[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/vrg/ - Virtual Reality General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: 1499680790921.jpg (292KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1499680790921.jpg
292KB, 2048x1152px
No worries, the thread's back. All text is a WIP.

>Setup guides, tips, resources
https://pastebin.com/3D60jpFb

>Recommended games and applications (includes NSFW)
https://pastebin.com/KgBr4kCh

>Last thread
>>62017466
>>
>>62050923
When do you think the next generation of headsets is coming?
>>
File: 1502558606500.gif (2MB, 270x188px) Image search: [Google]
1502558606500.gif
2MB, 270x188px
>>62050923
I prefer the Vive. Only 600 now, so if you can afford the extra 200 dollarydoos, I'd get that over the Rift. Having tried both, I can say it's definitely better from my experience.
>>
>>62051101
Late 2018-early 2019 probably, based on what Oculus and HTC have said.
>>
File: 1496806838411.jpg (75KB, 664x675px) Image search: [Google]
1496806838411.jpg
75KB, 664x675px
>>62051101
Late 2018 or early 2019. Wireless is expected early 2018, followed by 3~4k @120hz screens in the summer along with the new eye-tracking systems which allow foveated rendering techniques to reduce hardware constraints and eliminate jitter completely.

But if you're worried about aftermarket sales on the current gen because you want to wait for the next one, I wouldn't worry about that actually. The current gen Vive and Oculus should continue to resell for about half their original value and many vendors will buy your unit upfront so you dont even have to pay ebay fees or go through craigslist. So if you want to buy in now and just upgrade later you could pretty easily. Or just wait another year.
>>
>>62051111
I prefer the Rift. I own both and can say it's definitely a very equal experience with the difficulty of setup being the only significant factor to consider if you're just an average consumer who doesn't have very specific needs like very large room tracking.

If you've got money to waste, even if it's $200, it's smarter to wait for an announcement from LG about their SteamVR headset. They will probably release early 2018. Price unknown but if you're waiting a few months that should be some good time to scrape up enough dosh IF it costs something like $800.
>>
File: 1503426969705.png (616KB, 1363x830px) Image search: [Google]
1503426969705.png
616KB, 1363x830px
This thread again
>>
>>62051178
>many vendors will buy your unit upfront

Who are these you speak of?
>>
>>62051101
Not for a while. Two main reasons; one to not piss off people who already invested in their kit, and secondly because they invested a lot in making their first gen and so it's actually good already.
>>
>>62051197
I found the oculus very fatiguing to wear for extended periods as I wear glasses and it was very uncomfortable. The Vive on the other hand was very secure and didn't clamp down on my frames so it didn't bother me as much. Also the Vive screens looked better to me than the Rift with a slightly higher field of view.
>>
>>62051228
Try contacting the certified refurbished sellers on amazon or ebay. That's what I did when I wanted to sell my oculus and they gave me a quote and even paid for my shipping costs to send them the unit.
>>
>>62051235
The Vive is better with glasses frames but I found it pretty uncomfortable still either way. I just ended up going without glasses while using either headset and it seemed to be fine for me. The Rift screen looks better to me though, the SDE is reduced and it feels higher resolution because the FOV is packed in slightly more than the Vive which has slightly higher FOV but at the cost of stretching out the pixels slightly.
>>
>>62051297
I will say I think the rift touch controllers are slightly better than the vive wands. I'm pretty hype for the new knuckles controller coming out next year to replace these clunky things.
>>
File: 1402082160789.jpg (14KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1402082160789.jpg
14KB, 320x213px
>>62051265
Huh, didn't know you could do that. Thanks for the tip anon.
>>
File: Step6-wear-oculus-touch.jpg (261KB, 1500x843px) Image search: [Google]
Step6-wear-oculus-touch.jpg
261KB, 1500x843px
>>62051315
The Vive controllers aren't too bad, the main problem is their ergonomics. Some people had trackpad problems but I've never had them and I've had my Vive for a year. Knuckles is pretty cool, I actually tried doing a mod for my Touch controllers with a strap and now I can actually let go of it and you can really get a sense for how good Knuckles will be from that.
>>
File: 1405107274975.gif (1018KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
1405107274975.gif
1018KB, 499x374px
I don't get the mentality of people trying to warn off anyone from buying into VR now with the price drops. It's like telling people not to buy an Atari because if you wait a few years Nintendo is coming out. It's just the nature of every new technology that it goes obsolete rapidly, but whatever man. Years from now when it's just a chip in your brain or some shit you'll look back on these times with nostalgia just like the old hats that were born in the 80s and reminisce about arcades and LAN cafes.
>>
>>62051101
Not long enough for current purchasers to worry. I'm happy enough with my rift that I have no regrets. If you are *still* on the fence, I recommend getting the Vive, since it just dropped in price by $200
>>
>>62051459
Because there's not much content available right now, they don't want people going in expecting tons of real, full game experiences and being disappointed.
>>
>>62051200
Yes, people like VR games and apps.
>>
>>62051229
>first gen
>it's actually good already.
lol no
>like a brick
>wired
>shit res
>no eye tracking
gen2 is gonna shit on gen1 so bad
>>
>>62052712
While you don't have too many actual full VR games yet, I feel like the true benefits from the headsets are in games that added VR support after the fact. Have you tried the Alien Isolation VR mod? It's intense and really adds to the game. Same with Elite Dangerous.
>>
>>62052712
Actually next year there's going to be at least one MMORPG with VR support released by a big distributor. Google "VR mmorpg"
>>
>>62052745
It's almost as if taking a decent game and slapping VR on it is better than taking VR and making garbage games for it
>>
>>62052829
I see no issue with companies doing this. In fact, I really wish more of them would.
>>
>>62051399
what the fuck is that?
>>
>>62051399
What happened to your hand?
>>
>>62052829
More devs need to do this. The VR games while fun for a little while, are just tech demos. Essentially Kinect games. But adding VR to existing triple A games is great. The ones that have done it have only benefitted. I'd have never tried Elite if I didn't have a Vive. Adding VR support may incline me to try new things.
>>
There's a lot of games out right now you can play with VorpX that are pretty fun. I'm enjoying Elder Scrolls Online myself at the moment. Also, aiming in Overwatch simply by looking at my target feels like cheating when I'm playing someone like Soldier76 or McCree. I'm surprised Blizz doesn't ban people using VR because it's basically a hack.
>>
>>62053119
>Also, aiming in Overwatch simply by looking at my target feels like cheating when I'm playing someone like Soldier76 or McCree. I'm surprised Blizz doesn't ban people using VR because it's basically a hack.

