[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Macbook Pro 13

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 11

File: 2128921.gif (701KB, 600x567px) Image search: [Google]
2128921.gif
701KB, 600x567px
Are Macs not such a meme as I thought?

The base model mac wins in almost every important category over the XPS:

>Better CPU and GPU performance over even the top tier XPS.
>Much better screen with more area, the QHD+ screen on the XPS wins, but is much much more expensive.
>Build quality miles better, checked for myself in a store.
>Trackpad and keyboard (subjectively) better.
>A very fast SSD, however the upgrade to 250gb is an insane 400€ more.
>Two full speed Thunderbolt 3 ports vs. the XPS 13's one at half speed.
>Much better speakers

Where the XPS wins:

>User-replacable parts, but it's just the SSD and the WiFi card.
>Smaller bezels, but a smaller screen overall with a THICC bottom bezel.
>More IO, but you need a dongle with both laptops.
>Quieter and does not throttle, the Mac still wins in performance.
>Is not only for women and homosexuals.

But the Mac is much more expensive, right? Well where I live the base model Mac is 1440€ and the base XPS 13 is 1530€ (i5, 8GB, 250GB)

So does the Mac have the XPS beat? What would you guys go with, ignoring the OS?
>>
>>62099261
Macbook Pro easily is the best choice for 90% of all use cases.
People hating or it are usually just poorfags stuck with chinkshit or emotional hatefags that fail to see the value in a product because they don't like the brand.
>>
Yep. You did what 90% of this board can't manage to do and actually do some research. Also keep in mind the MBP will retain it's value drastically better than the XPS. In a few years that XPS will be worth 200-300 bucks (look at why used thinkpads are such a good deal) meanwhile you can sell the macbook in 3-4 years for 700-800.
>>
There's just one thing I'd get an older MacBook Pro over the current models for: the keyboard.
It's not really a pleasant experience to type on this almost flat surface with near to no key-travel.
Apple's next idea will be to integrate an iPad as a keyboard replacement. Mark my words.
>>
>>62099454
The keyboard is MUCH better on the recent models. They gave the keys more travel than the first gen butterfly keys. When I go back to the old keyboard it feels so mushy in comparsion.
>>
>>62099261
Do you even know who the CEO of apple is?
>>
File: 1449839249356.jpg (100KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1449839249356.jpg
100KB, 1024x576px
>>62099454
>iPad as a keyboard

Steve Jobs would he rolling in his grave. If there was one thing he was good at it was not making atrocious design decisions
>>
>>62099502
>Smartcase
If the phone was a full bulge it would be harder to get out of your pocket. Also harder to hold.

>Apple Pencil
This is not the normal way to charge it. This is an option in case you're out away from power and you need to charge it. This is the same shit as plugging in a flash drive into a USB wall outlet and taking a picture.

>Mouse
Would ruin the design if you had a port sticking out of it. Only have to charge it probably once a month anyway.
>>
File: 1484279035968.jpg (406KB, 1750x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484279035968.jpg
406KB, 1750x960px
>>62099261
Seriously anon, don't fall for the slimline meme. Look at thicker laptops and you'll get more for your money.
>>
>>62099261
Eh, I can get a xps 13 for 1100$ w/ a 256 ssd and a similar processor.
>>
File: c2643aacefe5603f81cf7bead5c04bb5.jpg (180KB, 1500x1433px) Image search: [Google]
c2643aacefe5603f81cf7bead5c04bb5.jpg
180KB, 1500x1433px
>>62099552
Correct battery case coming through.

It's a replacement battery and phone back, triple the capacity. Wish phones still had this open.

And for the mouse, plenty of modern wireless mice have the USB port tucked under the front in the same place a normal mouse would have a cable.
>>
>So does the Mac have the XPS beat? What would you guys go with, ignoring the OS?
>ignoring the OS

the whole point is what OS it runs.

macOS is shit and XPS 13 has a linux functioning variant that doesn't depend on kernelspace blobs from shitty ass broadshit.

obviously the XPS 13 Developer Edition is outright superior unless you need to be a macfaggot then you don't have any choice but the macbook.
>>
File: Magic_Mouse.jpg (3MB, 4752x3168px) Image search: [Google]
Magic_Mouse.jpg
3MB, 4752x3168px
>>62099695
Tucking the USB port under the front would break the design.
>>
File: 1483783552409.png (692KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
1483783552409.png
692KB, 1152x768px
>>62099654

I know, I get MUCH more for the money if I get a normal sized laptop from Asus, Acer an the like, I can even get a slim Zenbook for 500€ less with same or better specs than the XPS. But I don't want that. I want something sleek and premium-feeling. And so far the only choices I found that are not the meme Y processors are the XPS, MBP, LG Gram, Spectre and the Razer Stealth. The Lg Gram and the Razer are unobtanium in EU, the Spectre has shit specs and thick bezels. So what I am left with are these two.

