[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop/netbook alternative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: computingsetup.png (13KB, 497x333px) Image search: [Google]
computingsetup.png
13KB, 497x333px
Is this retarded? It seems like it but I can't pin down exactly how. All I need is to be able to write on the go. I don't want or need a full laptop, tablet or netbook for that, it'd just be another thing I need to keep charged.

My thinking is, this feels close to using my desktop, it's modular so I am only out $18 if I spill my drink on the keyboard and it's all low power enough I can charge it from the solar panels on my backpack.

It doesn't pack up as quickly as a laptop or netbook though, so there's that. It also looks goofy as fuck, but seems otherwise very usable. Is it?
>>
Isn't this way less convenient?
>>
fuck off phoner
>>
>>62026955
Yes:
>It doesn't pack up as quickly as a laptop or netbook though, so there's that.

However there's a few upsides that maybe balance that out. It's not all cramped together so I can spread out the keyboard, mouse and "monitor". If I spill a drink on part of it the rest is fine, it's cheaper and not as power hungry.

However you're probably onto something, if there's one thing that makes me give up on this it will likely turn out to be the inconvenience of having to pack all this shit away into my bag one by one. I just thought I'd try it out experimentally.
>>
This seems like an interesting experiment. What will you use to hold up the magnifying glass? A smartphone stand?
>>
File: phonemag.jpg (91KB, 1024x1025px) Image search: [Google]
phonemag.jpg
91KB, 1024x1025px
>>62027054

There's already phone magnifiers designed for this exact use. Supposedly it actually does the job very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4dP0CvrMIY

it's just nobody really needs one except for a few narrow cases, most people just buy tablets or netbooks I guess
>>
>>62027095
Looks cool.
I have actually been looming around. Did you know there is some new tech, laptop docks for your smartphone. Called Super book, Nexdock, and Mirabook. Basically everything in one package and a top notch screen if you choose IPS 1080p.
>>
>>62027347

That sounds promising actually. Basically more or less what I need. I would still want a real mouse instead of a touchpad tho.
>>
>>62026937
>Is this retarded?
See the movie "Brazil".
>>
>>62026937
There's BT keyboards that come with a little touchpad or trackball, so that simplifies your setup by removing the mouse already, and if you plan on mostly typing, it'll be enough.

Then I'd recommend you to get a RPi Zero with a chink screen and battery pack, which makes a nice little computer, but that requires some DIYery, and that's an extra thing to charge, though it'll use the same cable as your phone and can easily last 10 hours on a charge wtih a 3000mAH battery.
>>
>>62028910

That's where I got the idea. I don't think being in a dystopian science fiction film necessarily makes something a bad idea.

>>62029046

I really hate trackpads. I need a real mouse. I'd buy the RPi Zero but I already have sunk a lot of money into another small computer, my phone. I don't see why I can't just use that for everything.
>>
>>62029186
>I don't see why I can't just use that for everything.
Because both iOS and Android sucks ass at power efficiency and all text editors are bloated as fuck and struggle with files larger than 1KB, and they'll eat all your battery life. Also tiny screen.

If you expected your phone to become a computer, well, you made a mistake. You should have gotten a tiny dumbphone with wifi tethering and use a netbook for your actual internet stuff.
>>
>>62029240
>Also tiny screen.

That's what the magnifier is for.

>If you expected your phone to become a computer

No, I just want to be able to write comfortably on it.
>>
>>62029252
And you end up carrying bulkier and less practical shit as a result. Netbooks exist for a reason anon.
>>
>>62027095
>that video
cringe
>>
>>62029332

Yeah maybe. I just don't want to buy yet another computer, I don't like the cramped little keyboard and screen together with the little nub or trackpad.

I am willing to put up with a little more bulk and a little less practicality for something that is cheaper, more comfortable to use and that utilizes my existing phone.
>>
Dude I have an workstation notebook and ffs weights a ton. So I bought and (I think) Lenovo 110 or something like that, it weights like 1 kg or less, battery like 5 hours and use TeamViewer to access the main pc. It's 11,6 inches and works like a champ. Cost me around 200 so it's disposable af
>>
>>62030293
>Cost me around 200 so it's disposable af

All the shit in the OP except the phone cost $62 in total, shipping included
>>
>>62026937
Asus padfone
>>
File: laserkeyboard.jpg (254KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
laserkeyboard.jpg
254KB, 640x427px
>>62030386

Wow, that's rad. How did I not know this existed?

What about laser keyboards? Do they work well or are they just memery
>>
>>62030427
imagine typing on touchscreen instead of real tacticle keyboard, but even less precise
>>
>>62030672

Memery then. I assumed so, it just looks really cool.
>>
>>62026937
I have one of these tablet cases with a built in keyboard. If you have OTG support and can find one that will fit your device, then you could try that. Just be warned that these keys are too tiny to really type on, though. I'd rather either plug in a normal keyboard or use the touch screen.
>>
>>62030831

Does anybody make a full size folding bluetooth keyboard? I mean actual full desktop size. All the "full size" ones I can find mean "laptop sized".
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.