[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So it's been 25 years since Linux first became available,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 21

File: ded pengun.jpg (85KB, 781x933px) Image search: [Google]
ded pengun.jpg
85KB, 781x933px
So it's been 25 years since Linux first became available, at no point in it's life has it even broken the 4% market share barrier.

Is it time to cut support for Linux and call the experiment a failure?
>>
>>62076249
>4% market share barrier.
is this some secret stat? linux is everywhere. sounds like bullshit.

like "Trump will never win" tier bullshit.
>>
There are more than laptop/desktop markets.
There are cases where linux on laptop or desktop makes more sense than anything.
>>
>>62076253
>she thinks drumpf is winning
oh sweetie. He can't even repeal and replace Obamacare.
>>
Linux does great in mobile, servers and super computers. There is more to computing than desktop you know.
>>
>>62076249
Over 90% marketshare in internet-facing servers and smartphones. And it's found everywhere else, too, from embedded systems to supercomputers. Pretty much the only place where it isn't the most successful operating system is the desktop market.

Now that we're clear on how stupid you are, you can go back to /v/.
>>
to be this triggered by a literally free and open OS to post this shit, holy lol
>>
>>62076298
>Over 90% marketshare in internet-facing servers and smartphones.
[Citation Needed]

GNU/Linux is a dead OS.
>>
>>62076296
>>62076298

>Linux
>Smartphones

You what.jpg
As far as I know, projects like Sailfish fake miserably.
>>
>>62076340
Android is linux, mate.
>>
>>62076349
LOL

No it's not.
>>
>>62076363
LOL

Yes it is.
>>
>>62076249
That's like looking at the bell shaped curve distribution of intelligence and calling humankind a failure.
>>
>>62076249
No. I don't care about Market Share, nor does most of the Linux community (devs included). All most people care about is that it works for THEM. If it takes over the market, that's great, but it isn't the point, and never was.
>>
>>62076363
Android uses the linux kernal, but it is not linux in the since of GNU/linux...
>>
>>62076249
Android is Linux, and is dominating the market.
>>
>>62076415
Too bad OP didn't specify GNU/Linux.
>>
why should i care? profit isn't the point of it, so who cares about muh marketshare
>>
>>62076430
>profit
>freeware
???
>>
>>62076422
I don't really care about the label. Linux is a kernel, I can understand the confusion because I know the musings are common, but if someone says linux without context, I normally get what they're saying.
>>
File: 1477787263875.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1477787263875.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>62076363
>>
>>62076457
>A Nigger Comes to /G/
I've seen this one already.
>>
>>62076469
jeeze what is with this /pol/tard. No one cares.
>>
>>62076533
I'm way smarter than you, so I seeded that post to expose off-board fags.

You lost. Ask your boss why.
>>
>>62076249
I don't think the point of linux is market share, but more for a well rounded open source expierence. Although commercial software exist for it, the general userbase will never care if it grows in marketshare, they use it because it works for them, and what doesn't work they view as a project. I love linux but I don't mind if it stays within a low user base.
>>
>>62076249
>Is it time to cut support for Linux and call the experiment a failure?
98% of the Super Computers runs linux

Get your shit straight OP
>>
>>62076549
o..okaay...
>>
File: 1495839746194.png (227KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1495839746194.png
227KB, 1280x720px
>>62076249
>it even broken the 4% market share barrier.
Linux is THE most popular kernel worldwide, dumb fuck

Android alone is more popular than wankblows and then there are Linux servers, super computers, other embedded devices and mainframes.
>>
>>62076574
you glow in the fucking dark nigger
>>
Literally as soon as gayme development and miners get interest in Linux (dropping directx, proper drivers for hardware) it'll spike in usage by people who actually know how to computer. Gaymers and cryptoniggers (streamers too) drive a lot of that desktop market.

If MS office was replaced that's the office worker converted.

Sadly, probably will never happen.
>>
>>62076279
Which cases?
>>
>>62076363
>the absolute state of /g/
>>
>>62076594
>If MS office was replaced
every time libre office gets updated, they're just going to steal it and make it into microsoft shit that niggers prefer.

open sources curse. that's how microsoft is holding on. they literally take our code.
>>
>>62076595
Bare metal C/C++ development, for me
>>
Active Directory is another thing too. How do you control dozens of client machines in an office by serving them policies and their accounts / userdata from a central server and redundant servers? It's crucial to a lot of workplaces, especially school districts.

