[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 35

File: 1502493515132.jpg (941KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
1502493515132.jpg
941KB, 2272x1704px
Previous thread: >>62032100

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
> Forces an ugly ass top bar that has zero function besides a clock and systemtray
> Completely removes systemtray support

How fucking retarded are the GNOME devs exactly? They remove all the usability yet make everything so fuckig HUGE there would be more than enough space for removed features.
>>
>>62047690
>complaisns gnome
>gnome is run by some retarded feminists
Use xfce dude. Get over gnome kde and the rest of the bloatware that breaks more often than it works.
If you are a hc gnome fun go for MATE.
If you want a more userfriendly DE get cinnamon.
Gnome and kde are broken.
>>
>>62047800
Wtf is wrong with me..
Excuse my awfull mistakes.
>>
>>62047800
I am not using GNOME. Their retarded decisions and other shit just trigger me. I have no respect for anyone getting cucked by the devs and still using it.

I'm actually using KDE (switched from Xfce) myself as it's quite stable now. Sure its bloated but I consider that a plus.
>>
File: 1494687661941.jpg (33KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494687661941.jpg
33KB, 480x480px
>>62047690
>complaining about free and gratis stuff you don't even use yourself
autism
>>62047800
>gnome is run by some retarded feminists
>Gnome and kde are broken.
>>>/b/
>>62047830
>being disrespectful about other peoples de choices
childish
>>
>>62047690
FPBP
GNOME has such a fucking retarded layout, people need to call it out, file bug reports, email the devs etc.

Why can't they at least add a few themes to the default install so that it doesn't look so shit?

I heard KDE was better on a technical level anyway.
>>
Whats a good alt to pacman? On Arch obviously. Heard people saying its crap now and other programs do it better
>>
>>62048589
>Heard people saying it's crap
You'll hear that about everything, you're on the internet.
>>
good thread
>>
>>62048637
good post
>>
>>62048701
good reply
>>
File: Flavour.png (18KB, 601x340px) Image search: [Google]
Flavour.png
18KB, 601x340px
Why do you fags even bother with any other DE?

http://www.hecticgeek.com/2016/11/ubuntu-16-10-flavors-comparison/
>>
>>62048742
Lubuntu too
>>
>>62048742
We aren't in the 70s anymore, but somehow in a time where beginners ask which lightweigh DE to choose that doesn't come with "bloat". People eat each others faces about memory usage like we're all running our DEs on a GameBoy and not even 10% really understand how Linux manages memory anyway. The truth is, any DE runs fine on any little toaster. All this memory usage/bloat/lightweight babble belongs to >>>/trash/.
>>
>>62048865
Do unity/ubuntu gnome shills do it for free?
>>
Whats with the S_baseX variable names in .Xresources? I can use whatever I want for a name
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-08-23_14-13-53.png (184KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-08-23_14-13-53.png
184KB, 1920x1080px
I just installed manjaro xfce is there any way to make it not look like shit?
>>
>>62048073
I've been using debian and linux since etch was testing, i've used anything from kde 3, gnome 2, lxde, xfce the last almost 12 years.
Oss, just because it's free it doesn't mean we cannot criticize it. Just because it is oss doesn't me it is good, just because you use it, doesn't mean I haven't... Or just because I prefer something, isn't because I haven't used anything else.
There is a reason why rhel,debian and other serious distros avoided kde and gnome quite a few times... Debian has decided 3 or 4 times iirc to remove kde from their default DE because it caused more problems than it solved.
Kde's dev has been steered by the various conpanies that bought trolltech in the last 10 years, the kde sc hasn't had a clear goal...ever, just tried to modernise everything, breaking libraries and programs over and over again.
Gnome falls in the same category. Gnome was backed by redhat for the obvious reason of being lightweight and because it worked. Gnome 3, plus a feminist who spent the foundations money on feminist things, forced ppl to fork gnome 2 and make the glorious MATE, which also got backed from redhat because it works and it doesn't break things.
Xfce otoh follows a slow upgrade path, a few years ago(5 actually) it was nothing more than a bit better than lxde but very lightweight. The version 4.12 made it much more of a modern de by introducing the great new features...e.g. Intelligent hidding which makes it perfect for laptop screens.
Xfce is not complete though, thunar is useless... I use xfce with nemo, cinnamon's file manager. Xfce's window manager got even better, i used to run xfce with kwin but since the 2015 and the switch of kde to a more wayland friendly library, kwin causes problems outside of kde's sandbox.
Going back to kde... What happened to reqonk? Dolphin appeared out of nowhere and what's the purpose of konqueror after that? Who thought that it was great to downgrade konqueror to just a semi-web browser along with rekonq... 1/2
>>
Can I use Linux if I'm not a Marxist?
>>
>>62049047
yes but not if you're a /pol/tard who fantasizes about getting fucked by big corporations
>>
can someone explain to me how to ssh into my laptop from my desktop like i'm a small retarded child
>>
>>62049030
2/2... Why the fuck did e.u. fund the monstrous nepomuk? Who the fuck in kde decided thst it is a good idea to bloat kde with a bot that indexed all types of things for no reason? Why my machine when idling would start to behave as if it has windows? Sure I can disable this, and the next thing, and the next one and in the end why don't i start writing my own kde from scratch? Who the fuck thought that kde should have an only option of getting integration with nm? Who decided that kde can disable my cpu's profile and let kde decide what speed(freq) I want? Why did they removed the option of choosing power options?
Do you want more than that? Guess what...it's easier to run xfce or a similar de and istead of avoiding bad features or disabling them, you write your own scripts to do the work you want.
I feel sorry that kde went from a clean full featured de to an overbloated system hoaging system trying to attract windows and macos hipsters with their shinny design.
>>
>>62049047
If you are a marxist you should uae something that doesn't work, e.g. windows or macos.
Linux works...so it's not compatible with communism.
>>
>>62049101
You have to have something like openssh_client on your target machine to enable ssh.
Then use ssh username@hostip
>>
>>62048865
Bloat is not synonimous to "can't run on a toaster".
Bloat is something that overengineering it makes it break and break and fixing it is impossible.
My latest (last year)experience with kde is the same as it was with the first previous of kde 4... Somehow something went wrong and everything started misrendering, artifacts on the backround, nm applet refused to work.
That's bloated.
Kde is bloated.

