[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck this piece of garbage. I was mislead to believe that it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (20KB, 400x331px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
20KB, 400x331px
Fuck this piece of garbage. I was mislead to believe that it's actually useful but in reality it's just yet another product for big corporation to make money off of providing support. It's an overengineered ((((enterprise)))) product that's so convoluted only the devs would understand and that's exactly what they wanted so that enterprise corps would flock to their premium support.
>>
What does it actually do? It used to run on the servers at work, but I never saw the point, so I deleted Docker and ran the applications like normal software on a normal computer, and so far nobody's complained.

I get it that it packages dependencies together with applications, but why do we need that when we have package managers, or at the very least static linking?
>>
>>62103317
Because it means the devs don't have to make it support every distro, they can just focus on deploying to one environment.
>>
>>62102798
so you're too stupid/lazy to learn to use it?

lol fag
>>
>>62103317
>I get it that it packages dependencies together with applications, but why do we need that when we have package managers, or at the very least static linking?

I'm not a filthy devops guy, but my understanding is that it containerizes the entire environment so applications can be deployed (in theory) anywhere, on any platform.
>>
>>62103317
You don't have to worry about a library getting updated and then breaking your existing software since everything is completely packaged together. It's basically bringing Windows style static library links to Linux.

It's good in that it means you don't have to worry about shit like that breaking or weird incompatibility issues between distros, but it's bad because everything is static. So if OpenSSL has a gaping security flaw, you'd normally just update it on your machine and all software that relied on it would be free of the bug. Now you need to update every docker image with a new version of OpenSSL if you want to be secure.
>>
>>62103317
It allows upstream devs to be lazy.
>>
Docker is great. Deploying complex applications has never been easier. Smells like community college in here.
>>
>>62104149
Docker swarm, docker compose... life is good.
>>
Good for development when you want some service running quickly.
>>
>>62104172
>>62104184
>>62104149

ITT: retards too fucking retarded to properly maintain a linux system
>>
>>62104229
ITT someone in a field that doesn't rely on freeware
>>
>>62104229
At my day job we have OCaml, Go, C/C++, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and more services in production. Keeping everything in a docker-compose file for deployments enables us to focus on creating programs rather than focusing on deploying.

You are silly.
>>
>>62102798
How the fuck is it over engineered? It's dead fucking simple to use, nobody needs support for it unless they're a literal retard.
>>
>>62104321
how about you stop being a numale cuck and use a fucking VM

fucking reatrds
>>
>>62104321
Why have multiple sql services in production??
>>
>>62104361
Yes, we make a variety of products.

>>62104343
Google is your friend.

>>62104325
Really.
>>
>>62103317
Its an extension of LXC containers the alternative to KVM on linux and Jails on BSD.

So basically just a tool used to manage containers like ez-jail does on freeBSD, but they also offer a repository of prebuild containers

>>62104343
VM are retarded if you're on a linux host and you want a linux guest(or BSD to some extend), with KVM alone you get near native performance.
>>
>>62104448
> extension of LXC
Nah they have their own alternate implementation now.
>>
>>62103317
It's about virtualisation and horizontal scalability. The fact that the docker hub is full of premade image, isn't the point of this powerfull application.

Isn't docker free as freedom? If not, Is there any alternative that worth to look.
at? Exept obvious jail.
>>
>>62104798
>Is there any alternative that worth to look.
at? Exept obvious jail.
Vanilla LXC, KVM, even chroot can yield the same results as docker but is usually harder to set up (properly) and easier to break.
>>
>>62104858
They have swarm to have cluster?
>>
>>62102798
But its a cool Web 3.0 app that has a cute icon :3. Just fucking use it you fucking nerd
>>
I thought we solved this problem with web frameworks? I don't want to make apps for desktops, the desktop paradigm for apps is shit because updates break everything every 2 months.
>>
containers are great and docker is pretty good, but holy shit why does everything run as root
>>
>>62103317

> More Layers
> More boilerplate
> Another stage on deployment
> Shipping an entire fucking Linux Kernel with a trimmed VirtualBox (Windows and OSx)

Just more shit because our modern """""Developers""""" can't handle Software engineering without some fancy tool.
>>
I'm getting ready to deploy a kubernetes cluster at work. Main use case is for stateless microservices, mainly ETL stuff, scripts that run as cron jobs, etc. it's pretty wasteful to spin up a full vm to run a Python script once a day.

We have thousands of servers and anything we can do to create self service infrastructure and reduce the sprawl is a big win.
>>
>>62104229
A linux system? Docker is best used in server infrastructures. Not that you might understand that, you don't seem to be very knowledgeable on this topic.
>>
We use it and kubernetes at work, I found it super useful. k8s especially. Really easy to say "hm, more traffic than normal? Double the containers for [x] to handle it".

Soon when we get up the latest API version we should be able to write some auto scalers that run off more than just CPU/RAM usage which will be killer.
>>
>>62102798
Docker is incredibly simple and if you can't figure it out then you need to get tested for the autism.
>>
>>62107805
Of course /g/ hasn't ever worked in an actual data center or enterprise environment so they have no idea what they talk about. Containerization is great to stop entropy from creeping into systems, with each gradually ending up in a different state making everything a maintenance nightmare. You can just redeploy a container to an image without faulty conditions induced at runtime, or you can switch platform easily because you don't have hard dependencies on hardware.

But please, continue your suckless rant.
>>
>>62102798
Why does /g/ always hate new, popular things?
>>
>>62109464
Because new, popular things generally smell of w̶h̶a̶l̶e̶ snake oil.
>>
The one aspect of Docker I really hate is how they do networking in general.
For example having no convenient way to disable docker's network isolation, having to add /udp to a port forwarding rule for it to forward udp, having no way to have a container get an IP via DHCP and a dozen other gripes.
>>
>>62103317
It's usable to emulate the whole network with certain amount of nodes on a single machine. Name a better way to test replicated db's for example.
Faggot.
>>
File: Portainer_-_2017-08-27_11.59.02.png (151KB, 1080x1830px) Image search: [Google]
Portainer_-_2017-08-27_11.59.02.png
151KB, 1080x1830px
>>62111902
yeah, it can be a bit flakey - I think that'ss the nature of docker, its lots of things stuffed together and some of it doesn't really mesh (yet)

Can try playing with the network objects, they might help. not messed with them much. I usually just expose stuff to the host then talk to that.
>>
>>62102798
>one line of code can deploy bunch of servers+networking behind them immediately
>piece of garbage
>>
>>62111902
>having no way to have a container get an IP via DHCP and a dozen other gripes.
Just use bridged networking.
>>
Another retard here. How does Docker differ from Flatpack, Snap or just zipping and distributting a chroot image?
>>
>>62112073
I don't think Flatpack and Snap actually run in a containerised environment.

Docker does a whole lot of other things anyway, they're different use cases.
>>
>>62111917
Docker isn't suited for stateful applications, it's a container for stateless applications, like Nginx, Jetty or PHP-FPM. It's possible to use it for databases, but you're using the wrong tool.
The faggot is you. Use LXC.
>>
>>62107827
>I'm getting ready to deploy a kubernetes cluster at work
Same, we are already using Rancher to manage containers but it has been unreliable for us, tends to have some weird bugs.

Kube cluster with kops in AWS will be our next step.

>>62109457
this
>>
>>62102798
1. Containers are useful.
2. Immutable infrastructure saves you time and money.
3. Docker isn't a very good product.
>so convoluted
Not really. It's just that the docs suck.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.