I may just be wrong and there could be an established way to do this, in that case I'd love to know out of curiosity.
>>
>>62076630
>open sources curse. that's how microsoft is holding on. they literally take our code.
MS isn't that stupid, they know they'd get caught and sued for blatant GPL violations like that.
>>
>>62076648
you're naive. they steal code and obfuscate it. have been for years.
>>
>>62076457
It's a good idea to cut support for GNU and call the experiment a failure, only to stop retards like you putting GNU shit everywhere will be a nice reason. Linux is superior though on mobiles and supercomplucters.
>>
>>62076630

I don't wanna be that guy, but libre office is functional, where MS office is user friendly. Also MS office has far more features (albiet, pointless) than libre office. I don't think MS office copies from libre. That's a pretty bad shot in the dark... that said, I love libre.
>>
>>62076594
Thank you based MINERS, GAYMERS are finished & bankrupt.

Now that we're clear on how stupid you are, you can go back to /v/.
>>
>>62076660
What, you expect everyone using LAMP to switch to BSD for no good reason?
>>
>>62076673
My preferences are different than most people's, I think. Office 2003 is best, followed by Libre Office 5, then everything else. I hate that ribbon shit. I spent 20 years of my life learning the old way, and have no real interest in doing shit the new way. Luckily my job doesn't require any of that shit.
>>
>>62076660
Lol Gnu is kind of what sets the desktop apart from the kernal my friend! I understand why people get frustrated with inserting GNU into it, because its pointless. But you gotta give credit to GNU for pushing things into that direction.
>>
>>62076695
this
>>
>>62076695
It's nice without aggressive branding and advertisement.
>>
>>62076690
Seriously? It took me less than 2 hours to figure out excel and word's ribbon design. I don't even like to use Microsoft products, but its designed to be a no-brainer. The commands are pretty consistant too. Office 2003 was great, but that ribbon design made office really easy to use.
>>
>>62076689
I expect retards stop sticking inferior GNU to superior Linux.
>>
>>62076340
>what is Android
>>
>>62076673
>libre office is functional
yep
>MS office is user friendly
for niggers
>MS office has far more features (albiet, pointless)
yeah, they stole libre office and then added some gay pointless bullshit

that's how microshit operates. thieves who ruin things to profit off niggers.
>>
>>62076719
I just could never be assed to bother. I know where everything is in Office 2003/Libre Office 5. If something needed to be submitted in docx exclusively (which has never happened), I would just whip it up in Office 2003 or Libre, save it as .doc, open it in Office 2007 (or whatever they have at my work), and save it as a .docx file. Done.
>>
>>62076706
I rarely see an avertisement for linux, and when I do its just advertising the distro.

No one says fedora/gnu/linux, they just say fedora, or linux. If I ran around saying 'GNU' I'd probably get laughed at. I think you people take memes too seriously.
>>
File: 1500734411410.jpg (5KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1500734411410.jpg
5KB, 250x250px
>>62076739
>using the n-word on a blue board
You just outed yourself as a /pol/tard, your containment board exists for a reason.
>>
>>62076749
I'm a glorious white man. I go wherever I choose and I spit on dumb fuck niggers whenever possible. Fuck you, menthol monkey.
>>
>>62076749
Not him, but "nigger" has been a 4chan staple since its creation, to the point that Roody Poo was made as a filter to add even more humor when the word got stale.
>>
>>62076249
Linux has a 2.3% marketshare OS on Laptops and desktops and it is steadily gaining more in the last 5 years than ever before.

https://youtu.be/yXr8bqzf45Y

Steam supports Linux and Linux can play games on it.

It can even be bootable on a USB as a desktop. last but not least its possible to dual boot. It use to be much harder back in the old days. But now it's simpler and easier than before. I can see why it's close to beating Apple and it's 3.4% marketshare.
>>
>>62076727
Please tell, what is your replacement then?

>>62076739
okay /pol/, what did microsoft steal from libre? I really want you to answer this, and I'm a die hard libre office fan.

>>62076742
Lol I do this a lot in college! I primarily use Libre, and then I save as docX and use an older version of office for fixing formatting issues. Even googleDocs can fix the formatting issues from libre, but most of the time text documents come out alright. I HATE that microsoft has such a major hold on office documents. Its annoying to see that kind of dominance in software, but it works well..
>>
>>62076749
sounds like someone's an insecure cuck; oops, I mean the "c word", not that one though, or that one either.
>>
>>62076768
Lol you for got the peanut butter days of 2007. Bu people like this >>62076768 shitfag misinterpret the meme.
>>
>>62076749
>tos general
You just outed yourself as a newfag, go back to your containment safe space
>>
>>62076594
I don't get why people doesn't just install MSOffice on gnu/Linux if that was all they needed.
I get that excel is far better than gnumeric , libreoffice calc and the KDE one so why not just use excel?
It works fine on every machine I have tried it on.
>>
>>62076831
Because wine sucks with office? Lets be honest here, I LOVE linux with the passion of 1000 suns, but microsoft office crashes way to often with wine. I hate having to press ctrl + s every 5-10 min because I know at some point, I'm going to enter a formula, and its going to spazz out like a virgin having an orgasm. The only reason I have office in wine these days is to check for compatability and fix a documents formatting. I think libre office is faster than office by light-years, and its design is perfect for me. But what you reccomend is hell. I've even been embarassed by powerpoint in wine. The only version that works well is 2007.
>>
>>62076690
The old interface still works in ribbon, but you can't see it.
I use the same accelerators as in 2003 and they do the same thing mostly.
Don't know where you read the documentation now, but I think you still can.
>>
>>62076873
could it be the ver your distro package?
>>
>>62076875
Don't care enough. I've left MS's OS for good 2 years ago.
>>
>>62076873
2010 worked flawlessly for me.
I just installed it through the play on Linux so I didn't have to mess around with the winetricks myself.
I haven't used office in a while, but I can't imagine the support for it has gotten worse.
I have to try the newest one to see.
>>
>>62076883

