[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 31

File: 1494143631975.jpg (196KB, 1365x859px) Image search: [Google]
1494143631975.jpg
196KB, 1365x859px
Previous thread: >>62066804

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
first for Debian testing
>>
>>62077602
hey that's chomsky! wonder if they got along well
>>
>>62077632
sid is better

>>62077668
they probably argued for hours without ever talking about the same thing
>>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/ubuntu-adding-trash-can-icon-desktop
>>
trying to install arch on a vm, using syslinux for the bootloader
when I boot it just gives me
Booting...
and doesn't ever do anything else
>>
/fgt/ — Friendly GNU Thread when
>>
>>62078305
that's the syslinux.cfg file btw
>>
>>62078314
Linux a gay
G A Y
A
Y
>>
>>62078305
>>62078317

Use GRUB like any other normal person.
Use systemd-boot if you have an UEFI motherboard.
>>
For a beginner programmer, is there a difference in using GCC 6 or 7 and Python 3.5 or 3.6? I really want to get my feet wet in Linux and programming and I'm looking for an appropriate distro to do so. Debian was the easiest to set up to my liking but it offers older packages. I tried Fedora 26 too, but something about it didn't seem right..
>>
>>62078339
nah, not a meaningful difference in those things
>>
>>62077814
So I installed Nix onto Ubuntu.
Then I used the command:
nix-shell -p freecad

What is going on? Is it installing freeCAD in nixos? so if I run FreeCAD it would run through ubuntu in nixos, or would it just install normally in Ubuntu and Nix is just fixing whatever broken packages there might be.
>>
File: file.png (55KB, 732x304px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
55KB, 732x304px
>>62078451
REEEEEEEE
>>
>>62078468
Open up Synaptic Package Manager, Edit - Fix Broken Packages.

Presuming that goes off without a hitch, it's now time to fix the dependencies. Reopen terminal, and sudo apt-get install -f

Let me know how it goes.
>>
Is a 10GB partition enough for Ubuntu if I don't want to make it my main OS (that's still Windows 10) but rather install it so I can boot into it every once in a while and see what it's like to use it for a change? LibreOffice, Firefox (yeah, I know) and other basic stuff is pre-installed anyway. I wouldn't need to install anything, except maybe MonoDevelop and codecs for audio/video files.

FYI, I have an 128GB SSD drive in my laptop. I could make it maybe 15GB but not more.

Also, I like the look and feel of Gnome better than Unity. Do you install software on Ubuntu Gnome in the same way is in Unity?
>>
>>62078525
Minimum requirements are 5GB. That said, you could also just use a flash drive, and boot from that, without having to partition anything. That way, if you wind up liking it, you don't have to go and reconfigure everything again.
>>
Ive seen people suggest encrypting Linux partitions if youre dual booting with Windows. Yay or nay? Would you want to encrypt only root partition or every partition? Does it negatively affect performance?
>>
>>62078614
>encrypt only root
No. Encrypt your actually sensitive data like ~/finances and ~/lolis
>>
>>62078614
Personally, I wouldn't dualboot. I use Linux as my main OS, but have an iPhone that doesn't use iCloud. Windows is used in an old tower for encrypted backups to iTunes, and that's about it.

If I WAS to do it, I'd probably only encrypt the Home Folder down.
>>
File: encrypt.jpg (38KB, 750x394px) Image search: [Google]
encrypt.jpg
38KB, 750x394px
>>62078614
I wouldn't do more than this. It's a real pain in the ass to boot encrypt with a dual boot, anyways.
>>
>>62078664

How does it encrypt the home directory when you select that? What does it use for encryption?
>>
>>62078681
Presuming you're using Ubuntu, they use eCryptfs.

You can do it later, too.
https://www.howtogeek.com/116032/how-to-encrypt-your-home-folder-after-installing-ubuntu/
>>
>check random page on ubuntu documentation
>it mentions ubuntu 9.04

That's just ridiculous. The amount of useless and old help articles for Ubuntu alone is pathetic. It also appears to have a bunch of pages for the same topic and it's just a huge mash of useless, old and deprecated advice.
Let's not even get started on the forum posts which regurgitate those exact pages.
>>
File: file.png (22KB, 493x234px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
22KB, 493x234px
>>62078514
Hmm?
>>
>>62078729
Is that Synaptic Package Manager? I haven't used Ubuntu since 2006.
>>
>>62078729

Did you hold back packages?
Who knows what you did to break it. That's what happens when you just blindly copy paste things expecting it to fix your problem. Obvious PEBCAK.
Just reinstall and don't do stupid things this time around.

>doesn't know the basics of installing packages
>proceeds to install nixos just because some retarded meme spouter recommended it
>>
Is it possible to access various system settings via GUI if you only have WM like i3 installed?
>>
>>62078758

You suffer from a lot of misconceptions.
Yes, it is possible. A window manager doesn't affect the software you're running at all.
>>
If I have /home on a different partition and I want to install a different distro, all I have to do is not touch the home partition, right? No fuckery necessary?
>>
>>62078767
I just dont want to install a DE and only want to use i3 but am a newfag. How can i configure settings that are usually available in "system settings" on Ubuntu based systems without terminal?
>>
>>62078779
I haven't tried, but I don't see why it would.

Worst case scenario, do a backup, and give it a try, and you'll have to reinstall from scratch.
>>
>>62078779

Yes, but it's stupid to keep the full files.
Different software versions can modify same config files, possibly introducing problems. Keeping around files, like inside .cache or .local can also have some unclean effects.

Backup your configs cleanly and copy them over.
>>
>>62078793

If the software you install comes with a graphical settings editor, you use that. If not, you can't. Neither on your "no DE i3" or on any "DE".

Hint: when you install i3 with other utility software you are running a desktop environment. Even running "just a WM" is a desktop environment, because as soon as you have X running you're subscribing to the desktop metaphor of computing.
>>
>>62078793
For that, you install just the settings part of a DE. I'm using xfsettingsd with i3 in this exact scenario. LXDE stuff is also popular for this purpose.
>>
I've not used Linux in a few years, due to most work requiring applications I use being buggy when used with WINE or PoL. What distro is best if I am using Photoshop CS6?
>>
File: file.png (138KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
138KB, 601x508px
>>62078738
Yes it is.
>>62078757
wtf i have to reinstall ubuntu now!
>>
>>62078847
I've never encountered a situation where clicking "Fix Broken Packages" didn't work, and I fuck shit up often.