Wait a second wouldn't a program like that trip their cheat detector? Never played Overwatch though so no idea what the cheat detector they have is like.
>>
>>62053222
I actually put in a support ticket asking if it was cheating but they said VorpX wasn't a violation of the EULA so it's fine. I've been running it for about 6 months now and haven't been banned. Yeah, I know. I was surprised as well.
>>
>>62053222
Actually, nevermind. Looks like they patched it out recently. I haven't played OW in a few weeks so this must've been recent: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758876045

Thread is like, 2 days old. Damn that sucks.
>>
>>62053297
Well, can't say it's surprising. It'd get even more problematic when we have eye tracking.
>>
>>62052829
Speaking of, Talos Principle w/ VR support sounds awesome
>>
>>62053297
You can still use the virtual big screen, right? Can't patch that out.

>>62053322
The rage from mousefags when their stupid shit gets obsoleted by eye tracking is going to be hilarious.
>>
>>62052652
The hardware is legit though.
If no one buys VR the market will collapse.
And there are some really good games for it right now.
There is just so much garbage games that you have to sift through to find the gems.
The best you can do is ask people in VRchat what games they think are fun and worth buying.
>>
Just wondering.
But do they have realistically modeled guns for games with guns yet?
Or do you still have to use the wants?
>>
>>62051111
good snek
>>
>>62052652
I think the main issue is that the best content is the most expensive. Good shit that's playable with headset/controllers is rare. The real gems are flight/racing sims. But then you'd need to find good wheels/stick sets to get the most of it.

I was lucky to basically steal a G27 with shifter and pedals in new condition for just 200$ used when the next cheapest used was 480$. And new was 750$
>>
The good games will be released on the PS4.

PC plebs won't be able to play it with VR support, see RE7.
>>
Any good youtube-channels that do vr game reviews?
>>
>>62050923
Should I buy now or wait for the LG or oculus/vive 1.5 or 2.0?
>>
Samsung Gear arrives at some point this week. Best apps/games/etc... for it?
>>
>>62054075
I suspect that
>Doom
>Fus Ro Dah
>Pipboy
Will drive a lot of hardware sales.
>>
>>62053095
>>62053046
I just got that picture from here https://uploadvr.com/oculus-touch-wearing-glove/
>>
>back nolo vr
>bundle pledge with 2016 gear vr
>get nolo system, gear shipped separate
>gear has been in my country for 2 weeks
all i want is my own vr system, but the /csg/ god has been kind with my small orders but seems to have royally fucked me with the one thing i need to actual be in vr. all i want to do is game with strangers and jerk off to pron
>>
>>62053910
Yeah you can, I just tried it. Looks okay too, framerate was above 90FPS and I could easily make out targets and stuff. Actually, the vive controllers work even better than a mouse in overwatch because of the laser pointers giving me pinpoint accuracy.
>>
>>62050923
Anybody having trouble with touch controllers, I can no longer raise my thumb on my left controller at all and it frequently releases things I gripping. Rift is about a month old now so this shouldn't be happening. Also it happens in oculus home and every game I play except robot recall where it works flawlessly. It's very jarring in games like super hot where I'm taking aim then suddenly my gun is just floating and I have to grab it again.
>>
>>62059397
Never had this problem before and it sounds very weird. You might want to contact Oculus support.
>>
>>62051399
SICK mod bruh sure it won't hurt the resale value?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TTnYWSfFbk
Can oculus even compete?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.