[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Employee retention rate at top tech companies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

File: list.jpg (49KB, 684x532px) Image search: [Google]
list.jpg
49KB, 684x532px
http://www.businessinsider.com/employee-retention-rate-top-tech-companies-2017-8?IR=T

Whatcha think /g/? Let's pretend this data's legit (it's probably shit). How long have you worked in your company? Do you plan on staying more than 2 years? What do you think of those people that jump ship every 1.5 - 2 years?
>>
You should never stay at a company longer than 2 years, there's always something better so long as you're not an incompetent piece of shit.
>>
Wish I could leave my current company (soon 1 year since I came there), but there's very little other companies that do what I want to do in my city and I'm afraid of job hunting again.
>>
I've been working more than five years at the same software company :(
>>
Huh. I am 1 year and 3 months into my first programming job. I'm pretty comfortable, although making a bit less than average (65k). I wonder if I should start looking.
>>
No wonder Muricans are shit at everything if they spend their energy hopping from one job to another. My company decided that because the talent is so awesome in Silicon Valley, we must get as many idiots from there as possible. The PRs they make are so atrocious that even a person fresh out of university in my country wouldn't produce such garbage. They also have this endless need to socialize and spend 80% of their time fucking talking about shit. What triggers me the most is that they get paid at least double as much as I do. I don't mind the harmless fool who can just be ignored but when they cost so much money, it's harmful for the company. I predict that at some point the IT hegemony of US will fall because most of the people in the field are talentless hacks who cost way more than what they are worth.
>>
>>62038572
Welcome to the quitting economy, where what defines the quality of a job is how well it sets you up for your next job.

Loyalty, job security? What's that? People move because companies no longer have any loyalty to their employees (thus don't promote them), and companies no longer feel any loyalty to their employees because people leave all the time (because they aren't promoted or are replaced). Why produce anything meaningful in your career when you could spend it working on short term projects while bounding between corporate management positions and giving TED talks?

Of course this state of affairs is the result of the best possible intentions by corporate MBAs who took it upon themselves to fuck everything in the name of short term gains in profitability.

Thanks, MBAs.
>>
>>62038656
Not in the aerospace industry
>>
>>62038572
i worked for one of those companies for a bit less than 4 years, wouldn't recommend anyone staying there much longer than i did
>>
>>62039476
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend being an über driver, either.
>>
Been at a cozy job for five years. I may have the chance to do hardware design at intel. However living in CA with the "not if but when" question on my homelessness make me nervous to bother.
>>
>>62039123
t. Triggered, autistic yuropoor who's jelly as fuck Americans can be good at everything while finding time to socialize

Git gud you fucking /r9k/ autist.
>>
>>62040042
kek
>>
>>62038656
my father worked 50 years in the same company and now he will get big money for his premature retirement.
This corps are monsters that only exploit young people until they are drained out of energy and move along to the next generation of faggots rdy to pay for less money, that's not sustainable and will eventually hurt the social fabric.

>Birth rates decreasing
>Stress level increasing
>Unstable relationships
>House owning deceasing
>Income decreasing

nothing positive will come out from this practices.
>>
>>62038572
Salary bump. It is easier to get more money from a new hire than your current job. The employees are moving between all those companies and more not listed.
>>
File: 1478224028774.jpg (174KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478224028774.jpg
174KB, 640x640px
>>62040498
>50 years
>premature retirement
>>
>>62038656
This is a fucking joke perpetuated by tech corps to always keep a fresh supply of unassuming disposable new hires on hand.
>>
File: 1389068220023.png (48KB, 778x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1389068220023.png
48KB, 778x1068px
>>62040042
H I G H T E S T
>>
That's fucking horrible. How is that sustainable? How is someone expected to make a life in that environment?

Much bigger issue then diversity and shit. Actually just further cements my idea that all the gender and race issues pushed in the media is to distract and divide the working class in how they're getting fucked.
>>
>>62042955
Remember when staying in a company long term meant promotion? Now it just means u work your ass off just to be replaced outsourced and automated
>>
>>62040498
>50 years
>premature retirement
>>
I've been here for 3.
I'm gonna stay here as long as I'm comfortable, if I make it to 20 then that's a win for me.

That fat military pension is a helluva drug.
>>
I work for a huge software company, actually surprised its not on the list so I wonder what our retention is like. I've been here 2.5 years with no plans of leaving. I went from 100k to 140k since starting and I really don't need any more money. My job is pretty low stress, I only work 40 hours a week, and I work fully remote from a cheap area of the midwest. Probably going to stay here unless the company changes drastically or starts to decline.
>>
I'm going on three years at my company, I don't plan on changing soon because they pay decent, I can work from home every day, and I know the project well enough that them replacing me would be very costly to them
>>
>>62043242
>$140k
>I work fully remote from a cheap area of the midwest

How does the rich life feel?
>>
My company figured that any tech company in the USA are doomed to fail from the obscene turnover so they moved everything out of Palo alto to Canada.
>>
>>62038572
What is the retention rate at Valve?
>>
>>62043242
How do I become you?
>>
>>62043353
he's lying, no one in the midwest makes 140k in tech unless they are in sales.
>>
>>62043482
That explains why the biggest 4 companies in the world by market cap are American tech companies...
Makes you think...
>>
>>62038572
I am literally working remotely at one of these companies right now and that sounds about right. I work remotely and browse /g/ and /v/ all day long. I can't see myself staying here for more than 2 years.

