[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>group project in intro to CS class >I've been programming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 4

File: 1485478465405.jpg (2KB, 125x101px) Image search: [Google]
1485478465405.jpg
2KB, 125x101px
>group project in intro to CS class
>I've been programming as a hobby for years, know it'll be an easy A
>professor says we have a group project due at the end of the semester
>kid next to me asks if we want to be partners
>tell him I mostly use C++ Dove into Java before the course started
>"Yeah, sure man, what kind of project do you want to work on"
>says he knows Java
> He says "Let's write a file manager, you can write the backend in C++ and I'll write the GUI in Java"
>My heart stops
>Surely he can do HTML/CSS?
> "O-okay, let's maybe just do a webserver with a blog, something simple"
>as we're leaving class, he laughs and says he once wrote a virus in C# that ate memory
>I tell him I'll write a small blog in Ruby, he can style it
>I suggest he use the skeleton-css framework
>he says know he'd rather "code his own stuff"
>He calls me on Skype daily asking me to check out his code, which is obviously copy and pasted from w3c
>He can't explain a single line of code when I ask him to
>he finally breaks and says hes just "prototyping" and will replace all the code towards the end
>mfw im now rewriting all of his stolen code while he plays Leage of Legends

I'm now writing an early group evaluation and I'm wonder if I should totally fuck this this liar or not. I hate wannabe "hackers".
>>
>>62043614

sorry for typos im really angry
>>
Liked and subscribed
>>
>>62043614
Do it.
>>
Nice blog my man, keep it on.
>>
You haven't even handed it in and you want to wreck him on the evals? Could blow up in your face later. I'd explain the situation to the prof and ask if you can do it on your own 'cause you know you're capable. I've done this in the past. Small projects like these actually get done faster if you just do them yourself.
>>
Oh man you're so cool and smart I really like you
Why don't you join us over at reddit? we love intellectuals like you!
>>
This is a great opportunity to say how much I hate 99% of CS majors.
>>
Group projects with uni normies is absolute hell. You need to get a group of smart guys asap, otherwise your whole experience will be shit.
>>
>grass up a classmate at the start of the year
I wouldn't be too quick to jump on that idea mate
>>
>>62043654
If he's so smart it should be no progrem to just get with a group of cool guys and hang out with them while doing the entire project on his own
Great way to make friends and build relationships that could be useful instead of hanging out with the smelly nerds.
>>
>>62043614
your post is confusing but just call him a fucking cuck and rekt his ass.

not like it will change anything but whatever.

I'd also avoid that prof in the future.
>>
>>62043614
>using the picture of the smiley with the carat nose
>>
>>62043645

I honestly want to wreck him because I feel like it's the only way people like him will learn? I guess it's shitty, but he's not ever going to make it if someone doesn't kick him in the ass.

>>62043648
I wish I could prove myself some other way, but it aint that easy in the deep south

>>62043696
Not allowed to be on your own, it's all about "team building".

>>62043712
Sorry if it's confusing, like I said this shit is frustrating.
>>
>>62043747
lol, he won't learn, he'll just fail when he gets to a class where he can't copy and paste his way through. You're not his mommy.
>>
>>62043747
That's the entire fucking point. Just get a bunch of chads that won't give a fuck about the project and let you make every decision and all the work yourself, go out drinking with them every weekend.
It's not hard anon. Stop being a retard.
>>
>>62043763
I don't drink though
>>
>>62043763

It's a CS class, There's no Chads.
>>
>>62043796
Just kill yourself
>>
>>62043614
First year uni here. Just going through my first group assignments now.

This is hell. I picked a gook because I thought he'd have some interest in getting high grades. First thing I said to him is that I want 100% on everything and he said "same".

We nearly have to submit our first item and I'm doing AT LEAST 3x the work he is. It's probably more like 10x the work. Fucking chink faggot. After this is submitted I'm dumping him.
>>
>>62043808
That's what I'm avoiding by not drinking. It's bad for you and I'm a highly addiction prone person
>>
>>62043818

This isn't me
>>
>>62043818
How about you become addicted to 9mm bullets taken orally from a Beretta dispenser vessel
>>
>>62043799
There's got to be at least a group of normies that are there because their parents forced them to or their first/second option rejected them.
There's got to be a group of people in that class that don't give a shit and will give this nerd fuckboi absolute control over the project which is what he wants
>>
>>62043911

You're right, I'll have to see what I can do.
>>
>>62043614
Nice blog.

Never do group projects if you have a choice. If you are forced to group then do all of the work yourself. When you start looking for a job you need to be able to explain projects you worked on. The more responsibility you have and the more work that you do, the better your resume and interviews will be (assuming you can communicate effectively).

