[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Speed test thread?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 10

File: 6567463690.png (32KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
6567463690.png
32KB, 300x135px
Speed test thread?
>>
File: Speedtestthing.png (79KB, 688x112px) Image search: [Google]
Speedtestthing.png
79KB, 688x112px
Costs $40/month. Verizon FIOS. Optimum recently upped their plans and are offering 300/100 for the same price and unlike Verizon, they let me use my own router. Stuck in a contract though. Thanks dad. I pay for many things in this house (including Internet) and he doesn't even consult me before switching over from Optimum in the 1st place.

"my house my rules" yea fuck you. See how much your rules mean and just how much money you have to hemorrhage to pay your bills every month when I move out.
>>
File: Capture.png (9KB, 446x101px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
9KB, 446x101px
>>62072782
>tfw no longer a poorfag
>>
beep beep

>>62072844
FiOS lets you use your own router, I have mine on a pfsense box. You just have to use a MoCA brdige to get your VoD and guide info for your TV set top boxes.
The G1100 has a MoCA bridge built in which is why it's recommended you use their router, you don't HAVE to use their router though.

Also FiOS has $69.99 for 1gbps now, not much to compare to that from any ISP.
>>
>>62072908
my problem is that their router needs to be in place to get channel guide for my father's TV. I was able to set up my own WRT-1200AC no problem, but I can't stop the broadcast on the Verizon router. So my house will have 4 signals, and trying to combine the 2 in some sort of giant single WiFi signal AP never worked.

And I don't even need gigabit as nice as that'd be. I make backups of all my downloads and large files, so rarely have to re-download anything. I'd rather Optimum just to get away from Verizon overall.
>>
>>62072945
Like I said, you can use your own router and buy a separate MoCA bridge that will allow your set top boxes to get guide info and other internet features.

The only reason you "need" the verizon router is because it has a MoCA bridge built into it to start with. But it's not actually needed for anything besides providing a MoCA signal for the set top boxes, which can be provided using a standalone MoCA bridge.
>>
>>62072986
so I grabbed a MoCA bridge, hooked it to the WAN port on my WRT router, and hooked the modem to router via the coaxial to MoCA, I can take their router out of the mix entirely? Like completely unplugged and/or smashed with a sledge hammer?

I hate that thing. Had to get a WiFi repeater just to match 50% of the coverage my old router had
>>
File: VPNspeed.jpg (3KB, 433x114px) Image search: [Google]
VPNspeed.jpg
3KB, 433x114px
with dedicated VPN
>>
File: noVPNspeed.jpg (3KB, 446x113px) Image search: [Google]
noVPNspeed.jpg
3KB, 446x113px
>>62073042
without VPN
>>
>>62073016

Are you sitll on an old verizon MoCA installation?

You'd need to move to an ethernet install (which is the standard installation for all verizon FiOS installs these days)

Ethernet from the ONT to the WAN port of your router, then Ethernet from the router to the MoCA bridge, and then Coax into the wall (or set top box directly, depending how your house is set up).

MoCA WAN is a shitty setup to have these days, you really want to switch that to Ethernet if possible, it should shave a few milliseconds off your ping as well.
>>
>>62073042
>>62073051
shit, my screens got real fucked.
>>
>>62073056
yea I'm still on the original Verizon install. From outside
>ONT to Modem via coaxial
>Modem to router via coaxial
>Router to switch via CAT5e

And yea I figured having a MoCA setup is garbage because every single MoCA adapter or bridge I see online is $90+ for a new one. Only refurbs are less than $50. Only old niche shit is usually like that.

So my only option would be to have Verizon switch my ONT to Ethernet. (Thus also requiring a new Modem)
>>
>>62073144
Whoops meant
>ONT to modem

via what I haven't checked. The install guy made some abortion rat's nest when he put everything and I couldn't be bothered to do anything by get my router out of there before it's lost to the nether.

But yea, old Verizon install.
>>
File: speedtest.png (9KB, 547x122px) Image search: [Google]
speedtest.png
9KB, 547x122px
>>62072908
How tf do you get the full gigabit to your pc? Even when I plugged mine directly into the verizon router I get 350 max on speedtest.net, it says I'm getting the full gigabit on verizon's speedtest of course.
>>
File: 2017-08-23 14.09.53.png (139KB, 1438x737px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-23 14.09.53.png
139KB, 1438x737px
>>62073144
MoCA 1.0 and unbonded MoCA 2.0 are meh.

But Bonded MoCA 2.0 is actually decent, i've seen it hit 920mbps throughput.

>>62073278
How old and shitty is the computer you're using? Even over wifi my phone can get better than that

Im using 3 runs of CAT5e from my basement to my office upstairs, about 70 feet worth of CAT5e going through 2 different 1gbps unmanaged switches. It's not hard to hit 1gbps with ethernet assuming nothing is broken or ancient.
>>
>>62073317
Don't assume I'm a poorfag the motherboard is like 3 years old and has a gigabit ethernet port which is why I don't get why I'm not hitting a gigabit. The "tech" at verizon told me it was only guaranteed a gigabit to the router then it's shared between the devices connected to it. Is your PC the only thing connected to it or something?
>>
File: 1gbpschromeextension.webm (1MB, 332x418px) Image search: [Google]
1gbpschromeextension.webm
1MB, 332x418px
>>62073370
Nope, 4 desktops are wired, as well as a PS4.

Besides that 5 smartphones, and 2 or 3 laptops.

I can hit 900mbps on all the desktops that are wired. (not at the same time though obviously)
>>
File: vspeedtest.png (36KB, 741x563px) Image search: [Google]
vspeedtest.png
36KB, 741x563px
>>62073392
Did you get the same results using the verizon router, if you ever used one?
>>
>>62073370
sounds to me like something somewhere in your network is slowing you down. You have a laptop with an Ethernet port? Plug directly from the modem/router to the laptop and run the speed test. 1 by 1 add devices to the network again to see what is holding you down.
>>
>>62073406
yup, G1100 works just fine for wired devices.

If you're using an older actiontec Rev I. it doesn't support WAN-LAN throughput beyond ~700-800mbps, but even that's more than what you're seeing.
>>
>>62073435
Tried that and no device wired directly into the router gets more than 400mb

>>62073437
It was just installed early this summer so I would assume it's the newest one they have.
>>
>>62073461
Bypass the router, go directly to the ONT.
>>
>>62073482
Will try that tomorrow

On a side note is there any possible way to reset the login password for a verizon router? Apparently it was written on the box which got thrown away before I moved in
>>
>>62073527
It should be on a sticker on the side of the actual unit.

Along with the SSID and WPA2 passkey.
>>
>>62073545
I mean someone changed it from that to a different one and wrote it on the box and nowhere else like a dipshit
>>
>>62073562
There should be a reset button on the back of the unit, it might require something small like a needle or ballpoint pen in order to push, but it should be there.

Press it and it should set everything back to factory default which would be whats on the sticker.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.