[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im in need of a good wifi solution, I have a 3,000 sq ft home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: download (1).jpg (4KB, 283x178px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
4KB, 283x178px
Im in need of a good wifi solution, I have a 3,000 sq ft home and the router is on 1 side of the house and my bedroom is on the other.

Should I get a mesh wifi, or just a router that has maybe a little bit more powerful antenna than the one I currently have. If so what suggestions do you guys have?
>>
>>62056271
just get literally any other router with wifi and bridge them then put one on Channel 1 or 2 and the other on like channel 10 or 11
>>
>>62056271

Get another wifi access point silly, your house isn't a circle I take it so you need to shape your signal.
>>
A single router centrally located would probably be enough.

Mesh systems are too expensive, i'm waiting for the 802.11 protocol to mandate mesh functionality in the next few years and make it part of the standard so you're not restricted to using a single manufacturers access points or routers.
>>
>>62056271
Get a decent AP (pick one that scored well on smallnetbuilder or wherever you look for your benchmarks).

If that doesn't suffice, I'll suggest using a xiaomi repeater stick 2 or a full xiaomi wifi 3 or 3g as repeater.
>>
>>62056304
> Mesh systems are too expensive
2 transmit 2 receive routers are already pretty cheap. Use open sauce firmware and you basically have a mesh, no?
>>
>>62056351
what open source firmware actually does mesh networking well? I've yet to see any.
>>
>>62056279

Never looked into bridging, but will that make it so I have to switch from 1 network to another as I move about the house?
>>
>>62056304

And Cox fucked me by only having 1 active coaxial cable that is not remotely centralized.
>>
>>62056398
The client device would be responsible for selecting the best network. Which means you'll have situations where your phone is simply connected to the wrong network because it's trying to save battery by not constantly spamming the wifi radio to look for better networks.

A proper mesh system will be monitoring your device itself and direct your device to the correct access point as appropriate in a much faster manner than your device would do on it's own.
>>
>>62056378
OpenWRT has at least three methods (libremesh, 802.11s, OLSR mesh), DD-WRT also had OLSR plus proprietary stuff like WDS.

Many have repeater / repeter bridge stuff as well, which may be not a proper scaleable mesh with automatic failover and stuff, but should cover a typical private property.

What does it "well"? Dunno. Not WDS or Cisco proprietary shit.

Maybe libremesh or the other ones if you know how to configure them..
>>
>>62056447
Awesome thanks for that, do you think the best bet would be buying a mesh network, or going through and buying a good single router or bridging.

It seems like I'm coming out to be like 250-300 bucks no matter what
>>
>>62056477
> It seems like I'm coming out to be like 250-300 bucks no matter what
If you follow my suggestion of a good router plus xiaomi repeater that's like $100-150 for the good router and $8 per repeater stick / $30 for the Xiaomi AP as repeater.

And it's not really impossible to use a Xiaomi or Tenda or another OpenWRT ( / OpenWRT fork) router as the first one either. This might already work on $60 or so, frankly.
>>
>>62056543
I will probably end up going that route then! I appreciate it.
>>
Jesus fuck, all this bothering with wireless.

I swear to god if I'm ever rich enough to have a house built I'm having them wire a half-dozen ethernet ports into every single room. Including the bathrooms.
>>
>>62056647
My house has ethernet cords in every room just not working for some goddamn reason.
>>
r7800 or wrt3200acm
or both
>>
>>62056647
Yeah, because as we already know phones and tablets got Ethernet ports.
>>
>>62056647
>hardwired

what is this, 2004? unless you're some dinosaur who still sits at a desk for hours playing some MMO, i don't see why anyone would prefer hardwired.
>>
>>62056666
there should be a central punch down block where all the ethernet runs terminate, get a line tester you dumbass.
>>
>>62056543
Won't that extender make it so I have to manually switch between the networks in my house?
>>
>>62056757
it's required for some of us to get our full throughput

You just wont get these speeds over wifi.
>>
>>62056757
Faster, easier to set up, easier to manage, far more reliable. Especially when you have a house full of devices all yammering on wireless, with a house on either side full of devices also yammering on wireless. The place for wireless is "things that are unable to use anything else", anything with an ethernet port on it should be using it.
>>
>>62056804
>sit down on the couch
>want to use the internet

"oops, gotta plug myself in!"
>easier just NOT having to do that
>>
>>62056764
Even the cheap stick can be made to use the same or a different essid with the botnet phone app, whichever is preferable.

Most devices can -with one or the other setup- automatically re-connect to the better signal. Certainly all typical computers. (I've seen printers and such that were too dumb, b- but fortunately they mostly don't move).
>>
>>62056849
...he literally said devices that can't be plugged in (your phone, a tablet, etc) should use Wifi, but something like a desktop in a fixed position, or internet streaming device for your TV, or gaming system, etc should be hard wired.

Latency is lower, throughput is much higher.
>>
>>62056856
That's the thing though, you're still leaving it up to the client device to do it for itself.

True mesh network protocols exist that use link signal quality, distance from the access point, and actual throughput to the device into account when deciding which access point to connect to at any given time, and if you move to another room, the mesh network should know this and tell your client device to switch to the proper access point.

The network should be the active component when deciding what access point to connect, not a client device. Client devices are not constantly spamming the wifi radio checking wifi status, that takes up too much power for a mobile device like a phone. A hardwired access point however doesn't need to concern itself with battery life and SHOULD be constantly monitoring the network to make sure devices are connecting properly.
>>
>>62056410
>Cox fucked me by only having 1 active coaxial cable that is not remotely centralized.
its your house. coax it the way you want. if you aren't handy, any local handy man's apprentice can do it for you .
>>
File: iThernet.jpg (170KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
iThernet.jpg
170KB, 1600x900px
>>62056738
>not having Ethernet on your iPhone
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.