>>62099713

Yeah, it's nearly impossible to run Linux on the MBP, which is a shame since I do like Linux for certain things I do, but for the things I need my laptop to do I'm really just fine with OS X and Windows. That said I very rarely use software that's not free, so not having a Linux option down the road does bother me slightly.

But it can't be impossible to do it if a Powerbook G4 from 2001 I have could run Ubuntu can it? It's also the only Apple product I currently own it was like 30€ so i said fuck it. (Pic related)
>>
On the other hand, do you think the """new""" Intel CPU's for Ultrabooks will make a difference? Benchmarks suggest the i5's to get about 450 points in Cinebench while the i7's get 500. The current MBP gets 380 points. Will Dell change anything else in their 4th generation XPS design or will it be just a CPU bump? Judging by past releases it should come out next one or two months.
>>
File: IMG_20170819_163720.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170819_163720.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>>62099261
>>
File: 1500689956845.png (2MB, 1920x1019px) Image search: [Google]
1500689956845.png
2MB, 1920x1019px
>>62099261
>the state of apple
>>
>>62101844
>>62101869

First, I was talking about the 13" Macbook and the 13" XPS, NOT the 15" verisons with GPUs.

Second, why would you disable the GPU? I don't understand the purpose of this test.

Third, I use DaVinci Resolve, which is the same on any OS, all it cares about is the hardware, and in this case the MBP wins. The 13" one that is.
>>
>>62102147
>macshit

lmao

Enjoy your housefire and 80% performance loss in any intensive application.
>>
File: 1496935098410.jpg (2MB, 1800x4500px) Image search: [Google]
1496935098410.jpg
2MB, 1800x4500px
>>62099261
>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have <70% aRGB
>gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

http://www.howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?
>>
>>62102147
I was honestly thinking about trying a macbook pro (13 in) as well. I've been using windows all my life and i want to see what its like on an apple machine.
>>
>>62102202

Allright, here is the deal, I don't like Apple. Not at all. I don't like how closed their ecosystem is, I don't like the lack of customizability and I definitely hate the fact that every fucking component has to be soldered. I despise Apple and their business tactics, the vast majority of their products and especially the price tag they put on them.

That said I was specifically talking about the base model MacBook Pro 13, perhaps I should have been clearer on that point. This laptop is the ONLY Apple product that makes sense to me money-wise. The verison with the toucbar, the 15" and every other MBP is way overpriced and beaten by alternatives.

So, considering JUST the base model 13":

Louis is one of my favourite youtubers and this glitch really is stupid as shit, I don't know if they did but I hope they fixed it, same with old TB3

>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
Personal preference, I like it however I am the kind of person who switched from a mechanical to a scissor switch keyboard.

>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
Was about the same volume as my current laptop when I tested it.

>memetouch emojibar
I agree, but not on the base model.

>no USB-A
You are going to buy a dongle with every ultrabook you buy today if you are anywhere near an advanced user

>no escape
Not on the base model

>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
Correct, one of the biggest things holding me back from it. But the alternatives usually do have soldered RAM

>tamper tape on battery screws
Name one company that does not fuck with your right to repair. I don't like it but everybody does it.

>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
Still gets 11hrs by most reviewers on a wifi test.

>2 hour battery life
Actually, while under full load it gets 1 hour of battery while the XPS gets 2, but it does perform better.

>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss
Aye, name me one OS that is flawless and is still usable on a daily basis.
>>
>>62102519
I've got the 2017 13" and I like it. The only thing that kinda sucks is the keyboard, but you get used to it. Everything else just screams premium.
>>
>>62102765
2 rupees have been deposited in your Apple Evangelism Account Pajit.
>>
>>62102783
god i wish that were me
>>
File: tumblr_m98otyOjNT1ru1dcc.gif (417KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m98otyOjNT1ru1dcc.gif
417KB, 180x180px
>>62099261
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.