[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is going to be some good shit. How can ReFS even compe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: APFS-apple-file.jpg (49KB, 660x345px) Image search: [Google]
APFS-apple-file.jpg
49KB, 660x345px
This is going to be some good shit.

How can ReFS even compete, especially when they FUCKING REMOVE IT FROM THE PROFESSIONAL EDITIONS OF WINDOWS (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/microsoft-to-remove-full-refs-support-from-windows-10-pro-push-workstation-sku/)?
>>
>>62103076
>How can ReFS even compete
Well considering that APFS volumes can't span multiple servers, it can't compete with ReFS.
>>
>>62103076
seems bugged... already had to restore my SSD disk 2 times from backups.

last time it was on dp 6, which means it will probably be bugged on release date too
>>
APFS is garbage, even ext2 runs circles around it
>>
>>62104009
go back to r*ddit, tard
>>
>>62104037
Clearly have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>62104055
the irony
>>
>>62104055
Oh, the plutonium
>>
>>62103076
APFS is basically a even worse version of HFS+
>>
>>62104061
>>62104084
Apple_shillz.jpg
>>
File: 1471007438949.jpg (62KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
1471007438949.jpg
62KB, 690x460px
>>62103076
>proprietary filesystem
>shit to boot
Meanwhile, on Linux you have the choice of any file system you want. Even ext* is better than this - how sad for Appletards!
>>
That Nutella really brings Microsoft even more down.
Gates should just replaces him with something better, something who isn't currynigger, nigger or jew.
>>
>>62104176
>propietary filesystem
But APFS is open source.
>>
>>62104089
>>62104140
>[zfs fags screeching]
>>
>>62103076
I'm already using it, it's better than HFS+ but that's all I will say about it.
>>
File: -1.png (130KB, 989x1354px) Image search: [Google]
-1.png
130KB, 989x1354px
>>62104194
>open source.
fuck open source. this is just a gimmick to get idiots to work for free
>>
>>62104194
No.
>>62104228
>fuck open source
Fuck yourself, retard. APFS appears to support encryption - what kind of retard would trust proprietary encryption?
>>
>>62104255
>what kind of retard would trust proprietary encryption?
someone who isnt a fucking criminal and has nothing to hide
>>
>APFS does not checksum user data
>"Data rot is not a problem for our users"
APPLEL LITERALLY EXPECTS YOU TO CHANGE DEVICE REGULARLY

APPLE SHILLS ON SUICIDE WATCH
>>
>>62104352
>APPLEL LITERALLY EXPECTS YOU TO CHANGE DEVICE REGULARLY
you dont understand how bit rot works do you?
>>
brainlet here, how good is APFS compared to HFS+?
>>
>>62104255
Apple will open source APFS with the launching of Darwin code of High Sierra.
> what kind of retard would trust proprietary encryption?
>implying that it would be propietary encryption
>>62104559
ZFS for actual home computers.
>>
Refs is a terrible file system. It's basically Windows version of zfs. It's obvious Microsoft will get rid of refs and make something new because it is so fucking buggy.
>>
>>62103950
>servers
>posts NTFS shit
Stop this, Ramesh.
>>
Why even bother with any of this shit when ext4 is basically perfect?
>>
>>62104228
>a gimmick to get idiots to work for free
I get paid to write open source
>>
>>62104228
um red hat?
>>
>>62103076
Do you even KNOW who the CEO of apple is?
>>
>>62103076
Tell me about it OP, what makes it so great?
>>
File: BTFO.jpg (106KB, 1400x963px) Image search: [Google]
BTFO.jpg
106KB, 1400x963px
>>62103076
ZFS/ BTRFS user here.

Didn't see you way down there.
Just get checksums and dedup?
>>
File: 1503261271995.jpg (227KB, 1280x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1503261271995.jpg
227KB, 1280x1250px
>>62103076
>Apple implementing a crude form of dedup.

This is almost never a good idea without informing the user what is being done transparently.

>Dedup one item when user goes to make a backup
>Original item becomes corrupt through bitflip
>Both copies now corrupt
>User has no idea what happened beyond shit not working

Major pitfall to dedup solutions.
If they're not implementing redundancy in new macbooks they're retarded.
>>
>>62106472
It is ReFS you tard
>>
>>62107644
Vulpix!
>>
>>62107644
>Major pitfall to dedup solutions.
It really only matters with block level backup which no one uses
>>
I know shit about the inner works of file systems, but if APFS is such a POS why doesn't there seem to be a problem with all the iDevices running it currently?
>>
Windows lost the whole filesystems thing when they decided to scrap WinFS, the perfect filesystem that never were.
>>
>>62107753
this

all ios devices running 10.3+ are running APFS, an not only that, ALL of them were converted from HFS+ to APFS on the fly during the update to 10.3

That is some pretty impressive shit
>>
>>62109031
I watched most of the introductory talk at WWDC and it seemed fairly robust and well thought.

So, I'd rather weigh in for APFS than for ReFS. On top of that, all motherfucking Devices that are supported will run APFS and not "Workstation" SKUs only.
>>
>>62104352
ZFS: Geez, APFS, you're still fighting with ReFS when neither of you even has checksumming and scrubbing? Even Btrfs-san does *that*.
Btrfs: EEEEHHH?!
>>
>>62109216
ReFS has both you retard, it also scales across multiple servers which ZFS doesn't. But keep on thinking that your memeFS is worth mentioning.
>>
>>62108720
/thread
>>
>>62103950
Yes they can actually, with iscsi.
>>
>>62109480
That isnt a single volume spanning multiple servers in anywhere close to the same way as storage spaces direct.
>>
>>62109031
>all ios devices running 10.3+ are running APFS

Not only that, all Apple Watches and AppleTVs.

It's frankly baffling how all of those devices were converted on the fly during a software update, and nobody had any fucking idea.
Read/write performance got a boost, and free space was recovered for a lot of people, but other than that it was completely transparent.

I remember the Windows days where it let you "convert" your existing fat32 disk to NTFS during install, but all it did was create a whole new partition, copy your stuff across, format the old partition and copy it back. You'd need the free space available to do this, or a completely seperate disk.
>>
>>62110325
>It's frankly baffling how all of those devices were converted on the fly during a software update, and nobody had any fucking idea.

because the conversion didn't touch any of the existing data

>copy HFS metadata to free space and convert to APFS metadata
>change the filesystem identifier to APFS iff all metadata copied successfully.

until that last step is done, the process is non-destructive can be interrupted at any time for any reason and the system will still boot up as though nothing happened. Apple actually did dry runs during previous iOS 10 updates, they just didn't do the final step of flipping the bit that ids the filesystem as APFS.
>>
>>62103950
What is your opinion on ZFS (on FreeBSD)?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.