[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OpenBSD on a Thinkpad X1 Yoga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: lenovo-thinkpad-x1-yoga-01.jpg (45KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
lenovo-thinkpad-x1-yoga-01.jpg
45KB, 770x433px
I plan in a few months to buy a loaded ThinkPad X1 yoga for work and school. I'm wondering if I should put openbsd for it since having wanted to use the BSD kernel for a awhile. is it worth it? Is there any compatible issues? Because the thinkpad yoga is a 2 in 1 and wondering if the touchscreen, nubpad and pen will work?
>>
If it's made in this century it's not supported
>>
>Any compatibility issues?
If I had to guess, I'd say all the compatibility issues
>>
>>62085849
Not sure about the yoga series, but the carbon models, even the newer ones (2016) appear to be popular among the OpenBSD devs and work pretty well as of 6.0, probably fully supported in 6.1.
You will likely run in some problems with 2017 models though, or at least you will have to run current snapshot builds.
See:
https://functionallyparanoid.com/2017/03/12/openbsd-on-thinkpad-x1-carbon-4th-generation/

https://gist.github.com/reyk/80dca43c8bcfa76d2a7ff147ea64d442
>>
>>62085849
>touchscreen
Maybe, probably not.
>nubpad
Do you mean the trackpoint? Yes, it'll work. It always does.
>pen
Maybe, don't count on it.

If you want all this hardware to work then your best bet is using something like Fedora or OpenSUSE or Ubuntu that will integrate all the non-free drivers that it can. OpenBSD would be a fine choice as a secondary OS but I doubt that everything will work. OpenBSD is better for embedded stuff or very basic desktop use. It has lots of software compatibility issues and will never "just work". Use it only if you know what you're doing and keep a live USB with GNU/Linux nearby.
>>
>>62085849
It's more likely to work than FreeBSD, since it's devs actually use it on their laptops.
And thinkpads are the most supported laptops for *nix systems.
>>
>>62087297
you have that backwards anon. OpenBSD devs dogfood their os, FreeBSD devs run macos
>>
>>62086566
> will never "just work"
For most devices this is true, but if you actually install it one of the "blessed few" devices the devs use as well you get one of the best "just works" experiences in the whole world.
>>
>>62087297
Isn't FreeBSD mostly used for servers.? Is the experience more better than OpenBSD?
>>
>>62085849
you can use bsd to make shitposting machines but you won't get any bells and whistles like your pad to work unless you are willing to code it all yourself
>>
>>62085849
You need to run -current for the wireless card to work (still needs the proprietary firmware package).

Clit mouse justwerks. So does touch pad and two finger scrolling with it.

Touchscreen works for clicking, haven't tried getting it to do touch events yet.

Pen requires some work, I also haven't bothered with that yet.

Also, YMMV, but I had to switch the firmware to straight BIOS mode, not UEFI or UEFI compatibility.

Source: I am typing this on an X1 Yoga running OpenBSD.
>>
Why when any linux works perfectly out of the box? Stop being a hipster.

Just put shitbsd in a VM and it can even pass everything through. You won't be invited to IRC but you really don't want to go there anyway.

For the real BSD "experience": A T40, on IRC, quit work, quit school, jack a few decades down the toilet.
>>
>>62091308
>tfw Ted Kaczynski
>>
>>62087297
meant to say OpenBSD
brainfart, sry
>>
>>62085899
ebin

>>62091308
>Why when any linux works perfectly out of the box?
Why use Linux when Windows works perfectly out of the box?
>>
>>62085849
openbsd 6.2 will support skylake graphics

that's all i know
>>
>>62085849
>the BSD kernel
OpenBSD, NetBSD, and FreeBSD each has its own kernel. It's not like Linux where the distros use the same kernel and programs.
>>
>>62085849
>openbsd
>compatible issues
It goes without saying. If you don't want compatibility issues with BSD, you must use ten year old hardware.
>>
>>62087563
T-that's pretty much what he said...
>>
>>62094747
Not at all
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.