Dude, you have no idea how many distro's I've ran in my 17 years of using linux. I've used all of them. I've used ubuntu, fedora, arch, gentoo, funtoo, suse, lfs, you can't name a distro I haven't tried. I contribute to open source software all the time. I know how much Office sucks in wine. You're kidding yourself if you think it's perfect. It runs horrible in almost every distro compared to using it in its native enviornment. But things may change... with microshaft embracing more linux technologies, we may just see a linux version some day.
>>
>>62076831
>I get that excel is far better than gnumeric , libreoffice calc and the KDE one so why not just use excel?
What's so great about excel? Obviously it's going to be easier to use (especially if that's what you're used to), but I for one have yet to encounter something I could do in excel I couldn't manage in calc.
>>
>>62076779
BSD userland, Android bionic, clang.

>>62076745
I think you're taking my figurative statement too literally, I didn't mean advertisement on CNN, I mean aggressive pushing GNU everywhere when people are starting to talk about Linux.
>>
>>62076922
Well more power to ya! I gurantee it runs better in a native enviornment than with wine. Its slow and buggy.
>>
>>62076296
>Linux does great in mobile, servers and super computers. There is more to computing than desktop you know.
so basically OP is right you dumb fuck, desktop linux is a failure and they should quit.
>>
>>62076949
Sorry for taking it litterally then, but that's just people clinging to a meme my friend! I rarely see a person in an office saying "Hey anon, I just to be compiled on a "GAH NOO SLASH LINUX" machine. They just say linux.

Also for your BSD user land suggestion:
http://sta.li/
is pretty cool.
>>
>>62076956
Why should I quit? So I can overpay for a Mac, or submit to the orwellian cock of MS?

Pass.
>>
>>62076987
>Why should I quit?
the devs should quit not you, retard. focus on one distro and kill the rest.
you don't have hundreds of active Windows based operating systems, do you?
>>
>>62076594
most gaymers are console casuals, the majority of people use what they use because they know it and they'll never care for anything else

Linux to the mainstream desktop market is that piece of ugly shit OEMs stick on cheap netbooks to save cash, and unless someone makes a conscious effort to change that, that's where it's staying
>>
Why is it so hard for you Pajeets to understand that the amount of Netflix watching normalfags running an OS is irrelevant? Even for Microsoft. What matters is what the people doing actual work are using, and the Linux kernel is fucking everywhere in that sector.
>>
>>62077019
But the point of Windows is to make a profit. The point of Linux is to make a distro that the makers like.
>>
>>62076956
The desktop solutions such as Xorg or GNOME are not limited to Linux, they're portable and do run on BSD systems as well. As far as I understand they're supported by RedHat and Google who use that desktop software internally for workstations.

OP was just proved that his place was rather /v/. And /g/ admins must admit that gaymers on /g/ are failure.
>>
>>62077026
>that the makers like
and that's exactly why it failed. enjoy 20+ new distros every year and 20+ other distros getting abandoned because autistic freetards are creating them on a whim for resume points.
>>
File: stop liking.jpg (43KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
stop liking.jpg
43KB, 400x350px
>>62077044
I do enjoy it. Seems like the OP should have been pic related.
>>
>>62077044
>It failed
But it didn't? It's wildly successful. Linus is not Billy G rich but he lives better than most.
>>
>>62077025
>and the Linux kernel is fucking everywhere in that sector.
so is Windows, OS X and a number of other platforms, "real work" isn't just the firmware in your shitty nerd toys, web servers and niche HPC systems
>>
>>62076282
He won the election you headass
the outcome of it was gonna be shit either way
>>
>>62077042
the world only needs:

2x BSD based distros for gay bsd stuff
2x Redhat based distros for enterprise stuff
2x ubuntu/debian for desktop stuff

that's it this is the final solution. you either exterminate and gas everything else, or desktop linux is stuck at 4% for the next 50 years. there's no room for debate here.

>>62077076
>one guy is successful
oh wow
>>
>>62077044
Holy shit, it seems like the only people calling linux a failure are uneducated.
>>
>>62076657
Proof.
>>
>>62077102
>the world only needs:
Yeah. Because we should only produce things based on need.

