[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there an up to date quick and dirty gentoo installation guide?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: gentoo.png (230KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.png
230KB, 1280x1024px
Trying to fall for this meme but the official documentation is a bit over my head.
>>
install gentooo
>>
>>62091331
CloverOS is a good start.
>>
maymay ebin
>>
>>62091331
Guy Robot does a video of him setting his main desktop install up and so does Antoun Sawires on Youtube. Gentoo is unironically the best OS you could ever use
>>
I have installed Gentoo, it is not worth the time and effort unless you honestly need its features. If you care so much about free software go parabola, otherwise go arch. If you don't want to deal with bleeding edge software go ubuntu/debian/etc. Literally don't meme yourself like I did. Sure Gentoo is "faster" but you are wasting way more time maintaining the system than you are saving cause you compiled the code for your specific hardware.
>>
>>62091331
Look for a guide for installing Gentoo via another distro's liveCD.
Installing Gentoo is actually not hard at all, but the documentation is abysmal.
>>
I disagree with the others regarding it requiring taking much effort and time >>62091444 or it's just a meme >>62091376 . But maybe that's because I've used Gentoo since 2007. And in the meantime I have compared the experience with other stable distros like Ubuntu LTS, Debian, CentOS. When I first started using it, yes it required a lot of work and time to maintain it but that was because I was a retard and didn't know how to use it and everything was always breaking because of the stupid things I was doing. Some good ideas off the top of my head: don't try to over rice your flags, don't keyword ~arch globally or excessively mix branches, keep your world file clean and use oneshot if a packages is already in the depgraph of a package that's already in the world file. But I got gud and nowadays I hardly even think about it.
>>
>>62091331
I consider documentationish as a own language.
Yes its hard to read.
Try to get used it.
We all hate it and we all *have* to read those garbage to get the information we need.
Fucking documentationish.
>>
>>62091983
>a wiki formatted page is hard to read
brainlet
>>
>>62091552
I can almost guarantee you went over OPs head yet again with that jargon.

You got gud. You talk gud. But he ain't gud yet.

Personally OP, I would do CoverOS because it is probably going to be just comfy enough for you without needing to understand A B S O L U T E L Y E V E R Y T H I N G right off the bat. Good luck, fuckface.
>>
Install Windows
>>
File: 1471043957762.jpg (5KB, 135x134px) Image search: [Google]
1471043957762.jpg
5KB, 135x134px
>>62092327
>>
>>62092316
Just respectfully disagreeing for posterity sake with those two sentiments I see commonly posted here.
>>
If you can't grok the Gentoo handbook then spend more time learning GNU/Linux with an easier system than jumping straight into the deepend.

You might be able to install it by following the instructions without really understanding what you're doing, but you'll almost certainly have to repeat the process at some point in the future in that case.
>>
>>62092139
Ok my answer was shit since we are talking about wikis.
Still valid for whitepapers
>>
1/2
boot hybrid iso, get copy-pasting from browser and easy wifi
spawn root shell
partition the disk
parted -a optimal /dev/sda
mklabel gpt
unit mib
mkpart primary 1 3
name 1 grub
set 1 bios_grub on
mkpart primary 3 131
name 2 boot
mkpart primary 131 2179
name 3 swap
mkpart primary 2179 -1
name 4 rootfs
set 2 boot on
quit
mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda2
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda4
mkswap /dev/sda3
apon /dev/sda3
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/gentoo

download stage3 tarball
ntpd -q -g
cd /mnt/gentoo
wget https://mirror.dkm.cz/gentoo/releases/amd64/autobuilds/current-stage3-amd64/stage3-amd64-20170824.tar.bz2
tar xvjpf stage3-*.tar.bz2 --xattrs --numeric-owner
rm stage3-*.tar.bz2

edit make.conf, add:
nano /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"

select mirrors and config portage
mirrorselect -i -o >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/make.conf
mkdir /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/repos.conf
cp /mnt/gentoo/usr/share/portage/config/repos.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf
cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/
>>
>>62091331
>falling for the install gentoo meme
Grow up
>>
2/2
mount new fs and chroot in
mount -t proc /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
mkdir /boot
mount /dev/sda2 /boot

set profile
emerge-webrsync
eselect profile list
eselect profile set N # desktop
emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world

locale and timezone
echo "Europe/Brussels" > /etc/timezone
emerge --config sys-libs/timezone-data
nano -w /etc/locale.gen # some UTF-8 locale
locale-gen

genkernel
emerge --ask sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
emerge --ask sys-kernel/genkernel
nano -w /etc/fstab
/dev/sda2 /boot ext2 defaults,noatime 0 2
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda4 / ext4 noatime 0 1
genkernel all
emerge --ask sys-kernel/linux-firmware

misc
nano -w /etc/conf.d/hostname
passwd # root password
emerge --ask net-misc/dhcpcd
useradd -m -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash larry
passwd larry

you should also install some packages for first boot like Xorg, wm, wicd and browser
GRUB
emerge --ask --verbose sys-boot/grub:2
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

unmount and reboot

exit # chroot
cd
umount -l /mnt/gentoo/dev{/shm,/pts,}
umount -R /mnt/gentoo
reboot
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.