[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /g/, Windows 7 vs 8.1 in 2017. Let's do this shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 9

File: maxresdefault.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
Alright /g/, Windows 7 vs 8.1 in 2017.

Let's do this shit
>>
>>62095886
The UI of Windows 8 is shit. However, at least it can be modified relatively easily.
I like the StartIsBack + Aero Glass for Windows 8 + OldNewExplorer combo

Windows 10, on the other hand, has a bunch of spyware that's difficult to fully neuter without potentially breaking the OS.
>>
Where could I get a clean Windows 8.1 iso?
I want to try it out in a VM
>>
>>62095886
I use Classic Shell with OldNewExplorer and a Prenumbra 8 theme on my 8.1 install and I couldn't be happier. No forced modern UI and telemetry bullshit. Basically less bloated 7.
>>
if it wasnt for the shit smartphone ui, windows 8 would be a decent os replacement for win 7.
>>
I can't think of a single reason to use 8, 8.1 or 10 over 7. Not one.
>>
>>62096170
10 is the future, you'll have to switch
>>
>>62096226
I'll switch... to Linux.
>>
>>62096170
8.1 is a little faster, and it'll get updates for longer.
Just use it with StartIsBack + Aero Glass + OldNewExplorer and it works similar to 7.
>>
>>62096039
>Windows 10, on the other hand, has a bunch of spyware that's difficult to fully neuter without potentially breaking the OS
It's another episode of "tech illiterate /v/edditor thinks 7 and 8.1 is not spying on him"
>>
>>62096257
Sure. Why didn't you already?
>>
>>62096257
already did the same thing out of the same reason
only for the occasional street fighter match i have to dual boot
>>
>>62096257
t. XPfags when told they'd have to upgrade to 7
Funny how they all just ended up moving to 7 and started saying it's the best Windows OS ever.
>>
>>62096274
>faster
Hardware.
>updates
Why?

You're in denial.
>>
>>62096284
This, I can't believe how people suddenly think 7 isn't spyware just because 10 is worse. It's almost like MS does it on purpose.
>people catching on to the fact that your OS is spyware
>release new version with even worse spyware
>everyone looks at the old version and says "well it's not so bad, it could be worse, at least it's not [new version]"
>everyone happily uses the old version thinking it's ""secure"" even though they're still willingly sending you all their data like the cattle they are
>>
>>62096342
>>updates
>Why?
If you're technologically illiterate please refrain from posting on the technology board.
>>
>>62096377
I asked you a question. Can you answer it, or are you just pretending to know what you are talking about?

Why updates? What are they for?
>>
>>62095886
Windows 10, it has the stability of 7 and speed of 8.1.
>>
>>62096396
Are you asking why updates to fix vulnerabilities in software that has unrestricted access to all of your computer hardware, and by extension anything you do or have on your computer, are important? Enjoy getting RATed by some skiddie using a 5 year old exploit from milw0rm because you don't think you need updates I guess.
>>
>>62096297
I already have it on my work laptop.
>>
>>62096446
The irony. Technological illiteracy is how you get malware. You have a perception of hacking similar to hollywood movies.
>>
>>62096469
>>62096396

>Technological illiteracy is how you get malware.
You are fucking retarded, that's the only thing I can say. Kill yourself out of /g/ and back to /v/eddit with you.

>You have a perception of hacking similar to hollywood movies.
And you have basically no perception at all. You don't seem to realize it, but you can get your shit infected purely by sharing network with retarded tech illiterates (like you), or getting hit by 0 day venerability. Not all exploit rely on retards like you running .mp3.exe.
>>
>>62096469
You can get malware by not patching exploits for years.
>>
>>62096510
More and more irony from your posts. Sharing a network with tech illiterates is technologically illiterate, you fail. running mp3.exe is technologically illiterate, you fail. getting hit by a zero-hour vulnerability is tautological to running mp3.exe, you fail.

I'll say it again: There is not a single reason to use 8, 8.1 or 10 over 7, and people like you arguing otherwise only reinforces my conviction.
>>
>>62096527
Yeah? It just magically appears on your computer? Explain the process, tech wizard.
>>
>>62096469
The point of vulnerabilities is to reduce the reliance on user stupidity. Malware doesn't need an exploit if it can trick a user into downloading it and running it with a high privilege level. But if there is a privilege escalation vulnerability in the user's system for example, then it only needs the user to run it, removing the additional step of requiring the user to grant it certain privileges. This is an easier mistake for a user to make. Now, if the user's system is also running vulnerable software that allows for remote execution of arbitrary code, then the user does not even need to be tricked into installing the malware themselves at all. Congratulations, you have now been infected with malware without doing anything other than simply running vulnerable software. No user input was required and you are now an unknowing participant in Ivan's botnet.

