[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Natural or Reverse scrolling?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Natural Scrolling.gif (437KB, 267x353px) Image search: [Google]
Natural Scrolling.gif
437KB, 267x353px
Which way of scrolling do you prefer /g/?
After using phone for so damn long, I've switched few months ago to natural scrolling. Everything makes sense to me now. What do you use?
>>
>>62051767
>Everything makes sense to me now
even seek bars?

>What do you use?
Natural on touchpad and reverse on the mouse
>>
File: ?.png (249KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
249KB, 512x512px
>>62051767
mouse wheel
>>
Fingers go down. Page goes down.
The picture scrolling is for touch devices.
>>
Fingers go down, scrollbar goes down. That's how it should work on trackpads. The reverse is fine if on a tablet or phone.
>>
>>62051767
Using this superior scroll device.
>>
i cant stand that flicking crap on phones, i always set to reverse if i can, the scrollbar is what indicates where you are on the page anyways, that should be what you manipulate, it's far less physical effort anyways
>>
I hate gestures and I have them disabled. Why laptops these days feel the need to have the trackpad be one big clumsy piece of useless shit button I'll never know. Mouse wheel scrolling is the correct choice.
>>
>>62051862
>even seek bars?
I have made all scroll bars "auto-hide" so I don't see them. Also, making scroll wheel follow scroll bar movement and not content is stupid.
>>
>>62052105
>Mouse wheel scrolling is the correct choice
Carrying a mouse to use it with a laptop? LMAO!
Get a decent laptop, Mr. Pajeet.
>>
>>62052067
This is nice if you need a clit workout.
>>
My own preference is reverse because I mostly scroll down and moving fingers down is a simpler motion to perform. Overall, I don't care much. Give me 5 seconds and I'll adapt.
>>
>>62051767
on a laptop/desktop, you're not touching the UI. down is down, up is up, this is how its been forever.

if you're using a tablet or phone, you're physically touching the UI. for that, 'natural' scrolling makes more sense.
>>
>>62053804
>mostly scroll down and moving fingers down is a simpler motion to perform
bullshit. it's easier to move the wheel up that down. extensions is always easier.
>>
>>62051767
'Natural' scrolling only feels natural if you're doing it on a screen. It's not natural at all on a trackpad.
>>
>>62054121
>'Natural' scrolling only feels natural if you're doing it on a screen. It's not natural at all on a trackpad.
But it is. Even if you use physical volume sliders on a control surface, for example, it behaves the same way.
>>
>>62051862
I wish there was a split setting, when I use my mouse on mbp I have to either change the setting for the time I use the mouse or use the mouse reverse and always scroll the wrong way first time
>>
>>62054595
That's because you're actually pulling something (the physical volume sliders) down.
Natural scrolling on a screen feels natural because it looks like you're pulling the webpage on the screen down.

On a trackpad you aren't pulling anything so it's not natural at all.
>>
>>62054692
Why would you torture yourself by having the exact opposite results on different devices instead of unified logic everywhere? I switch everything to natural scrolling because I don't masturbate to pain.
>>
>>62051767
Natural on my Macbook.
Normal on PCs, because using the mouse wheel on natural is weird and all other notebooks i've ever placed my hands on have shit trackpads and shit motion when scrolling.
>>
>>62054728
>I switch everything to natural scrolling because I don't masturbate to pain.
But natural scrolling IS like masturbating to pain.
>>
I don't have a smartphone or tablet or any other touchscreen device, so for me the "natural" scrolling just seems unnatural. I got used to the other way of doing it before the "natural" option even existed, and I don't see any reason to change it.
>>
I use the default which works the same way as my phone. I can understand why some might be more comfortable with the feeling of "pulling the scrollbar" rather than "pulling the page."
>>
>>62052324
I asked seek bar you faggot. Like the one that shows where you are in a video file for example. Natural scroll is shit for that. It's also shit for volume bars.
>>
>>62054852
que?
>>
>>62051767
i didnt understand anything of that. usually i scroll with space or by keeping 2 fingers on the touchpad and dragging down
>>
>>62056866
That's the difference between the two types of scrolling. One is meant to mimic pulling the page. The other is meant to mimic pulling the scrollbar. That's why they have opposite effects for a given direction of scrolling.

>>62056897
And that's the opposite of a phone, where dragging your finger down will scroll you closer to the top of a page. When you use your fingers on the touchpad, dragging down brings you toward the bottom of the page.
>>
>>62051767
Natural if the scrolling device reacts with the motion (i.e. touchscreen), because that way it "feels" like I'm working with a real, physical object.
Reverse if the scrolling device does not react with the motion (i.e. mouse or touchpad), because the only positional feedback I receive is, if any, the scrollbar, and that is similar in logical shape to the mouse wheel.
>>
i've used natural scrolling since they put it on os x lion or whenever it was
>>
>>62057377
Did you like it? How long does it take to convert?

I'll probably convert this weekend...
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.