The reason behind that is because it's pretty much fucking impossible for a current employee to rise up within the ranks. It's no problem switching to certain departments but if I did that I'd get fucked out of a raise. Why get paid an extra 5k a year when I can just do what I do now at another company, and possibly in a supervisor role doing pretty much the same shit (I'd have to go over everything anyway), and get paid an extra 20-30k a year for another company.

The companies listed basically mold this structure and it seems about right. The employers are just as expendable as the employees and vice versa. The thing to do in the industry now is get a big company name or two on your resume, then go work for a smaller company or startup making 150k+ a year with guaranteed company stock by the time you're ready to settle down.

I'd much rather just stay in one company because having the job security I have right now is fucking nice but at the end of the day no one is getting anywhere because I have bills to pay and shit that I want to do with my life.
>>
>>62043760
Ohfucking hell, let me retract some shit before some autist gives me shit. I browse during my downtime baka and I have downtime every now and then and it's fine
>>
Sour cream and onion, smoky barbecue
>>
>>62043760
so basically >>62039297
>>
>>62043907
Pretty much. That's how it works, he posted the tl;dr version of it and I posted the autist version
>>
>>62038656
This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

The more you work for a company the harder it is for you to be replaced. Especially if you know the in and outside of their software.
>>
>>62038656
The only exception is if you really fucking love your team and your manager and shit's comfy. If you *love* your job you're very lucky and it'll likely never get as good if you leave. If it's so-so, jump ship every 2 years.
>>
>>62038572
I'm surprised people at Amazon stay that long. Is Amazon the worst company on that list in regards to working for them?
>>
>>62040042
being a über driver would probably be more pleasant than working as a developer for at least half of the companies on that list
>>
>>62044977
>t. unemployed NEET who has never worked in any job his entire life
>>
>>62044991
>Facebook
>Google
>Apple
>Twitter
>Microsoft

SJW Jews, yeah, it is a very pleasant work environment no doubt
>>
>work for 3 years at one company
>boss says they can't promote me
>jump to competing company for a 30% pay increase
>repeat

I don't know when this started to happen but companies don't give a shit any more.
>>
>>62045001
Why the fuck would I care about what people who I will never interact with outside of work think? I'm just here to sit in a desk for 8 hours a day and collect my paycheck, not to start a revolution.
>>
>>62038572
I worked at my last company for about 10 years.
>>
>>62038656
I see you are in management.
>>
minimum of 8months
max of 1-2years

i get bored easily, dont care about the pay as long as im happy
>>
>>62045040
>I'm just here to sit in a desk for 8 hours a day
Spoken like someone who never worked on a proper team
>>
>>62045080
I have. My coworkers don't ask me to join the latest BLM riot every time I need a code review.
>>
File: 1503348066071.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1503348066071.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>62038572
Ive been at AWS for 3 years now and I have no plans to leave. Great opportunity, I've learned a ton, and now that I know a lot about the services I work on it's actually pretty comfy too. I may switch teams, but this has been insane for my career development and I feel like I'm paid really well too.

I think the biggest reason aside from churn and burn from these numbers, is that these companies are located in areas with tons of competition and they snipe each other.

When I was hired Amazon stock was under 350 and since it's grown so much I am benefitting greatly now from good timing.
>>
>>62045019
Not like don't give a shit.
The thing is that in modern payment model if a person is ok with it, he/she is not worth to raise the payment anyway. Skillful worker would just leave the company in that case, as it happens. They would rather pay a person who left his/her previous working space, cause they are more mobile and know what they cost.
if you've worked in a company for a long time without hesitation to find a higher paid job, msot likely that people who joined your company recently get paid more than you, even though they have less experience.
>>
only brainlets would reason out they are staying in a company for more knowledge. nigga what is a manual? everything you need is already available. experience is irrelevant if you know what you are doing in the first place
>>
>>62045148
Spoken like someone who lacks experience.
>>
I work at Uber and have been around for about 3 years (fuckin ages in Uber time).
I think the reason dev churn is so high is a lot of people come in expecting a cushy 8 hour a day job and aren't up to the stress.
>>
>>62045393
>a lot of people come in expecting a regular job but quit because they were treated as slaves
>>
>>62045422
Slaves don't get paid 160k a year straight out of undergrad.
>>
>>62045431
You can get paid that much at Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and literally every other big company with half the effort.
>>
>>62045431
That 160k a year doesn't count when you are working more than 40 hours a week. I could have made that too when I used to weld if I worked enough overtime.
>>
>>62044165
Yeah but most companies aren't willing to pay more for that experience and that's when you threaten to leave for another company that is willing to pay up.
>>
>>62038572
Alright /g/ for me I finally entered the tech industry, albeit a shitty fucking Desktop Support role which is literally a monkey's job. It fucking amazes me to have people that are double my age still working the same job and only getting 10k more or so. Some people have been here for years.