I'm sure you drive a Lada, just so that you can say this without being a hypocrite.

Not sure what a Lada is? Feel free to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r8oW1nl2gs
>>
>>62077102
>one guy
No matter how you look at it Linux is a massive success. The big name Jews put tons of money and manpower into developing it so they can turn around and use it in their botnets. The FOSS community depends on it to exist. The internet at large depends on it to function.
>>
>2017
>still doesnt have a modern ipc
>still doesnt have a stable api/abi
>still has a shitty vt subsystem
>still is a pain to develop to his parasitic GNU userspace combo
>claims to be the most used Kernel/OS
>even knowing that honor corresponds to ITRON
>>
>>62077103
creating and maintaining new shit like SemicodeOS and EnchantmentOS is basically the 'PHP CRUD app' of the linux world. every pajeet is doing it for fun and forgets about it later on.

There's a serious quantity over quality problem that desktop linux has right now and no matter how many times you call me names it's not gonna fix itself.

>>62077136
>No matter how you look at it Linux is a massive success.
ofcourse, but not on the desktop. like I said, keep a handful of actually useful distros and get rid of everything else.
>>
>>62077155
>Not on the desktop
And it never will be, because the vast majority of desktop use is for media consumption requiring Jewish protection schemes to function. If normalfags could play their gaymes and watch their GoyFlix on Ubuntu for FREE you'd better believe market share would skyrocket.
>>
>>62077155
>ofcourse, but not on the desktop. like I said, keep a handful of actually useful distros and get rid of everything else.
No. If someone wants to create something, who are you to tell them that its not ok? Who cares if you don't like it? Who cares if there's not a market for it?
>>
>>62076249
You are right Linux didn't succeed in the Desktop market share, although ~2% is not insignificant.

But you forget the other things, it dominates phones and super computers and has a very significant server market share.

It never got popular with the normies on desktops, but compared to the other branches it dominates in, that is irrelevant.
Also consider that the home desktop is slowly dying and many companies run Linux on the server backends.
>>
>>62076595
Penetration testing laptop
Secure OS for governments, banks, triple letter agencies

Thing is, Linux isn't for manchildren who need that max FPS in their gaylegends.
>>
>>62076749
>the n-word
Consider suicide. 4chan has never been a hugbox for people afraid of using words which people may find offensive.

You are looking for >>>/reddit/, there you will find the political correctness you are look for, not here.
>>
>>62077155
Lol no one is forcing you to use everyone's fork of a hobby os. Its fun for some of us, but its not like they're trying to become the next big thing. Linux is for open source enthusiasts, and enthusiasm isn't really a profitting thing, now is it? Its for our own fun. If you can't grasp that, I feel sorry for ya.

The market share is pointless to a linux desktop user, because they openly chose to use what they want to use...
>>
>>62076595
When the cloud meme starts to take over things like Chromebooks will become very relevant and the particular OS you are running will become unimportant.

If we have gayimng as a service, in a decade or so, even gaymers will have no need to run winblows.
>>
File: IMG_1491.jpg (481KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1491.jpg
481KB, 640x480px
>>62076768
>>62076763
>>62076739
>>62076594
>>62076590
>>62076469
Reported for violation of Global Rule 3 (racism), I can't believe this shit is becoming normalised on /g/.
>>
>>62077356
>>>/Reddit/

There your feelings won't be hurt, nigger.
>>
>>62077102
>desktop linux is stuck at 4% for the next 50 years.
All the data says otherwise. It's not exactly exploding with popularity, but the marketshare is steadily growing.
>>
>>62077356
In what way did I say anything racist? I'm >>62076768
Unless you think that it is racist to use the word at all, regardless of reasoning, at which point, might I suggest Tumblr?
>>
>>62076249

>So it's been 25 years since Linux first became available, at no point in it's life has it even broken the 4% market share barrier.

Thinking the desktop is what matters, in a world where 99% of the population won't even have a desktop computer.

And as for desktop marketshare, Apple with a shit ton of marketing and product placement, as well as the Apple hype, only managed to get about 8% of the desktop at it's peak, the fact that Linux is still growing while Apple is shrinking means Linux is doing great.
>>
>>62077395
>in a world where 99% of the population won't even have a desktop computer
Dumbass.
>>
>>62076249
>implying open source will compete and care about market share
>>
>>62077268
>gaming
>as a service
For as long as there is any sort of latency when streaming videogames, shit will not fly. Thanks to american internet, this is futher away than full on automation of manual labor.
>>
>>62077197
>If someone wants to create something, who are you to tell them that its not ok?
it still boggles my mind that linux "devs" are supposed to be quite efficient and pragmatic yet they choose to reinvent the distro wheel every time they need a new clock gadget and terminal font.

