>>
>>62118795
fpbp. i use cinnamon on my laptop but for some reason on my desktop it always fucks up the configuration files and i got tired of fixing it
>>
>>62118795
fpbp
>>
>>62117447
gnome is literally a botnet
>>
CDE
>>
>>62119360
Not trolling, it's fast as balls, uses only a speck of RAM, and it's not hard to make it look as snazzy as other DE's. It's simple and just werks.
>>
>>62117447
just use icewm, openbox, or fluxbox
>>
>>62119360
different anon but same belief. i actually feel lxde is way too bloated and just prefer WMs. im only using lubuntu because it makes installing my proprietard nvidia drivers easy. cant wait to go back to amd
>>
>>62117447
install arc-dark and XFCE is the best one out there.

can anyone tell me what the fuck GNOME is thinking that they even don't have a taskbar? why do I have to open 100 menus to see the fucking opened windows, I don't want to install some sort of pajeet plugins for basic tasks.

on the other hand their linux software is quality. is you can use the word quality speaking of Linux software.
>>
>>62121757
>that b8
wm's require too much manual setup
>>
>>62121846
>why do I have to open 100 menus to see the fucking opened windows
all you have to do is hit the windows button dipshit
>>
>>62117447
Emacs.
>>
>>62121869
no they dont
>>
>>62121880
why would I need to do that? + after hitting it I need to navigate to activities or whatever the horseshit is called. every OS has the opened windows statically sitting on your window, because it's important. if you're a gnome dev then go kill yourself. even pajeet one man DE's are doing better, have better UX than corporate money backed nigger-gnome.
>>
>>62121924
yes they do.
prove me otherwise.
every wm out of the box is complete dogshit. only gnome manages to be even bigger pile of shit and it's not even *only* a wm, but somehow the UX is even worse.
>>
>>62121930
you just hit the windows button and all of your open programs show up. quit making things up for attention
>>
>>62121946
Not him, but the bulk of the changes I've made to my wm's conf files is adding program shortcuts, startup programs, and changing the look. I haven't touched any of the core configuration for tiling windows (i3wm). So yes, it's perfectly usable out of the box.
>>
LXQt
>>
>>62122008
no. if you install a headless linux os, you can't just install i3 and be done. you have to install xorg and all of its dependencies and configure a shitload of hardware before you can even start ricing. waste of fucking time.
>>
>>62122079
Sure, but if you're on a "just werks" distro it's as simple as installing i3 and selecting it in the login manager.
>>
>>62122117
sorry, i'm too autistic to have all those packages on a system but not autistic enough to build my DE from the ground up
>>
>>62122162
It's really not that hard. Install x and xinit, add "exec i3" to .xinitrc, and use arandr (gui) to configure your resolution.

You're making it out like it's a big thing, but it's not. It takes 10 minutes.
>>
>>62121995
go kill yourself CIA-GNOME nigger and fix your OS. try using some other DE or OS for a week and you understand. nigger.
>>
>>62117447
I like mate and xfce
>>
>>62122079
>installing x is a "waste of fucking time"
> "i'm not autistic enough to-"
false
you are already max autistic
>>
>>62121946
youre wrong. the window managers i listed just work "out of the box"
>>
>>62122079
what? wow, youre so wrong. everything you said is false.
>>
I'd say windows manager are the most bug safe and won't fuck your system so easily but as you don't want it xfce works fine, easy to configure and it won't waste half of your screen or use much ram. What else do you want?
>it's ugly
fuck off faggot
>>
>>62117447
either gnome or kde is fine
>>
>>62122198
>>62122269
>>62122230
and then you have to configure automounting for usb devices, go into xrandr and set up multiple monitors, configure the power manager, etc etc etc. wow who would've thought that telling the truth would trigger so many weeb neets?
>>
>>62117447
KDE and Xfce are objectively best. They're the most functional and easiest to get used to. They're also very customizable.