>watching memory usage on linux
You are not on windows, get over it.
Linux manages memory usage in order to offer the best performance, it's not like windows, this needs 30mb ram, gib 32mb ram.
>>
>>62049169
>Linux works...
Yes if you're lucky enough to have compatible hardware, otherwise: kernel panic.
>>
>>62048589

You're an idiot.
I could explain to you why, but it would be lost on you. So just trust me on this, you're a fucking retard and move on.
>>
>>62048742

>comparing different distributions
>comparing completely different setups

That benchmark is retarded, just like the idiots who believe it.
First of all, that's not how you measure it. You install all of them on the same base. That way you have just the environments and not the different programs that each distribution has running in the background.
Secondly, normal people don't care about RAM usage. The difference between the lowest and highest is negligible and your RAM is there to be used.
>>
>>62049257

See this >>62049387.
>>
>>62049257
no
>>
>>62049101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W76o_iG7Y7g&t=1m09s
>>
Having an issue/question with raid rebuilding, its been 9 years since i built this computer and ive sort of fallen out of time with tech.
One of the drives threw out smart errors and then died a day later, i just got the replacement drives in now.I removed the faulty drive but now the raid is saying an unrelated disk is degraded, but for some reason it was not part of any array that i setup,that it was part of previously .So i went in and set it to rebuild, but its a raid 5 array and currently only has 4 drives in the array while rebuilding with the newly degraded drive.What im unsure about is how its going to rebuild a raid-5 array with only 4 drives.Neither of the replacement drives are connected to the computer. What caused a drive to jump off of its array and be undelegated. And if i do this rebuild, im still going to have to rebuild with the new drive so the array is actually full? Right?
>>
I'm about to set up a dual boot Debian and an existing Win10 (muh gayming etc). I have a 250 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD for data. Do you think giving 90 GB to Debian and leaving 150 GB for Windows is a good setup? Is it too little for a Debian workstation?
>>
>>62050133
20gb is more then enough for a linux system drive, even if you use lib32
>>
Reasons for using Gentoo over Arch?
>>
>>62050133
If you aren't going to hoard data on your debian partition, fucking 20-30GB is more than enough
>>
Can I encrypt /boot if my laptop has a BIOS mobo? All the guides I've seen for encrypting /boot are aimed at UEFI systems.
>>
>>62047664
Where can I find that script that tells me how "Stallman approved" my distro is?
>>
File: 1451736952049.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451736952049.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>>62049891
>not touch typing at this age in this current year
DISGUSTING
>>
>>62050175
>>62050186
Thanks, I guess being a Win10 user where the clean OS alone eats up ~40 GB takes a toll on your brain
Side note: is it difficult to resize the partitions without data loss if need be later?
>>
>>62050204
You're lying.
Read the archwiki
>>
>>62050261
I did.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Encrypted_boot_partition_(GRUB)
>The setup is performed for a UEFI system

Are they just saying that their particular walkthrough uses UEFI, and that I could adapt it to work with BIOS?
>>
>>62050178
Gentoo gives a little more meme street cred
>>
>>62048073
Based
>>
>last xfce update was over two and a half years ago
Wtf
>>
Why is it that /g/ is not completely pro-libre and contra-proprietary software?

Was there ever a point in time where this board was more like the old hacker culture (in the old sense of the word)?
>>
>amixer sset Master toggle bug still exists
woah
>>
>>62050934
Not a bug.
No one wants to be deafened by the default 100% on when you plug in your listening device and press play
>>
>>62049257
>Bloat is something that overengineering it makes it break and break and fixing it is impossible.
Welcome to Linux development.
>>
>>62050712
It's just the new way to be edgy.

Basically some people get it in their head that it's "more free" to also allow proprietary software. But ironically they have no idea what their own side of the argument entails, because a true adherence to their own principles would also prevent them from fighting the free software movement.
>>
>>62051046
Not all bugs that break something are caused by overengineering, and not all things which never get fixed are difficult to fix.
>>
>>62050712
neo /g/ consists of normalfags who want to talk about normal things like proprietary software; we are basically jobless neckbeards, only good for rating a build, helping to choose a graphic card and freetard-trolling. Everything other than tech support on /g/ is tech-satire.
>>
I recently installed cmus and only flac files are actually showing up in the library. Anyone else have this issue and know where I fucked up?
>>
THinking about switching from Ubuntu to Solus.

Yay or nay? Is it a future or another vaporware distro?
>>
>>62051191

This + /pol/yps.
>>
>>62051234

Check if your distro doesn't have some kind of cmus-plugin-* packages that are required to play other formats.
>>
Why aren't drivers in user space? That way users could have much more control over them.
>>
>>62051191
>>62051305

and shills. Don't forget the many shills (see the period where windows 10 was released)
>>
Im an idiot and my new kernel is failing to boot. I dont feel like combing through the config again, is there a way to have the kernel dump to a log file in /boot as its starting up? Rootfs is encrypted, and its failing before luks is unlocked.
>>
>>62051557
/boot is not encrypted *
>>
>>62051310
That did it, thanks anon. Needed an mp3 plugin package.
>>
what's a good distro if i don't need a GUI and don't want systemd? also, how can i disable the graphical environment on debian? this is in a virtual machine and i literally only need to do command line stuff
>>
File: 1502665859713.jpg (153KB, 793x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1502665859713.jpg
153KB, 793x1024px
>I am a lazy person, which is why I like open source, for other people to do work for me.
>>
>>62051629
Any distro with a netinstall.
>>
File: stallman confession.jpg (1MB, 2700x1801px) Image search: [Google]
stallman confession.jpg
1MB, 2700x1801px
>>62051632
>I am a lazy person, which is why I love free software, for other people to do work for me
>>
>>62051729
He never said that.
>>
>>62051743
>not getting the point
>>
>>62051629
I'm drawing a blank on distros that don't have systemd and don't have a command line only install option. Devuan would be the obvious choice if it's not too out of date.

