[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>GNU/Linux why don't we say Gnilux instead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 1503706703568.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1503706703568.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>GNU/Linux
why don't we say Gnilux instead?
>>
Because every scenario where the letter G gets added in as non-silent letter it becomes an unpronounceable mess which will never catch on. You can't top "Linux" as a name, it's unique and clear.
>>
File: tux.jpg (63KB, 674x1054px) Image search: [Google]
tux.jpg
63KB, 674x1054px
>>62099765
why not just "tux"
>>
LiGNUx
>>
>>62099765
Because it's gay enough to be saying Gnu/Linux. Stallman insists on this nonsense out of pride and a need to interject himself as a spokeman for Linux. The Linux Foundation can change the name if they choose, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
>>
>>62099923
Why is that penguin actually fat? I dont get it
>>
>>62099765
dumb frogposter
>>
>>62099948
>62099458
>>
>>62099980
shit
>>62099458
>>
File: 1491499738131.png (471KB, 778x962px) Image search: [Google]
1491499738131.png
471KB, 778x962px
>>62099923
this fämäläm
>>
Dumb Frogposter
>>
Can I remove anything related to GNU from Linux so I can just call it Linux and tell RMS to calm his autism?
>>
>>62100803
There is Alpine Linux but even Debian GNU/Hurd is more useful (as a daily drive) if it runs on your hardware
oh and there is also Cancer Linux that is called Android
>>
>>62099765
Because GNU is just riding on the coat-tails of Linux.
>>
>>62100803
You can't do much with just the Linux part.
You'll end up installing abunch of libraries n sheeit.
>>
>>62101538
Alpine's userspace is more useful than Hurd, faggot.
>>
>>62101722
Linux wouldn't have become as commonly used today if it weren't for GNU. Linus only intended to build a hobby kernel for his x86 PC because MINIX didn't take advantage of his fancy hardware. The reason Linux (the kernel) is so widely deployed today is because people took the GNU OS components that had been released and ran them on Linux as all GNU was missing was a kernel.
>>
>>62102055
No one uses GNU without Linux, loads are using Linux without GNU, the most famous example is Android.
>>
>>62101538
>Debian GNU/Hurd is more useful (as a daily drive)
Citation needed. I doubt that it will even run on your machine.
>>
>>62102055
No, the reason Linux is so widely deployed today is that companies like Red Hat gave other companies the opportunity for someone to be held accountable in case anything broke - THAT is why Linux is so big, it's not because it's a good OS (which it is, although I'm partial to the BSDs depending on use-case), and not because someone who eats food off his foot re-implemented emacs once upon a time, and then never coded again but instead managed to get his lifes work getting taken over by a bunch of lawyers who has made GPL into a cancerous license that most companies tend to avoid like the plague because they don't want to get sued.
>>
>>62102146
That anon wisely added the caveat "if it runs on your hardware" which makes the BSDs way more of a choice any day of the week ending in y.
>>
>>62102163
GNU/Hurd/KVM/Linux
>>
Ive been saying Gnilux ever since Debian 4.
>>
>>62102211
More or less, except nowadays it's more likely to be a proprietary cloud running on opensource software (S3/EC or Compute Cloud on Xen or KVM) - which is kind of ironic, in its own special way: the opensource revolution reduced to running proprietary monolithic software on hardware that the customers have no control over and don't even own.
>>
>>62099765
Lignux is the only way forward.
>>
>>62099765
Nice Try Stallman.
>>
>>62099765
because if stallman was not an autistic jew nobody would use the term gnu/linux
>hurr durr you use my legacy work to compile your khernal so put GNU before it
its unreal engine tier jewery imho, he should've stated in gpl that people who happen to license succesful projects with it must put GNU/ before its name, fucking jew.
>>
Because neither is correct, it's just "Linux"
>>
>>62100068
leave this board faggot
>>
>>62102055
Let's call Windows "Games/Windows"
>>
File: based terry god.png (622KB, 902x762px) Image search: [Google]
based terry god.png
622KB, 902x762px
>>62102361
>>
>>62099765
RMS ran LiGNUx up the flagpole, but nobody saluted.
wikipedia / gnu/linux naming controversy.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.