>>62077250
>The market share is pointless to a linux desktop user, because they openly chose to use what they want to use..
then dont complain about it cunt.

>>62077197
>who are you to tell them that its not ok? Who cares if you don't like it? Who cares if there's not a market for it?
because it's a massive unproductive waste of time especially towards people who actually look for a decent linux desktop but the people who should improve current shit distros are making their own shittier distros.
>>
>>62077444
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTbQH7cr2uM
>>
>>62077446
>it still boggles my mind that linux "devs" are supposed to be quite efficient and pragmatic yet they choose to reinvent the distro wheel every time they need a new clock gadget and terminal font.
You didn't answer the question that was asked.
>>
>>62077444
I never implied it would happen tomorrow.
But that will be the point at which windows is irrelevant for gamers.

Also latency is not that bad <50ms is playable, that is the case for most online games anyway.
>>
>>62077446
Lol I'm not complaing about linux's market share. I would ask to read all my posts, and find a complaint, but I think you're too narrow-minded to comprehend my points.
>>
>>62077446
>the people who should improve current shit distros
Why should? What obligation causes this should?
>>
File: 1497430342962.png (140KB, 1682x607px) Image search: [Google]
1497430342962.png
140KB, 1682x607px
>>62076249
https://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3516317
https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/operating_system/all
https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-unix/all/all
http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/tip/Red-Hat-bolsters-Linux-for-mainframes-tries-to-catch-Novell
https://www.top500.org/statistics/overtime/
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile+tablet-os-ww-monthly-201611-201611-bar
>>
>>62077356
Im sorry dude if you're offended. I'm black and I've been on this site for a decade. Free speech shouldn't bother you, its stupid to get mad over words, but what SHOULD bother you is OP being a faggot and not realizing that the market share for linux doesn't matter. That as a desktop, linux's goal isn't to have a large user base, but instead to promote open source software, education, and productivity in different ways compared to microsoft and apple. Also that linux isn't a failure, its actually quite sucessful. OP wants life to be too simple. You can't read the source code to most things in Windows or Apple, but you can in linux.
>>
Why is there 2 of these bait threads?

>server OS
great
>mobile OS
not bad
>desktop OS
shit

But people have a right to use it and like it as a desktop OS if they want to.
>>
>>62077476
>50ms latency is not bad
It's not like playing COD on a server in neighbour country, all your inputs are 3 fucking frames behind, it completely fucks with your brain. The only thing that's fine for is Civilization or Heroes.
>>
>>62076594
>MS Office

I just use the webapp version these days.
>>
>>62077543
It certainly won't be great for all games equally, but it is going to happen. Maybe it will take one or more decades, but it is just too good for the companies to pass up on.
Since it will virtually eliminate piracy.
>>
>>62077136
>Open source evangelists are hypocrite welfare queens living on gibs handed by the jew
>Richard Stallman being THE prime example
Wow color me surprised
>>
>>62077446

>it still boggles my mind that linux "devs" are supposed to be quite efficient and pragmatic yet they choose to reinvent the distro wheel every time they need a new clock gadget and terminal font.

Anyone can create a Linux distro (which is simply Linux+userspace packages), hence there are people who do that because they either find it a learning experience/fun, or because none of the existing alternatives meets their preferences. Still only a extremely small subset of Linux "devs" create a distro.

>because it's a massive unproductive waste of time especially towards people who actually look for a decent linux desktop but the people who should improve current shit distros are making their own shittier distros.

People use their spare time the way they choose you fucking dolt, if they wanted to improve an existing distro they would do that, when they make their own distro it means they have no interest in existing distros.

It's this idiotic idea that if someone wasn't working on something I don't like, they would of course work on something I do like, such fucking retarded thinking.
>>
>>62076282
>sweetie
You may stop using that word fag-pie
>>
Linux will never have a large market share, It's free software.
>>
>>62076595
for me that's Android development

i used to dual boot with Windows. on Win gradle building a certain app takes a minute and a half

the same app on Linux builds in less than 15 seconds on the same machine

you can't explain that. that shit is straight up magical bullshit from Harry Potter and the Legend of GNU
>>
>>62077453
I did, indirectly: millennial devs are cancerous ADHD ridden faggots.

>>62077776
>People use their spare time the way they choose
and they failed hard, hence the 4% share.

>>62077489
>Why should? What obligation causes this should?
because there should be a standard of quality of some sort, actual competent people contributing to important projects don't stop and shit out different versions of the same thing because DUDE IT'S FUN LMAO.

you keep touting "muh gnu" and "muh FOSS" but seems like everyone already forgot the main Unix tenets like avoiding the NIH syndrome and 'do one thing well'. you don't even know why you're using linux.