What I would do at that point is remove the broken packages, and then reinstall them.
>>
>>62078847
apt --fix-broken install
>>
>>62078815
>>62078822
Ooh. So i can just install part of the DE that configure system settings? Which ones considered the best? So DE is basically a compilation of different programs put together and configured to flow nicely between each other?
>>
Half my terminals had blinking cursors. Was grinding my gears in the worst way. Apparently vim 8.0.0918-v8.0.0973 in urxvt leaves your terminal cursor blinking after exit, blinking, blinking, blinking. printf '\033[?12l' or upgrade to fix
>>
>>62078884
:( didn't work.
>>
>>62079073
Then close terminal. Open up Synaptic Package Manager, Click on the "Broken" filter on the left side of the screen.

Right click each broken package, and click "Mark for Complete Removal." (you may want to write down which packages you are removing). Then click Edit, and click on "Apply Marked Changes."

Then reinstall all packages that you removed.
>>
>>62079073
1) You are a dumb shit for using ubuntu
2) You are a dumb shit for not reading the error messages your package manager spits out
3) You are the dumbest shit for executing random unhelpful commands that some retard anon keeps sperging at you
what does
apt-cache policy python-pivy
say?
>>
File: file.png (165KB, 393x352px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
165KB, 393x352px
>>62079098
>Click on the "Broken" filter on the left side of the screen.
There are zero broken packages. If I mark freeCAD for installation only then it appears in broken packages but I can't remove it because it is not installed.

>>62079118
python-pivy:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 0.5.0~v609hg-3.1
Version table:
0.5.0~v609hg-3.1 500
500 http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
>>
File: IMG_20170825_015732.jpg (2MB, 3120x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170825_015732.jpg
2MB, 3120x3120px
holy shit I fucking did it. successful void linux install. god I love computers this shit is so satisfying. fuck scrot have a phone pic
>>
>>62079162
void linux has a tui setup - what was so hard?
>>
I know you can have i3 open certain programs in a floating window by default, but is there any way to specify it from the command line as a one time thing?
I'm running a script from w3m to wget 4chan threads without having to copy the link and move to a new window, but it seems my options are limited to either having the scripts run on top of w3m (annoying when the connection gets randomly slow), or opening a new terminal running the script there, which steals my focus in an annoying way and screws with the layout temporarily.
>>
Hi,

I defined and saved an environment variable in my /etc/profile file. Due my limited understanding the command >echo $VARIABLE< should work immediatelly after opening a new terminal window. But the command only works after I typed "sourced" the file >source .../profile<. What am I missing and how can I fix it? Thank you sooo much, trying to fix it since hours.
>>
File: freecad.png (177KB, 1041x501px) Image search: [Google]
freecad.png
177KB, 1041x501px
>>62079155
Dunno what to tell you. I can tell you that freecad isn't broken.
>>
>>62079155
So try install python-pivy that might make it give you a more meaningful error message than just "is not going to be installed".
>>
>>62079194
>/etc/profile
That's the system-wide file. I'm assuming here, but you probably want ~/.profile.
>>
>>62079194
>/etc/profile
>should work immediatelly after opening a new terminal window
Wrong. That is only read for login shells. And learn to delimit code you fuckwit. Angle brackets have an actual meaning in shell code.
>>
>>62079194
> fixed some mistakes.

Hi,

I defined and saved an environment variable in my /etc/profile file.
I thought the command <echo $VARIABLE> should work immediatelly after opening a new terminal window. But the command only works after I "sourced" the file by typing <source .../profile>.
What am I missing and how can I fix it? Thank you sooo much, trying to fix it since hours.

>>62079218
>
This was the first file I edited but it didn't work at all.
>>
>>62079234
Yeah I will. I am new here and new to Linux, but you guys convinced me to give it a try.

Do you have any advice for my question maybe?
>>
>>62079155
I just checked it out. Freecad is in alpha, from what I can tell. Might just be that your specific system can't run it for any number of reasons. My wife can't run brave on her elitebook for this reason.
>>
File: file.png (238KB, 1236x1003px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
238KB, 1236x1003px
>>62079214
>>
>>62079235
If you're just setting a variable, do it in your shell's configuration file. ~/.bashrc or ~/.shrc or whatever-the-fuck.
>>
>>62079254
https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Startup-Files.html
TL;DR: Use ~/.bashrc
>>
>>62079263
>>62079272
Thx, will read and think about it.
>>
>>62079261
Just out of curiosity, are you on the latest stable ubuntu release and latest stable kernel?

At this point, I'm literally spitballing.
>>
>>62079263
I am not setting just any variable. I am trying to set the $GOPATH variable of golang.
>>
>>62078037
>sid is better
why would it be better

>>62078305
DEFAULT s
PROMPT 1 # Set to 1 to always display the boot prompt
TIMEOUT 50

LABEL z
MENU LABEL Linux Zen
LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux-zen
APPEND root=/dev/sda1 rw radeon.dpm=1 modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr init=/usr/bin/runit-init
INITRD ../initramfs-linux-zen.img

LABEL s
MENU LABEL Linux LTS Systemd
LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux-lts
APPEND root=/dev/sda1 rw radeon.dpm=1 quiet modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
INITRD ../initramfs-linux-lts.img

>>62078525
it should be but depends on what you plan to install later on, that where your programs go later on so you'll have about 4 for your shit. 15 would be better because ubuntu used about 6 iirc, you may be able to make apt-get install put them somewhere else but why trouble

>>62078725
yes ubuntu wiki is a pain to browse and out of date if the page even exists, they rely on ask ubuntu and the forum afai see

thank pricks for arch wiki - the only easily accessible and up to date actual wiki

>>62078831
something like arch with current stable upstream versions, debian testing, openpepe or fedora idk
>>
>>62079261
>xenialoverlay
The fuck? Are you on ubuntu phone? I don't know enough about ubuntu to know what's up with that shit but you can try opening up sudo aptitude and seeing if that has any resolution options that result in freecad being installed.
>>
>>62079313
>why would it be better
Use your imagination. Does testing even have bash 4.4 yet?
>>
Which partition scheme and bootloader mode should I prefer for universal usb flash with ganoo/loonix?
I need it to be able to boot properly on older machines but also to boot in uefi mode if machine supports it.
Is it something like mbr partition table with dual grub?
>>
>>62079263
>>62079272
>>62079218
>>62079234

Why didn't you faggots just tell me I had to restart the OS.

reeeeee
>>
>>62079388
Why in the fuck wouldn't that have been the first thing you did?
>>
Fedora or Debian to set up a TWM system (like i3 or whatever)?
I tried Debian already but I was wondering if the Fedora grass is greener.
>>
>>62079353
i looked through packages debian.org some weeks ago and testing and sid had the same versions for the most part (if not all) so ye i dont see any point in using sid on ma desktop instead of testing
>>
>>62079388
Fucking milenials
>>
>>62079419
Dude, I was born in 86. Technically millennial. Don't stick me with that shit. I started with Windows 3.1.

