[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mac is better than Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

Mac OS
>Stable and Tried Unix Environment
>Made by professionals and supported my corporations
>It is literally their job and income to keep this OS running

Linux
>OS with stability issues in favor of "bleeding edge" and alot of tweaking needed (Screentearing is still a goddamn issue in 2017)
>Made by hobbyist who work for free
>Projects can leave and go. They work off of donations

So why should I not get a mac instead of praying my Linux framework will not fuck up one day?
>>
>>62109550
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>62109709
>Shit he is right
>Guess I will call him a meme and call it an argument
Whelp guess I am right.
>>
nice blog, where can I subscribe?
>>
File: untitled.png (311KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
311KB, 480x451px
>>62109550
>>
>>62109550
>instead of praying my Linux framework will not fuck up one day
You could try to use it instead of relying on memes on /g/.
It "fucks up" so rarely it is not worth mentioning.
I have used it for 10 years and I have had something "fuck up" 2 or 3 times and every time has the issue been covered in the news (including how to recover).

I can understand if you would rather use osx because it has applications not available for linux, but the system is as stable as you make it.
>>
>>62109809
except I have tried it and some issues always persist no matter what. It may be minor like the gnome sometimes crashing and restarting or file managers not listening to commands, but those minor problems are no present in OSX
>>
File: mint-18-update-policy.png (499KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
mint-18-update-policy.png
499KB, 1280x1024px
>>62109831
No. You just have a company running your OS that lets a brute force attack go for 8 months without any attempts to stop it.

Different OS's, Different problems. That said, Mint sounds like it would suit you. Pic related.
>>
>>62109871
I don't know why you are making an argument of security when I am talking about stability. You know, the thing I actually need shit to be done with.

Also, I have worked with Linux my entire time in college and current work, but everything was much easier with OSX. Also how the fuck are screentearing issues not fixed yet for linux yet. All the distros are sticking with xorg and wayland/compton can fix those problems. Yet the distros are just sitting on their asses doing nothing about it.
>>
>>62109952
If stability is your end-all, be-all concern, then Chrome OS wins, hands down. Nobody else even comes close.

That's Linux based.
>>
>>62109831
gnome is not the only option, it is not even the best option.
It would be cool if every DE was professional and would focus on bug fixing.
But it is more fun to implement new features.
>>
>>62109978
Except they do not exist in highend systems and is locked down to the point it hinders programming. OSX does not do that.
>>
>>62110038
Wait a second. You were just going on about "stability." Don't start inserting other qualifiers. When I did it, you said that you were talking about JUST STABILITY.

I'm playing the game by your rules, and I expect you to, as well.
>>
>>62110038
>locked down to the point it hinders programming
Yeah, that's why GNU/Linux > macOS.
>>
>>62110028
who said I was using gnome. \It exists in all systems to some extent.
>>
>>62110075
>It may be minor like the gnome sometimes crashing and restarting
>who said I was using gnome?
you did.
>>
Use whatever you want OP, I don't have a single reason to care about what you like or dislike. I really don't give a fuck, maybe go and ask reddit?
>>
>>62110089
that was a hypothetical, I am using it as an example. Problems exist through all of them.
>>62110046
You are talking about an OS that is meant for specific users not actual programmers. Also

it doesn't even meet these criteria.
>>
>>62109550
>(Screentearing is still a goddamn issue in 2017)
Stop using nouveau, and get proper drivers. Then allow V-Sync
>>
>>62110126
Except I did. It also doesn't help that optimus/bumblebee support was shit until recently. Finally. took them long enough.
>>
>>62110109
>You are talking about an OS that is meant for specific users not actual programmers. Also
No. I'm talking about the most stable OS. YOU are moving goalposts.
>>
>>62110109
I have used many window mangers throughout the years and while I have found bugs, they weren't critical enough to make the window manager crash.