> how can i disable the graphical environment on debian?
Maybe you should reconsider your fitness to have strong opinions about systemd.
>>
>>62051629
alpine
>>
>>62051811
>almeme
>>
>>62051818
hello stallmanist, upset that gnu is no longer needed?
>>
>>62051829
>uses GCC
>no GNU
pick one
>>
>>62051844
>what is clang
>what is llvm
>https://github.com/ramosian-glider/clang-kernel-build
>https://github.com/kerberizer/llvm-svn
>>
>>62047664
Anyone here using alsa alone with multiple sound cards / devices? I want my ThinkPad, when docked, to use my usb audio, and when not docked, to still have audio. Currently I got the usb audio working, but it doesn't have sound when undocked.
This is what's in my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
options snd_usb_audio index=-1
options snd_hda_intel index=-

What change should I make? Or should I be using a different approach.
>>
>>62051903
udev rules set when it is docked vs undocked
>>
>>62051903
oops, bottom one is -2, it cut off when I tried to paste it

>>62051913
I heard that I can just set a sort of priority via the file I mentioned and have it work how I want.
>>
Having some issues with dual monitors and xrandr. Just using intel graphics so I don't have any other options for configuring it. I'm kind of used to using nvidia-settings. I had a saved .sh file with the xrandr command that set it up how I liked, but it just doesn't work anymore for some reason. I've tried manually running various short commands, but no matter what I try, my two monitors plugged into my docked laptop just keep mirroring. I don't even see any mirroring-related options in xrandr, so not sure why it would ever default to this. I include setting one of them as primary, which should disable the mirroring, but doesn't.

Here's what I'm running:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output HDMI2 --primary --mode 1920x1200 --rotate normal --output VGA1 --left-of HDMI2 --mode 1920x1200 --rotate left 

and if I try to do it in arandr, it puts the two displays back to where there were (on top of each other instead of next to each other with one rotated) after I hit apply.

I've had a few reboots since this stopped working. No luck. What should I check to troubleshoot this?
>>
>>62051811
He needs it for command line stuff. Why suggesting a distro with bare support for commandline stuff?
>>
>>62051629
Void GNU/Linux
>>
>>62052017
>bare support for commandline stuff?
What is this even?
Are you saying alpine cant be used from the cli? What a blatant lie
>>
>>62052051
Alpine isn't made to be used so much as made to be built up to bare minimum functionality and then sealed off in a container.

Unless you get off on logging in as root a lot and installing man pages separately for every program.
>>
>>62052134
>bare minimum functionality
False.
Alpine is suitable to be used as a daily driver and as a server os.Its minimum base install(less then 20mb) makes it ideal for various situations.

Its no different then any other distro,other then being lightweight
>>
>>62052170

>daily driver
>server os

You needs more buzzwords.
>>
>>62052233
Cant think of any more bullshit reasons?
They arent buzzwords faggot.
>>
>>62052246

What's a daily driver?
What's a server OS?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (76KB, 759x284px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
76KB, 759x284px
>>62052170
>>
I acidentally installed gentoo on my 1tb hd instead of my 128g ssd
Can I just load puppy linux and do a copy from drive to drive or will I have to go through the gentoo installation again?
>>
>>62052280
>What's a daily driver?
An operating system which has the functionality to be a desktop which is used daily to do your workflow/entertainment(Debian,Arch,Alpine,Gentoo)

>What's a server OS?
A server os is an operating system that is used on a production level. Server OS's pride stability over functionality.(RHEL,CentOS)
>>
>>62052492

>An operating system which has the functionality to be a desktop which is used daily to do your workflow
So any Linux distribution.

>A server os is an operating system that is used on a production level
>defining a buzzword with a buzzword
So, any Linux distribution.
>>
>>62052456
please respond
I think I'll just copy each partition with rsync
https://askubuntu.com/questions/409204/how-to-clone-to-a-smaller-harddisk
>>
>>62052515
>buzzword
You still dont seem to understand what a buzz word
I bet you think everything is a meme too, dont you?
>>
Quick question:

Between the LTS and non-LTS releases of ?buntu, is it to be understood as stable and unstable versions respectively? Or is it simply the amount of time that bugfixes are offered for the respective release, regardless of the quality of the initial offering?

Want to install a non-LTS version due to the latest kernel, but the possibility of constantly encountering bugs worries me.
>>
>>62052540
nice meme
>>
>>62052456
>>62052530
As far as I know you will need to modify your fstab to reflect the change and if you're also relocating /boot you will need to reinstall grub

There might be other things but you need to do those for sure.
>>
>>62052170
>>62052492
>it's always the same dumb phone poster who can't hit space
Not surprised. Can't you just get a tripcode so we can filter you, or, even better, gtfo? Please.
>>
>>62052572
frick!
This is my first time installing gentoo. Idk if it's worth migrating it to my ssd. Is it?
>>
>>62052280
>whats a daily driver
something you (can) use everyday feasibly

>whats a server os
a shitty term for an os that ships without graphical interface, with emphasis on stability/security over being constantly up to date
although in this instance it just means the os a server runs.

>>62052456
>>62052540
yes you can load puppy or anything with working dd (or rsync)
ignore complaints about size difference and dont copy the partition table (repartition)

>>62052553
lts could be seen as more stable but yeah, really its just the length of time it will continue to receive security updates and fixes

>>62052515
>any linux distro can become like any other distro
truly shocking information anon
>>
>>62052515
I'd just like to interject.
>>
>>62052574
>gets mad because of the placment of 1 pixel
Stay mad faggot
>>
>>62052530
>>62052572
Also rsync might not be a good idea as I'm not sure if they copy things like file permissions and ownership which is highly important
>>
>>62052593
I'm mad because this thread turns into shit when you appear.
>>
>>62052609
Stop replying then :^)
>>
>>62052599
rsync preserves permissions
stop.
>>
>>62052609
,It's time to realize that nobody needs your gnu
>>
>>62052589

>something you (can) use everyday feasibly
Everyone is different and everyone can feasibly use different things.
>>
tfw installed gentoo wrong anyway
th-thanks anyway guys
>>
File: 1408199118892.gif (3MB, 200x220px) Image search: [Google]
1408199118892.gif
3MB, 200x220px
Just did a fresh install on a refurbished Optiplex 790 (re: integrated Intel graphics). For some reason it won't let me have a display over 1024x800 even though the monitor I'm using supports larger resolutions (and I've used those larger resolutions on another machine with a 760ti, which I was able to get by using proprietary norveau drivers).