This is some GenZ shit.
>>
What's the recommended lockscreen?
>>
>>62079412
Oh nvm. I was thinking of experimental. For instance qt5.9 vs 5.7
>>
>>62079431
Then act your age and ditch this shitty entitled attitude. You have the official documentation on your system and it was linked to you.
>>
>>62079480
Not who you were responding to. Millennials know how to handle this kind of shit. This has to be GenZ.
>>
>>62079437
slock
>>
>>62079256
oh really? Because I was so close to installing windows.

>>62079303
Yes I downloaded the 16.04.3 LTS iso from their website this morning

>>62079344
Ok I used aptitude to purge all the "obsolete" packages except for firefox nightly.

Thank you all for your help.
>>
>>62079497
>Yes I downloaded the 16.04.3 LTS iso from their website this morning
What about the kernel? I'm on 4.12.9 and it works.
>>
>>62079514
Kernel: 4.10.0-32
>>
>>62079514
>package manager complains about minor difference in QT library versions
>Uhhh, maybe try upgrading your kernel?
>>
>>62079162
>52.1
lmao.. just install firefox
>>
>>62078919
Yes, although some DEs are more rigid and ask you to install a fuckpile of dependencies if you want any part of it

try asking your package manager to install konsole or any kde software and see what happens
>>
>>62079162
The fact that you think a simple GNU/Linux install is at all difficult is really, really sad.
>>
I'm just getting started with Ubuntu. So far I've just been trying to familiarize myself with keybindings and terminal navigation and use.

Up to this point I've only installed ranger (along with a few of the suggested packages) and i3. What media players would you guys recommend? On Windows, I used foobar, honeyview and MPC.

Also I'm not ignoring the installgentoo and archlinux wiki's. I'm using both but I'd appreciate an opinion from you guys as well.
>>
>>62080311
mpv for video, compile it yourself for extra points (because the ubuntu package is, as always, incredibly out of date)

there are tons and tons of music players though, and it's very much personal preference
I went through qmmp, clementine, rhythmbox and they all had some quirk or other that didn't fit me
using deadbeef now and no complaints so far
>>
>>62080348
I've noticed mpv is really popular. That'll definitely be the first one I try.

Never heard of deadbeef but I'll look into that one too, thanks.

One last question, though: I've a windows partition on this PC as well. What's the best way to access it from ubuntu/linux in general? Is it better to just mount the two? Should I use a server/network share? What's easiest?
>>
File: 1501621503313.jpg (267KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501621503313.jpg
267KB, 640x480px
Best distro for a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200?
>>
>>62077602
do some distros offer different/higher wine support than other? what should i pick if i have a lot of programs that are not compateble with linux and i need to run them through wine?
new to linux
>>
What is a better base/netinst distro, Debian or Fedora, and why?
>>
>>62080520
Don't answer this question. I'm a retard.
>>
>>62078305
Are you using VirtualBox? If so, go to the Arch wiki page for VirtualBox to see how to fix the VirtualBox-specific issue with booting.
>>
>>62078614
Why do you even have multiple partitions?
>>
>>62078634
If you only encrypt home, you can end up with revealing cache and log information saved unencrypted elsewhere.
>>
Is there a utility similar to CCleaner for Linux that would look through the ~/.cache folder and figure out what can be deleted?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170822_205331.png (8KB, 229x100px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170822_205331.png
8KB, 229x100px
I like Dolphin's folder image previews.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170822_205347.png (10KB, 161x102px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170822_205347.png
10KB, 161x102px
>>62081403
It needs antialiasing, though.
>>
File: linux-mint-cinnamon-logo-icon.png (73KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
linux-mint-cinnamon-logo-icon.png
73KB, 375x360px
Is linux mint good for nongeek user using computer only for watching videos, surfing on internet and doing something on libre office?

I plan to install these distro on my family member's computer who uses computer only for that and doesent have any OS on CD or DVD
>>
>>62081392
bleachbit
>>
>>62081403
What other fm's do this?
Not installing 300mb and 128 deps just for image previews
>>
File: prev.png (26KB, 199x172px) Image search: [Google]
prev.png
26KB, 199x172px
>>62081403
How did you get it to display a single image? Mine show multiple images.
>>
File: 1494538509000.png (329KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494538509000.png
329KB, 480x720px
How can portage be the best package manager if it's written in python, the most unstable, clusterfucked programming language in the known universe?
>>
>every single operating system on this earth is awful
what do
>>
>>62079353
>new is always better
Tired bleeding edge meme
>>
>>62081603
I don't think portage is the best package manager. I'd say guix or nix are the best, even though I still run gentoo on all of my devices.
>>
>>62081679
Go outside.
>>
>>62081679
Install arch
>>
>>62081679
Stop using computers.
>>
>>62081711
I can't
the lizards would kill me
>>
>>62078757
>>proceeds to install nixos just because some retarded meme spouter recommended it
The fuck? NixOS isn't a meme you shit.
>>
>>62081888
If I can ctrl+f it on /g/, it's a meme.
>>
>>62081224
Because thats useful?
>>
>>62081695
Are GuixSD and NixOS good for daily use though?
>>
>>62078451
Not even chroot? Right on your main system? Are you retarded or just like reinstalling every week?
>>
>>62082107
I have no idea. I tried GuixSD in a vm, it worked fairly well although the distro is qualified as alpha-quality software on its website.
I don't know anything about NixOS except that it seems cool to me.
>>
>>62082060
Give me one good reason.
>>
>>62082130
/boot - so your kernel isnt on the main system and if you hose boot or / they are seperate and easily fixed
/home - again so if you hose your system you can easily reinstall just the / partition and not touch your user data
>>
>>62078336
I don't favor the idea of using a system depedent component to boot the system. GRUB recovery console has saved me from fucked up system a handful times.
>>
>>62082130
Organization, keep your files in case youre reinstalling your system, can defragment necessary partitions separately, can regulate speed (first partition is the fastest). There is more but... are you sure youre not just trolling me?
>>
>>62078339
There are backports for Python 3.6 besides the fact that is on unstable.
>>
>>62082141
jesus fuck thats a good idea, definitely doing it next time.