>>62096542
You are either underageb& or have a very elementary understanding of this whole thing. Feel free to look up such worms as sasser and blaster. Both of these worms abused vulnerabilities that had been previously patched by Microsoft, but still caused ridiculous amounts of damage because idiots like you think you don't need updates as long as you don't run britney_spears_nude.jpg.scr.exe.
>>
>>62096542
yes explain every windows exploit since the release of win7
>>
>>62096542
yes, this exact thing has happened on large scales countless times with windows before
>>
>>62096566
>then it only needs the user to run it
Technological illiteracy, just like I said. You fail.

>Now, if the user's system is also running vulnerable software
Circular logic. Requires initial technological illiteracy in installing vulnerable software. You fail.
>>
>>62096607
>Technological illiteracy, just like I said. You fail.
You appear to have level of general English illiteracy.

>Circular logic. Requires initial technological illiteracy in installing vulnerable software. You fail.
Yet you are running Windows.
>>
>>62096586
Yes, because people are technologically illiterate and open doors. You aren't explaining the process because you don't know what you are talking about.
>>
8 is objectively faster and more modern. 7 cant even mount disk images lol. Also the ui is in fact superior. The start menu is not for everyone but the removal of the hideous aero glass is great.
But both are shit
>>
>>62096621
Nothing but insults. The cries of somebody who's wrong as fuck.
>>
>>62096622
you open the door simply by using outdated windows versions retard, serious security holes are discovered in windows all the time and require constant patching to close.
>>
>>62096636
>outdated windows is vulnerable because it is vulnerable
All of these tautologies, my god. Can you explain the process of """hacking""" these """security holes"""?
>>
>>62096631
Your installation of Windows, especially without updates installed, is vulnerable software. I certainly agree that running it makes you technologically illiterate, but you seem to be almost arguing with yourself at this point. You say that there's no point in installing updates because you need to be technologically illiterate to get infected with malware, including by running vulnerable software. But not installing updates means you are running vulnerable software, so you are calling yourself technologically illiterate while saying you aren't going to get infected by malware because you're not technologically illiterate. You're going entirely in circles.
>>
>>62096542
Just as an example:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx
> The most severe of the vulnerabilities could allow remote code execution if an attacker sends specially crafted messages to a Microsoft Server Message Block 1.0 (SMBv1) server.
>>
>>62096689
Explain the process as to how someone would place malware on your computer without your involvement. The irony...
>>
I don't understand why anyone uses 7. 8.1 is more up to date, performs better and retains all the functionality 7 does. If you don't like the interface, you can easily change it with 3rd party tools to be like 7.

You can have windows 7, but faster and with more modern features, with the same level of botnet, and yet people refuse. Makes zero sense.
>>
>>62096693
Requires connecting to a network that a stranger can access. Lots and lots of irony in this thread, every post it increases.
>>
File: 1488553207610.png (94KB, 876x916px) Image search: [Google]
1488553207610.png
94KB, 876x916px
>>62096674
In the example I provided of sasser, you can view details of the exploits here, as well as a number of other unrelated but just as serious exploits.
https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms04-011

Sasser in particular abused the following exploit in LSASS: http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2003-0533
>>
I don't understand why anyone uses 8.1. 10 is more up to date, performs better and retains all the functionality 8.1 does. If you don't like the interface, you can easily change it with 3rd party tools to be like 8.1.

You can have windows 8.1, but faster and with more modern features, with the same level of botnet, and yet people refuse. Makes zero sense.
>>
>>62096537
>I'll say it again: There is not a single reason to use 8, 8.1 or 10 over 7, and people like you arguing otherwise only reinforces my conviction.

I will say it again, you have no idea what you are talking about, leave this board and fuck off back to /v/ where you came from. Tech-illiterates are not welcome here.
>>
>>62096721
Judging by the fact that you're posting here I'll assume your computer is not airgapped.
>>
>>62096726
There isn't a single exploit on this list that doesn't require action from the user.