Anyway, I think the problem has to do with the graphics drivers but I don't know since all the information I have tells me they are fully updated. I don't have any sort of graphics control setup (like amd catalyst or nvidia control panel) though and it leaves me wondering. Any ideas?
>>
Can I make a bootable USB of 32-bit Gentoo on Windows?
>>
>>62052667
no shit
got any more obvious statements to spit out?

alpine is a lot easier to install xorg on than say openwall
>>
>>62052668
t-time to start again!
>>
>>62052705
otherwise it would have been called Genone.
>>
File: testing_in_progress.jpg (902KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
testing_in_progress.jpg
902KB, 2272x1704px
What's a good lightweight gnu distro suitable for daily use?
(I plan on using the linux kernel with it.)
>>
>>62052753
debian hurd
>>
>>62052753
There are only 3 distros.
Arch, Debian and Gentoo.
>>
>>62052753
Void
>>62052770
two of those use systemd... try again
>>
>>62052779
you can disable systemd on any os
>>
>>62052796
Only if you rebuild the distro from ground up, fellow retard.
>>
>>62052796
It's deeply integrated with a lot of things. I don't really think it's worth it. Better to just use a distro without systemd in the first place.

I really enjoy Arch, and I used to like Debian, so it bothers me to discredit those distros, but systemd is something we should take seriously. Void is a pretty good alternative to Arch. It's a bit rough around the edges, so maybe not a good Debian alternative. For Debian users, maybe PCLinuxOS would be okay. There's also Artix, but I haven't used it.
>>
>>62052811
<package manager> <install flag> *systemd packages in your community or third party repos

SOO HARD!@!!!!!
>>
>>62052815
Void is VOID of PACKAGES.If i wanted to maintain 500 packages by my self i would fucking use gentoo.
>>
>>62052779
that doesnt make them bad distros
gentoo uses systemd too, if you want it

>>62052796
pedantic shitters out
try removing systemd from debian, enjoy having to find/compile alternatives to major packages

arch is a little easier but still shit

removing systemd is a lot of work, and you'll be far better off with a distro designed without systemd than one with systemd hacked out
>>
>>62052818
That may work in your brain, but in reality it doesn't work. Systemd is deeply connected with certain other programs which depend on it. When you remove systemd, you break your system.
>>
>>62052830
but you dont have to maintain 500 packages yourself you dumb fuck
compile sure but you're not short on packages maintained by other people
>>
>>62052818
just stop posting
>>
>>62052840
http://systemd-free.org/
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_an_Ubuntu_Xenial_installation
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Debian_Stretch
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_install_systemd-independent_udisks2_and_policykit_before_removing_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

You were saying?
>>
>>62052868
see >>62052865
>>
>>62052880
>>>62052868(You)
>see >>62052865
>just stop posting
>>
>>62052880
>proven wrong
WELL....WELL... NO YOU U R RONG MEANIE :PPPPPPPP

^ This is you
>>
>>62052435
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.os.Minix/dlNtH7RRrGA/SwRavCzVE7gJ
>just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu
Call RedHat and SuSE and tell them to stop selling a hobby system.

Fucking retard. Just because the author had an intention doesn't mean I can't do as I please.
>>
>>62052902
You have proven yourself wrong by posting those links, but you're too braindead to realize it.
>>
>>62052936
>NO U ,YOU CANT REMOVE SYSTEMD ,IT IS UNPOSSIBLE
>clearly it isnt,and it is easily accomplished here is how you do it on various distros
>WELL NO UNPOSSIBLE *cognitive dissonance noises* NO CANT NOOOOOOO
>>
>>62052934
Obviously what pleases (You) is making a colossal ass of yourself.
>>
>>62052934
Sure, you can walk around with a hamburger as hat, but don't be surprised when people laugh at you.
>>
>>62052959
They wouldnt laugh, they would be like "Oh shit that guy has a hamburger hat, i want a hamburger and my head is slightly cold"
>>
>>62052959
hats are communism
why would you choose a hat when hamburgers are available?
>>
-----8<----------------- Sersious Discussion --------------------
>>
>>62052958
>I Don't Have an Argument: The Post

>>62052959
That's a stupid analogy. Hamburgers are very different from hats.
A good analogy would be wearing a beanie to an opera.
>>
So I'm installing gentoo again. My motherboard says both BIOS and UEFI
I think the problem was that it's a mixture instead of one or the other? I configured the initial boot for UEFI and it fails to load.
It's officially called UEFI BIOS.
I assume that it still boots through bios or how does that work?
The motherboard is 970a-g46.
>>
>>62053009
>no argument
You're the guy using a router OS as a "daily driver" apparently because Richard Stallman is a communist, and GNU is shit.
>>
>>62053049
,That guy isn,t me,
>>
File: 1485485144887.jpg (20KB, 590x421px) Image search: [Google]
1485485144887.jpg
20KB, 590x421px
>Most days I wake up thinking I'm the luckiest bastard alive.
>>
I've only used linux/unix at school before and I knew nothing about what I was using, only how to use it. I'm planning to VM on the home machine for a more comfortable experience, but I'm kind of lost on what I should be trying out.
I plan to use emacs for coding in c and systemverilog. And I plan to use the terminal for pretty much everything, but I do want a gui so that I can have multiple emacs open in different sizes. Might look into grabbing ModelSim, but I probably won't bother attempting to find cadence's virtuoso/spectre. I don't see myself doing much beyond that.
Should I expect to have to install emacs or gcc/gdb myself, or is stuff like that considered standard?
>>
>>62053039
dude I appreaciate your enthusiasm but you might want to dive into loonix after you have a bit more know how about computers in general?
>>
>>62053063
So the jokes on me because you're only pretending to be a retard?
>>
>>62053097
The joke is on you ,because you keep responding. :^)
>>
Is The microsoft suite (excel, word, powerpoint, etc.) compatible with ubuntu? My school offers it for free but switching to windows just to use it is such a hassle.
>>
>>62053141
>using proprietary tools
kys
>>
>>62053097
50% of /g/ hates that guy, and 50% pity him, but 100% are sick and tired of him.
>>
>>62053141
Any distro, just run Windows in a VM. It's as easy as interting the iso and pressing [play].
>>
Is there a way to add some space between terminal pane and the status bar in tmux?
>>
>>62053049
Nice strawman, and you still haven't presented any argument.
>>
File: IMG_20170823_161426.jpg (2MB, 2336x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170823_161426.jpg
2MB, 2336x4160px
I'm having trouble installing Void, how can I give permission?
>>
>>62053699
install gentoo
>>
Is there a way to have a custom gcc-config for a specific package? Like for example if I wanted app-emulation/wine-staging to be emerged with a specific gcc config? Is manually toggling it the only way?
>>
>>62053713
I don't think I can make a 32-bit installation USB from Windows.
>>
>>62053447
Argument?
I didn't even reply to you, twit.
I'm surprised you can tell the difference between and argument and a statement of fact, though. What with you being as much of a clueless shit for brains as you are.
>>
so it looks like that KDE Plasma is so focused in delivering a windows-like experience that even have it's own file indexer that freezes the system and eats all your CPU! amazing stuff

so can someone recommend some DE that doesn't look like horseshit
>>
>>62054110
or maybe I should become one of those people who uses an tiling manager with some shitty, impossible to read, font
>>
>>62054166
That's what I do. But you could maybe look into xfce, I haven't used it myself but seems to be one of the more minimal DE's
>>
>>62053904
Oh wow, you sure showed me.
Better bookmark the thread and show it to your mum as well.
>>
Once in a while my cpu starts to go insanely high
Htop shows that it is some /usr/bin/find command by "nobody" user that i can't kill because it instantly reopens itself

