[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux or GNU/Linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

File: 1503224481528.jpg (94KB, 800x1143px) Image search: [Google]
1503224481528.jpg
94KB, 800x1143px
>>
>>62038106
I want to fuck that girl(male)
>>
>>62038106
GNU/Linux is objectively better because it doesn't hurt rms feelings
>>
>>62038128
RMS is an virgin autist. He needs to be bullied. Linus is a true Chad, hence it's Linux.
>>
>>62038106
GNU+Linux; because there's a few retards on /g/ who think they're trolls, who get really triggered.
And 4chan has a long, proud tradition of trolls trolling trolls.
>>
Gentoo, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Just Gentoo
>>
GNU/Linux, because every time you call it Linux, you have to scroll past this to view the rest of the thread....

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>62038145
>RMS is an virgin autist. He needs to be bullied. Linus is a true Chad, hence it's Linux.
I agree he is an autist, and that is exactly my point

linus won't get triggered if people say GNU/Linux, while rms will be if we don't, therefore using GNU/Linux is the best solution which hurts the least amount of people's feelings
>>
File: 1502456844091(4).jpg (49KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1502456844091(4).jpg
49KB, 665x574px
>>62038106
What's the difference?
>>
>>62038106
Systemd+linux
>>
>>62038128
Then we should forever call it Linux. RMS can go fuck himself.
>>
Linux can work without GNU. Just say Linux.
>>
File: 250px-Lennart_Poettering_2007.jpg (16KB, 250x333px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Lennart_Poettering_2007.jpg
16KB, 250x333px
>>62038206
>>
>>62038242
>Linux can work without GNU. Just say Linux.
and yet... you use GNU
>>
>>62038106
Linux because I say whatever the fuck I want.
>>
>>62038253
> implying
>>
>>62038184
>we can't offend people
you have now motivated me to use linux
>>
>>62038128
also because it's easier to understand what someone means when they say it
>>
>>62038106
What's the name of this girl?
>>
>>62038119
she has a massive cock
>>
>>62038253
Alpine Linux here, fag
>>
>>62038341
Good
>>
>>62038325
Astolfo.
It's a trap.
>>
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
>>
If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this: be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.
>>
>>62038625
even if Linux never came to exist gcc would still be important today
>>
Linus writes beautiful code. He has published some side projects that he wrote all on his own and the code is just wonderful. He also lives in the real world while still maintaining his open source ideals and supporting himself through his work.

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.
>>
>>62038609
>By my definition...
Opinion discarded. Linux is just a kernel, not an OS.
>>
>>62038511
Incorrect. It's THE trap.
>>
Don't call it GNU/Linux. It gives Stallsham undue credit. He's done nothing but take credit for the work of others and has the audacity to call himself a Doctor when he couldn't even finish his Masters.

>wrote emacs
Contributed to guy steele's TECO macros, later cloned gosmacs, the actual first emacs for UNIX. If stallman wrote emacs, apple is the sole creator of webkit.
>wrote gcc and gdb
He wrote the C compiler initially, but the vast majority of development for other compilers and the C compiler has came from non-stallman sources.

And he hasn't programmed in years. Stallman is washed up, and his justifications for copyleft are horribly invalid nonsense that would make more sense if they were actual thinly veiled communism instead of selfish ramblings and a desire for a world that catered to his specific social class.
>>
stallman is not a philosophically pure person. he follows his ideals when convenient, and ignores them or slightly alters them when the conflict isn't worth it.

stallman is an egoist in denial, afraid of admitting that he just wants some fucking source code instead of a world where he has to rely on other people because he knows he wouldn't get it that way.

his system has some practical merits but his attempts at creating moral justifications are completely pathetic and nonsensical. how low do you have to be to have to make up bullshit "oughts" when you can just say "it would be fucking better"?
>>
It's time to face the facts. Richard Stallman is nothing more than a whining, overly obese autistic manbaby who has not done anything beneficial for the computing OR technology world in the past 20 years. Seriously. Name something that RMS has done after 1995 besides bitching, crying, and moaning about bullshit that does not matter, or making some retarded, incomprehensible speech.