>>62096730
Yet you cannot explain how somebody places malware on your computer without your involvement, because they cannot. Cognitive dissonance has set in, and you are flinging insults out of anger because you are afraid that you are wrong.
>>
>>62096721
A network that a stranger can access. Gee, I wonder if there might be some kind of network that you're accessing now to talk to strangers.
>>
>>62096736
Yeah someone 007ing my house to access my network isn't about technological literacy that's getting into the territory of home security.
>>
>>62096744
The only action you need to take is connecting to a network.
>>
>>62096757
Your network is connected to the internet, I assume, otherwise you would not be posting here.
>>
See: https://www.cvedetails.com
You could find critical vulnerabilities which would, for example, only require you to browse to a website and not have Javascript disabled.
>>
>>62096746
Embarrassing semantical argument at best, complete ignorance of networking as a whole more likely.
>>
>>62096775
Embarrassing semantical argument at best, complete ignorance of networking as a whole more likely.
>>
>>62096775
no you dont understand he has an uber 1337 firewall he's totally locked down bro
>>
>>62096777
Such as?
>>
>>62096783
>>62096806
>it's a bot
>>
>>62096355
what exactly are they sending?
>>
>>62096783
> Can't hack me brah I got Norton
>>
>>62096826
Got hit with the same desperate argument at the same time.
>>
>>62096820
I am 100% confident he has firewalls disabled, both software and hardware ones. Firewalls are unnecessary and for tech illiterates.
Also it interferes with his gayming activities.
>>
>>62096327
and look at how people are not saying win10 is the best after upgrading, instead they are going back to 7 lol
>>
>>62096850
>resorting to strawman arguments after getting buttfucked
Yawn
>>
>>62096835
Well that's just it, you can't know exactly what. You just have to trust them. That's why non-free software is an injustice to the user.
>>
>>62096822
Search yourself, I pointed you to a site entirely dedicated to listing vulnerabilities. Just sort them by highest score first or something.
>>
>>62096865
i cant know because wireshark doesnt show anything, nice try tho
>>
>>62096877
Yeah dude there's a vulnerability where you just have to sit in your chair and suddenly someone has your credit card information. Search for yourself.

In other words, you have no idea.
>>
>>62095886
ZorinOS / Lite
>>
>>62096854
This is the equivalent of saying vista sucks I'm going back to win2000. Bizarre.
>>
>>62096886
You think you're just magically immune to literally every circumstance every vulnerability could possibly use as an attack vector.
Whatever, you're an idiot, and you're not going to change your mind.
>>
>>62096886
more strawman to help my strawman
>>
>>62096902
because vista was shit at that time, just like 10 is right now
>>
>>62096917
You completely missed the point.
>>
>>62096922
the point is that 10 is shit
>>
>>62096917
Yeah, but they're shit for different reasons.
Vista was shit because it was a ground up rewrite of Windows, and of course there were going to be bugs and compatibility issues.
Windows 10 is shit by design.
>>
>>62096904
No, I just have experience dealing with keyloggers and other forms of malevolent software and understand how such things end up on a computer as well as their limitations.

>>62096912
I literally just gave your argument back to you. If you think it doesn't make sense, that's because it doesn't make sense, which is precisely why I mirrored it.
>>
8.1 with Classic Shell and all metro stuff removed/disabled.
>>
>>62096433
If u compare speeds between 7, 8.1 and 10 they are in the margin of error. IMO W7 performs the best in actual use. W10 is unfinished and has search issues with the latest version. also ads, bloat, apps, spyware, updates...just no.
>>
>>62096933
Give me one reason why you believe not keeping your PC up to date is better than doing it.
Do you only apply this "logic" to your windows installation, or do you keep all your software outdated like this?
>>
>>62096933
> No, I just have experience dealing with keyloggers and other forms of malevolent software and understand how such things end up on a computer as well as their limitations.
Your experience with keyloggers is not relevant. If your system contains a vulnerability and it is not patched, it could potentially be exploited. It doesn't matter how smart you think you are; keep your software patched for vulnerabilities.
>>
>>62096854
Even most people on /g/ who use Windows are using 10. I'm not sure where this idea that there's some sort of mass exodus of 10 users switching to 7 has come from. Last month, 10 had 26.80% of Windows installations, this month it's up to 27.63% whereas 7 fell from 49.04% to 48.63%. This is data according to netmarketshare which has always been more conservative with Windows 10 numbers than other sources, statcounter has Windows 10 up from 36.6% to 36.93% and 7 down from 45.76% to 45.73%. Steam did display a decline in Windows 10 users, down from 50.33% to 49.59% and 7 up from 32.05% to 32.91%, but this is the only month it has done so and the overall trend shows very rapid adoption of Windows 10.

Either way there is a very clear trend of continued Windows 10 adoption, with Windows 7's market share being eaten into the most.
>>
>>62096951
Careful, these guys are really defensive over their updates.
>>
>>62096960
>Even most people on /g/ who use Windows are using 10.
LMAO
>>
>>62096960
> Even most people on /g/ who use Windows are using 10.
I actually doubt that.
>>
>>62096978
we can only hope
>>
>>62096978
>>62096975
This seemed to be the case in most strawpools actually. Obviously those are easy to fake, especially on /g/, but 10 usually get pretty high scores in those pools.
>>
>>62095886
gentoo
>>
>>62096956
Because in order to do so I have to install an operating system that openly admits itself that it is spyware. I would rather keep an operating system that is already secure and works than """upgrade""" to spyware that has lots of compatibility and memory issues and is some weird clunky hybrid of desktop and tablet tech that mines you as part of the user agreement.

