[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good linux distro for work that I can still customize?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Does anyone know of a good Linux distro that is a mix between ease of use and customization? I used gentoo but got less work done due to system maintenance? I was thinking manjaro though it has systemd and no lvm support.
>>
Maybe Sabayon or Calculate
>>
>>62033357
Xubuntu.
>>
>>62033357
> I used gentoo but got less work done due to system maintenance
Why though? Was your computer not sporting enough RAM to upgrade in the background while you work? Was the CPU super slow so that program updates aren't done in a short time?

> systemd
Is actually helpful if you want fast startup & quick diagnostics.
>>
>>62033357
>caring about systemd
Why? Why care?
systemd is FOSS and commits no wrongs against you.
>inb4 muh unix design philosophy
GNU/LINUX or simply LINUX is not UNIX.
>>
>>62033443
He's saying that due to system maintenance
>shit on the terminal
It doesn't allow him to use the operating system efficiently for his workflow. It's not the system it's the heavy maintenance that comes with gentoo as a linux distribution.

But that's what I got from the OP's original post.
>>
If you don't want systemd : Void Linux (easy to install and customize with low maintenance required)
With systemd : Arch Linux, Debian, Fedora
>>
>>62033511
>He's saying that due to system maintenance
I'm running a fairly large x86_64 gentoo installation of ~1500 packages and updates rarely take more than an USE-flag change (and of course emerge --sync && emerge -uND @world).

Been doing that for >10 years now. There is no heavy maintenance involved. Oh sure, "live" migrating x86 to x86_64 took some hands-on work, but I don't think an offline reinstall on a binary distro would have been easier.
>>
>>62033357
Debian netinstall
>>
>>62033357
Linux mint
>>
>>62033595
>works on my machine(TM)
>>
>>62033641
Works on three machines, one of which is arguably a VM.

Worked on other machines before. Has been a while since I started using it in 2004 - when arguably portage was less reliably processing packages and needed more hands-on intervention.

What I use today is nothing special at all, and the only thing I added "for Gentoo" is extra RAM. That is what got low on some compiles. It's now 8GB on that machine - nothing that will impress anyone, really.
>>
What distro would you call not customizable?
>>
>>62033357
try devuan or artix

>>62033595
Gentoo can be time consuming until you get the gist if how packages work. He probably fucked up something while installing some packages. I'd suggest a good ol' clean install,but that'll require some time and he probably doesn't have a lot atm.
>>
>>62033797
> He probably fucked up something while installing some packages
Invalid configuration will be pointed out relatively concisely by portage.
Once you fix it in /etc/portage it's fixed basically permanently, with almost only small shit to decide (ruby 2.0 discontinued for compiling this package - pick ruby 2.3 or ruby 2.4...) on updates.

The update I'm running now took no changes to anything again. It's only 11 packages, but still, happens quite often that there is absolutely nothing to decide at all.

> I'd suggest a good ol' clean install
Unless he wrote file tarballs (say, a whole ubuntu installation) into Gentoo manually or deleted the base system, I don't think this is ever necessary or easier than just changing the configuration and tell portage to process @world.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.