[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: TuxGame.jpg (48KB, 640x520px) Image search: [Google]
TuxGame.jpg
48KB, 640x520px
Why do people say Linux has no games when you can just GPU pass through and play any games you want in a windows VM? Aren't the speeds as fast as natively playing windows?
>>
>>62107198
Why do people think linux has games when it can only play games by running windows?
>>
>>62107225
/thread
>>
>>62107198
Why do people say Linux has no games when they play on Android? Seriously though, I play on my Linux desktop and pretty decent games.

>>62107225
>>62107235
Enjoy your shekels winshills, I enjoy Xonotic which proves you wrong
>>
>>62108182
how do i git gud at fast-paced arena shooters?
>>
>>62108210
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
>>
>>62107198
>GPU pass through
Not all motherboards are compatible. It's also not the easiest thing to set up. Even if it was, people are set in their Windows ways. People are starting to convert, but it will take a lot more than what's happening right now for people to switch.
>>
File: IMG_1978.jpg (7KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1978.jpg
7KB, 300x57px
>>62107198
If it won't run on Wine it's too new and probably an SJW game anyway.
>>
>>62107198
i can run honey select on wine very well, its all what i care.
>>
>>62108210
by playing Quake Champions 25 hours a day
>>
>>62107198
why would you want to waste your time playing games anyways
>>
>>62107198
>gpu passthrough
have you ever actually tried to set it up? its a massive pain in the dick and varies in reliability/if its possible at all based on your motherboard/chipset
>>
>>62107198
I can't run a game properly on my laptop's iGPU, even less so in a VM. Fuck off, I dualboot though.
>>
>>62110304
I hope you don't listen to music, watch movies / television, read books or engage in any kind of hobby at all anon. You'd look like a hypocrite then.
>>
File: 1503144913263.png (94KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1503144913263.png
94KB, 800x800px
>>62107198
Why go through the pain of setting up GPU passthrough when I can just skip Linux altogether and install Windows?
>>
>>62107198
Linux is a system for techies not for gaymers. Unfortunately Linux even without gaymers has retards, e.g., the Ubuntu and Arch communities.
>>
>>62110364
If you have an iommu and an intel cpu you can actually pass the igpu to a windows vm
>>
>>62110143
I think you meant quake live.
>>
Why play video games at all? It's a waste of fucking time and money. I challenge you all to stop playing video games for 2 weeks and the next time you open steam you'll be sighing because you aren't gonna play timewaster shit.
>>
>>62107198
>just GPU pass through
>>
>>62110421
hmm. this sounds interesting. You got a link for this? I doubt the CPU performance will be anything to write home about. i5 5200U for reference.
>>
>>62107198
Actually, no.
Memethrough isnt always comparable.
CPU would be slower
There would be less ram available

And you're running windows in the end.
>>
>>62110679
Exactly. Might as well just install Windows and skip the Linux memeshit
>>
>>62110664
https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/master/docs/igd-assign.txt
Worked with my i7-6500U on Fedora w/ legacy boot and libvirt
You might need to blacklist the i915 kernel module and disable vesafb/efifb on the kernel command line (you can use virsh autostart <vm> to automatically start the guest, which will then hopefully claim the device)
Look into https://www.kraxel.org/blog/2016/04/linux-evdev-input-support-in-qemu-2-6/ for input
>>
>>62110413
That awkward moment when you dualboot Ubuntu & Arch.... and end your sentences with "BTW I use Arch"

BTW I use Arch :)
>>
>>62110955
also http://vfio.blogspot.hu/2016/07/intel-graphics-assignment.html
which explains why this damn thing won't work with ovmf
>>
>>62107225
This. Linux has like zero official support from game publishers. But on the other hand, Steam and modern games are botnet which uses anti-consumer practices. You have to be an idiot to install something like Steam on a last ethical OS out there. Just use Windows if games are that important to you.
>>62110380
Vidia is a very retarded form of entertainment. Most of it is just about pushing a few buttons to kill something. Do you really want to waste your free time on something so uninspiring?
>>
>>62112069
Oh boy, I bet sitting on your ass all day just watching garbage on TV and not moving an inch is so much more inspiring and totally not retarded than vidya!
>>
>>62112080
It is less retarded that to sit on your ass all day and constantly push the same few buttons.
That being said, I regret that I spent so much time doing nothing but watching the Office, the Community, etc. Life is too short. You already shitpost on 4chan, watch moves, etc. I think it's possible to live without yet another form of entertainment, especially the one that is so hostile towards it's consumers (GOG is ok, though).
>>
>>62109402
99.9% of new ones are capable at least on paper
some are a headache to get working
>>
>>62111029
>That awkward moment when
>>
>>62107198
>it's a linux gaming thread

pls fuck off. 90% of the people in this thread are worse gamers than women.
>>
>all these people against videogames in the thread