I really wish your whole family is on life support and the machines start breaking down, and when you call for someone to fix it they would say "sorry, there's not a standard here, there are 50 types of life support machines and I only know how to fix 12 of them, and the guy who build this has abandoned the project seven years ago so yeah good luck bro. btw feel free to build one yourself, here's a basic blueprint"
>>
>>62076249
Even if that was the case, it will have been 4% on a dozen million devices.
>>
>>62077982

>and they failed hard, hence the 4% share.

Gotten half the OSX desktop market share without any advertising or hype beyond word of mouth, and is still growing while a heavily promoted desktop system like OSX is shrinking.

Obviously they are doing incredible work, only a troll would try to paint this as a failure.
>>
File: 1502553525548-g.jpg (75KB, 401x511px) Image search: [Google]
1502553525548-g.jpg
75KB, 401x511px
>market share is all that matters
>a project should be abandoned because it isn't ''''mainstream''''
>there is no benefit to a highly customizable free OS
>this isn't b8
>>
>>62077490
/thread
>>
>>62076249
>cut support for Linux
what support m8?
>>
>>62078008
>only a troll would try to paint this as a failure.

when linux is borderline useful and doesnt shit the bed:
>Gotten half the OSX desktop market share without any advertising or hype beyond word of mouth, incredible work

when linux is shit and cant recognize a thumb drive or hibernate:
>LOL T'S JUST FOR FUN GO MAKE A PATCH YOURSELF OR IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT USE IT

that seems like troll-ish behavior to me.
>>
>>62077092
What you amerifags fail to understand is that it doesn't matter who wins, the US will be fucked either way.
>>
>>62078156
>can't recognize a thumb drive
>because he didn't install the fusermount package and doesn't ever google anything
>>
>>62078195
>bragging about Linux having half the OSX desktop market share while having the usability of ReactOS
top kek m8
>>
MUH ANDROID WHAAA WHAAAA!!!!

Linuxfags are such losers. OP was clearly talking about desktop/laptop consumer share.

Fucking loser virgins!
>>
File: 1469594961603.jpg (17KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1469594961603.jpg
17KB, 320x240px
>>62078264
>>62078309
>I can't refute what he's saying, so I'll samefag and call him a virgin
/thread
>>
>>62078334
what samefag? Linux has the out of the box usability of ReactOS and installing fusermount packages to get a normal behavior pretty much confirms it, what's there to refute?
>>
>>62078437
You got me,ed into using Arch, didn't you?
The reason it didn't have fusermount installed by default is that it's designed to be set up by someone who knows exactly what they need, such as an admin for a supercomputer (99% of supercomputers use linux).
Bet you 5 bucks Debian has it installed by default alongside Thunar.
>>
>>62078437
You're retarded. I just installed it on a laptop yesterday and everything worked
>WiFi
>Ethernet
>camera
>touch screen
Whereas I'd have to hunt down WiFi and Ethernet drivers if I installed windows.
>>
>>62078533
>muh supercomputahs
>>
File: 1448147225151.png (443KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1448147225151.png
443KB, 720x480px
>>62078577
>bitches about poor linux market share
>is told about a market that has a large amount of linux
>"that doesn't count!!!1!"
It's almost as if OP is a faggot. What a twist!
>>
>>62076249
TRIGGERED
>>
>>62076249
99.9% of computer manufacturers have a deal with Microsoft where every PC they build comes with Windows.

Apple computers ship exclusively with Mac OSX.

Linux is doing fine.
>>
How does linux rate in the phone market?
>>
>>62078616
>is told about a market that has a large amount of linux
but why? what does that have to do with anything? on the desktop it still sucks ass.
>>
>>62078713
75%+
>>
OP:
>hey guys look at this shit desktop linux market share
actual replies:
>muh android
>muh super computers
>muh servers
>muh GNU
>muh Richard Matthew Stallman
>muh MIT
>muh Tim Berners-Lee
>muh GCC
>muh embedded
>muh kernel
>muh GPL
>muh Alpha, ARC, ARM, AVR32, Blackfin, C6x, ETRAX CRIS, FR-V, H8/300, Hexagon, Itanium, M32R, m68k, META, Microblaze, MIPS, MN103, Nios II, OpenRISC, PA-RISC, PowerPC, s390, S+core, SuperH, SPARC, TILE64, Unicore32, Xtensa
>muh gnome
>muh kde
>muh AT&T's Bell Laboratories
>>
>>62078816
OP doesn't mention desktop anywhere.
An hero, Rajesh.
>>
>>62076249
>at no point in it's life has it even broken the 4% market share barrier.

>>62078851
>OP doesn't mention desktop anywhere.

you tried.
>>
>>62076363
/g/2017
>>
>>62077356
ayy nigger
>>
Stackoverflow survey, largest survey of professional developers

https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2017#technology-most-loved-dreaded-and-wanted-platforms

Linux desktop, most loved platform
>>
>>62076249
hey 4% is already something
>>
>>62077356
go be a nigger somewhere else, nigger
>>
>>62078816

Desperately cringing to desktop marketshare, because Linux owns every other area, meanwhile Linux desktop share is growing at an increasing speed and will pass OSX, the desktop OS which was poised to be Windows challenger.