GNOME and Cinnamon are fine on their dedicated distros (Mint for cinnamon and Fedora for GNOME). But, cinnamon is merely a GNOME skin which tries to "look and behave like windows" and fails at that, being beaten by both Xfce and KDE.
MATE, elementary, budgie and anything else based on any GNOME is garbage.
LXDE and Unity are abandoned, avoid those.
LXQt is still unfinished.
>>
>>62122573
But you just said

>i'm too autistic to have all those packages on a system

So what the fuck do you want? Either you want to configure shit yourself, or you just use Ubuntu or something. Your ideal middle ground for lazy faggots that want to have their cake and eat it too doesn't exist.

Nevermind the fact that none of this has to do with how easy a window manager is to get going vs. a full de.
>>
>>62122573
Make scripts for all that
>>
>>62122254
just like shitting on the streets works out of box.
autist.
>>
>>62122573
then install the tiny portion of lxde or xfce that does all that shit for you
it's what everyone who likes tiling manager but doesn't like wasting 4 hours configuring shit by hand does

dumbass
>>
File: DFZ65c5XoAA_AF0.jpg (82KB, 528x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DFZ65c5XoAA_AF0.jpg
82KB, 528x1024px
>>62122589
>KDE
The most unstable and bloated DE.
>Xfce
Obsolete but gets the job done. Would use it if had consistent theming for GTK2 and GTK3 applcations.
>MATE
This one is good. Using it at the moment. Still miss the Whisker menu from Xfce (Brisk menu is shit).
>>
>>62122764
MATE is shit. Xfce can do everything it does and more.
>>
>>62122709
>projecting this hard
>>
anything good that uses Qt?

Is LXQt good yet? Does the Qt version of PCMANFM yet have a dual pane mode like the GTK version does?
>>
screw you guys, i think gnome is comfy. it just needs a little debloating after install
>>
>>62122863
no. lxqt is still a buggy mess, i would avoid it. once its actually worth using lxde won't exist anymore so keep an eye out for that
>>
Currently have XFCE. I think it's bretty goob
>>
>>62122863
LXQt won't be usable for at least half a decade. You can use it if you want to be a tester, but not on your main OS.
KDE is probably your best bet if you want a Qt desktop.
>>
>>62122898
how did you make it not look like late 90's garbage? i hate it's taskbar desu
>>
>>62122840
MATE is fine.It's lightweight and highly cusomizable.
As I said, I would still use Xfce but inconsistent theming between applications drove me away from it
>>
>>62122928
ZorinOS Lite, pre-riced to look good with Xfce. It's not that difficult to rice Xfce though.

>>62122939
>lightweight
All DEs are almost equally light. The only difference is the bloat included by your distro. Example, Ubuntu GNOME uses twice as much RAM as Debian GNOME. If you want to make it lighter just disable all animations. Even KDE Plasma is light as fuck nowadays.
Any device made in the last 6 years will run all DEs fine, especially desktop computers.
>>
I like xfce but I started using i3 and fell in love wiith it
>>
>>62122996
debian gnome has no performance issues at all...it just werks. i always lower my swappiness to 15 instead of the retarded 60 that all linux distros come preset to
>>
>>62123090
Nobody said it had performance issues.
>>
>>62122996
personally I dislike most preconfigured distro desktop packages, I just like to go with something like gnome-shell and build from there rather than having a gnome that comes preinstalled with a bunch of shit I won't use/aren't my preferred programs. take gnome games for example, most distros include that for some reason, but do any of us ever play those games?
>>
>>62123211
>but do any of us ever play those games?
pajeets probably do
>>
>>62123211
can't live without minesweeper.
Serously, though, I like my system to be fully packed from the start, so I would not waste time on installing dependencies/packages. Used to be a 'minimal guy' but then understood that it's a meme because after some time of using the system it becomes very similar to a one that comes out of the box with distros like openPEPE.
>>
>>62122996

>using a device made in the last 6 years

enjoy your botnet
>>
>>62117447
Just use Lumina, anon.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.