I just went with whatever defaults there was.
>>
>>62078793
Install gnome-system-settings or whatever name the package offering it has.
>>
>>62078339
No, there are no differences for a beginner.
>>
>>62079118
Apt/dpkg are a complex mess. Not even joking. On Debian, some python modules were deleted (runaway rm -r) and ffs dpkg became unusable. I had to mess with some script to force remove them of the db, reinstall them and run some commands to fix broken packages.
>>
>>62081679
Use Temple OS
>>
>>62079388
Linux fags think their laptop as miniature server farm and prefer messing around for 6h than doing a 30s reboot.
>>
File: 1476562823374.jpg (55KB, 497x501px) Image search: [Google]
1476562823374.jpg
55KB, 497x501px
>avoid putting a virtual machine on my Core2Duo laptop because the last time I used one in VirtualBox, it was too slow
>few years later, use VMWare on my desktop to install Windows 98, which ironically runs better than in VirtualBox

>decide to try VMWare on said C2D laptop and install Fedora
>is noticeably slower, but runs like a charm

What the fuck? I'm still using VirtualBox on my desktop, but it seems like any non-Ubuntu, non-post-XP Windows operating systems just werk better in VMWare.
>>
Copying my chromium profile from my backup location(which i was running it on while i was restoring data) no longer works.It presents this error message.I checked for any lock files in the profile, and there are none.However if i point via command line to my backup profile, it works as expected.How do i restore my profile? There are no zombie or background chromium processes.
Failed to create a ProcessSinzgleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
>>
File: 631.jpg (24KB, 136x109px) Image search: [Google]
631.jpg
24KB, 136x109px
>tfw using synergy to control the mouse on my desktop from my laptop

This is great. I can lay back on my couch and change around videos on YouTube.

Is anyone else using Synergy? Is there something simpler? I also don't like that it appears to be free software, but still asks for a registration key to enable advanced features when it's being ran. What's up with that?
>>
>>62082258
Did you enable 3d acceleration?
>>
>>62080520
I have one as well. I mount it on boot with fstab with permissions given to my main account.
>>
>>62082284
Yes, but on my old laptop it automatically disabled it when I loaded the VM.
>>
>>62080731

Then you stick to Windows.
>>
>>62082141
/boot sure, that's a given. I meant everything else.

Having /home on a separate partition doesn't make any sense to me though. It just makes things more complicated since you need to think about how much space to allocate to each partition. Why would you be expecting to fuck up your system? And I see people talking about hopping distros while keeping the same /home partition, but that'll fuck things up due to config files for different versions of programs and so on.
>>
>>62081549
One day you will install Qt dependencies so you could as well install them now.
>>
>>62082300
No.
>>
>>62082163
>defragging on linux
>>
>>62082305
Its been 8 years and i still dont have qt,gstreamer. not going to change that now for a bloated file manager
>>
>>62082141

How many times have you managed to ruin just one partition? If your hard drive dies, it dies as a whole. Having it on separate partitions accomplishes nothing.

Having a separate boot partition is only useful with UEFI.
Having your home directory on one is useless. Reasons why here >>62078806.
>>
>>62082300
100mb - /boot
20gb - /
rest of it /home

Whats so hard about partitioning?
>>
>>62082314
Wut? Im a winfag trying to switch! Its unnecessary?
>>
>>62082300
If you do fuck up your system, having a separate /home will save your precious anime porn and shit. And also,
>Allocating space for /root and /home is not rocket science, git gud faggot
>>
>>62082342

Because it's useless for the majority of people.
>>
=>>62082340
>>62082359
Sure is neo /g/ summer in here
>>
>>62082359
No dumbass, even the installer for Ubuntu (for normies) gives you the option to separate your /home folder
>>
>>62082283
I never used synergy but I read about it. Since all my devices are gnu/linux, I prefer using x2x.

>>62082300
I've had /home on a separate partition for years, it went from ubuntu to crunchbang to debian to gentoo without a single hitch. I don't think connfig giles for different software versions is actually an issue.
>>
>>62082356

No, having a separate home partition won't save your documents. It will be exactly the same as if you didn't have them on a separate partition.
You can still access those files if your OS becomes unbootable. How do you idiots think that having a separate partition for your home directory will save your files?

>>62082364

Kill yourself you retarded meme spreader. You have no real arguments apart from reinforcing your superiority by spouting assumptions and logical fallacies.

>>62082375

>normies
Opinion disregarded.
They offer that only so you can encrypt it easier. That's the only viable reason, you idiot.
>>
File: 1480212815427.jpg (36KB, 276x320px) Image search: [Google]
1480212815427.jpg
36KB, 276x320px
>>62080718
Anyone?
>>
>>62082340
>>62082359
Encryption
>>
>>62082392
>Offer for encryption, viable reason
Point me to a source then retard
>>
>>62082340
>Having it on separate partitions accomplishes nothing.
You win though in the case you need to reinstall. You win nothing if you use only one partition. There is one obvious choice here.
>>
>>62082395
Whichever one you like the most.
>>
>>62082402

No, you're supposed to convince people that having a separate home partition will somehow save your files from being lost.
>>
>>62082395
The always correct choices Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora. Arch, Void or Gentoo if you want to tinker i.e. waste time.
>>
>>62082420
>ONLY viable reason
Yeah, deflecting then? So you have no argument
>Convince faggots
I already did, borking your system allows you to still access a separate /home
>>
>>62082453

That was my argument. Show yours.

