[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When have you found your favorite distro and how did you get there?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1473976211437.png (459KB, 1144x529px) Image search: [Google]
1473976211437.png
459KB, 1144x529px
When have you found your favorite distro and how did you get there?
>>
/g/ memed so much about arch being shit that i tried it just to be contrarian

it's actually pretty good
>>
>Ubuntu
was quite okay as babbies first Loonix but stopped using it after Amazon botnet shit and because I hated Unity

>Ubuntu MATE
really comfy but buggy, had problems with graphics drivers, crashes.

>Ubuntu Gnome
ran really well, but I disliked Gnome 3

>Kubuntu
KDE was very interesting but what a buggy nightmare

>elementary OS
buggy nightmare 2: electric boogaloo

>Arch with Xfce
love the AUR, pacman, the wiki. Nice!
>>
>>62111080
About a year ago i found void linux and since then i haven changed the distro.
My road was Ubuntu Server > Debian > K/Xubuntu > Arch > Gentoo > Void
>>
I haven't, void is the next stop
>>
File: txqAfWv.png (486KB, 1000x624px) Image search: [Google]
txqAfWv.png
486KB, 1000x624px
>>62111080
Tried a lot. Decided Cinnamon was my favorite DE. Hated having old packages and reinstalling every six months (lol @ distro '"upgrading"), so I decided I wanted rolling release, but Arch was too bare OOB

Voila, Antergos
>>
Ubuntu > Arch > Gentoo > learned to make my own packages > Ubuntu Minimal.
>>
Tried Ubuntu first. It was okay as an introduction to Linux. I liked how it even popped up with a keyboard shortcut cheatsheet on the first launch. That was a nice touch. Unity was actually pretty good and had some nice features. But ultimately it was so fucking unstable as I added more PPAs for actual up-to-date software that I couldn't use it anymore.

Tried Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Gnome, etc. and they were all shit. Horribly buggy and unstable.

Then I tried the Arch meme and holy shit it's the best thing ever. Incredibly stable, great package manager, amazing AUR, wonderful documentation, everything up-to-date.
>>
File: tumblr_nx0eqyhjmE1r20fq5o1_1280.jpg (572KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx0eqyhjmE1r20fq5o1_1280.jpg
572KB, 1280x1280px
Ubuntu -> Arch -> Manjaro

Arch was way too autistic and required too much time just to keep it running but i liked the idea behind it. AUR and Arch wikis are god damn beautiful things.

Only logical choice was Manjaro which gives best of both worlds. It's easy to install & maintain but still you're the one running the show.
>>
>>62111080
I want to know how to use arch because I think it's cool but I'm not well versed in Linux commands so I'm going normie and I installed mint with mate just yesterday.
>>
I'm 23, I started with Ubuntu 11.04 as a youngster. Stayed there for a few years until boredom, tried most mainstream distros each interesting release.

Now I bounce between fedora and archlinux. Usually arch.
>>
>>62115499
Oh I lie, it was Ubuntu 10.04 back I'n the days of gnome 2.

Good times
>>
i started with slackware 2.0, went to redhat next because dealing with rpm was easier than building shit, and then eventually switched to debian (woody) because apt felt breddy gud. that was before yum existed, i think. i've been mostly running debian and centos in production ever since.
>>
Arch linux, mostly because, ironically, I got sick of dicking around with debian/fedora installs breaking, whereas I haven't had arch break on me in a year.
>>
>>62111080
FreeBSD, in 2001. Still using it as my primary OS, nowadays.
>>
>>62115045
How does Arch require a lot of time just to keep running? I don't have to do much work with it myself.
>>
>>62115304
You don't learn Linux and then install Arch.
You install Arch and learn Linux as part of the process.
>>
I wanted to be an edgelord and went straight from windows to gentoo. Portage has some deal-breaking quirks, despite being relatively decent, which is the main reason I don't think gentoo is right for me yet.
>>
>>62116200
Try Arch
>>
>>62111080
never tried bsd
tried ubuntu and it's lags as hell with every de dunno how is that even possible and how the fuck so many people use and recommend it to others
tried fedora and it even worst than ubuntu
had some senseless bugs with test repo in debian then apt-get wanted to uninstall whole system
found that suse has no drivers for my broadcom card then deleted it
then tried arch with gentoo and second one was just better in everything
>>
They're almost exactly the same. The difference is the mostly the package manager. From that to the init system that depends highly on what the package manager provides.

They're so similar you can compile portage in ubuntu and turn your system into arch linux.
>>
>>62111080
Started with Suse because it came on CD together with a Linux book I bought.
Got feed up with contantly crashing KDE.
Found out that I can switch to GNOME, which was far more stable.
Then used Ubuntu because GNOME on default.
Afterwards Windows 7.
Didn't switch to Windows 8 because of its Frankenstein GUI, so I looked for a good Linux Distro again.
Ubuntu became a nogo because of Unity so I tried out Fedora and sticked to it.
Now that MS became full botnet I do not even dualboot anymore.
>>
>>62116292
Am I going to get ass blasted by USE flag issues?
>tfw literally can't even install a browser without portage losing its marbles and outputting a wall of unreadable errors
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.