[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a new distro to hop into. I have been considering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: fedora_infinity_140x140.png (6KB, 140x140px) Image search: [Google]
fedora_infinity_140x140.png
6KB, 140x140px
Looking for a new distro to hop into. I have been considering Fedora, I even tried out the LiveCD and ended up liking it.
I have a low end laptop so my current distro is Xubuntu, it is good, but I want to try another distro. So my concerns are:
>is Fedora lightweight? (assuming I will probably install i3)
>is it botnet? (I have heard some of you repeating this)
>>
Been using Fedora since version 24. It is lightweight as long as you don't use Gnome or KDE Plasma. I don't know about the le botnet meme; maybe it's only that?

I use the i3 WM and it's good for what (little) I do. Some dialog boxes might be screwy.
>>
Arch
>>
>>62072731
fedora users contribute the most to the linux kernel of any other distro.

I've never seriously used it, but it's a great distribution. They don't ship nonfree software and/or software covered by patents, so you need to use third party repositories to do things like decode/encode h264, etc. Not the end of the world, rpmfusion is excellent and reliable.

If I decided that I seriously wanted to make an effort to get involved in the linux kernel, I'd definitely run rawhide.
>>
>>62072731
> is fedora lightweight?
if you use the right window manager, yes

> is it botnet?
i have no idea what you're talking about, probably not
>>
>>62073064
> fedora users contribute the most to the linux kernel of any other distro
that's because they all work for redhat
>>
>>62072731
Yeah, just use a light weight desktop environment/ window manger and display manager.
>>
>>62072731
I just recently jumped on fedora from wangblows and I fucking love it. Was not aware Linux had gotten this comfy.

Yeah you need to install shit to decode h264 but it takes like 2 mins to install VLC and you are good to go.

Not sure if it's botnet. As far as I am aware fedora is sponsored by RedHat and I haven't seen reason to hate them yet.
>>
Same boat, professor is asking us to have fedora on our machine. I might install it with the Xfce flavor
>>
>>62073081
The idea that the only kernel developers running Fedora are from Redhat is simply not true. I'm all but certain that Linus Torvalds runs fedora, and he is obviously not employed by redhat. I'm pretty sure all the 01.org (intel) developers run Fedora, from nvme to graphics. I'm pretty sure most of the AMD open-source graphics people folks run fedora. All the freedesktop.org people use fedora. All gnome development takes place by people running-- you guessed it, Fedora. I'm pretty sure gregkh runs either Fedora or Arch on his laptops.

Don't get me wrong, most of these developers also use distributions like debian and gentoo and arch linux and coreos and so on for various things. These people develop the kernel, naturally they are experienced with a lot of unique distributions. But by-and-large, for their workstation, more people than not just run Fedora.

I'm out here shilling for Fedora and I don't even use it. I'm kind of convincing myself that I should be, though.
>>
>>62072731
nah its like debian but gayer
>>
>>62073375
It's almost nothing like debian.
>>
What advantages do Fedora and Ubuntu have over each other?
>>
>>62073593
.deb packages are more common.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.