Debian on a Dell laptop

What to do? I always quickly restart my computer when this happens
>>
>>62054631
Time to reinstall from a usb key. Do not forget to remove battery and unplug it when halting your computer, some rootkits simulate sleep.

dd the iso in the usb on another computer. Your computer is already infected.
>>
gnomre terminal isnt working out for me lads, what should i switch to?
>>
>>62054816
xterm
>>
Some fag from the font thread made a pretty cool font, but it's in .fon format. Is there a way to convert it?
>>
>>62054816
>program issue
>solution: use different program
You will never have fun with your system.
>>
>>62055115
ask them for the regular bitmaps?
failing that see if you can extract them with resource hacker (under windows or wine)

>>62054816
xfce4-terminal
urxvt
>>
>>62055115
did you try using one of the many online font converting tools?
>>
>>62055153
its uncomfy
>>
>>62055227
not that guy, you could try make it comfy
but in the end you're probably better of using something better and working from there
>>
>>62054110
Just disable that component.
>>
>>62054110
>>62055319
Or better yet, don't even install it in the first place. Use Arch and install the specific packages you want.
>>
>>62054816
terminology if you want a terminal that can to shit like play a video as the cursor, etc...
>>
>>62055333
not quite as straightforward as it sounds because
>muh metapackages
>>
>>62055333
>tech satire
>>
File: ahmadinejad really now.jpg (15KB, 280x412px) Image search: [Google]
ahmadinejad really now.jpg
15KB, 280x412px
>use Sublime a lot
>I consider paying for it to support the devs
>I can easily throw $10 at it
>go to their website
>...
>$70 for a license
>>
File: 1495712907955.png (414KB, 450x522px) Image search: [Google]
1495712907955.png
414KB, 450x522px
>>62055916
>supporting software which doesn't respect your freedoms
>>
>>62055961
This is why I only donate to the Debian project.
>>
File: 1478224257295.jpg (110KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
1478224257295.jpg
110KB, 440x440px
>>62055916
Stop using nonfree software.
>>
>>62055916
you need more vim in your life
run: vimtutor
takes 10 minutes and you know the basics
enjoy hacking in the speed of the light
>>
File: down's.jpg (159KB, 1006x921px) Image search: [Google]
down's.jpg
159KB, 1006x921px
So I'm on Manjaro and want to get the newest version of wine-staging (2.15-1) that was released today.

I found this in the AUR:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/multilib/x86_64/wine-staging/

But when I "pacaur -S wine-staging 2.15-1", it's not finding it - just the 2.14 version.

Do I need to update my repo somehow or something?

Alternatively, what's the best way to manually update software that's more bleeding-edge than the current AUR package?
>>
File: 1480084446230.jpg (27KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1480084446230.jpg
27KB, 600x400px
>I like to sit on the beach with a floofy drink and let you guys do all the work. I’m coasting, right now I’m coasting — I don’t have any projects I’m working on.
>>
>>62056004
Try emacs.
>>
bash or zsh?
>>
File: 1473709299681.jpg (12KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
1473709299681.jpg
12KB, 300x222px
>>62056188
both
>>
>>62056142
Can I have some money?
>>
>>62056004
>needing a "tutor" to do basic text editing
Kek the shit you retards do will be the death of linux
>>
File: Screenshot_20170819_152447.png (217KB, 1197x945px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170819_152447.png
217KB, 1197x945px
Why does Dolphin on KDE scroll to the right?

That just seems like a dumb gimmick going against basically the whole scrolling standard of the rest of the system, and basically all systems, actually.
>>
>>62056479
Maybe something to do with widescreen or touch scrolling.
>>
>>62056479
That's not new, I remember things scrolling like that in Win95/98 even. It's a setting, and I think you can change the setting in dolphin too, just look for it.
>>
how to scroll in tmux+urxvt? werks in urxvt, but not with tmux in urxvt.
>>
>>62056356
>basic text editing
>not casting wizard magic with your editor
back2notepad with you.
>>
>>62056094
>I found this in the AUR
This looks like a regular Arch package to me, not the AUR.
>>
File: 1402299875528s.jpg (10KB, 206x250px) Image search: [Google]
1402299875528s.jpg
10KB, 206x250px
I asked this in the Stupid Questions General and I didn't get a response.

Ok so I just started using QEMU. I'm using AQEMU as a graphical frontend and I've run into a problem. The video memory is super low, 16MB I think. XFCE lags on it in an OpenBSD VM. I'm using Fedora as the host OS. I know there's got to be some kind of config files I can edit to change the settings to bump it up to 64MB but I don't know where it is or what it's called. It can be a configuration file for the specific VM, but preferably I'd like to change it universally so that every time I make a new VM it'll default to 64MB of video memory.

TLDR I want to increase video memory on QEMU and I don't know how.
>>
File: 1498524024252.jpg (59KB, 640x415px) Image search: [Google]
1498524024252.jpg
59KB, 640x415px
>>62057205
>>
>>62050209
vrms
>>
>>62057223
I tried and I can't find any info on where these files are actually located. The one I found said that it would be in /etc/libvirt/qemu but when I looked there wasn't any xml files. So now I'm asking here. That post was from 2011 by the way, so it's not up to date either.
>>
>>62057359
took one query to find the answer within the top 5 posts.
You can do it.
>>
>>62051287
Nay. Void is a future. Also nixos and guixsd.
>>
File: 1503422517558.png (247KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
1503422517558.png
247KB, 638x359px
>>62057386
Can you please link it here then? I'm mentally retarded and I need to be spoonfed.
>>
>>62053699
>>
So does Void Linux mobile actually work?
>>
File: 1495071623445.jpg (22KB, 400x305px) Image search: [Google]
1495071623445.jpg
22KB, 400x305px
>>62057223
>>
>>62057167
Oh, shit you're right.

