[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long will it take to learn programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Long story short, I'm deep into ecommerce.
Most of the shops that I created were based on WordPress + WooCommerce because it's overly popular and it was easier to find e-commerce specific extensions appropriate in my country (payment gateways, parcel services).
I've also tried lots of alternatives in the last few months - Drupal + Commerce/Uberkart, Magento, Odoo ERP etc. I've built them, tried all available extensions, themes, frameworks, then rebuilt and tried with other random shit, many several times.
And THEY ALL FUCKING ANNOY ME TO DEATH.

I decided I want to write an e-commerce platform by myself.

Now the funny thing is, I've never learned programming seriously, and the longest program I've written was about 250 lines of code in Python. I learned what a class is just recently.

I wish, however, to put some effort into learning how to do things right, and my language of choice seems to be Ruby.
Assuming the following:
1. I want to use Ruby on Rails + https://spreecommerce.com/
2. The shop is going to contain about 50.000 products
3. I need powerful XML processing tools that would update my prices and stock qty everyday, every few hours
4. I need to integrate it with something like eBay
5. I need to integrate it with accounting service, lots of shipping companies, and lots of minor stuff - each of which provides good documentations, APIs and other things I don't understand (yet)
6. There's no need to worry too much about customer security, because Credit Cards and other sensitive stuff will be processed in external gateways

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE ME TO DO THAT if I am a complete programming novice and if I drink 5 cups of coffee a day and snack on modafinil?

tl;dr I don't know programming but I have a very clear idea about how the program needs to work like (ecommerce store). How long will it take me to learn Ruby + RoR so I can get the job done.
>>
>>62110115
You will fail. There is no way you will succeed with something as large as this, with this many security aspects to it. You need to have a lot of experience, and you probably also don't want to do this all by yourself.
>>
File: xp.jpg (771KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
xp.jpg
771KB, 3264x2448px
>>62110115
Get some books off the cyberpunk FTP surrounding the language of choice.
And read some of the techniques and tricks applied.
For the rest, it's a bit like drawing, once you know how to use the tool you need to use it creatively and in your own way.
Just start easy and don't go crazy and start to leap before you can crawl.

ftp://collectivecomputers.org:21212/books
user/pw: guest

Alt. link: ftp://guest:[email protected]:21212/books
>>
>>62110167
Well, being broke and life kinda force me to do this all by myself
>>
>>62110115
>if I drink 5 cups of coffee a day and snack on modafinil?
You're going to cause irreparable damage to your body and brain. Don't do this. Your life isn't worth for some crappy e-commerce platform, one that you think you'll build from scratch.
>>
>>62110251
this. also, modafinil isn't like the drug from limitless or something. get a grip on reality.

it'll take you a little longer to code this stupid idea of yours clean, and you won't become a fucking mess when your supply line goes dry.
>>
>>62110261
>>62110251
Well I've been using nootropics for quite a long time, stacking Modafinil + Noopept / *cetams, CDP choline, Nicotine and many others. I'm quite satisfied and haven't noticed any bothering side effects nor degeneration.
I believe the trick lies in not being an idiot.

PS. I'm 20 and I give zero fucks
>>
>>62110167
It's not *that* ambitious. There are plenty of libraries and stuff that do most of the hard work for you. It's not like he's rolling his own crypto and writing his own HTTP server and database software.
>>
>>62110251
It depends on the person. Some people like those on the ADHD spectrum can barely function without stimulants and seem to be fine with long term use. The real damage comes from people that abuse them to get high and do 10x the safe dosage.