There is this 28 year old kid at my work I am only 20 but assuming he was either fresh out of uni or TAFE (ausfag college) I'd expect someone to move upwards over time. But no this fuck spends his free time just raving and dyed his hair purple and is going to blue for some reason. In his free time he browses facebook and that is really it.

My father as well has moved from job to job but due to the simple fact that he works his ass off nets a huge ass contract for the banks, completes the project and doesnt get promoted, he asks for a raise/commission and all he got was a fucking glass plate. So he now has been working at this place for 3 years that provides him a good salary + commission.

I intend to staying at my job until November next year because it is likely we will lose the tender to someone else and it gives me a perfect excuse to look for another job. There also isnt much upwards movement in my organisation so it only makes sense to move to another company after an X amount of time. Might even consider working for the government.

On a side note I would like to have some advice though, I got this foot in door in the tech industry right now and I want to learn something that will net me a Network Engineer job/Business Analyst type job. I got this free education program my company provides to abuse and want your take on what Certifications/Skills are desirable in the market right now.
>>
>>62039123
Looks like your boss fell for the Silicon Valley meme.

I work here and I can tell you this place is exactly like Hollywood: 99% posers hoping to catch something big, and 1% real talent making real impact

Your boss fished up a bunch of no good z-listers and thinks he's got a Hollywood movie star on his hands
>>
>>62043760
Working hard is literally the antithesis of Australian culture.

Even you say you want to do other things in life. This mentality is how that guy is 28 and coasting through life in a mediocre job. Some day you'll be him.
>>
>>62046388
Oops . Meant for >>62045885
>>
>>62045885
Not sure about Australia, but in the US having a CCNA is basically a prerequisite to any serious network engineer type job.
>>
>>62045885
>>62046431
Without a tertiary degree, you're looking at about 2 years minimum in tech support and Cisco/Microsoft certs

Why not just go to uni?
>>
>>62046397
I am not born here, but seeing my dad double his salary in 8.5 years is a fucking eye opener.

>>62046431
Alright got half of it, buying a second hand book tomorrow and study for the other half. However it still doesnt feel like it will be enough to net a job.

>>62046498
I was "dating" this 25 year old girl and she graduated uni at 24, she is still stuck in the same 60k a year job (10k more than me) which she took 6 months to find. I did try uni but I ended up going to TAFE for a year where we got to play around with Cisco switches, Linux, Windows Server and pretty basic shit. I netted this job paying me 50k a year and know that I can do a bunch of hobby projects and run some labs with VMs and get some certs. Also I have only 8k uni debt opposed to 40k or 32k that most students will get.
In short term I'd much spend time learning real skills and fiddling with real hardware/software rather than sitting at uni learning 4 different programming languages at once and having to write reports and essays on bullshit.

I can always go back to uni if I want to, probably even cut out a few years.

tl;dr TAFE right away netted me a job within a week of finishing and I'd much rather learn industry certs that I can deduct of tax than get 32k debt from JEWni
>>
>>62040498
Uhh, we can just get more people to immigrate to replace the current batch we're working to death. Then repeat the process indefinitely. Your purpose isn't to own a home or start a family, it's to create wealth for your CEO and shareholders.
>>
>>62044165
Your retarded they will litterally make.you train the dude 2 years then fire you.

Why ? Cause your grandfathered into an old expensive plan, or fuck it they shut down, no longer operate in USA and thus not obligated to pay pensions
>>
>>62046662
Go back to where you came from. We're full
>>
>>62046757
Work harder then, father always said.
>"Work more than what you are paid for"

And then ask for a raise...

And it fucking works
>>
If you work at any of those companies you can probably just do your own thing and be ok.
>>
>>62046703
Wow.

Only a racist would oppose our glorious corporate overlord's plan to keep our failing global economies afloat by saturating the labour market and stifling true individuality and dissent.

Nations don't exist. There is only one nation: the human nation. And we must continue working to help all people so they can be able to consume products, whether that be through government subsidies or getting them to compete in the workforce.
>>
>>62045078
Exactly this, I don't plan on forming a family so I travel wherever I can find a job that I like.
>>
>>62045126
What's your opinion about Gentoo, is it just a meme.
>>
>>62038656
I do this just so my life doesn't get stale
>>
>>62045431

>omg look at all this money I make
>except I can't enjoy a single aspect of life or have free time to explore and be a fucking person

BOY SURE IS WORTH BURN OUT
>>
File: 128704028121.png (55KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
128704028121.png
55KB, 657x527px
>>62047315
>need all my free time to post on the 4chans!!
>
>>
>>62047370

I am on the subway.
>>
File: true.jpg (57KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
true.jpg
57KB, 500x333px
>>62038572
>twitter
lol, twitter have employees? And what are they doing?
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.