How would I go about installing it if on manjaro?
>>
>>62057915
sudo pacman -S packagename
>>
>>62049020
https://github.com/eti0/arc-grey-theme
https://github.com/shimmerproject/elementary-xfce
>>
File: 1477652302005.jpg (245KB, 600x819px) Image search: [Google]
1477652302005.jpg
245KB, 600x819px
>Nobody actually creates perfect code the first time around, except me. But there's only one of me.
>>
File: ggg.png (24KB, 720x401px) Image search: [Google]
ggg.png
24KB, 720x401px
>>62047664
new to gentoo and in a virtualbox.
for some reason this is giving me problems, I believe this is a package that I have (x11...5.1.14) is blocking (x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.19). Is that right? do i really have two versions of x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox, 5.0.40 and 5.1.14? i thought that was impossible and those would cause conflict themselves.
how would i remove the older one?
also, the current version is 5.1.22, did the mirror i chose not have that version and if so how to force it to find the newest version?
>>
>>62057928
Right, but it's only finding the old version, 2.14.

Is there a repo update I have to manually grab or something?
>>
how to enable the matrix font with cmatrix?
>>
who here has configured a dwm statusbar? any advice? i'm going through the barebones one right now and i feel like i have a bit of a way to go.
>>
How plausible is it to run lynx for basic searches. You know, when troubleshooting shit and using stack overflow

Would it be faster than just using Firefox?
>>
>>62058337
dwm uses that setroot loop to display status, right? I'd just use lemonbar or polybar.
>>
>>62058472
When you can't run firefox, a text browser is comfy. I like w3m for image support.

That said, you can use a text browser for lots of other things like grepping some website content, render .html files, using it as pager, etc.
>>
Best option for a T60? Must be 32-bit and extremely light on RAM and CPU.
>>
What is one concrete reason to shift from Linux-based macOS to any distro?
>>
I'm on CloverOS and can't find any way to adjust screen resolution.
>>
>>62058683
>Linux-based macOS
what?
>>
current using terminator and non themed terminals,

is are there any draw backs from using zch? thinking about setting up oh-my-zch

also is there a way to change default programs ex. terminal > terminator, thuunar > nautalis

im on xubuntu 16.04
>>
>>62058683
>Linux-based macOS
>>
>>62058683
>Linux-based macOS

The fuck?
>>
File: 1502649706613.png (219KB, 264x338px) Image search: [Google]
1502649706613.png
219KB, 264x338px
>>62058683
>Linux-based macOS
>>
File: jerome.jpg (37KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
jerome.jpg
37KB, 480x720px
>>62058683
Linux-based macOS
>>
>>62054631
Most likely locate db updating, use pstree to find out.
If it is, you can try to install mlocate(remove locate), it's better.
>>
>>62058618
Gentoo + distcc (not me-me-ing).
>>
Is there a difference between ubuntu gnome and ubuntu budgie besides their look? I know one uses more resources than the other, but other than that, is that all?
>>
>>62059530
How can I make a bootable usb on Windows?
>>
>>62050230
>is it difficult to resize the partitions without data loss if need be later?
no, some filesystems such as btrfs can even be resized while mounted/in use
>>
>>62059541
friendly gahnu linux thread. :^/ ISOcreator? I dunno havnt done that in years. If youre this green, might wanna do a test run in a VM first. Follow the handbook, your system will be lean and actually usable. but if this is your first time booting off a usb, you might be better off with debian.
>>
>>62059609
I've booted from usb plenty of times, it's just that from reading the Gentoo wiki it seems like it's more complicated for Gentoo and requires terminal use, which I can't do in Windows. I guess I'll make a live usb of some distro and make the Gentoo USB from that.
>>
>>62049047
yes
>>
>>62058740

sorry for the stupid use, but can you point out what's wrong with what I said?

let me rephrase: what are the general reasons for switching from os x to ubuntu/other linux distros?
>>
>>62059761
MacOS does not use Linux, it uses XNU
>>
>>62059792

:|

I did not know this. Thanks for telling me.
>>
>>62059761
Freedom, technical superiority, community, love, rare stallmans.
>>
>>62059889
i've seen a few people get confused about this

basically;
XNU is similar to BSD, which is a descendant of the original UNIX (there was an OS simply called UNIX, though most modern uses of the name UNIX just refers to a style or type of OS)
Linux is UNIX-like, in that it shares some similarities to UNIX, but has no direct ties to UNIX or BSD
so while XNU and Linux have some similarities, in that they both resemble UNIX to a degree, they are entirely different codebases
>>
File: 1481914520541.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1481914520541.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
>>62059920
>>
Going to freetard my laptop tonight boiz. What distro? Trisquel is apparently the most popular, but looks like it's got exactly one dev who doesn't spend much time on it. What do?
>>
>>62059960
Get debian.
>>
>>62059954
UNIX is a trademark, Unix was a system, Linux is a sytstem kernel.
>>
Gents, I want nice fonts on GNOME, but I'm too retarded to fontconfig, can someone tell me how to make fonts look sharper?
>>
>>62059987
install retina
>>
>>62059964
>non-fsf approved distros
absolutely disgusting

>>62059960
Parabola.
>>
>>62059994
>>absolutely disgusting
A distro is FSF approved when it follows the free distribution guidelines. These guidelines are basically about "how developers should create a free distro", not a "you can't have freedom on other distros". When you use Debian, for example, and don't change it (enable nonfree repos), you have a 100% free system.
>>
>>62060037
>systemd
>>
>>62060052
systemd is free software
>>
>>62060058
It doesn't follow the FOSS ideology.
>>
>>62060058
lennartface.png
>>
File: gnu-linux.2.jumpfm.png (162KB, 1102x629px) Image search: [Google]
gnu-linux.2.jumpfm.png
162KB, 1102x629px
What are some good file managers, /fglt/?

Is ranger or mc good enough? Can I use emacs for file management? What is the most extensible file manager? PcManFM?