He demands that Linux be called GNU/Linux. That is fucking insane. The only reason GNU, GPL, and FSF are still a THING is because of Linus and the invention of Linux. If anything, Stallman should rename GNU to Linux/GNU, because without Linus, the GNU, GPL, and FSF would not be a thing anymore.

Stallman still has the fucking gonads to act like he's superior to everyone else. Saying shit such as "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone" right after Steve Jobs' death. What an asshole. Stallman has not even programmed a single line of code since 2008, that was AFTER he essentially stopped in 1992.

He should be fucking grateful Linus stepped in to save his ass, and even allowing him to take partial credit for his achievements. If it wasn't for Linus, he would be nothing, he would probably be dead in a Burger King dumpster right now.

Besides, what has he ever even done? He claims to have written eMacs, but in reality he actually cloned gosmacs (the first eMacs that was made for UNIX). He didn't even write 50% of the code in eMacs.

You might say he wrote GCC and GDB, but the truth is that he initally wrote the C compiler, but now the vast majority for the same compiler is done by contributors.

He's a washed up, morbidly obese man who tries to stay relevant by having these retarded arguments that are similar to those found in the Soviet Union. Face it GNU/Freetards, Richard Stallman is a fat dickhead, and the only reason his name is still in the books is because of Linus's achievements.
>>
File: based terry god.png (622KB, 902x762px) Image search: [Google]
based terry god.png
622KB, 902x762px
>>62038653
>>
Reminder: GNU and FSF exists because Richard "M" Stallman got a hissyfit at a printer being propriatary, yet printers are still propriatary. Richard Stallman has contributed literally nothing to the world.
>>
File: 00.jpg (264KB, 1280x1816px) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
264KB, 1280x1816px
>>62038665
No way, Suzu is THE trap.
>>
RMS is a toe fungus eating autist that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and thinks GNU/linux is superior naming, god forbid you to use proprietary software, what a pisstake...
>>
>>62038341
sauce please
>>
File: muh gnu.jpg (9KB, 235x211px) Image search: [Google]
muh gnu.jpg
9KB, 235x211px
>>62038826
>GNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
>>62038106
You don't call Android android/Linux, you also don't call it Linux.
You don't call macOS MacOS/XNU, you also don't call it XNU.
You don't call windows windows/nt, you also don't call it NT.
Therefore, it's not Linux, it's not GNU/Linux. It's just GNU.

So yeah, neither. It's just GNU
>>
>>62038106
Linux. That's it. That's what everyone calls it. Adding GNU/ is contrived and is literally just to appease his whiny ego.
>>
>>62039642
>Linux normally has GNU userspace, so that must mean the OS is GNU
retard
>>
>>62039749
But it is. ChromeOS which is Chrome/Linux is just called ChromeOS. Android/linux is called android. Firefox/linux is called FirefoxOS. Sailfish/Linux is just called Sailfish.
You're obviously proven wrong.
>>
>>62039828
ChromeOS has GNU and you didn't demand credit for it! Lol!
>>
>>62038106
GNU/Linux+GNU*X/(Linux-GNU)2
>>
>>62039997
>ChromeOS has GNU
Yes, but GNU is less relevant than Chrome on it.
>>
File: 1457618161955.jpg (995KB, 2292x1529px) Image search: [Google]
1457618161955.jpg
995KB, 2292x1529px
>>62038106
We need a desktop/serveur OS with only Linux without GNU just for Stallman's tears
>>
>>62040056
It has as much GNU as Linux
>>
>>62040145
No it doesn't
>>
>>62040631
>doesn't give proof
>>
File: Burden of proof.png (134KB, 338x534px) Image search: [Google]
Burden of proof.png
134KB, 338x534px
>>62040650
>>
>>62040684
no u
>>
>>62038653
Example of code actually written by Linus?
>>
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>62041394
Fuck off Stallman, Linux doesn't need GNU
>>
>>62041423
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
File: 1501913426547.png (1MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1501913426547.png
1MB, 1200x1600px
>>62038106
As a fellow degenerate trap lover, I say it's GNU/Linux
>>
>>62038798
Astolfo from fate/grand order
>>
>>62042297
nice try
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.