As an undergrad, projects are generally wonderful. They pad your "stats". Unfortunately, you seem too focused on some bullshit. You should be thankful for such a great partner. Do the work yourself. Make sure to take good notes as to what you did and any problems you encountered and how you solved the problems.

Profit. Stop being a drama queen.

Good luck
>>
>>62043931
> Prove your interviewer you absolutely cannot work as a team when told to, that will leave a good impression
Solid plan.
>>
>>62043947
My point is do the work yourself, so you will have more experience. Not cry about shitty undergrad experiences during an interview.

If you have questions then there is no need for sarcasm. Feel free to ask. Complaining about bad teammates will accomplish nothing. But because of your lazy teammate you can better yourself.
>>
>>62043614
Nice blog. go ahead and fuck him up
>>
>>62043839
lol shut up bitch boy
>>
>>62043931

I'm not sure how I'm being dramatic. I am doing the project on my own now essentially. He's just there. If you're going to get into this field you need to actually care. Wannabe kids who talk up all the shit they know won't make it. If he hasn't been fucked by now he might make into the real world somehow and fuck things up for other people.
>>
>>62043763
This is why I always go for female group members.

If you dont act like an autist creep they just do whatever tasks you assign to them with no problems.
>>
>>62044192
He meant don't say "Yeah, I did all the work cause my teammates are shit." in an interview, 'cause it makes you look arrogant and gives the impression you can't work on a team. He's also saying that by doing all the work, it will give you more to talk about in an interview when you're discussing personal projects since you did most of the work.
>>
>>62044192
Went through same thing as you two nights ago anon.

>four person group
>me and one other guy at least know what we're doing
>one guy has bad english and i have to rewrite half his work but at least he tries/gives some good ideas
>fourth guy is a deadshit
>clueless, always skipped meetings
>kept spoonfeeding him exactly what he has to do so as to make it kindergarten easy for him
> one day til assignment due
>"i've pretty much finished all my stuff"
>he wrote four sentences for a section of the report that should be two pages
>didn't do any of the research
>fucks up our whole schedule
>going to strangle him in class and give him 0 on the evals
>end up missing class because train caught on fire
>mfw get sent pic of the eval report where the rest of the group agreed to say he did a quarter of the work
>mfw driven to blog about it on /g/ because can't take it out on him in person

Destroy him, anon. Do it for me.
>>
>>62044234
Next group project I'm going for a ugly chink girl.
>>
>group project to make a discussion board site
>2/4 group members drop out of the course, do nothing
>remaining group member can't do shit
>do the whole project myself
>mfw get full marks and evaluated him as having done nothing

Always do the whole project yourself and then just present your "part" to the group. If the shared end product is shit, you can always just turn in your own superior code.
>>
>>62044352

This isn't for an interview, it's a class project. I think I work very well in groups, but not when the person I'm working with is going to possibly ruin an important grade for me. Sure there could even be shitheads in companies, but this is an isolated indecent.
>>
>>62044560

incident
>>
>>62043614
Wow dude, it was EXACTLY for stuff like this that I subscribed to your channel!!! And I don't know man, you might end up making the situation worse by snitching xDDD
>>
File: 1502565686189.jpg (235KB, 848x807px) Image search: [Google]
1502565686189.jpg
235KB, 848x807px
>>62043614
you're literally a cuckold
>>
>>62043648
>Data and algorithms class
>professor says "I know cs students tend to freak out when they see math but big-o notation is an important part of algorithms
>the hardest math was comparing nlog (n) to n^2
This is when I realized I may be in the wrong major
>>
>>62044807
yeah bro, you found an intro level class easy, you must be a fucking genius!
>>
>>62044845
If you don't find big o notation easy you should get out of programming. That was my point.

You can't understand social cues nor simple math. Get out.
>>
>>62043614
Don't bother.

I carried two people through uni by doing every teamwork exercise basically all by myself since they had no eye for quality (things we wrote/did together got a C at best, things I did by myself got an A so I just started giving them stupidly easy things whilst I did the majority).

Now after university they have a hard time getting hired due to being below the average and not being able to show their skills, whilst I got a job before UNI even ended.
>>
>>62044560
>Isolated
Yeah, keep telling yourself that. There will obviously never be a time when you have a lazy co-worker and have to deal with the exact same shit again. No. You will. 100% chance of it (assuming you do not make your own company and then you will have a lazy employee. It is inescapable). Right now, if I was interviewing you, I would not even think of hiring you because you come off as someone that cannot work well with a lazy team member and become a little fucking bitch every time you are given more than your fair share of work. Yes, it sucks that you have to work, but stop being a lazy faggot and see that this just means your improve more than you would if you did it as a team. The problem ultimately here is not your lazy little bitch partner. It is your bad attitude and mindset of "I am too good to be working with this bitch!" No, you are getting exactly what your should.