Why would I run software in the background that has administrative access?

>>62096958
And yet none of you geniuses can explain the process in which one of these exploits is utilized without user action.
>>
>>62096975
Every poll I've seen suggests 10 is by far the most used here.
>>
>>62096131
piratebayproxy DOT in/torrent/11116438/WINDOWS_8.1_PRO_x64-ACTIVATED(EXCELLENT)
>>
>>62095886
its easier for me to get a hang of original 8.1 iso + official ms toolkit (for uefi)/ or daz loader, so i choose 8.1.
>>
>>62096975
>>62096978
In all available sources such as speccy/desktop threads and strawpolls the vast majority of Windows users appear to be using 10. Granted, it's not going to be a definitive source, but I wouldn't take the existence of a lot of "wow 7 is the best 8 and 10 r teh suxx!!" threads as evidence of a very high number of 7 users. Remember that the board was full non-stop of "XP is the best everything else is trash!!" as late as 2013 despite the fact that virtually nobody was actually using it. As the holdouts get closer to being forced to let go of their OS, they get more and more vocal. I expect you'll see the pro-7 threads get more intense over the next couple of years until they all disappear overnight and either move on to Win8/10 or different operating systems altogether.

It's just the normal Windows release cycle. I remember it happening as far back as XP with the 98 holdouts in Windows communities. "Why do I need NT I'm not using a workstation", "You need real mode DOS to do actual work", "XP doesn't run on my Pentium 100", etc etc.
>>
>>62097028
>And yet none of you geniuses can explain the process in which one of these exploits is utilized without user action.
You have already been given example, wannacry required no user action (other than not patching OS) to have people's files encrypted.
>>
>>62097050
>WINDOWS_8.1_PRO_x64-ACTIVATED(EXCELLENT)
>clean Windows 8.1 iso

xd
>>
>>62097089
thats because nt actually inproved over 98, 10 does nothing better than 7, its literally botnet: the service pack
>>
>>62097096
You have to be on a network that allows filesharing to be affected by it, i.e. tech illiteracy. Already pointed that out.
>>
>>62097100
I use it in a VM works smooth af, pre-activated with the km spico thing
>>
>>62097089
There's no reason to think /g/ doesn't mimic the world at large, especially the gaming segment, and those markets generally put 10 at top with 50%, 7 behind at 35% and 8.1 at I think 10%. I'll never understand 7 users, but that's how it goes.
>>
>>62096131
from microsoft you mongoloid, you dont need a windows install or a key.
>>
>>62097116
There were plenty of 98 holdouts at the time who did not agree with you.
>>
>>62097154
not the point, once they upgraded they were happy about nt, thats not the case with 10 because its well known that people are sick it it and are going back to 7
>>
>>62097151
>>62097100
Or this is a option just download kmspico for activation and use the official windows 8.1 ISO.
If you are in denial with this
>>62097050
>>
>>62097028
>And yet none of you geniuses can explain the process in which one of these exploits is utilized without user action.
It's not just one process. It's specific to each vulnerability.
>>
>>62097127
> Nobody who is tech literate ever has a Windows PC on a network with file sharing
Man, you're a true idiot.
>>
>>62097154
I've had 10 a couple of times and installed 7 over it, most of my friends have similar stories. I know one guy who insists on 10 for the latest version of directx, but can't name a game that uses it.
>>
>>62097173
>because its well known that people are sick it it and are going back to 7
This is a meme and people need to stop basing their knowledge on ""tech"" blog clickbait headlines.
See
>>62096960

In one source (Steam) 10 showed a drop of under 1%, which is nothing considering the general trend. Other sources didn't even show 10's market share dropping at all.

It is worth noting that 7 also had multiple months where its' market share dropped by sub-1% amounts. But it's irrelevant because all that matters is the trend.

>>62097211
Anecdotes aren't a substitute for evidence.
>>
>>62097189
And I've asked for one example, and received not a word. A few mistakes, like people thinking that wannacry can effect any computer. There's a reason it mainly effected computers used by businesses and governments, open filesharing networks.