>I already did, borking your system allows you to still access a separate /home
You can do that even without a separate home partition, you retard.
>>
>>62082470
V
>>62082400
>>
>>62082470
That would depend on how you /fucked/ up your system. But whatever you do what you want to do :^)
>>
>>62082482

Encryption was already mentioned and he claimed it had other benefits than encryption. But unfortunately he can't provide any, apart from the retarded reason that you can access your home partition after breaking something only if it's on a separate partition.
>>
>>62082420
You can format /, install a new distro, and leave all your dank memes on /home intact.
>>
>>62082587

Yes, and all the useless cached files and whatnot as described here >>62078806.
>>
>>62082400
But it's best to encrypt the whole drive.
>>
Is that retard serious?

>1 giant partition with OS and files
>need to reinstall OS
>have to destroy all data

>1 OS partition 1 Files partition
>need to reinstall OS
>format OS partition, files safe

???
>>
>>62082392
Well don't you sound like a little twat.

In addition to making encryption easier and your stuff more portable e.g. during reinstall, you can also have different mount options for different stuff. E.g. separating usually world writable /tmp to own partition might be a good idea, since noexec can be given as option to avoid installation of any executable code in it.

And don't give me "doesn't apply for majority" bullshit. If you can't use something, doesn't mean it's not useful. Go back to your summer camp.

For source, google e.g. CIS Benchmark Debian
>>
>>62082673
>Partitioning is hard and complicated
Just leave him be
>>
>>62082673
just dont format the os partition? you can reinstall without reformatting if you are not retarded.
>>
>>62082673
But why do you need to reinstall your OS? Why are you fucking things up so much that you're having to reinstall constantly?

If you're reinstalling once every few years, what's so hard about cleanly copying your files across? You should already be backing up your important files separately anyway.
>>
>>62082617
The first thing you do IN CASE that happens, is rename you're related .config dirs and *rc files, then launch the problematic program again.
It's not rocket appliances.
>>
>>62082392
pack your shit kid and fuck off back to /r/linuxnewbies
>>
>>62082630
In normal scenario, you'd still want separate /boot drive but whatevs
>>
>>62082707
>just spend more time doing stuff if you don't do it often
why would i waste time copying something that i can have at my disposal immediately? partitioning is not that hard and it's your problem if you're too lazy to learn
>>
>>62082258
vmware has official support for ancient OS'.

vbox can operate on kvm that's why its great for Linux based OS' and has addon support for 2k and later and gnu/linux.
>>
>>62082630
You cant encrypt the /boot partition because there is no other layer of execution that would serve before the bootloader that would decrypt /boot.
>>
>>62082846
Actually you can if you store your initramfs somewhere else, can't you?
>>
>>62082869
yiss
>>
>>62082690

>you can also have different mount options for different stuff. E.g. separating usually world writable /tmp to own partition might be a good idea, since noexec can be given as option to avoid installation of any executable code in it.
If you use systemd, it creates a tmpfs for /tmp automatically and you can specify noexec there. You don't need a separate partition for it.
>>
>>62082771

No.
>>
>>62082869
Yes, but you still cannot encrypt /boot
>>
>>62082906
>You can't encrypt /boot
>Actually you can
>Yes but you still cannot encrypt /boot
Your answer doesn't make sense anon.
>>
>>62082947
You can put your initram on say a sd card or a usb and have your system setup to to use that with uuid, sure, but you cannot encrypt /boot because there is no other layer of execution above the bootloader. There are no programs that would decrypt it during init. LUKS/dmcrypt is accessible at the bootloader level.
>>
>>62082885
>>62082885
True, but you can't use same /tmp partition for two systems. And obviously non-systemd OS won't benefit from that. I'm not sure either, whether tmpfs allows limiting size of /tmp easily, like you can do with partition size.

But good point, all in all.
>>
>>62082673
>need to reinstall OS
said no linux user ever
>have to destroy all data
why? you can just delete everything except /home and whatever else you want to keep
you can even do this with windows, since forever
where did you get this assumption?
>>
>>62082976
>can't use same /tmp partition for two systems
You can. /tmp is cleared upon reboot.
>And obviously non-systemd OS won't benefit from that.
False, every system will benifit from a tmpfs.
>I'm not sure either, whether tmpfs allows limiting size of /tmp easily, like you can do with partition size.
If you use systemd it defaults to 1/2 your ram, but you can change it to be as small or large as you want

Come back when you know what the fuck you are talking about
>>
>>62081595
There was only one image in there.
>>
>you cannot encrypt /boot because there is no other layer of execution above the bootloader
I don't understand (sorry if I sound dumb, I'm a little drunk). When you boot your computer it loads grub which is stored somewhere near your mbr/efi partition. Grub looks up your initramfs if you have one and can do that on an usb drive. Your usb drive loads all the necessary binaries to decrypt your /boot. Then your actual kernel is loaded from /boot.

How am I mistaken? What makes you say that you can't encrypt your /boot?
>>
>>62081595
Is that katawa shoujo on the lower right?
>>
>>62082869
>>62082906
>>62082947
what doesn't make sense is encrypting /boot
one way or another, the first things to get loaded need to be unencrypted, which can in turn decrypt anything else needed
grub has support for encrypted volumes, but even with that, grub, it's configuration, and it's modules, need to be on an unencrypted volume, so the system can load and run them
i guess you could place your kernel and initramfs on a separate, encrypted volume, but why bother? they shouldn't contain any sensitive information anyway
>>
>>62083010
Thanks for teaching me something new about tmpfs. Guess i have some reading to do.

Though if you're the same anon who claimed having multiple partition has no benefits, this still doesn't prove your point.
>>
>>62083134
>but why bother
Some one can inject their own kernel in to your bootloader if you have an open bootloader
>>
>>62083177
>same anon
I'm not.
>>
>>62083134
I don't know know much about it but I think encrypting your /boot makes sense if you use uefi secure boot options/tpm.
Also, using an encrypted /boot and an initramfs on a usb drive you always have on yourself could prevent someone from replacing your kernel with a compromised one.