Quit your bitching and grow the fuck up. Time to stop acting like a child and take every chance you can to get better. Or, just keep being a little whiny bitch. I hear Apple hires LGBTQ. If you tell them your pussy is bleeding, they might hire you on the spot, you limp dick lazy loser.
>>
>>62043614
put it in git/github and let your prof see those nice ass statistics
>>
>>62043614
the actual lesson here is don't be a passive shit who sucks anyone's dick when asked, and be the one who searches out partners who you'd want to work with

just suck it up for now and forget that prick
>>
>>62044872

I wouldn't want to work for a place that keeps lazy people around. I have no problem working, it's when other don't pull their weight, they need a lesson taught to them. In a work environment, that's the bosses job not mine. But this is school, I need a good grade if I want to get anywhere. Lazy and stupid people don't get rewarded for being lazy and stupid.

Also please take a chill please
>>
I'm about to go to my second year of college and I declared CS since I've always been interested, but never thought I was skilled. I have a little experience, but it takes me a bit to understand it and I really want to understand programming since even though I know little of it, I have a passion for it. I know things like HTML, CSS and Javascript aren't all that useful at least that's what the coworkers at my old job told me, but that's all I learned in high school besides doing some tutorials on Ruby and Python on the side, but wasn't able to get to far outside the basics. Any tips? Should I have just picked a different major?
>>
>>62044921
>I wouldn't want to work for a place that keeps lazy people around
Then, you will never find a job. There are lazy people in every business.
>>
>>62044921
You'll encounter lazy people in the work place all the time. Just learn to deal with it. You will have to work in a "team" regardless of what you get into.

If you can't deal with it or motivate/manipulate them to work harder then you're not good in teams so stop saying that.
>>
>>62044929

As long as you work hard an don't make excuses you'll be fine. Of course you have to be able to show what you'e learned. But just apply yourself.
>>
>>62044374
Same here except I was the lazy fuck. Why do hardworking cucks even deal with our shit? You need to bully useless members or throw them out of the team. Too beta to call them out at least?
>>
>>62043614
Cuck
>>
>>62044872
It's amazing how you've managed to put the blame on the lad actually doing work. crazy cunt
>>
>>62045010
He is posting on an anonymous imageboard about his pussy bleeding over having lazy team members. He is a terrible team player and will go nowhere in life. Him being a beta bitch is implied.
>>
>>62044921
Don't listen to the other replies, you shouldn't have to play pretend manager for your retard classmates. They have evaluation forms for a reason, just like how they have performance reports in the real working world (not that the other posters would know). Just do the best you can and tell the course staff the truth as early as possible so they can offer you suggestions or alternatives.
>>
>>62045026
I am putting the blame on a bad team player that does not work well with others. I will take 10000000 lazy team players over one with a bad attitude. In the former case, you just work and solve the problem. There is nothing you can do, but get rid of him in the latter case.
>>
>>62045038
Yeah, like "does jack shit" isn't a bad attitude.
>>
>>62045038

I'd argue the one who actually works hard is the team player, not the lazy one.
>>
>>62045050
>i-it's not their faults that they are lazy
>it's the other person's fault for not managing them properly!
>>
>>62045050
And what would you call a little bitch that moans about lazy teammates?
>>
>doing his work for him while he lies and coasts on by on a CS grad

dont be a cuck and report him
or else all of us will have to deal with him once he gets a job and continues to fake it

fucking normie enabler
>>
>>62045053
Welcome to life. Time to grow up.
>>
>>62045058

Hard working one who is going to make you money. If you hire and keep hard working people everyone plays nicely :^]
>>
>>62045064
Yeah, he should report him, but he should also learn to not to be a little bitch every time a lazy person comes along.
>>
>>62045064
There is literally no benefit to reporting him. Sometimes the teaching staff will blame you for "not being a team player" and dock points. Maybe if the class was curved or something, but still those lazy idiots would be in the F-C bracket and it wouldn't even matter.
>>
>>62045076
There will always be someone that squeaks through that is lazy (at least for a little while). There is no such thing as "perfect hiring."
>>
>>62043614
The first two semesters will have a lot of crud.
You quickly learn to recognize who is worth working with.

If he is plagiarizing, report him.
The school is in a better position to lecture him or throw him out if this continues.