>>62097202
I'm not arguing that there is no such thing as someone who uses windows that's tech illiterate, where did you get that idea? I just said that faulty user action is required to obtain malware. Why the shift in goalposts?
>>
>>62097219
Evidence of what? I was telling a story, don't even know who you're arguing with or what about. Looks like someone's pissing you off.
>>
>>62097219
>expecting /g/ to understand statistics
these are the people who rush to spam "X BTFO AND FINISHED AND BANKRUPT" because stock price fluctuates.
>>
File: 1499652617342.jpg (411KB, 600x860px) Image search: [Google]
1499652617342.jpg
411KB, 600x860px
>>62097219
your system is a meme, 10 has only 25% marker share after forcing a lot of user to force upgrade while 7 had over 35% in the same time frame, people dont want it. 10 would not even have this 25% ifnot that force upgrade thing
>>
>>62096630
>>62096706
This. There are two kind of people who use 7 over 8.1, gaymers who fall for the 7 is good meme, and ricers since 7 has a bigger ricing community and arguably more themes/tweaks.
>>
>>62097242
> And I've asked for one example, and received not a word
You have, you're just an idiot.
>>
>>62097259
If you aren't going to read please don't reply.

>>62097252
My bad, I didn't check what post you were replying to properly.
>>
>>62096932
>ground up rewrite of Windows
It abosultely was not. There were major updates to the NT kernel, we went from NT 5(.1 or .2, depending whether XP x64 or not) all the way back from Windows 2000. It retained a massive amount of code even from the 9x, let alone previous versions of NT.
Was it a massive change and caused compatibilty and instability issues with software, incl. drivers, written for previous versions of Windows? Yes.
Was Windows rewritten from the ground up? Not even close.
>>
>>62097242
> I'm not arguing that there is no such thing as someone who uses windows that's tech illiterate, where did you get that idea?
>>62097127
>You have to be on a network that allows filesharing to be affected by it, i.e. tech illiteracy.
> i.e. tech illiteracy.
Moron.
>>
>>62097275
Such as? Quote a post, or repeat, because no, nobody has described a process where malware infects a computer without faulty user action.
>>
>>62096880
how can you trust the kernel?
>>
>>62097291
> It abosultely was not.
It was. They tried simply modifying the existing Windows NT 5.x kernel from XP; that was Longhorn. They scrapped it and rewrote the kernel from scratch.
>>
>>62097259
10 has anywhere between 27% and 50% depending on the statistics source
>>
>>62097297
you are this fucking retarded, i bet you did it and now are saying 10 isnt a botnet, real test are done in virtual machine and checked outside, thats why we know that you cant turn botnet off in 10, its literally impossible, 7 doesnt have this problem
>>
>>62097294
The irony in you calling me a moron. I argued that tech illiteracy is required to obtain malware. You somehow interpreted this as "windows users cannot be technologically illiterate". Embarrassing for you...
>>
>>62095886
>Let's do this shit
>117 replies
>not just "NO"
topkek, nice neo-/g/ fags
>>
>>62097295
Such as? Quote a post, or repeat
How about you learn to fucking read and not just be hard headed?
> nobody has described a process where malware infects a computer without faulty user action.
I already told you, it's not one process. Each vulnerability requires its own unique process.
>>
>>62097313
and 7 has 50-90 depending on source
>>
>>62097314
I tested win10 as a guest w/ spybot anti-beacon and it didn't contact known telemetry hosts though
>>
>>62097327
Such as? Can you give me a single example of malware ending up on a computer that does not require faulty user action? Because you haven't given me an example, you just assert that it's possible.
>>
>>62097316
> The irony in you calling me a moron. I argued that tech illiteracy is required to obtain malware. You somehow interpreted this as "windows users cannot be technologically illiterate". Embarrassing for you...
No, that's not what you argued, and that's not what I interpreted either. Learn to fucking comprehend.
You said that people who connect Windows PC's to networks with file sharing are tech illiterate. Then you said that you didn't say that.
>>
>>62097335
>known telemetry hosts
well memed
>>
>>62097307
You've got it backwards, they originally attempted to rewrite it all with features like WinFS but in late 2004 they restarted development from scratch using the NT 5.2 codebase as the original Longhorn project was causing delays, and had a lot of technical issues.
>>
>>62097339
Here's an entire website cataloguing vulnerabilities: https://www.cvedetails.com/
Go nuts, search for some yourself. Just sort them by severity or something, and I guarantee you WILL find vulnerabilities that require no user interaction. You're just being hard headed.
>>
>>62097363
No, they realized the NT 5.x kernel wouldn't have worked for what they wanted. NT 6.x is a complete rewrite, which is why it was so buggy and incompatible at first.
>>
>>62097348
Oh, you were arguing that someone who connects their PC with sensitive data to a network with open filesharing can be technologically literate? I can see how that could be interpreted from your post, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt, because that makes you even more retarded than I thought you already were.

