[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did everyone abandon it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: tox-messenger-720x340.png (16KB, 720x340px) Image search: [Google]
tox-messenger-720x340.png
16KB, 720x340px
What did everyone abandon it?
>>
What?
>>
>>62043666
No one uses Tox messenger anymore
>>
>>62043660
What does it do that Wire doesn't/won't do within a year?

Signal encryption, open source everything, and, in a year, the ability to host on your own server.
>>
>>62043710
This. Signal is so easy to use even normies can use it. Why bother with Tox?
>>
>>62043710
>>62043753
Is there a desktop app though
>>
>>62043753
Well, Signal is limited to phones and a web app. Wire uses the same protocol, but has a standalone app on Windows, Linux, and Mac, as well as phone apps.

Add the fact that it's very pretty, normie emojis and gifs and the like, the ability to voice/video single/group chat (also encrypted), open sourced everything, AND the ability to host it on your own server coming soon, and I just don't see how Tox could do anything but match Wire.

>>62043782
Yes. Linux, Mac, and Windows. Electron-based at the moment, but this was likely to bring it to as many platforms as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.
>>
>>62043660
Someone here once posted "it leaks the IP, muh botnet"
Then the threads about it stopped, lel
>>
>>62043850
well yeah it's p2p isn't it?
>>
>>62043791
Also it doesn't use Tor out of the box like Tox did.
>>
>>62043660
Because discord came and it more user friendly
>>
>>62045293
Mah privacy > user friendly
>>
File: why not both.jpg (86KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
why not both.jpg
86KB, 400x400px
>>62045367
>>
>>62043791
Wire leaks all the metadata while Signal only records when someone logs in. That's their only big fault currently.
>>
>>62045599
I never discounted that Signal was better in terms of security. My only gripe with it is that it is limited to phones and a web app. If they released a stand alone electron app, it would hands down be the better application to use.
>>
>>62045378
you're right, which means not discord
>>
>>62045648
I wasn't defending discord.
>>
stalled development, drama, broken promises.
>>
>>62045378
Just because one is more important than the other, doesn't mean the other isn't important at all.
>>
>>62045791
Indeed, which is why Wire and Signal are the apps of choice, depending on your needs.
>>
>>62043858
The problem with tox is that they claim it's secure, no one will listen, even governments (it was made with this idea).
The problem is that governments wants the metadata. Who had a discussion ? when ? for how long ? where ? etc. And regarding those points it fails since it's P2P and therefore "leak" your IP adress. So a government will still have the metadata.
They can still claim it's secure, and yes it probably is, but it won't protect your much against a government in the end.
>>
>>62043791
Does Wire have any kind of status/presence notification? I mostly use Signal now and it's the big thing I miss from Pidgin with Off-the-Record. All I want to know is when someone's specifically available to talk versus just happens to have the app open, probably in the background.
>>
>>62046077
No. There are no status settings. They don't even let you know whether they are online. The only "status" you will get is "Sent" and "Received" when you send something to them, as well as "..." when someone is typing something to you.
>>
>>62046077
Nothing like that. That said, they have a shield icon next to everyones name that appears when you verify a fingerprint, and disappears when they (or someone else) adds a new device to their account, which I thought was a clever way to let you know that they were verified without having to go and double check the finger print every time they message you or vice-versa.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.