>>62110159
Blame nvidea.
>>
>>62110165
Me moving goalposts? That whole

is in the main post. Chrome OS is clearly supported by a huge corporation.
>>
>>62109550
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

I wish mactoddlers and gaymers were banned from creating threads here.
>>
>>62110196
Neat. It's still Linux based and more stable than MacOS. Therefore, a linux based OS is more stable than MacOS, and you have lost the argument.
>>
>>62109550
while you are technically correct, apple has reduced themselves to making proprietary hardware and ports in a pathetic attempt to revive the greed of the 1980's. macbooks are such a fucking ripoff its disgusting
>>
>>62109550
I think you don't understand. Linux offers the user extreme flexibility, to tinker and play as he wishes, and that sometimes backfires. And not a complete isolated environment where the user is locked into one preapproved way of doing things.
But seriously, why don't you just drop Linux and only use Apple? Clearly you're not interested in what Linux offers, you're interested in what Apple offers.
>>
>>62110174
There are systems in place that reboot it right after it crashes. Although if I have to pick one dm that does it often it would have to be gnome. Zorin and Ubuntu gnome have this issue alot. Except they both restart the windows manager everytime it crashes. I am also saying the bugs you mention do not happen in OSs such as professionally made ones.

>>62110212

>Puts in criteria on which linux I am talking about
>Goes to a professionally made linux version that does not meet the criteria
Alright lets keep thinking that way

>>62110229
>Linux offers the user extreme flexibility, to tinker and play as he wishes, and that sometimes backfires
Oh so I guess that taking so long on graphical support, the problems of screentearing, unstable de's, and constant bug complains are because of the "user extreme flexibility".

>>62110226
This I agree with. Fucking disgusting how ports are being destroyed in place of expensive modular extensions.

>>62110203
You think the whole organization actually does anything besides corporate putting out drivers time to time?
>>
>>62110260
You didn't specify which Linux you were talking about.

Stop moving goalposts, anon.
>>
OSX is fine. If mac hardware wasn't overpriced and it had tiling window managers I'd use it.
>>
>>62109550
>Screentearing is still a goddamn issue in 2017
Oh so that is what that is!
>>
>>62110283
Except I put criteria and description of the type of linux I was talking about in the main post. Stop moving goalposts.
>>
>>62110260
No the problem isn't screentearing, the problem is your inability to fix it for yourself. For the love of God, if you expect something like Linux to hold your dinky winky wiener all the way through and fix everything for you, Linux isn't for you. It's for people who don't mind doing stuff on their own. Go get Apple please, it'll be better for you and us. It's honestly exhausting hearing people whine about Linux, while in reality they should whine about how bad they are at fixing stuff. Linux is flexible, flexible enough for you to fix your own stuff
>>
>>62109550
But that's wrong you fucking retard. The vast majority of work on Linux is made by professionals being paid to do so.
>>
>>62110314
>Main post

Where did you put the criteria here: >>62109550
or here (first post I responded to): >>62109831
or here (first post you responded to me with): >>62109952
>>
>>62110196
>is in the main post. Chrome OS is clearly supported by a huge corporation.
And Linux is supported by MULTIPLE huge corporations, such as IBM, Oracle, Canonical and Red Hat.
>>
>>62110260
I know what it means to crash a window manager.
You keep saying professional like it means something.
We currently have a free OS where anyone can use it. (at least anyone who can understand english)
>>
>>62110318
>No the problem isn't screentearing, the problem is your inability to fix it for yourself.
You are not any smart are you. If such a basic problem is not fixed because distros decide not to put out the fixes which have been out for awhile it is my fault? I can fix it btw and have used compton and wayland, my problem is the incompetent distro sitting on this problem since forever and not opting to put in their fixes as default while macs are simply working without such problems out of the box.

>Linux to hold your dinky winky wiener all the way through and fix everything for you
Except even if you fix it all you can, there are still bugs and bugs that have not been fixed. Much more compared to Mac.

>>62110333
Even if that was true, that is worse off for linux then
>>
>>62109550
this is literally why people use linux. because they're sick of shit made for normies by companies trying to extort money
>>
>praying my Linux framework will not fuck up one day

This is literally a meme made up my /v/ermin to try to rationalize using the mediocre botnet OS that happens to run their stupid games. It was true in the 90s, it's not true now.

Also, the "Unix" environment in OS X is just FreeBSD with some outdated GNU utils sprinkled in. "Certified UNIX" means absolutely nothing other than the fact that they paid for a brand.
>>
>>62110410
Then why are they so bug ridden and lack basic features out of the box compared to both osx and windows.
>>
>>62110473
>>62110410
except linux is as well.
>>
If mac os was free and was more "ricer" friendly, 80% of the board would switch, provided they weren't relying on linux for work.