With that said, I have encrypted my /home but never bothered with my /boot. I don't expect the NSA or the FBI to try and physicall access my laptop in order to compromise my computers.
>>
>>62082385

I just tested x2x and it seems simpler. Took me some time to get it working, because you need to enable X11 forwarding for ssh.
I'm just not sure of the implications that has.
>>
>>62083180
they'd still need your passphrase to unlock your rootfs, regardless of what they do to your grub config or kernel/initramfs
if they can unlock your root, then they have everything, the contents of /boot doesn't matter
>>
>>62083195
Then have a splendid Friday night
>>
>>62083213
As far as I know it doesn't make your installation any less secure, but I'm far from being an expert on the subject.
>>
>>62083068
Dungeon Travelers 2
>>
>>62083241
And when they silently install a rogue kernel image on to your boot.And now you have malware thats recording your passwords/knowing the location of your keyfiles?
Evil maid bro
>>
>>62083286
that would require either root access, or physical access
for root access, you're fucked
for physical access, you could do something like placing /boot on a flash drive, which you only insert when booting, and hide it somewhere otherwise, perhaps also have a checksum for it placed elsewhere so you can test it before use if you're extra paranoid
you could move your kernel and initramfs to your rootfs, leaving only grub unencrypted, but if you're concerned about /boot modifications, unnoticed grub.conf edits can do a lot as well (an attacker could just place a bad initramfs onto your /boot and edit grub.conf to load that instead)
>>
What fs_passno should I be using for a btrfs multidisk volume? 0 or 2?
I'm really new to it and I don't want to break anything because I'm really loving it so far. I know scrub is not a filesystem checker but everything is so different and weird so I don't know what the best approach is.
>>
>>62083439
Use ext4.
btfs is a developer filesystem and is not stable at all, and will eat your data randomly
>>
>>62083439
I've been using btrfs with passno=0 for 5 years without a single data loss. Don't listen to >>62083448 .
>>
>>62083457
I've been using ext4 for 9 years without a single data loss, listen to >>62083448
>>
>>62083448
>being this retarded
SUSE has been shipping it as the default filesystems since 2014 with no problems.
The core functionality is stable, just some more advanced features are hairy.
>>
>>62083499
>The core functionality is stable, just [the reasons to use it] are hairy.
that said, you should be keeping backups anyway, regardless of filesystem choice
>>
>>62083499
>some random unrelevent distro
Nice.
>advanced features
Having raid support isnt an "advanced feature" its a basic feature
>>
>>62083525
Reasons to use it? COW isn't hairy. Snapshots aren't hairy. BTRFS-send isn't hairy. The only hairy thing used to be raid5/6 support, which ext4 doesn't do as far as I know, and even that has been fixed in recent kernels (namely 4.12).
>>
>>62083556
>which ext4 doesn't do as far as I know
The fuck are you on?
ext4 dosent shit its self when its used on a raid system
>>
>>62083448
Yeah, that's how I was too, but then I tried it out and it's great. Honestly I only wanted to experiment with it, but it's a keeper. I keep backups so I'm not too concerned. /g/ makes it sound like btrfs throws your data away at least once a day or some shit.
>>62083457
I guess I'll just stick to 0.
>>
>>62083525
I used it for online grow and shrink, and snapshots. Both worked great.

>>62083532
>some random unrelevent distro
SUSE is the second biggest enterprise linux vendor.
And yes, the RAID thing sucks, but it's definitely not a basic feature and it can always be worked around with md.
>>
>>62083556
>even that has been fixed in recent kernels
so i heard, but you can't blame me for being a little skeptical
after all, the original problem was unknown for some time

>>62083576
he means ext4 doesn't itself handle raid, he's not talking about btrfs on say, mdadm, btrfs itself natively handles raid by itself, that is, not on top of another layer (mdadm)
>>
>>62083576
BTRFS on mdadm has always worked. BTRS has "native" raid5/6, i.e. it'd baked into the FS, the same way it is baked into ZFS.
>>
>>62083588
Yep, passno 0 is correct. Btrfs should keep the filesystem error-free as a part of normal operation.
(But there's still fsck functionality in case something fucks up - they've learned from the ZFS fiasco.)
>>
How long until Gentoo ditches portage for Guix?
>>
How do i not get btfo by using launchpad? What things should i look for to not get some malware?
>>
>>62081679
Write your own OS.
>>
Hi I don't know if this type of post is allowed here but I can't hurt.

Basically I am new to Linux and tried mounting an USB drive. I can read and edit files but I can't create new files on the mounted drive (including the cp command)

I tried googling but I only found missing write permission, but since I can edit files this can't be it, right?
>>
>>62083867
How are you mounting?
Are you using fstab?
Udev rules?
Type the command you are using to mount.
>>
>>62083877
just a normal sudo mnt /dev/sdb1 ~/mnt
I can also not use the dolphin file browser automount.

Filesystem is the standard windows 7 one, Fat16 or something
>>
>>62083912
>>62083912
drwx------ 1 daniel daniel 8192 25. Aug 17:35 mnt

Permissions
>>
>>62083912
try this
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdb1 ~/mnt
>>
>>62083912

Which distribution? Either way, it most likely ships udisks2 by default. Use that to mount, because it wraps it around some polkit rules which allow you to mount it as your own user.

udisksctl mount --help
>>
>>62082832
It's not that it's "hard and difficult to learn". It's just more work and more complexity for no real benefit.
>>
>>62083943
Copy pasted it

Still no permissions. Even as su

>>62083979
Arch Linux
Ok I try that and update when I got this done
>>
>>62078120
FUCK YOU CANONICAL
>>
>>62084019
chown the mountpoint to your user
change it to 777 as well for now
>>
>>62082846
This is why you put /boot on a hardware encrypted USB drive.
>>
>>62077602
whois that guy?
>>
>>62084032
doesn't work. I can still view all the files, this is really wierd
>>
>>62084073
Richard Stallman
>>
>>62084127
thanks
>>
Can anyone give me some advice? I've used Linux for a long time but always on a desktop. I want to put it on a tablet now.

1. What's power consumption like with Linux? I've heard opposite things here, that it's better than Windows and that it's absolutely terrible.

2. What desktop environments have good touch usability?
>>
>>62084146
install gentoo
>>
>>62084177

How's your first day on g?
>>
>>62083867
>>62083877
>>62083912
>>62083937
>>62083943
>>62083979
>>62084032

Sorry I'm a retard. Filesystem was actually NTFS and I had to install the package ntfs-3g. Thanks for the help though, at least I learned how to change permission and ownership
>>
>>62084276
>duhurrr maybe if I start calling people newfags for using memes I don't like they'll stop
>>
>>62084304
install gentoo
>>
>>62083789
Bump.
>>
>>62084276
slow
>>
File: 2017-08-25-144750_556x131_scrot.png (16KB, 556x131px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-25-144750_556x131_scrot.png
16KB, 556x131px
reeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
Please help, no bully.

