[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Python really as bad as /g/ says? I actually kind of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: 1503280462643.jpg (25KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1503280462643.jpg
25KB, 641x530px
Is Python really as bad as /g/ says?

I actually kind of enjoy using it...
>>
NOTHING is as bad as /g/ says
>>
>>62011308
Except for AMD, AMD is worse than what /g/ says.
>>
Its not bad at all. You've been fed a bunch of lies
>>
>>62011298
No, python is great.
>>
>>62011384
What do you like most about Python?
>>
>>62011298
Python just sets you up with bad habits if you ever decide to learn a real language that has things like memory management.
>>
>>62011613
How? If your quarrel is GC type stuff many languages fit that bill
>>
>>62011298
/g/ is a bunch of schoolkids and pajeets who think that to program hello worlds in C or Haskell in /dpt/ is any better than to program in MATLAB, R or Python or C++ or anything. If you want a good opinion ask more experienced people who you know how things work.
>>
>>62011298
Tbh I love python, though it is somewhat ezmode. Scientists and people who just have to do some data analysis love it because it's so ezmode and they don't have to worry about the low level shit.
Also, since it has Qt, you can make cross-platform GUI programs without having to know shit about programming which is kinda nice.
>>
>>62011613
Wow, home-bred couch-expert! what else can you say about me habits?
>>
>>62011298
It's just fine.

I work in data science and frankly I much prefer R, however Python is okay too. My only real gripe with it is that the designers of the Python clearly have opinions on how you should structure your code, so it begins to feel very restrictive if you do anything complicated. The indent blocks are one example, but I also remember they were trying to remove lambda functions, map, etc. a few years ago and there was an uproar. I always feel like there's no escape from deep nested control structures in Python.

I'm not a "real" software engineer but my impression of it is that it doesn't scale well at all to complex problems and all of the math/data power is just stuff written in C++ passed with Boost.Python, it's not by any real virtue of Python itself.
>>
Will I be a real programmer if I learn Python and do topcoder/hackerrank, /g/?
>>
>>62011298

It's pretty good if you want to do stuff like data analysis or simple scripting

Huge amount of easily accessible libraries, too

But that all comes at a price

I frequently work in sub-4k memory environments with about 64 bytes of RAM, so Python won't cut it there
>>
There's nothing wrong with Python if you just want to learn Python, but if you're learning Python to learn programming in general then you're dumb. There are far better languages for that that will both teach you more about programming concepts without teaching you retarded Python habits that you'll have to unlearn if you try and move on to a different language.
>>
>>62011904
>I frequently work in sub-4k memory environments with about 64 bytes of RAM, so Python won't cut it there
Not much will cut it there
>>
>>62012039
>retarded Python habits
such as?
>>
>>62011298
Most complains on python are quite like complaining you can't break concrete with a screwdriver.
>>
>>62012241
Pretty much C and maybe C++ with a simplified standard library.
>>
>>62011613
>not having memory management makes programming language not real.
This opinion is so hot I almost got burned.
>>
>>62011904
Yeah, Python requires at least 512 bytes of RAM.
>>
Please elaborate more. What bad habits does python teach?
>>
>>62011298
slow
>>
>>62011319
SOPA
>>
>>62012328
it teaches you that it should work just like you expected it to
>>
>>62012606
Lmao
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.