The good thing is that group work teaches you to recognize bad partners.
In the early semesters, you are not given projects that are too big for one person, so you can usually solve it by yourself when needed, but it is better if people work together.
>>
>>62044853
of it's easy as fuck, as expected of an intro course
>woooow the hardest part of phys101 was drawing fucking free body diagrams thats when i realized i picked the wrong major XD
that's fucking you dude
>>
>>62044929
>but wasn't able to get to far outside the basics.
To really get gud with languages you need to use them a lot. After 2 years in my job now I still find big gaps in knowledge in my main languages I use (JS, Python). It can only get better over time.
>>
>>62043614
>kid next to me asks if we want to be partners
here is where you failed
>>
>>62045103
It's not better if people work together. It's Amdahl's law in real life. Whenever I had a decent partner, we would just split the work by assignment. I would do the first project, he would do the second, and we would continue alternating. It's a much better system than "working together".
>>
>>62045091

Never said there was. You should rightfully not play well with someone who is lazy and possibly incompetent and could end up costing you more time and money. I'm not going to completely throw someone under the bus, but you eventually have to learn. Either I let this kid ruin an extremely important grade, or he learns a lesson. In a professional environment I'll deal with him because he'll eventually drown.

Please fuck off with your laziness enabling bullshit.
>>
>>62045119
Ok, between class I will try and stack up on my knowledge of C#, Python or something and try to keep applying it as much as I can to my assignments.
>>
>>62045124
That might work for some assignment in class, but it will bite you in the ass when you're forced to work with a larger team IRL.
>>
>>62045165
It's the same thing in the work environment. Very rarely will you and another teammate need to be working on the same "feature" at a time.
>>
>>62043648
Same
t. CS Major
>>
>>62044929
Stick to one language you like (python is a pretty friendly all-rounder) and use it to learn various programming paradigms & ways to break down features/requirements into data and functions. After that you can start looking into other languages that you like the sound of, and you'll have a much easier time applying your knowledge inside them since MOST languages follow similar feature sets.
>>
>>62045122
What's the alternative?

Same thing happened to me and now I'm with a shitty partner.

Do I just ask the teacher who got the highest mark and latch onto that person?
>>
>>62045032
>does all the work
>bad team player

Man, capitalism sure knows how to fuck people in the head.
>>
>>62045068
>time to grow up
>defends lazy fucks
>>
>>62045180
Most likely your feature will overlap with someones else feature and teamwork is inevitable, especially when teams tend to specialize in certain things in your project. Suddenly feature X needs the work of multiple people. Maybe if you're working on very small projects you can get more independence.
>>
>>62045180
Very rarely will a "feature" be as clean cut as you are hoping.
>>
>>62044234
You've clearly never worked with a woman in your life
>>
>>62045118
No, it was when the professor warned us to not feel bad because cs students tend to find the subject hard.

>what is reading comprehension

And if that was the hardest part of your physics, you go to a shit school.
>>
>>62045300
>t. autist creep
>>
>>62043747
>>62045188
>>62044807
Oh, I'm talking about people like OP.
>>
>>62045300
desu there's literally no problem with females in team unless you have other autistic thirsty faggots in too. Then it's like an MMO guild holy shit.
>>
>>62045309
Despite what mommy told you, you are not above the """""typical""""" cs student. It should have been obvious that he said it to calm down the incoming freshman audience. Obviously this didn't register in your autist brain. Go to his office and ask him if he genuinely believed what he said.
>>
>Semester long Web Dev. project
>HTML/CSS, Node.js, jQuery, SQL etc.
>3 people per group
>One Chink who had to google translate everything I typed
>One Indian guy who was nice but hopeless, said he he could Java.
>By the end I'd done 100% of the code and neither of them even had a HTML editor on their Macs.
>We all get highest marks in the class.
>They're all freaking out once the prac exam comes out and they can't do shit.

Gooks are the worst.
>try to get them to participate.
>sorry engrish not good enough.
>proceeds to fuck about on their phone.
>>
>>62043614
Group evaluations exist for a purpose, but why the fuck would you suggest a file manager as a project for an intro level course?
>>
>>62043614

Welcome to the real-world workforce, where 10% of the people do 90% of the work. Use your advanced knowledge to subtly throw useless people under the bus whenever you can.
>>
>>62045399