Famously Paul Erdos, the greatest mathematician to ever lived, could only function with stimulants. His friends convinced him to go a month without to prove he was addicted and didn't need them. He abstained for a month just fine and accomplished nothing during that time.
>>
>>62110251
And I admit that I have no idea what the fuck am I doing. But I think I have a grasp
1. Learn some fucking Ruby
2. Read RoR book
3. Read the docs of Spree
4. Read and scan popular blogs on the subject, like a motherfucker
5. Begin working
6. Integrate with external services APIs (payment gateway), I believe this is going to be actually simple. I have lots of sample PHP resources (ie. WordPress/Magento plugins) from which I could copy the concepts and translate into Ruby

Then if it miraclously works
7. put it on nginx/apache + mariadb/redis or whatever the fuck works faster
8. test like a motherfucker
8. consider
9. maybe an external audit

It is not that much of an e-commerce project as it is "I just need motivation to finally learn programming, because not being able to program is a big shame nowadays, and I tend to learn better with extreme objectives in mind..."
>>
>>62110115
There are already solutions for this. Why are you reinventing the wheel?
>>
>>62110419
op here
Yeah and the fucking miracle of long-term safe stimulants
***LONG-TERM SAFE***
the guardian claims that modafinil may be the first long-term safe smart drug
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/20/narcolepsy-medication-modafinil-worlds-first-safe-smart-drug
many whitepapers confirm
too lazy to look for [citation needed] this is not reddit
so the miracle of stimulants is that you don't need to use them long term, in fact using them all the time - even if it won't fuck you up in any way - is somehow sad.

THE TRICK IS VERY FUCKING SIMPLE
1. I am a lazy fuck with bad habits
2. Youtube games facebook all day
3. "why the fuck I can't find motivation to do X"
yeah because it is difficult to change habits
4. Use some hack, and nootropics work, especially modafinil which is good at "cutting old habits" due to dopamine and other scientific shit
5. go on nootropics for 3 months
6. do what you always wanted to do (easy mode now)
7. after 3 months you can quit supplementing nootropics
8. You don't even remember your old habits. You somehow began enjoying sitting in front of a bash terminal for countless hours.
9. THIS IS THE TRUE LONG-TERM EFFECT. *cetams *finils *cholines *ines merely helped you became a zombie for 3 months
- "I do what I was supposed to do (work), not what my brain tells me to do (anime)"

Then when you cut it, and no longer take it, the effect of *tropics is gone. But your habits are reshaped.

this is how you hack laziness, kids

PS. don't do anything stupid without consulting your doctor, and if you must - don't do anything without reading tons of white papers ctrl+f-ing "long-term"
>>
>>62110460
Oh well I'm just too fucking annoyed by Drupal/WordPress/Magento and it is not easy for me:

WordPress is too mainstream and mainstream follows with way too many downsides (like Windows). Simply saying, install a fresh WordPrses site and
curl http://your_website.tld/ | grep href | grep rel | grep -v your_website.tld | grep -v class | awk 'match($0, /rel=.[^\"'\'';]*/, a) match($0, /href=.[^\"'\'';]*/, b) { print a[0] "\n" b[0] "\n"} ' | sed 's/.*[\"'\'']//'

http://gmpg.org/xfn/11

dns-prefetch
//fonts.googleapis.com

dns-prefetch
//s.w.org

preconnect
https://fonts.gstatic.com

stylesheet
https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Libre+Franklin%3A300%2C300i%2C400%2C400i%2C600%2C600i%2C800%2C800i&#038

Those things give you bad PageSpeed insights score
And try to look at the http://gmpg.org/xfn/11
Know what the fuck is this? Me neither
Well it actually is a meta-data profile that explains human relations to robots
that says a child is an opposite of a parent
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK
and there's no way to disable it in default settings
and you need to install some plugin extension written by *exotic Author name here* with the help of *totally not a pajeet*, last updated 11 months ago

And if I want to solve it myself
wait I don't even know PHP but well I will try to brute force it
then I read wordpress docs
then I get up from my seat and get the fuck out far away from my PC
>>
You're a fucking dumbass op.

It's one thing to do this for the sake of learning how to program (which you clearly need to do, you're not even well versed in what modern development looks like, you referenced XML for fucks sake) but it's another to do it for some type of ecommerce venture.

Like others have said, don't be a fuck and re-invent the wheel. There are tools out there that do this for you already.