Someone who connects their PC to a network with open filesharing while wanting to avoid malware is technologically illiterate, 100% of the time.
>>
>>62097371
I have, and I can't find any that don't require faulty user action. Can you give an example? Or do none exist, as I have been saying all along?
>>
File: 1502456476029.png (668KB, 949x758px) Image search: [Google]
1502456476029.png
668KB, 949x758px
>>62097389
No it's not. After build 4093 (NT 6.0), Longhorn was completely scrapped and they rebuilt it from scratch using NT 5.2 (Server 2003 SP1) as a base.

For reference, pic is the last build of Longhorn on the original codebase
>>
File: 1479556033570.png (111KB, 944x758px) Image search: [Google]
1479556033570.png
111KB, 944x758px
>>62097407
And this is the next build, compiled only a few hours after 4093. All further development was based on this build.

Some large portions of NT were rewritten for Vista such as the whole driver model, but they did not rewrite the kernel from scratch at all.
>>
>>62097398
> Oh, you were arguing that someone who connects their PC with sensitive data to a network with open filesharing can be technologically literate?
How do you propose to share files over a local network without enabling file sharing? Fucking moron.
>>
>>62097389
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_Vista#Mid-2004_to_Mid-2005:_Development_.22reset.22
>>
>>62097423
If the files were sensitive, I wouldn't put them anywhere near an open network, because I am not technologically illiterate.
>>
>>62097307
>They tried simply modifying the existing Windows NT 5.x kernel from XP; that was Longhorn. They scrapped it and rewrote the kernel from scratch.
But that's wrong you fucking idiot. The reason they scrapped the original Longhorn is because there were supposed to be two versions, Longhorn being the more XP-like system with small improvements to hold the goyim over. The next major version was codenamed Blackcomb.
Since the pajeet team working on Longhorn got confused and started adding features that were supposed to be in Blackcomb, the entire thing was scrapped and they went back to where they started.
The point is, both versions were based on the Server 2003, ergo NT 5.2 codebase,
>>
>>62097433
> If the files were sensitive, I wouldn't put them anywhere near an open network
What the fuck do you even mean by "open network"? Nobody is saying the files will be open to the entire fucking public, or that they aren't using authentication. Just that the file sharing feature is enabled, and THAT'S ALL IT FUCKING TAKES for the vulnerability to work. That's WHY it's a vulnerability.
>>
>>62097363
>tfw we never got glorious relational filesystem
even Bill regrets it not making it to market
>>
>>62096161
this
>>
>>62097407
>>62097420
Thank you.
>>
>>62097481
I mean "open network" as a synonym for "network with filesharing enabled", because that's an open as fuck network where sensitive information should not be kept. If it's necessary for a company to function, either the entire network should be LAN in a secured building, or at the very least machines with sensitive information should be separate from machines that are accessing the internet, or having data backed up on a separate machine daily. A few examples as to how a technologically literate person may handle open file sharing.
>>
>>62097549
Wasn't ReFS supposed to be the general purpose successor to NTFS? Now it's just an enterprise filesystem?
>>
>>62097485
>https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034825/features-that-are-removed-or-deprecated-in-windows-10-fall-creators-up
>Resilient File System (ReFS)
>Creation ability will be available in the following editions only: Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro for Workstations.
>Creation ability will be removed from all other editions. All other editions will have Read and Write ability.
Gentoo it is.
>>
>>62097561
> I mean "open network" as a synonym for "network with filesharing enabled"
Then you're an idiot who doesn't know how networking works.
>>
>>62095886
Windows 7 support ends in 2020
Windows 8.1 support ends in 2025.
>>
>>62097586
What? That's perfectly acceptable language. Weren't you just saying moments ago that it's perfectly acceptable to use a computer housing sensitive information on a network with filesharing enabled? What could have possibly steered you towards focusing on the word "open"? Perhaps you are wrong and shifting goalposts into semantics?
>>
>>62097603
And wasn't that the extended support?
>>
>>62097660
> What? That's perfectly acceptable language
It wasn't the language, it was the idea, you fucking moron. Fucking hell you're bad at comprehension.
>>
>>62097688
You say I'm bad at comprehension but the irony in this is that you are bad at making your points clear, because you choose insults over clarification. What's the problem? You still haven't explained, choosing instead to further insult me. Has cognitive dissonance set in so hard that you can do nothing but fling shit at me?
>>
>>62097660
>What could have possibly steered you towards focusing on the word "open"? Perhaps you are wrong and shifting goalposts into semantics?
Or perhaps you're an idiot who doesn't understand there are various contexts or scopes to how "open" a network with file sharing can be.
By definition, sharing files requires *some* level of "open-ness", you can't have a network that is 100% closed and share files over it.
>>
>>62097603
>>62097667
2025 is for Windows 10 CB, CBB and 2015 LTSB, including the new Pro Education and the upcoming Pro for Workstations. Server and 2016 LTSB ends in 2026-2027.
>>
>>62097731
>you can't have a network that is 100% closed and share files over it.
So what was the problem in using the language "open", then, when you are literally telling me that a network with filesharing is an open network? Directly contradicting yourself now...
>>
>>62097603
I'm planning to end my life in 2019.
>>
>>62097784
> So what was the problem in using the language "open", then, when you are literally telling me that a network with filesharing is an open network?
EVERY network is "open" to some degree, you fucking moron. If they weren't, you would have zero communication and it wouldn't be a network.
Are you going to tell me that having any kind of network for any reason is bad?
>>
>>62096131
from here:
https://the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/
>>
>>62097835
So it is a semantical argument, like I was saying. Why the shift in goalposts, twisting language instead of defending the fact that you thought someone who's technologically literate could end up being victimized by the wannacry incident? Is it because you were completely fucking wrong and it's easier to pretend we are debating over "degrees of openness" because you can pretend you didn't get buttfucked?
>>
OP here I expected this thread to die with 7 replies