Just how nervous are you ? Particularly when the desktop market keeps shrinking and will eventually consist primarily of professionals and computer enthusiasts, the other 99% will use mobiles/consoles.
>>
>>62079085
>meanwhile Linux desktop share is growing at an increasing speed
not really

>Particularly when the desktop market keeps shrinking
shitty excuse for linux failing.
>>
>>62079177

>not really

Yes, really, for the vast majority of those 25 years it has been below 1%, now it's ~4%

>shitty excuse for linux failing.

Linux is owning every market that is GROWING, only market Windows own is one that is SHRINKING, and even here Linux is growing, but according to you Linux is failing, LOL.

Windows has nothing beyond the desktop, which is why they are suddenly 'loving Linux' and even implement Linux subsystems so that they can run proper BASH in a desperate attempt to remain viable for developers who are jumping ship at a massive pace.
>>
File: linucks.jpg (78KB, 1039x229px) Image search: [Google]
linucks.jpg
78KB, 1039x229px
>>62079275
>and even here Linux is growing
>>62079085
>meanwhile Linux desktop share is growing at an increasing speed

you have a really weird understanding of "increasing speed" and "growing" and percentages.
>>
>>62077982
>because there should be a standard of quality of some sort, actual competent people contributing to important projects don't stop and shit out different versions of the same thing because DUDE IT'S FUN LMAO.
That's pretty much my point, dude. The people shitting out distros are hobbyists who are doing it for fun. If they weren't making their own distros, they probably wouldn't be spending that time contributing to "important" projects.
>>
>>62078437
It's better than windows if you're not using a hobbyist distro.
>>
>>62079449
Almost 50% increase in 2 years is pretty good.
>>
>>62079449
It is time to cut support for you and call the experiment a failure.
>>
>>62076363
bait?
>>
File: 1502392552615.jpg (3KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
1502392552615.jpg
3KB, 64x64px
Why is it that everytime some clueless faggots starts complaining about muh leenox he brings up shit like "muh brand recognition".
Like who gives a shit save for drooling normalfags who will happily pay extraorbitant sums of money just to display a massive logo of a multinational corporation on their t-shirt?
What the fuck am I supposed to be? A walking free ad space?
>>
>>62079521
>>62079587

also edgy tryhard linux users tend to shit on social media and facebook 'normies' and stuff but you should really be thanking them and sucking their dicks because without social media and webdev coding memes you would be stuck at 0.9% forever.
>>
>>62079609
Not everyone sucks dicks as a thank you. Don't project your personal habits on everyone.
>>
>>62079642
>>62079552
edgy tryhards, QED
>>
>>62077559
>use (((webapp))) unironically
>calling it (((webapp)))
Consider suicide
>>
>>62076253
which plug? It's free software, it exists because people want it to exist. There is no single company owning or producing linux at some sort of cost, there are only people and companys using linux or donating to foundations who develop or distribute linux. There is no plug to pull.
>>
>>62076327
[Citation Needed]
>>
ITT people unironically bumping shit threads like this and post the same bs over and over again.
>>
>>62076794
Just spell out "cunt," no one will narc to your Mormon bishop, senpai.
>>
>168
really good bait
>>
What the fuck? Linux is open source for a reason. People working on it for people alike. It works for them, so they maintain it. It doesn't need to have a 90% market share in order to be useful/good.
Gosh all the retards here
>>
File: Mr._Kaplan.jpg (7KB, 250x243px) Image search: [Google]
Mr._Kaplan.jpg
7KB, 250x243px
>>62076282
Hello, Mr Kaplan
>>
File: 1458167495297.jpg (196KB, 728x380px) Image search: [Google]
1458167495297.jpg
196KB, 728x380px
>>62076249
Why are you mad OP, are you paid to shill Windows or something?
>>
File: programming-penguin.png (53KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
programming-penguin.png
53KB, 340x340px
>tfw linux took 1/3rd of apples marketshare

>tfw OP cant understand fractional economics

back to business school lad
>>
>>62076282
Trump knows he isn't a dictator or a king so he can't just make major decisions without congressional approval. Sadly, the republican party won't back him on things like the wall or repeal and replace obamacare.
>>
>>62076282
>doesnt know how our government works

more like randlett paul is preventing us
trump cant force senators hands you retard

its literally 1 person out of 52 who is preventing it

rand paul also lied about that he would vote it if he had the chance back in 2012
>>
>>62082667
But ben garrison told me that rand paul is trying to stop it.
https://grrrgraphics.com/the-obamacare-monster/
>>
>>62076363
Lmao
>>
>>62082726
He also went on hannity twice promising the voters he would.