Would you use a file manager written in electron? Pic related.
>>
>>62060088
coreutils is good enough
>>
>>62060088
javascript belongs into the browser.
>>
>>62059537
Help
>>
>>62060143
>>62059537
Yes, that's all.
>>
>>62047664
guy on the right is Ricardo Stalmandos, right?
>>
https://askubuntu.com/questions/907607/my-video-mkv-thumbnails-are-green-or-monochromatic

I am having the same problem as described in the link above. Thumbnails for most (but not all) mkv's are green and purple. I tried following the instructions given in the second response (except using alt-f2 instead of the terminal, gedit instead of nano, etc., though I doubt that matters), but it didn't work. All thumbnails are unchanged from how they were before. What went wrong?
>>
>>62060062
>It doesn't follow the FOSS ideology.
brainlet detected
>>
>>62060062

What's the FOSS ideology?
>>
>>62056094
>>62057915
>>62058031

>found this in the AUR
>points to official repository
>how do i install a package
>doesn't know how repositories of his distribution work
>doesn't know how to sync repositories
>doesn't know how to use his package manager

But at least you knew how to use a shitty package manager wrapper for the shitty user created repository aka AUR.
Typical Manjaro/Antergos/Any Arch installer user.
>>
>>62060689
Unfriendly posters not welcome.
>>
>>62047664
Is the white Stall from the future?
>>
it's happening https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/24/mozilla_considers_move_to_opt_out_telemetry_for_firefox/
what's a browser that doesn't spy?
>>
fluxbox or openbox?
which is better?
>>
>>62061296

>trusting some random person on something subjective
>he needs to have "the best" everything
>he needs to have everything he uses to be g approved

You won't use either of those. You just want to ask it to feel cool and then you'll install it in a virtual machine, play with it for a few minutes and go back to playing videogames on your Windows computer, because you're an immature manchild as evident by your questions.
>>
>>62061398
i thought this is a friendly thread :(
>>
>>62061398
You're retarded and here is why: People ask if something is "g approved", because they want to hear all the horrible memes about certain software, this includes all the half-knowledge someone may have read somewhere. All this helps users to make desicions. Next,
>telling someone who asks a question that he should fuck off back to Windows
Thanks for your support.
>>
>>62047664
so now that Firefox kinda killed off arc theme, what's my alternative? I hate having my firefox be two different colors because of my system theme. Classic theme restorer kind of makes it better Iguess, but I'd rather have a uniform light color. On a similar note, bugs me that I can see the edge of my title bar for some reason when not using arc theme.

Sorry about the shit font rendering I borked it and haven't had the patience of finding a god fontconfig
>>
>>62061398
Who pissed on your cheerios today, anon?
>>
>>62061511

Firefox respects GTK themes. Not fully, but at least it uses the same background colors and right click menu colors and images. It also uses the same scrollbars as my GTK theme.
>>
>>62060689
>pacaur
>shitty

>aur
>shitty

what do you suggest anon

>>62058031
because you're using manjaro
with manjaro repos
you don't get the bleeding edge benefits of arch with manjaro
shouldve used antergos or just installed manually, its not hard
>>
>>62060121
s/browser/garbage/
>>
>>62061762

I don't suggest anything. Use whatever you want.
All I'm saying that him and all the other idiots are being unnecessarily retarded. They wouldn't have any of those retarded problems if they weren't using shitty, downstream distributions and getting their knowledge from memes and just blindly trusting everything.
>>
>>62062011
>i exaggerated and now i cant back up my opinions
gotta agree, manjarofags are the worst
>>
>>62062050

I don't use the AUR.
I have own PKGBUILDs for the few packages that I use that aren't in the main repository.
I use makepkg to create and update them when there's a need.
>>
>>62062075
better.
I run my own repo with packages being rebuilt twice a week
some packages are AUR proper (pkgs with good maintainers likely to change), some use pkgbuilds I wrote and some are copied from AUR but won't update with it

I find that its a better solution for me, since I have a fair few arch systems, all using packages not in official repos
>>
when reinstalling my system, is it problematic to keep my home folder from the previous installation?
>>
Should I use arch-anywhere?
>>
>>62062814
you should use gentoo
>>
>>62062814
That's what babies do, install LFS like a real man.
>>
File: 1494850593381.gif (2MB, 384x216px) Image search: [Google]
1494850593381.gif
2MB, 384x216px
>>62058683
>Linux-based macOS
>>
I'm trying to set up a wireless AP on a machine running Ubuntu Server. The machine is connected to my main router via Ethernet and has a static IP assigned via its Ethernet interface. The wireless dongle is controlled by hostapd. I need shit connected via the AP to be able to talk to shit plugged in to the main router and vice versa.

As it is, devices can connect to the AP but after authenticating they never get assigned an IP so can't do anything. If I create a bridge and add the wired and wireless interfaces to it then the machine running the bridge goes dark. Shit connected to the wireless AP can talk to anything else on the network (didn't check the other way round) but nothing can talk to the bridge machine - even ping requests return destination host unreachable. This is a problem because the box running the bridge is my home server and I need it to be visible.

Please call me a retard and spoonfeed me the solution to my problem.
>>
File: autism.gif (1008KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
1008KB, 540x540px
>>62060689
-_-

I know.

I'm well aware of the manjaro/antergos meme. I feel bad being such a retard, I just didn't realize the AUR was completely separate from the (((OFFICIAL))) repos. But yeah, makes sense. Of course, I thought manjaro had their own community repos through Octopi/pacman/whatever, but I guess it is indeed just the official Arch repository. (correct?)

Anyway, I'm not a total dumby, I get that the issue is it's too new for me to get bleeding-edge software through the nice curated Babby's Fisher-Price Le Package Manager. I do know how to manually install shit (with tar.gz's). But I figured there'd be a better way to do it in Arch or similar distros, so at least I can track and you know, ""manage"" it through the package manager?