Seems I was wrong
>>
>>62098040
Threads I post in usually go 1-300.
>>
>>62098016
> So it is a semantical argument, like I was saying.
No, it's you being an idiot. Next you'll tell me the existence of the internet is a "technologically illiterate" thing to do because communication of any degree at all require some level of "open-ness".
>>
>>62098195
But it is a semantical argument, you are focusing on the definition of a word instead of the flesh of the argument. That's textbook semantics.
>followed by a straw man
yawn.
>>
>>62098205
> But it is a semantical argument
You're saying we should have no distinction between different levels or contexts of "open-ness" and that using any kind is "technologically illiterate" thing to do. That's textbook idiocy.
>>
>>62098195
This started out with you saying that using Windows file sharing in any capacity means the network is "open" and that this is "technically illiterate", while completely ignoring all of the possible ways the network or file sharing itself could be set up.
>>
>>62098272
>You're saying we should have no distinction between different levels or contexts of "open-ness"
quote me.
>and that using any kind is "technologically illiterate" thing to do.
quote me.

straw mans are boring.
>>
>>62096161
I think it's a decent enough UI for a start menu (pinning things in groups as you wish, grouping them and naming the groups, etc) but without some minor tweaking it can get irritating.
>>
People still use this shit? I have my original 14666 build w10 on a 2 year old SSD that's going fine.

Gonna reinstall it to a new m2 ssd next month.

W7 and 8 updates are broken and brick the os after 2012 anyways

Only issue I had with win10 is that creators update won't install and that's over 2 years after launch
>>
>>62098493
But that menu takes up your entire screen, you can't do anything else while you're in browsing the menu. It might make sense on smartphones, on a 5 inch touchscreen, but not on a 24 inch monitor while using mouse.
>>
>>62098513
majority of population on earth use
>>
>>62099010
Majority of content creators and devs as well as gamers have to use 10 but just because the unwashed masses use 7/8 doesn't mean it's good.

The network and update stack are garbage as well as the ui on 8 and so many other problems.

Lack of dx12 support and eol as well.

I bet all u dumbfucking cunts didn't do a clean install onto a SSD and did the upgrade option on a hdd like a cuck
>>
>>62099135
i bet most of win10 users did upgrade over existing 7, and thats because microsoft forced them
>>
File: 1444250063779.png (21KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1444250063779.png
21KB, 800x600px
>>62099155
If someone on g forced upgraded they should be doxxed and banned desu
>>
>>62098513

WEW LAD
>>
>>62095886
/g/ is full of Mr. Crusts
http://www.zdnet.com/article/when-it-comes-to-windows-10-privacy-dont-trust-amateur-analysts/
>>
>>62099442
this, we should trust microsoft
>>
>>62095886
I would still use XP if I could.
>on 7, fuck 8/10
>>
>>62097789
Why? You still have another year of Win7 support left.
>>
>>62095886
>best UI of the lot
>best compatibility with older vidya
>still supported by MS, but has the fewest years left
>no new DX support
>more support left than 7
>shitty UI, looks like they built a tablet OS and ported it to PC
>meme status, if you want to be contrarian this is your OS. It's like being a Vista fan
>most support left
>worst compatibility with older vidya
>has latest DX for new vidya
>shitty UI, not as bad as 8 since it doesn't feel like a tablet OS, but still shitty

Funny how the UI is such a simple surface level thing, yet MS continues to fuck it up. I would probably give up and upgrade to 10 already if not for the fact that 7 has a much better UI and it's still supported.
>>
>>62100006
7's UI is legendary. I cannot imagine ever changing. I felt the same way about XP, though.
>>
>>62100052
I remember not liking 7's UI the first time I saw it, but once I actually used it I realized how great it works. Going back to Vista and XP feels cramped and clunky. I have Win10 on the computers at work, and I haven't had that same change of mind. Cortana sucks, that flat look sucks, the redone start menu and control panel suck.
>>
>>62100006
>Funny how the UI is such a simple surface level thing, yet MS continues to fuck it up.
Yeah, I have never seen anybody botch flat/minimalism UI as bad as they did. It's like they literally have no taste.
>>
>>62100006
>>62100052
Honestly I like 10's UI, but then I've always liked the whole flat design thing. Aero felt really gimmicky to me and I disabled it in Vista after a few days and never used it in 7. XP's UI was just atrocious, but at least it had a non-gimped classic theme unlike Vista/7 which was better.
>>
>>62098788
That's what makes it work so well.