I want to install arch (or any pacman-based distro) on my Insignia Flex Tablet, so I searched and found this https://github.com/Mechazawa/Arch-Linux-Asus-F205TA, which seems to use the same Intel Atom x5 Z8300 processor. Easy enough, so i download grub and do make. Then i get this error
grub_script.yy.c: In function ‘yy_fatal_error’:
grub_script.yy.c:18:22: error: statement with no effect [-Werror=unused-value]

^
grub_script.yy.c:2366:2: note: in expansion of macro ‘fprintf’
(void)yyg;
^~~~~~~

Now, the mailing list (?) says this particular error was fixed, but i'm using the latest GCC and latest grub. All i want to do is boot into linux on the tablet, but that's not happening when i use the bootia32.efi from this or any other source. When i use the bootia32.efi on my USB, i get a looping error of

command not found: '['
command not found: 'read'

(not exactly, but that's the gist)

Any ideas?
>>
>be me
>have ~250 megabyte USB
>wanna use it for something
>why not gparted or something?
>get gparted, just above 250 in size, doesn't fit
>puppy linux precise
>has gparted and a ton of other shit
>more than 100 meggies space left on USB
>to this day used the USB for a crapton of jobs
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>62085115
how the fuck does this make a difference on web?
>tfw only supported web browser is internet explorer
>>
File: 1501039297088.png (477KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1501039297088.png
477KB, 1366x768px
Whenever I play videos in full screen in browser these video glitches in pic related occur.

I'm running debian in i3 so is there something I should disable or install? I've already installed compton.

I'm also getting problems with audio playback where it occasionally clips and glitches.
>>
>>62085967
your cpu/gpu is shit
>>
>>62085987
I'm using an X220 thinkpad
>>
File: image.jpg (433KB, 821x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
433KB, 821x1080px
I never thought Linux would be necessary in my life but I see more and more people in my future line of work getting stumped by (what I assume are) simple Linux server issues
How would I go about learning various Linux programs and learning to solve basic issues that might arise?
Is there even a district that's both idiot-proof but still capable enough to learn some useful work on?
I hear the Debian name dropped every now and then, should I just install that on some machine and flail around struggling until I understand how to computer?
Not here for open sores, I'm here for educational computering, anything I need to keep in mind?
>>
>>62085324
WAIT, i've got a grub minimal bash screen. Progress!

can anyone help? how do i boot into the arch installer from the grub minimal bash?
>>
>>62086209
>How would I go about learning various Linux programs and learning to solve basic issues that might arise?
You set goals for the day and you go and setup things

Setup the good old fashion LAMP server one day.Add some services to it, do some database management.
Move on to user access and ssh the next day, setup these servers to mimic real life
situations(say 20 users of varying access)
Setup iptables and make a small network
Find a program that interest you on github and compile it manually.

The best way is to just fucking do it while you have the time to play around with things.
>>
>>62086209
Install Gentoo. Seriously.

You want to learn how GNU/Linux works under the hood then you can't really beat doing a manual installation in which you put all the parts together yourself.

Of course it's possible to do it all blind, but the point is that as you install it go look up shit if you don't understand what you're doing. If you complete the installation and understand why you did everything you had to do then you'll have a pretty good starting point for understanding all the major components of a GNU/Linux system

THEN maybe do what the other anon suggested >>62086240
Because there's going to be a lot of people in the field who already know shit like LAMP servers and the software that runs on top of a GNU/Linux machine. But if you want to set yourself apart with deeper knowledge of GNU/Linux then you have to dive into it.
>>
>>62086209
Install Linux on an old machine or vm, break it, read manuals and google furiously until you fix it, repeat previous two steps
>>
>>62086326
bonus points if you install gentoo on all your company servers so you become irreplacable
>>
>>62086326
I just realized this might sound confusing.

By "do it blind" what I meant is you follow the handbook step by step without thinking.
So don't do that, follow the handbook step by step, but make sure you do put thought into what you're doing and ask questions when you don't know WHY something is exactly the way it is
>>
>>62084039
Or you can use secure boot and have it verify your bootloader and kernel and initramfs are signed properly. Matthew Garrett blogs often in the subject if you want some inspiration
>>
>>62082156

What is system dependent? Systemd-boot? How is it system dependent or more systemd dependent than GRUB?
>>
File: 1474612892337.jpg (106KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
1474612892337.jpg
106KB, 700x467px
>>62086209
>stallman pic
>linux
>>
>>62086003

Enable TearFree if you're using Intel.
>>
>read i3 userguide
>"If a window is activated, e.g., via google-chrome www.google.com, it may request to take focus."
>google-chrome
>google.com
REEEE
>>
>>62086731
i3 is overrated anyway. There are so many cool TWMs, but everyone just follows the herd and sticks to i3. Look into bspwm for example, it's pretty cool, follows a binary tree and has stuff like gaps ootb. Awesome is cool too if you know a bit LUA and has lots of great plugin. Down the rabbit hole you will find other cool things like herbstluftwm or even wmutils if you like to script your own TWM!
>>
>>62086686
Why is there even an option to disable tearing? Literally who wants screen tearing?
>>
How do I get started with ricing my System to raise the comfyness level?
>>
>>62087370
https://rizonrice.github.io/resources
>>
>>62086228
Please? I looked around and all the solutions telling me to set root to hd1, 1 or are not working.

I don't want to have to be stuck with Windows 10 for this tablet.
>>
File: 1480562697204.jpg (68KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1480562697204.jpg
68KB, 429x410px
>>62087472
>they extended the list with macos and windows rice
>>
>>62084146
Nobody knows then?
>>
arch user here, using dwm
laptop screen don't sleep when close the lid, how fix?
>>
>>62087911
Follow the guide on the wiki on how to enable and set this up
>>
>>62087925
man thanks anon
i acpid package
font, like Iosevka, wider?
>>
>>62084146
1. I think on windows it is easier to configure power saving settings. But on Linux you can go more lightweight and if you inform yourself you can easily beat windows.