He lied right to the viewers faces.
>>
>>62078533
I don't recall having to setup fusermount when I installed Arch. Probably got pulled as a dependency by something. But still, as a matter of fact after I installed the DE USB sticks worked out of the box.
>>
>>62082870
Then why is ben supporting him then, he fully admits he's still libertarian and supports rand paul despite having full faith in trump because of anti-establishment and small government promises.
>>
>>62076249
Watch the entire internet go down in front of you buddy. Any website, online service, or any server that even matters (save for a few proprietary unix and the odd windows server) runs on linux. All the normie tier shit we know you love, facebook, Google, Reddit, all dead because apparently Linux has less than 4% market share so we should cut support for it.

You're a fucking retard lmao.
>>
File: 0ba.jpg (32KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
0ba.jpg
32KB, 960x960px
>>62076253
It's 4% of desktop market share, what OP is leaving out is that the majority of computers are things like servers, and they typically are running Linux.
What OP is also leaving out is that desktop Linux is on a slow rise, and could also be described as having broken the 3% market share barrier, 2% market share barrier, etc.
>>
File: 1498694305138.jpg (10KB, 265x222px) Image search: [Google]
1498694305138.jpg
10KB, 265x222px
>its another one of those "OP is a faggot winshill who doesn't actually know anything" episodes
>>
>>62076594
Linux is already the best OS for mining.
>>
>unix isnt relevant

hilarious.
>>
>>62077237
If you actually get a game to 'run' on linux it can outperform the Windows versions.
>>
>>62076249
Android uses the Linux kernel and it is responsible for about 1/3rd of all web traffic.

Nice try Pajeet.
>>
>>62083035
>servers
>>62083023
>Watch the entire internet go down in front of you buddy.

see

>>62078816
>>
>>62076282
He wants to remove it without a replacement, and he will.
>>
File: 5jnu3fsg74jy.jpg (387KB, 1200x876px) Image search: [Google]
5jnu3fsg74jy.jpg
387KB, 1200x876px
>>62077092
>>62077799
>>62082635
>>62082667
>/pol/tards getting baited this easily

>>62083001
Because he's genuinely retarded and doesn't know what ideological consistency is.

Anyone that looked at ben's comics and thought "hmm, yep, this sure is a smart man with a lot to say! The levels of subtlety in his work is off the fucking chart!" should be ashamed of being this easily baited into brainlet populist libertarian ideology.
>>
lol shut up with your fake desktop market share stats, op
nobody cares
linux dominates the server os market
>>
>>62076249
Somebody doesn't get the point of gnu/linux existing in the first place.

>>>/out/
>>
>>62084353
SHUT THE FUCK UP FAGGOT LITERALLY NO ONE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT SERVER MARKET SHARE YOU FUCKING CLOWN IT'S LIKE ARGUING THAT WINDOWS DOMINATING THE ATM MACHINE SPACE IS SIGNIFICANT SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH ABOUT YOUR IRRELIVANT MARKETS
>>
>>62084418
>irrelevant market
>responsible for your life
what a maroon
>>
>>62084418
gaymer confirmed
>>
>>62084418
top kek
what a pleb
>>
>>62076749
Fucking thank you! Nobody should have to be dehumanized here. Thankfully we know Google and others are going to help sweep bigots off the Internet for good.
>>
>>62084418
>nobody cares about servers
>nobody cares about tablets
>nobody cares about phones
yet
>people are hardly buying laptops and desktops any more
PAJEET BTFO
>>
File: winshit in a nutshell.png (2MB, 807x6544px) Image search: [Google]
winshit in a nutshell.png
2MB, 807x6544px
>>62076249
But it's actually better than Winturd now and it doesn't spy on you.
>>
>>62077356
nigger nigger nigger nigger, i'm 200% nigger
>>
>>62084418
#TRIGGERED
>>
>>62076956
OP did not mention desktop linux you illiterate mongoloid. Stop skirting around the truth that linux has its place in computing and that isn't as a desktop OS for the average consumer.
>>
So it's been 25 years since you born and became a big faggot, at no point in your's life has even fucked or even kissed.

Is it time to cut your penis and call it a failure?
>>
>>62084341
How can anyone be against nuclear power?
>>
>>62076282
>current year
>sweetieposting
>>
I seriously think all this anti-Linux posting isn't just Redmond shills, it's the deep state and they're pissed because Linux is harder to penetrate than Windows, and it's harder to sneak in exploits too.

They're so ass mad, it's funny.
>>
File: ok.png (8KB, 623x128px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
8KB, 623x128px
>>62076363
ok
>>
>>62077182
What's the problem with Netflix on Linux?
And gayming is fine if you're not into recent AAA games.
>>
>>62076327
>>62076298
Reminder that not everything that uses Linux uses GNU.
Android, for example, doesn't have any GNU libraries or functions. Yet it is the world's most popular mobile OS
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.