Feels like I'm at a church in the middle of the Bible belt
>>
>>62112475
>2017
>proud to be a good gamer
>>
>>62112561
I'm not against them but I don't understand people who make them the main proprity when choosing an OS.
>>
Is there an up-to-date list of all Linux games?
>>
>>62110462
As someone that casually played games for about a year during college, I've been without a gaming-based system for about 3 weeks, and I've never wanted to play games more since my childhood.
>>
>>62112561
Bitter pretend programmer NEETs that spent their teens playing WoW, so all gaming to them means wasting 16 hours a day like an idiot.
>>
>>62107198
Because those aren't linux games then dumbo
>>
>>62110462
>time
Not if you enjoy it.
>money
Name another hobby that can net you thousands of hours of entertainment for ~$0-$60. Hell, add $1000 for a PC to that and it's still the best entertainment hours:dollar hobby
>>
>>62112562
>2017
>proud to be a clueless retard
>>
>>62112978
If you want a hobby, why not install archlinux?

>teaches you valuable computer skills that can get you employed and impresses everyone regardless of their technical literacy
>makes you smarter
>free
>>
>>62113142
I have used Arch for the last 3 years and in all reality, it just werks™. I've had FAR less issues with it than any "beginner" distro
>>
File: autism dog.jpg (34KB, 574x382px) Image search: [Google]
autism dog.jpg
34KB, 574x382px
>>62112896
I'm a real programmer, but that was me in my teens.
>>62110462
>Defends Linux for lacking support for x by questioning why x is so clearly desirable to so many people
I play games because I'm bored, tired, and it's relaxing. At the same time, I supplement with passive entertainment (podcasts or shows on the side). Consuming only passive entertainment would be mind-numbing. Consuming it while coding is distracting. Coding 24/7 is exhausting, and your work becomes progressively shittier the more exhausted you are. That's why work shifts are limited. When you get off work, do you go home to do more work to get that morale nice and high for the shitshow tomorrow?
If you play games INSTEAD of working or if you've got no loftier priorities and values than gayming, you've got a problem, but that's the difference between a light drinker and an alcoholic.
>>
>>62107198
why do people say linux has no games when I have to use a Windows VM to play games on my linux
>>
>>62107198
>when you can just GPU pass through and play any games you want in a windows VM?
>Aren't the speeds as fast as natively playing windows?
Not if you have an AMD CPU.
>>
>>62110955
>>62111799
I'll look into this, big if true. But if I throw my iGPU to the VM what's the host left with?
>>
File: 1456525676067.jpg (132KB, 391x311px) Image search: [Google]
1456525676067.jpg
132KB, 391x311px
Reminder that AppImages/Snaps make easy to port and will revolutionize gaming on Linux
>>
>>62110462
A real good use of time is telling other people to stop wasting their time.
>>
File: C9ppxXzU0AAcZV2.jpg large.jpg (59KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
C9ppxXzU0AAcZV2.jpg large.jpg
59KB, 600x338px
While this thread still exists, how the fuck do I get GPU passthrough to work?
Asus Z97-E
Intel i5-4690K
780 Ti

Everything was set up and configured correctly, but whenever I created a VM with UEFI I would just get stuck at the shell. No fs0:, just BLK0, 1 and 2. Do I just have a shitty Windows iso?
>>
>>62107198
All the games worth playing work just fine on Linux, or through wine.
>>
>>62112373
>It is less retarded
Nah. At least the vidya anon pushes buttons and engages with his entertainment. That's better than just sitting there starring into the void.
>>
>>62112562
This. Being happy about being "gud" at games is hilarious. It basically means you don't spend your time getting "gud" at something that can actually be used to better your/others lives. But the brainwashed gamers will try to argue that you can make money by being "gud" at games. This isn't a lie, but it is also a very hard scene to get into and isn't a long term career (at least not at present). Those "pro" gaming tournies are just an advertisement, and they have a certain demo they are targeting with those tournies. No teenager/young adult wants to see some over aged balding skinny fat guy be "gud" at games, so they don't tend to sponsor them. Instead they have younger teams. But with all that said, we are only witnessing the beginning of this stuff. No doubt in the near future there will be more overaged gaming neets willing to sit around watching other overaged gamers be "gud" at games.
>>
Gaymers are just pathetic little creatures that need a place where they can win at least something so they could forget what a terrible losers they are in real life. And corporations know that. That's why they can implement DRM, DLC, free-to-play and any other shit that comes in their mind because they know that their audience is so passive that can be fucked in any way. Oh..wait, I am lying, nobody wants to fuck with these mistakes of nature.
>>
>>62110679
HDD is improved.
Linux has good disk caching and read ahead calls so you get better read performance. Ticking the writeback box gets you better write performance than native windows with filesystems like BTRFS and ZFS.

Vt-x overhead is nonexistent.

RAM ballooning exists.

You get faster speeds on your HDD, better data integrity, sacrifice about 500MB of RAM to run win 7, and access to linux software.
The only thing it prevents/ degrades is SLI and corssfire but they're shit anyway. You can still do them with dual PCB GPUs, if you want to eat shit frametimes.

Windows deserves a nice box you can turn on and off at will because I only use it for the software environment, the base OS is garbage.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.