[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are so many programmers and computer scientists bad at Math?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1503380756201.jpg (166KB, 1023x1553px) Image search: [Google]
1503380756201.jpg
166KB, 1023x1553px
Why are so many programmers and computer scientists bad at Math? I'm so deep into Topology I cannot even phatom the remote possibility of someone not knowing Calculus, Linear Algebra etc. Learning Math is obviously beneficial to your skills and experience so why do so many people just neglect it? Is it that they're just dumb and willingly ignorant?
>>
>>62028022
Where would I use linear algebra and calculus in writing a kernel or a compiler?
>>
>>62028022
let's see you apply linear algebra to making web apps you pretentious fuck
>>
>>62028022
Because its fucking boring, confusing and takes ages to understand.

Id rather just rip code from stack overflow or steal an algorithm from wiki and implement it than figure out my own shit.
>>
>>62028022
Programming is just applied math you brainlet, if you study programming, you study math.
>>
>>62028022
Computer Programming has become a trade where tricks of the trade and common sense get you much farther than "learning it the right way because muh science" in most applied instances. This obviously isn't the case if you're doing really specialized software requiring complex math, but, realistically speaking you can do just fine without
>>
We learn Calculus in the first year of our bachelor's degree and then proceed to never use it once. Linear algebra is used fairly often though in a number of fields.

>>62028141

Machine learning. It's basically nothing but linear algebra.

>>62028167

And what do you do if the algorithm doesn't exist yet?
>>
>>62028180
No it's not you brainlet. That's like saying if you study psychology, you're studying math, since it's applied chemistry which is applied physics which is applied maths.
>>
>>62028199
You've never used rate of change or area under a curve in CS?
>>
>>62028141
Said the user of libraries that end up calling LAPACK in the deep end.
>>
>>62028337

They don't really come up, no.
>>
>>62028022
>phatom
I can't fathom someone claiming to be in CS and extremely good at math being a phoneposter.
>>
>>62028199
Im not smart enough to ever be in a job where the algorithm not existing is a thing that could happen.
>>
>>62028203
False equivalence, math is closely tied to programming/computing.
>>
>>62028337
>differentials and calculating the area under a curve is considered calculus by US standards
Fucking top kek
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.