2. Gnome 3 is being developed with touch screens in mind. I would probably still use a touch-screen/ keyboard hybrid, but it's pretty usable with touchscreens already.
>>
>>62080064
do u not feel accomplisment anymore?
I cant imagine you were born knowing how 2 linux fuck outta here.
>>
decide me a distro that's easy to hack on with no gui. i hear systemd complicates things a lot, right?
>>
OpenBSD
FreeBSD if you feel the need for a bit of prior DIY
>>
>>62087472
wow thanks that is very comprehensive. I will take some time tomorrow to look into it in detail
>>
>>62088292
What kind of hacking? It's a bit of an overloaded term for the last 40 years.
>>
>>62087991
How's Plasma with touch?
>>
>>62088310
>OpenBSD
>claims to be secure
>no mandatory access control
>no sandboxes
>no namespaces
>no jails
>no way to contain or restrict the execution of untrusted or buggy code
into the trash it goes
>>
Does anyone know how to make i3 to honor lemonbar's geometry settings? It just slaps it to the top at the moment.
>>
>>62088621
Is the lainchan thread too slow for you or something?
>>
File: cringe.png (354KB, 550x528px) Image search: [Google]
cringe.png
354KB, 550x528px
>>62088675
>lainchan
>>
>>62088310
>OpenBSD
lazy ass devs sacrificing functionality for muh """security"""
>FreeBSD
corporate cock sleeve
>>
>>62088755
What's wrong with lainchan?
>>
>>62088844
it's literally anonymous reddit
>>
File: smgl_logo_wizard.jpg (15KB, 312x402px) Image search: [Google]
smgl_logo_wizard.jpg
15KB, 312x402px
>>62088310
install Source Mage GNU+Linux
>>
File: 1456360079692.png (84KB, 480x267px) Image search: [Google]
1456360079692.png
84KB, 480x267px
>>62088869
>4chan user calling another chan "literally anonymous reddit"
>>
In Debian Buster, how do I:

>set mouse sensitivity below the minimum in the Hardware->Mouse menu
>turn off mouse acceleration

Tried googling but none of what I've tried works.
>>
>>62088920
go back to your cucked chan, faggot
>>
>>62088920
fuck off back to your gay cyberpunk rp club
>>
>>62088600
delving into, doing neat stuff on, learning the inner workings of that are not seen by normies
>>
>>62088869
wat
>>
File: smgl_tux.png (28KB, 158x180px) Image search: [Google]
smgl_tux.png
28KB, 158x180px
>>62088946
install Source Mage GNU+Linux
>>
>>62086342
>>62086326
>Stage 3 install
>Difficult

o i am laffin. Gentoo isn't nearly as difficult as it was in the bad old days.

Furthermore, there is nothing inherently difficult in install a GNU/Linux distribution from stage 3 or a live medium. The difficulty comes from mass deployment, in which every negligible hiccup is amplified two-fold. Even installing a distro ontop of something that isn't typically supported, such as ZoL, is a simple matter of patching a live medium to support ZFS, and even then there's practically no difference between distros for ZFS except for packaging userland tools. I would be embarrassed if I were you for showing off my brainlet-ness.

If you really, genuinely do want to suffer through an obnoxious, obtuse, redundant install, try exherbo.
>>
>>62088995
It's okay anon my browser supports tabs.
>>
k, so my x220's boot sector is fucked, so this is a prime opportunity just tell win10 to fuck off.
should i give this puppy debian or elementary? all I'll really do with it is porn and chinese cartoons.
>>
>>62088946
Try xset or whatever
>>
>>62089074
Honestly, it doesn't really matter what you choose in the end. But since it is an important decision, I suggest https://distrochooser.de/ (also has an english version) so you can easily compare distros in all areas (16) one could possibly care about
>>
>>62089055
Nobody said any of what you're assuming dumbass.
Not even going to bother reading past the 1st sentence of your post because I'm sure it's just you jerking yourself off to 100% irrelevant shit nobody was talking about
>>
>>62089129
xset m 0 0 doesn't effect the acceleration.
>>
>>62089074
You could read the OP.
>>
On ubuntu how can I compile get the latest version of ffmpeg or mpv?

Also my speaker is not being detected any reasons as to why?
>>
File: watdo.png (15KB, 787x423px) Image search: [Google]
watdo.png
15KB, 787x423px
Halp. First time install. What am I looking at here? Googling tells me that these things are all desktop interfaces? What do?
I don't mind running everything from a terminal, in fact I almost prefer it, but I do want to be able to have multiple emacs windows opened on the same screen.
>>
>>62089227
> The mouse option controls the mouse parameters; it may be abbreviated to 'm'. Of course, it applies to most pointing devices, not just mice. The parameters for the pointing device are`acceleration' and `threshold'. The acceleration can be specified as an integer, or as a simple fraction. Threshold is just an integer. The setting is applied to all connected pointingdevices. xinput(1) should be used if you need device-specific settings.
>>
>>62089247
Uncheck everything
>>
>>62089247
Either pick any one, or pick none and later install i3 or something.
Xfce is the most sane option.
>>
>>62089261
>>>/b/
>>
>>62089254
Not sure what you're trying to imply here? I used the command and the mouse acceleration is still there.
>>
>>62089266
Should I uncheck Debian desktop environment if I've checked Xfce? Or do I need the former even with the latter.
>>
Can I install linux on a late 2015 imac? I searched on google but all the attempts (which failed) seem to be old, from 2015 itself.
>>
Where are the good posters? Are you sleeping?
>>
>>62089359
dead
>>
>>62089351
Stop using Google. Try startpage, or searx.
>>
>>62089317
I think that's just some basic utilities. Leave it checked.

Unless you don't like bloat, in which case you shouldn't be installing Debian
>>
NEW THREAD

>>62089433
>>62089433
>>62089433
>>
>>62089389
Why delete?
I just made one too.
New thread: >>62089411
>>
>>62089441
>>62089442
I see, before you delete yours, let me delete mine.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170825_211446.png (43KB, 1774x194px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170825_211446.png
43KB, 1774x194px
Why aren't my Ktorrent files seeding?
>>
>>62089288
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "AccelerationNumerator" "1"
Option "AccelerationDenominator" "1"
Option "AccelerationThreshold" "0"
EndSection

In the xorg.conf / xorg.d Works for Me™. You may have to qualify the mouse with MatchProduct or MatchVendor if you have more than one pointing device installed. You can get that info from your Xorg logs or lsusb.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.