[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do we really need desktops anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault(2).jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault(2).jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
Not arguing they don't have a market anymore, but to us, as end users with some brains, are they really useful?
>That much power is only needed by gaymers
>Modern laptops have their good amount of power anyway, enough for our needs
>They also have comfy keyboards, expecially if you have a good old Latitude or Thinkpad for your typing stuff
>High end ones like XPS or MBP now feature beautiful 1440p or 4k IPS displays
>We can bring them around in a backpack and work or comfypost everywhere
>Not even saying how better they are for pentesting on the go
>They're more resistant against power outages having a battery

So while servers or some offices may need them, aren't laptops a lot better for computer scientists? Maybe graphic artists or musicians (don't even talk about gayme developers as they're an insult to the whole CompSci field in their pajeetness) may need them, but for programmers and everyone in the CompSci fields I think a laptop is 99% of times the real shit.
>>
Yes, as long as I like using big screens, laptops or tablets are a no-go for me.

Until our phones can power a 4K 50inch screen and can render whatever you throw at it, desktops are necessary.

We're far from that being the case.
>>
>>62104754

laptops are overpriced sandwhiches which overheat

changing and adding components is more difficult, can't really fit more than one hard drive

If you're plugging in a screen and keyboard you're already half-way PC, and if not, the ergonomics are horrendous (height of screen can't be adjusted, distance between keyboard and screen can't be adjusted)
>>
I work in data transformations and use desktops as my dev environment. I don't think I could work with a laptop. I am dual monitor by default (often viewing 3 databases at a time) need lots of ram and Ethernet connections to the server. Sorry wifi adds an overhead and latency that equates to non productive time.
Sure I am a special case but getting rid of the desktop all together seems like a bad idea. I find it's good for my focus to have a specific computer and place set up to get work done.
>>
>>62104503
Desktops will always be relevant. Whatever power can be achieved at any point in a smaller device, more power can be achieved by a desktop. There is and always will be a market for having the most power
>>
>>62105040
My thoughts exactly
>>
>>62104503
Can change more parts and change them much easier, tend to have higher lifespans and for the amount of power they have cost less.
>>
>>62104503
Performant laptops are freakishly loud to me, but I've been building fully silent desktops for years. Guess i'm spoiled.
>>
>>62104503
Fucking genZers
>>
Yes mainly due to cost and laptops not being able to have the same performance as desktops

R7 1700 + Vega 56 mini-itx custom desktop + 4K display: under $2K

Laptop with same specs and performance: does not exist
>>
>>62104503
>That much power is only needed by gaymers
normal fag, i wont train an ANN in a laptop bye.
>>
I own a desktop, a laptop and a smartphone. I barely use the laptop. The desktop is faster and the smartphone is more mobile. Cleaning the laptop fan and the keyboard is a pain in the ass and the small fan is annoying. If anything, laptops are redundant.
>>
>They haven't used a ThinkPad
Get on my level.
>>
>>62104503
If you can run a CPU at 100% for an hour straight a laptop isn't going to be any good for you.
Just buy what you require.
>>
>Small and cramped
>Housefire temps
>Low end hardware
>Expensive as hell

Why would I ever want a laptop?
>>
>>62104503
as long as there's a demographic for customization, easy upgrades, and performance yes. Now if someone made a modular laptop I would switch in a fucking heartbeat. Assuming the manufacturer garenteed longevity
>>
>>62104503
>$1000 laptop
>Dual core with HT
>1050TI
>3-4 hours battery life
>Shitty TN panel

>$1,000 desktop setup
>Ryzen 1600
>GTX 1070
>IPS display

I have a cheap laptop that has good battery life to take out with me and home use a desktop.
>>
Let me know when we can stick a 1080 Ti in one, and then we can talk about abolishing the desktop.
>>
>>62109663
Don't know about you but laptops are not a 2011 macbook computer. My laptop actually has good air flow and keeps below 50 degrees and never reaches above 84.
>>
>>62109663
>Expensive
What kinda of poor cunt are you. You can buy chromebooks for the price of a car tire.
>>
>>62110872
I would also say that a desktops motherboard is faster when pushing data through RAM and CPU.
The power might be higher but over all you get better performance for the cheap end motherboards compared to the cheap end laptops.

I believe that M.2 motherboards handle data better as well.
>>
>>62110906
Let me know when you're not just buying a graphics card to say you have a small dick.

But if you happen to be Linus then you have legit reasons to say that statement.
>>
>>62110906
>Because no games will run if you don't have an extra $1000+ to waste on a card you never needed in the first place
>>
File: yes.png (54KB, 756x633px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
54KB, 756x633px
>>62110872
>>
>>62105040
>>62109663

>>62111048
>>
File: yep.png (50KB, 868x474px) Image search: [Google]
yep.png
50KB, 868x474px
>>62110906
>>
>>62104503
>but for programmers and everyone in the CompSci fields I think a laptop is 99% of times the real shit.
i can't imagine doing anything but the lightest vm work on a laptop
>>
>>62110994
>sorry that people like spending money on their hobbies and gaming on a scissor switch keyboard attached to a 15 inch screen is uncomfortable
>>
>>62111048
Okay, and how much did you pay for that?
>>
>>62110994
Spoken like a true 1080p 60hz pleb.
>>
>>62111130
>I have to buy the best branded shit to be noticed for using a desktop
>I can't use a desktop computer without buying a high end graphics card I never needed in the first place
>I contribute to intelligence of the human race
>>
>>62111155
>nvidia 1060OC - 4k
Get your shit right
>>
>>62111130
>I will never use hardware to the fullest capacity because I never produce enough workload to justify buying a high end graphics card in the first place

Measuring your dick with the brand name of your graphics card must be the new thing now. I do hope you at least make it up to the branded name at least.
>>
File: 92013068.jpg (23KB, 350x200px) Image search: [Google]
92013068.jpg
23KB, 350x200px
>mfw still using a 2007 Sony VAIO
>>
>>62111155
Spoken like someone who thinks owning the best means something in this world. Do you also use RGB LEDs to mark how shit your case is compared to your graphic card(s)?

>He didn't spend $1000 on a case
>>
>>62111146
$1200 AUD from Lenovo and included 3 years warranty
>>
>>62110872
Where the heck do you shop? I can get a Dell Inspiron 7567 gaming laptop for around $800 with an i5, 8GB RAM, full HD IPS screen with a 4GB 1050ti
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.