You're going to fuck yourself for no reason.

Also RoR is dying.
>>
>>62110460
>>62110583
I wish not to use anything that breaks when the fucking JavaScript is disabled
I fucking hate sites that break without Java Script
in fact I love uMatrix or NoScript extensions but I had to disable them, because 60% of the Internet doesn't work without it
But I will try to do better

>>62110583
cont. Drupal is a thick, solid mother fucker but there are compatibility issues right now
Commerce module new version is just released
way too fucking many compatibility issues between the extensions I need
and my list of extensions is very simple, only 3 or 4 critical
but they still fucking fail to work together right now

And MAGENTO install file is 200MB (fuck)
And I try to install it on my debian unstable production server
"Sorry you can't use php7.18, you have to downgrade to php 7.04-6"
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK

anything other I use I would have to write functionalities like payment gateways myself
so what is the point If I can just go all the way
>>
>>62110539
That sounds great if it works. Have you actually tried it? I'm kinda skeptical.

I'm about to try something similar soon that I have some income to afford stimulants. I don't expect it to be a miracle like that. The stims I've tried so far seem to give me pretty severe anxiety and kill my appetite, but I'm willing to deal with that if it gets me out of my death spiral. I'm also trying exercise which supposedly is nearly as effective according to some studies, but I've not noticed a huge improvement.

I've actually been diagnosed with ADHD. I don't know if it will help normies.
>>
>>62110619
Well I did come up with the idea yesterday
By looking at
https://www.ecommwar.com/
don't know if it is any meaningful though.

And I'm too frustrated without being able to bend e-commerce tools to my needs.

In fact my point of view was pretty much like you've said

You should NEVER reinvent the wheel

And I've seen many people make big mistakes (i.e. wholesale owners who hired a *single* developer to create ERP software - next two years were a fucking waste of time for them)

And when somebody insisted on not using ready solutions

I would ask them
"and would you like somebody to write you a new Wangblows operating system as well"?

But now I think that my point of view has changed.

I DESIRE ABSOLUTE FUCKING POWER
>>
>>62110115
Depending on how much work you're willing to put into it, you could probably become "intermediate" within 3 months. At that point you could probably just start making it and pick up a lot of what you need to know as you go. I can't tell you how much work what you want to build is because I'm not a web guy.

I would suggest you think twice about locking yourself into using specific technologies (like RoR, XML, etc) before you even know how to program. I'm not trying to be a dick, but often people get ideas in their heads about certain technical things which have no basis in reality. For example, people on /v/ believe that Unity is a 'poorly-coded' engine because a lot of terrible (and buggy) games are made with it - mainly because of how accessible it is for beginners.
>>
>>62110637
Well it does work for me but it depends on the person

The truth is that it's 50% about the substance, whether it is caffeine or piracetam or whatever

and 50% about placebo effect and your psyche
"now I will be finally able to do it"

yeah usually you just need a kick, and if there is any miracle to be achieved, it will most likely come from your mind, not from some bullshit made-in-india armodafinil

but yeah modafinil, *cetams they do fucking work

as for appetite one of the more-beneficial changes i made in my life
was switching to intermittent fasting
i.e. not eat until 6PM
it gets your brain really focused (many of whitepapers on that)
but you need to be careful not to eat too little. However, on the other side, if you have a little bit of bodyfat you can do some cutting!

You don't want to eat - so you eat less (caloric deficit), and at the same time you are getting shredded!

As for resources which may be interesting for you
https://illimitablemen.com/2016/05/24/master-monk-mode-with-modafinil/
https://illimitablemen.com/2017/02/23/how-to-stop-feeling-tired/
Dave Asprey from BulletProof is a very smart guy, he took nootropics for fucking decades
https://blog.bulletproof.com/bulletproof-radio-episodes-directory/
here you have 400 podcasts episodes for free
be careful though as 2 out of 10 lines he says are marketing
>>
>>62110705
thank god somebody actually gave me an answer. bless you anon and I'm off to work
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.