[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys do with your old hard drives? An 8 year old

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: not my collection.jpg (33KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
not my collection.jpg
33KB, 600x450px
What do you guys do with your old hard drives?

An 8 year old 320 GB HDD does seem like it has much use to me and who would even buy it? Throwing it away seems like a waste too.
>>
I use them until I hear the click. I don't leave uneaten food on my plate either.
>>
If I had a reason to make a NAS I would use them, but as it stands I just take them apart to harvest the magnet and bust the platters.
>>
Cold storage. Load 320 GB of compressed whatever you need archived onto it and leave it in a closet.
>>
>>62056370
Do hard drives go bad? If I had like 10 btc
>>
>>62057552
They can, but if stored in a cool dry closet or basement they can last longer than you will
>>
>>62056317
good lad
>>
>>62056302
Harddrive Domino, obviously!!!!

Haven't you seen the monthly /hdg/ Harddrive Domino General threads?
>>
>>62056302
Recycle at best buy
>>
>>62056317
What does the click sound like?
>>
>>62059000
I feel like that is retail slang for "give us something to put in the computers we are supose to repair"
>>
>>62059009
>the click sound

You don't know the click sound of death?

Well, GOOD FOR YOU.

I'll give a go at explaining it. Your computer probably makes some noise from the fans. And I'm guessing you do hear some kind of noise when the harddrive works hard like when you're copying files. This is all normal and as it should be.

Now, imagine you are sitting there by your computer or just in the same room as one and then you hear this loud CLICK CLICK from the computer cabinet. Then it's all good but half an hour later you hear CLICK CLICK CLICK and it's a brand new sound that your computer didn't normally make before.

You may wonder what makes it click and take a look and everything seems fine, dandy and as it should be. But it's not. It's the Click Of Death. Your harddrive is about to commit suicide. It's on suicide-watch. It's going to die.

I suspect there's recordings of it that you could listen to. Perhaps you will be unlucky and hear it yourself some day. If you're using older harddrives or just spinning harddrives in general then it's only a matter of time. Days or years, who knows. But it'll come. And it will get you. And you will learn that if you're not using RAID1 for your OS and RAID6 or RAID5 for storage then you're going to get screwed.

Everyone who's been using computers for many years or been a sysadmin or similar knows the click. One day you will too.
>>
File: hjh.jpg (38KB, 503x327px) Image search: [Google]
hjh.jpg
38KB, 503x327px
>>62059292
badass
>>
>>62056302
keep them in a drawer for years until they become completely obsolete then still keep them because fuck it
>>
>>62056302
I wish hard drive companies would buy them back. even for $2. I think they should be able to reuse a lot of the materials. I can see the parts being segregated by materials (neodymium magnets, casing, ceramic or glass platters) and melted for remanufacture.
>>
>>62059292
SSDs die silently
>>
>>62059566
That would be good. But most hard drives would not end up in the hands of someone who cares enough to do that.
>>
>>62059566
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS9z27x_3Mw

There are those who make a living buying failed harddrives which they disassemble and sell for parts by the pund. I guess you could do it with just one HDD too but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
>>
I always take the magnets out of them. Magnets are pretty cool.
>>
My favorite old drive is a 10,005 Mbytes Segate.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.