I didn't, he did.
>>
>>62043747
>team building

That's a valid thing if you want to be a professional programmer.
>>
>>62043812

Don't fall for the chink meme, you get the same distribution of incompetence with the bonus of shitty language skill.
>>
>>62043614
get used to it, kiddo
>>
>>62045542
Oh shit, I misread your post, my bad.
What the hell?
>>
File: 1481901234325.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1481901234325.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>tfw gook
>tfw conspire with a chink group member to pull the language card
>tfw using group work hours to review other courses that actually matter and letting the white bitch boy do the project
Yes we're doing just enough work so he can't build a case against us.
>>
why dont you finish your Ruby blog and post about this there?
>>
>>62045309
Retard.
>>
>>62045365
Literally every young male is "thirsty" and constantly trying to impress women.
>>
>>62045377
I once had a class where the TA could barely speak English, and had to communicate by speaking in Mandarin to a Chinese student who had broken, but better English.
>>
>>62045231
All successful capitalists are lazy fucks that got other people to do the real work while they go around selling their "vision"

Examples include Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg
>t. work in a early stage startup
>>
>>62043614
Fuck him over if he fucks you over, simple.
>>
>>62045373
>>62045780
Samefag.
Sorry comprehension is hard for you. Now that I've spelt out what was said you're jumping to assumptions trying to validate yourself and discredit me.

Who do you think you are? I was there. You weren't. I know what he said, and how he said it. You don't, and can't.

Cs undergrads are mainly just kids who like games or wanted money so they chose this meme degree of potential. They can't get past Calc 2, and are an embarrassment. Stay mad.

>mommy implied ad hominem, how original
It's not a compliment that I'm smarter in general STEM than the typical cs undergrad as much as it is an embarrassment to humanity.

As for you, you're so pathetic that you try to push anonymous people down online in order to feel better about yourself. What's wrong? Did you flunk out of your community college? How are you so pathetic that you find some solace in this?

You don't know what you're talking about and are hoping to be seen as superior. You're embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>62043614
Ended up writing some of the group-projects all by myself, but ended up keeping the classmates names in the project. They were cool guys, and they didn't pretend to know anything, neither did i as i didn't do much coding before starting school. That guy sounds like he would deserve it though, write it yourself, return the project and leave his name out of it.
>>
>>62046325
And just to add to that, the same guys did help me in other courses when i needed some. So it turned out quite well.
>>
>>62045103
>If he is plagiarizing, report him.
Pretty much this. You risk getting in equal amounts of shit if someone in your group is plagarizing
>>
>>62046303
You're just another autist that fancies himself better than everyone because you managed to understand an intro uni course.

Humble yourself before actual hard stuff comes and your ego kills you, faggot
>>
>>62044700

best doujin desu

i want her to step on my dicku
>>
>>62046421
Let me spell it out for you again.
My stem skills in general > average cs students
My ability to write a simple algorithm = average passing cs student
Not really much room for improvement on the second won though
>>
Is that how you do projects in CS?

I though it would be more like
>Java course
>make something only using Java
>>
>>62044807
>big o

In britbong land you have to study this at A level for computing spec and I found it easy

thank god I'm not throwing money at a hobby degree which you could learn yourself with dedication.

It's better to go to uni to get a qualification which gives you access to connections which you otherwise wouldn't have the chance of getting. Yes, this potentially means a social science
>>
>>62046695

>go to anonymous board
>tell bullshit
>>
>>62046796
What? I'm asking not telling
>>
Tattle on him my lad.
>>
>>62049471
Someone like him doesn't deserve to be in STEM.
>>
You guys are all clueless.

I had a group project last month, asked prof if I could do it alone. He said no, I told him I could. He said that this was a mandatory group project.

I pick two guys who know little because everyone else was already in a group. I told them that each one of us has a third of the work, and that they have to implement their parts themselves. Otherwise, we're all going to fail. I told them that I had no problem with failing or getting low marks because my GPA is already high enough and I already got a job lined up (which is true).

The real kicker is that I've already done that thing before, and if the professor had let me do it individulally, I wouldn;t have to do anything. Now I have to copy a third of my code and then make sure those guys submit something before the deadline.

If everything goes south, I'm just going to submit my project.
>>
>tell him I mostly use C++ Dove into Java before the course started
>says he knows Java
Surely at this point it would make sense that both of you would use Java, as that is the only language stated to be had in common.

>Surely he can do HTML/CSS?
Why would you assume this? They're easy to learn, but people don't necessarily go out to learn them.

Honestly, both of you should have worked on a Java desktop application of some sort, instead of working on a web application, which you had no ability to assume your partner was skilled in.
>>
>>62043614
>group project in intro CS class
>I kind of dominate the project because I know what I'm doing
>professor rightfully isolates me so the pleb can take his sweet time to learn and I can get out of class early
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.