[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will 3d printer ever be a thing every house hold has or will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: 3d printer.jpg (653KB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
3d printer.jpg
653KB, 2500x2500px
Will 3d printer ever be a thing every house hold has or will it always be a novelty for hobbyists?
>>
>>62038586
no, because most people are not retarded autistic neckbeards like you
>>
>>62038639
im not retarded
>>
i'd say no

even if you made them as user friendly as possible (appstore for prints, where you just click on a file to print it), there's too limited used for normies

i have one, and all i use it for is nick nacks and sometimes prototyping for class/work
>>
>>62038586
Always a novelty.

Because ordering online will always be cheaper and faster.
>>
>>62038586
>claim to make amazing 3D printer.
>can't even do a decent 3D render of it.
>>
>>62038639
Oh wow, did being this much of an asshole make you feel good?
>>
>>62038726
The render of the printer is pretty damn good desu... who cares if the object in it is shit, that's not what they're selling
>>
>>62038757
It ruins the whole image.

I'll bet I can get a better result in under 10 minutes on muh 1080Ti.
>>
>>62038586
Can I 3d print a 3d printer to 3d print a 3d printer?
>>
>>62038830
I'll give you 15mins starting now.
>>
>>62038892
Yes, with a woman. Just keep printing until you have a girl.
>>
>Will table saws ever be a thing every house hold has or will it always be a novelty for hobbyists?
>>
>>62038892
Sure.

You just need to add the motors and electronics.
And then you have an absolute garbage tier 3D printer made from soft plastic.
>>
>>62038586
>2017
>not printing bitcoins
luddites pls go
For real though the jetsons had like for 3d printers one for food and it was the future its going to happen the smart folk will adopt early and be printing food while dumb printlettes will starve dont sleep on this /g/
>>
>>62038586
Only if precision and maybe material choices for printers go up and costs go down, and it's not castrated by patent-supported business models which prevent anything but "enterprise" printers from happening.

Something like a future variant of this looks like it might work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTJq9Z5g4Jk
>>
>>62039065
Unlike them, 3D printers do have the potential to make a lot of finished parts fully automatically, though.
>>
>>62039218

Yeah, and unlike 3D printers, a table saw can cut a beam of wood in half.

Bullet pointing an object's main selling point doesn't make an argument. 3D printers in their current state are never going to be 'in every home' until they can work with more materials than plastic, are basically silent, and are an order of magnitude faster. Not everyone had a dot matrix printer back in the day, either.

And they don't even need to reach 'one in every home' to be a mass market appliance. Table saws are a multibillion dollar industry already. Maybe 3D printers will just be a new tool in every dad's garage. Even if that's all they become, they'd still be hugely helpful for their market.

But 3D printers are not Star Trek replicators and won't be for decades, if ever.
>>
>being able to make anything you want with amazing precision
>what's the point?

are people really this retarded?
>>
>>62038586
Affordable metal sinter printes? Yes. Until then, no. Always have been disappointed at the durability and finish with plastic printers. Their only place right now is making prototype enclosures for college capstone memes.
>>
>>62039421
>amazing precision
You've never actually seen a 3D print, have you?

Even if they become 100 times more accurate (which would take 1 million times longer to print), it's still shit even compared to molded plastic.
>>
>>62039494
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC_08iukgA8

And the better one is a relatively affordable hobby printer for $700. 100 times better would be no particular problem anymore for home use.
>>
>>62038894
Wow imagine that, anon did not deliver
>>
>>62038586
novelty for Adam Savage fanboys who like making replicas of Harry Potter wands.

>>62038892
There was an open source project back in like 2011 that did that called the Rep Rap. Vaporware now I think.
>>
They won't be household items any more than printing presses are.
>>
>>62039813
Another prusa print demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFQ2lKFKxWE

Can't yet make the autists perfectly happy, but it's good.
>>
can 3D printers print metal?
well that v8 block actually work?
>>
>>62038892
No, because if you made a 3D printer completely out of that 3D printer filament, it would have weak thermal protection, and considering the fact that it has to heat up quite a bit to work, it would melt in on itself midway through and catch on fire. It would be a huge mess and also super dangerous. HOWEVER, what you can do, and I recommend you do, is to 3D print spare parts for said 3D printer. So long as you are not trying to make spare parts near the heat bed, they should hold out long enough for you to save up money and buy the official parts, or just 3D print more parts.

33% of a 3D printer can be made of 3D printer filament, but the other 66% is just not happening at this point.
>>
>>62039897
Printing presses are either archaic or huge industrial machines meant for like 50k pages / minute.

But people *do* have laser / ink jet printers, and it's getting to the point where 3D printers are getting pretty precise plus easy to operate.
>>
File: pound-coin-detail-8792519.jpg (205KB, 1300x957px) Image search: [Google]
pound-coin-detail-8792519.jpg
205KB, 1300x957px
>>62039813
>>62039916

Now compare it to a machine stamped piece.
Like a coin, for example.
>>
No. We have tons of advanced machinery and tools that people don't own. I mean there are people who don't even a fucking hammer or screwdriver and expect someone else to do everything for them.
>>
Consumers see a 3D printer and think "neat". People with an actual use for such a technology can see the cost savings vs traditional manufacturing.
>>
>>62038586
Aren't they already relatively cheap? How many plastic knickknacks does one need?
>>
>>62040077
but anon, you can make:

*a coaster
*a bookmark
*a whistle
*a headphone stand
*a toothpaste squeezer
*a shitty plastic carabiner
*a chip clip
*a soap dish

wooahh this is the power of the future!
>>
>>62039982
> Now compare it to a machine stamped piece.
Huh, what for? I'm also not looking for the ability to replicate microprint on bank notes from my ink jet printer either.

The amazing thing on an ink jet printer is that I can print virtually every photo, illustration or text up to a certain size in a resolution high enough for everyday use.

This needs to be able to print a replacement cover or button for a switch or a grip for scissors, a nicely shaped support for a table on uneven floor, a wheel for a piece of rolling luggage, or some hand tool to open a smartphone ... just all the many plastic things we use all the time.
>>
>>62040148
there are many types of plastics. and just because you need something doesn't mean you can easily make it as a lay person.

mighty putty is cool, but its also complete shit for a lot of things they claim its good for.
>>
>>62038737
this place is quite the sewer
>>
>>62039955
Aerospace companies have been using them for a while now. Very expensive machines.
>>
>>62038737
Is it your first day?
>>
>>62040177
The various thermoplastics possible still cover a very good bunch of applications, and there are other approaches with optically hardening resins and such, too.

Surely you can't replace all parts, but by and large it looks like it'll end up being a far more versatile, precise, and less labour intensive method to make various spare parts and things that would currently be hand-crafted from wood or whatever.
>>
>>62039077
Could I 3d print another 3d printer from that 3d printer?
>>
>>62039963
>whoosh
>>
>>62040365
At this point you generally can just print most plastic parts of a 3D printer on a hobbyist 3D printer.
>>
>>62038586
>be me 5 years ago
>be looking to acquire a 3d printer
>check out stuff, it's expensive and slow
>few materials only
>quality is somewhat ok
>fast forward 5 years
>check out where's that stuff is at now
>it's expensive and slow
>few materials only
>quality is somewhat ok
I guess I won't print a fembot anytime soon
>>
>>62040997
you could print a mould and mould stuff from latex I guess
>>
>>62038586

When I can print an LS like that I'm buying a printer, until then I'll be a the junkyard
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.