You're lying to yourself if you say you enjoy """"doing things on your own""""""" such as working in the command line in order to get a keyboard brightness key to work or whatever nonsense doesn't work by default.
>>
>>62110530
This may sound like blasphemy to you, but not everyone likes Mac OS. I'd honestly prefer Windows if the latter wasn't unironically malware.
>>
Ok look, noone wants to admit it here, but osx is way more stable and supported than any linux distro for pc. Linux barely makes up marketshare despite the rising numbers.

Problem is that mac is owned by shitty corporation that is basically locking down its customizability and killing needed ports. Also it has been overpriced and marketed to normal sheepies that don't understand what the os can do. Pretty much what /g/ hates overall.

You won't find solid logic here.
>>
>>62110558
I like Windows just fine. If Windows 8 had better multiple desktop / workspace support I would like it over both linux and osx.
>>
Linux is shit, sure; but mac os isnt really much better. The professionals all left in mid 2000s, the os gets worse with every iteration, apple is only interested in ios now.

install openbsd
>>
>>62110576
not op, would it be a bad idea to go full thinkpad and buy a 2012 macbook?
>>
>>62109550
Software developer in server found easy using Linux because all software goes to Linux Server.
>>
>>62110589
I don't understand why you would do that. What are you wanting out of a 2012 macbook.

Not attacking. Genuinely curious.
>>
>>62110614
3rd gen macbook which I can probably get for much cheaper. Hence going full thinkpad.
>>
>>62109550
>Mac is better than Linux

no it's not
>>
>>62110641
No, I get that you don't want to pay new Macbook prices. I'm just wondering what you're wanting to do with it. They really aren't upgradable (unlike thinkpads and elitebooks), they aren't all that durable (unlike thinkpads and elitebooks). Is there some sort of program you want?

Or are you more like me, where, for some odd reason, I always wanted a Vaio?
>>
File: tumblr_m98otyOjNT1ru1dcc.gif (417KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m98otyOjNT1ru1dcc.gif
417KB, 180x180px
>>62109550
>>
>>62110666
>Or are you more like me, where, for some odd reason, I always wanted a Vaio?

Pretty much this. I also want a vaio. Also I never extensively programmed on a mac so I am curious.
>>
>>62109550
Mac OSX sucks at network tasks.
As far i know it do have a fixed limited number of TCP connections.
>>
>>62110700
Fair enough. I mean, it's your money, you can spend it how you like.

That said, I got an old Vaio for 80 bucks, and completely revamped it (new sound card, new motherboard, new CPU, more RAM, new hybrid drive) for like another 200 bucks. I can keep the Vaio going for a really long time without spending much. I don't think you can do that with a Mac.
>>
>>62110038
>locked down
So is OS X. You're running out of arguments.
>>
People keep discussing osx as something that can run both microsoft office and native unix software without buggy (((compatibility))) layers.
I mean i would be interested in something like this.
I'm on debian so i wonder if reinstalling my apt packages with brew will be enough.
I can't expect it to be 100% unix or debian compatible, after all
>>
>>62109550
>what is Redhat linux
>>
File: 2017-08-27-103813_867x813_scrot.png (217KB, 867x813px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-27-103813_867x813_scrot.png
217KB, 867x813px
>>62109550
>>OS with stability issues in favor of "bleeding edge" and alot of tweaking needed (Screentearing is still a goddamn issue in 2017)
There are distros which have really good stability and no bleeding edge such as RHEL, and distros which are rolling release such as Arch Linux, Debian Sid or Gentoo which let you use the bleeding edge.
If you have Nvidia, you only need to check this checkbox in pic related (Force Full Composition Pipeline) and you'll never see any screen tearing again.
>>Made by hobbyist who work for free
Red Hat, IBM, Google, etc.
>>Projects can leave and go. They work off of donations
Yeah I expect Red Hat is probably going to randomly drop support for RHEL within their 10 year support cycles.

Linux is:
>Stable and Tried Unix Environment
>It is literally their [IBM, Red Hat, Google, Canonical, SUSE] job and income to keep this OS running
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.