> Open start menu
> Only a few pinned items, need to hit all programs for more
> Scroll through list
> Open folder
> Click program

Versus

> Open start
> Many, many more pinned items due to Fullscreen, click the one you need

It's all preference, but 8's menu is great when working. I set 10 to Fullscreen as well.
>>
>>62101191
thats rare as fuck, most people pin most used programs to taskbar, some on desktop, rest in start menu, its very rare to browse though all programs
>>
>>62101315
Yeah if you only use like 10 things. That's the max the 7 menu supports.

I group Applications, file locations, games and emulators and the weather app (the only decent app built in to 8/10) in different sections of the fullscreen. It's just plain better.
>>
I really love using windows screen because back then I can modify the tiles to show anime pictures with 3rd apps helps. When I want to shutdown, I just use charm bar.
Now that it's gone in 10, now I only start button again.
I really want to use 8.1 again, but my 10 is bundled in my laptop so I'm afraid to lose my license key.
>>
>>62101468
>start button
use start menu again*
>>
>>62101468
>but my 10 is bundled in my laptop so I'm afraid to lose my license key.

You don't lose it
>>
>>62095886
Can't tell if baiting or actual retard
>>
since there's no way to buy 8.1 anymore, is there at least a workaround that would let me change the background?
>>
>>62099197
most of /g/ uses 10, they are that retarded
>>
File: myfavoriteassinthecitadel.jpg (21KB, 549x585px) Image search: [Google]
myfavoriteassinthecitadel.jpg
21KB, 549x585px
>>62100543
>>62100052
I just want Microsoft to make an alternative UI that resembles 95-2000 era to the point.
>>
>>62102005
How to make sure?
>>
I have a legit key for Windows 8.1 embedded industry pro.

What do you have? Huh?
>>
>>62095886
Windows 7 is faster, less bloated, and I will continue to use it until a critical unpatched vulnerability makes doing so completely impossible. Fuck Windows 10 especially
>>
Is there an activator for 7 Enterprise?
>>
>>62103603
daiz
>>
>>62102354
I'm using Windows 10 because of muh games. I was planning to switch to Linux with GPU passthrough the moment Ryzen came out, but now there's the fucking NPT bug on Ryzen which ruins that, so I'm just stuck waiting for a solution.
>>
>>62104847
muh games doesnt apply here, most of them are playable on 7. you are a retard, dont try to hide it
>>
>>62104544
It doesn't support Enterprise.
>>
>>62104876
what do you need enterprise for?
>>
>>62104864
But DirectX 12 only works on Windows 10.
>>
>>62104954
but games dont use it?
>>
>>62104911
Feeling smart and business-like.
>>
>>62104954
And?
>>
>>62104989
then go with xp, business still use it
>>
>>62105014
Not my business though, and I need 7 for a few things.
>>
>>62105024
but do you need enterprise?
>>
>>62104981
Deus Ex Mankind Divided does.
>>
>>62102697
you can get 7 pretty close with personalization options.
>>
>>62105084
its playable on 7, dont fucking try to meme me
>>
>>62104954
It's literally used by less than 30 games and has even less exclusives.
>>
>>62105034
See
>>62104989
>>
10 was a free and legit upgrade.
It's more streamlined than 7 and has tons of useful shit built into it.
>>
File: Iamkot.webm (3MB, 768x614px) Image search: [Google]
Iamkot.webm
3MB, 768x614px
I like win8.1 start menu, it gives me a unified front end for vidya.
>>
>>62105869
$0.02 has been deposited into your account, keep up the good work Rajeet.
>>
>>62106018
That's true.
It wasn't for me, but I know a lot of people that liked that about 8.1

And it's still kind of used in 10. I find 10 to be a nice blend of the OG start menu and the Winows Tiles.
>>
>>62106050
Thank you.
Come again.
>>
File: SS_2017-08-26_11.png (269KB, 502x463px) Image search: [Google]
SS_2017-08-26_11.png
269KB, 502x463px
>>62101415
Don't need that when I can do this.
Thread posts: 218
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.