[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Install gentoo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: gentoo-penguins.jpg (5KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
gentoo-penguins.jpg
5KB, 201x251px
Been using Arch for 3 years and programming for 1 year. Still in college.

The jump from Ubuntu to Arch was unbelievably illuminating, is there a similar one from Arch to Gentoo?
>>
>>62019918
Well...., not really. It depends on how you look at things. If you really want to get obsessive over the packages you install and their dependencies, and spend extra time waiting for them to install, and if you have a hate boner for systemd, then yeah, it might be enlightening or something. The pride in using Gentoo mostly comes from the extra work involved to set things up. It's kind of fun, but probably not worth the effort in the long run.
>>
>>62019918
nope, but you'll spend a lot more time fixing things if you want an actually usable system
>>
File: 1502912120957.png (267KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502912120957.png
267KB, 800x600px
It's worth it if you don't run the "normal" nowadays Linux setup, and by that I mean you don't use systemd but rather something like busybox, you don't run an entire DE instead a wm, you don't run PulseAudio and so on and on.Also portage is a great package manager.But then again this fucking maymay of learning "the inner workings of Linux" by installing certain distros is retarded.
>>
Just read the linux from scratch books and don't actually install it. If you're studious enough, you may absorb some stuff.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.