[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discussion on FPGA dev boards Does anyone have any personal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

Discussion on FPGA dev boards

Does anyone have any personal experience with these, looking for advice or recommendations before buying one

Taking a class on VHDL (as well as personal projects) and looking to buy one for my own education

Xilinx vs Altera? Problems with IDE for either etc?
>>
bump for CE faggots
>>
File: 1422244556325.gif (886KB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
1422244556325.gif
886KB, 294x233px
listen people, those digits demand atleast sympathy bumps
>>
I've only used one in my Digital Design class. It was a Xilinx and it was pretty good.

I was thinking of buying one for personal project. Maybe try to make a bitcoin miner. I know it'll be horrible inefficient and my old GPU would probably do a better job, But it would be a cool thing to try to optimise :^)

From what I understand Xilinx is really the high end industry standard, There are other brands but they always seem to fill a niche.
>>
>>62090438
I was thinking of designing an inverted pendulum controller since I am also taking a controls class, or an RF transceiver
>>
>>62090000
i wanted to get one of these actually.

I opted for an odriod xu4 tho to save some cash.

would be interested to know of others experiences as well
>>
>>62090458
I did an inverted pendulum controller on an Arduino for a lab. All we really did was tune the PID controller though. FPGA might be a bit overkill for a simple controller.

Tons of SDRs use FPGAs for transceivers mainly for their massive IO.
>>
File: Capture.png (88KB, 170x198px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
88KB, 170x198px
>>62090513
im okay with overkill, my income can tolerate it, and i anticipate projects where I can fully utilize the FPGA

imo the concept of a hobby FPGA is almost always overkill

I really just want it in the short term to show off to my professors and get on their good sides for ez grades
>>
I used Altera boards in uni. Not much else to say other than it worked and I don't remember having any issues with the software. I never did any VHDL stuff, it was also drawing logic gate circuits and shit.
>>
please bump
>>
>>62090000
It depends what "personal projects" mean. BTW VHDL Is shit in pure state. If you want to learn actual interfaces, go for the Zedboard or Arty S7 from digilent (never buy a 6-series Xilinx device, ISE is deprecated). From Altera, any Cyclone IV or V from Terasic. They have a plenty of peripherals (although some legacy shit).
>>
>>62090000
>>62090070
>>62090190
>>62090366
I guess /g/ is filled with CS plebs

Get one of the new hybrid 7-series zynqs, something like a zedboard or pynq board

I prefer xilinx and it is used a lot more in embedded and aerospace. i think altera is more used in HPC shit but I'm not sure

also nice digits
>>
>>62090000
goys help, i bought a cyclone 3 dev board and have no idea what im supposed to do with it, i figured there would just be some demo code i could flash onto it which i could just read through and learn but there is fucking nothing
>>
>>62090000
Me do know nothing about technology and shit, but those are really nice digits.
How can i help you, my friend?
>>
>>62090190
Who's this qt hooman? Plz rezbond
>>
>>62090000

don't buy Altera the dev environment is shit and their toolchain is locked down
>>
File: tears.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tears.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>62090000
I prefer Altera over Xilinx just because quartus is better than that pile of shit Xilinx has...
Its been a while though.

I made an integer ALU (FPUs take too long) and some other cool shit.

I used VHDL, always wanted to try Verilog out...
>>
I have used vivaldi (the xilinx IDE) and it is great except for one thing:
the editor sucks.
My solution has been to use kate.
If you want to not use the IDE as little as possible, read the console output and make your own script.
I have made such scripts in the past and it becomes much faster to do the whole (synt->build->transfer bit file) and you can use notifications along the way to let you know about the process and the terminal output is just as good as and just as readable as the xilinx reports.
You can call your own script from your editor directly.

But I would advice you to use the xilinx tools because they offer a lot you cannot just script.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.