Otherwise there's no difference between this and Memebuntu where I'd just revert to caveman methodologies and install the tar.gz anyway, because if the newest wine version isn't in the AUR then no fucking way is it in the ubuntu repo.
>>
Copying my chromium profile from my backup location(which i was running it on while i was restoring data) no longer works.It presents this error message.I checked for any lock files in the profile, and there are none.However if i point via command line to my backup profile, it works as expected.How do i restore my profile?
Failed to create a ProcessSinzgleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.[/code[
>>
>>62059792
I'd like to see OS called GNU/XNU. Such a great name!
>>
what should i choose when installing linux?
>>
>>62064757
freedom
>>
>>62064782
kek i forgot to write "filesystem" after "what"

so what filesystem should I choose when installing linux?
>>
>>62064811
ext4
>>
What's better? alias or function?
I want to have mpv open certain URL.
>>
>>62061557
Well I know that much. But I DON'T want it to respect my GTK theme. I'm using arc darker, so it makes the background black. I fucking hate how this looks. Imo it looks like fucking trash. I used arc light theme on it because it was nice, uniform, and light. But idk if it'll be ported to webextenions or not, so I don't know if I really wann deal with that desu
>>
>>62065305
Just go to Tools > Add-ons > Appearance tab
select one of the "compact" themes

Hopefully you have 3 themes in there, sometimes I think it doesn't have them and I'm not sure why. Maybe it just depends on Firefox version
>>
>>62065223
depends
an alias allows you to add options and flags more easily, whereas that's a bit harder with a function
with functions you could do something like have a part of an url as the argument and append that to an url in the function, so you could make something like a function open_thread that opens your browser with the url boards.4chan.org/$1/thread/$2 (don't know how useful that might be)
I don't know if you can do that with aliases, but I'm sure it's not as straightforward
>>
>>62065305
>>62065370
Also now that I look at your screenshot it looks like you're using the "classic theme restorer" plugin because of your square tabs. That might be the reason you're seeing inconsistent theme when using a dark one.
You could also try disabling that plugin
>>
File: snibbidy snab.png (34KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
snibbidy snab.png
34KB, 666x666px
>>62065370
holy shit, how long has this been a thing? Why have I NEVER seen this? New in the rebuilt firefox I guess? Bless you anon, now I don't have to fuck around trying to find a theme that keeps the color scheme readable
>>
>>62065389
I want to open some streams with MPV, and it seems alias is what I want.
How do you hide the terminal?
With & ?
>>
>>62065405
Nah, CTR doesn't mess with the colors afaik. What I'm referring to was just a preference on how I like my browser to look. Overall I'm not a fan of having dark elements on my frame because most pages I visit aren't dark. So I think it contrasts really fucking weird. It's a nitpick, but bugs me anyways.

Cheers anon
>>
>>62065418
& just makes the process run in the background allowing you to continue using the terminal while it's running
try exec, it replaces the running process with a new one, so your terminal should go away
>>
>>62065508
>exec
So it should be like this?
alias stream1='exec mpv URL'
>>
>>62065678
seems right, does it work?
>>
>>62065731
Nope.
>>
>>62065777
could you describe what happens when you run that alias?
did you make sure the rest of the command (everything after exec) works on it's own?
>>
>>62047664
clicked on this nigger's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eN0CIyF2ok
at some point he yells DENIED a few times, really loud which led me to:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/Ladspa_(plugin)
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Using_mbeq

Im looking for compressor/normalizer/equalizer? to set an upper limit to prevent ear rape from fags like the one above

any audio masters lurking?

what do
>>
>>62065858
Nothing happens.
The terminal closes after running it.
The alias without exec works.
Is there another way?
I just don't want a terminal window open if I'm not using it.
>>
>>62065894
you want this

gist github com / ubone / 562d43d 59f6ddcc 8d63c228e3ce717e8

>Error: Our system thinks your post is spam. Please reformat and try again.
>>
>>62065894
Im not sure what nonsense this other anon is on about, but you dont need exec.
Make the alias without exec and then use a launcher to run the alias so the terminal dosent need to be up, or you can put & disown and you can close the terminal.Though using a launcher would be more advantageous
>>
>>62065894
weird, on my machine it works but keeps the terminal around
>>
>>62065950
Sorry but I'm not sure what this suppose to be.
>>62065978
Like so ?
alias stream1='mpv URL &'

And I just need to close the terminal window?
>>
>>62066032
& disown
>>
>>62065894
>The alias without exec works.
Does it open a window or do you just want it running in the background with no interface at all?

What happens if you try
>mpv --force-window=yes
or even =no depending on your default
>>
>>62066032
you can also append
&& exit
after
& diswon
to automatically close the terminal
stream1()
{
mpv $1 & disown && exit
}
>>
>>62065978
>Im not sure what nonsense this other anon is on about, but you dont need exec.
this
I misunderstood how exactly exec worked, sorry for any confusions I might have caused
>>
>>62066046
>disown
Why not nohup?
>>62066050
It's terminal related not mpv.
exec doesn't run at all.
>>62066145
That's a function, the stream URL is fixed.
>>
>>62066171
>That's a function, the stream URL is fixed.
doesnt matter he can just replace $1 with his URL and make it an alias. I'm just used to writing functions
>>
New thread:

>>62066804
>>62066804

>>62066804
>>62066804

>>62066804
>>62066804
>>
>>62066032
>Sorry but I'm not sure what this suppose to be.
it's exactly what you want, a shortcut in you taskbar
>>
>>62066895
So it uses the URL in the clipboard?
how do I make it as an icon in start menu using XFCE?
>>
>>62062638
this isnt sqt
you're fine, just check configs, especially ssh keys

if it was problematic so many people wouldnt be installing everything on one partition except /home

its not a folder
its a directory and it better be a seperate partition
if not, put it on one
>>
>>62067170
cp /usr/share/applications/mpv.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/mpvv.desktop

>for example
then you edit the mpvv.desktop file, change the Exec= line with the ones from github and the Icon= to your liking
then you add it like you add any other thing to your xfce panel

instead of sselp you can use xsel

in the end you copy your video url and click the icon in the panel
>>
>>62062814
if you've never installed arch before, no
if you're comfortable installing arch without it and you just want to speed things up, sure

>>62064331
manjaro has its own repos (which makes it shit)
you only need separate repo for packages built without systemd dependency, and even then only for openrc
just use arch unless you have some weird green fetish and only half a brain

>>62063497
>two routers one network
you have seperate subnets for each router right
>didn't check the other way round
if icmp works its going both ways, retard
>>
>>62067378
Thanks, but I don't want it to be in the panel.
I want it to be in the menu, in the Internet category or the multimedia category.
>>
>>62067503
threads dead baby
threads dead
>>
>>62067503
so dont do
>then you add it like you add any other thing to your xfce panel

instead edit the mpv{a,v}.desktop files
Categories=Internet;Network; or something
>>
>>62067439
Don't have two routers, just want to create a wireless AP so wireless clients can connect to the network.
>>
>>62068059
you confused me with "main router"
easiest way is to run a dhcp server on the ap, which means separate subnets
>>
>>62067622
Thanks senpai
>>
>>62068212
>>62068059
forgot to ask, did you setup NAT?
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.