[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me, have regular android >decide to install lineageOS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

File: 1503283071381.jpg (45KB, 540x337px) Image search: [Google]
1503283071381.jpg
45KB, 540x337px
>be me, have regular android
>decide to install lineageOS because I like free software and want to remove bloat
>plan on removing gApps because fucking google botnet
>I need apps like Instagram and Snapchat to talk to my friends in their normie group chats because I can't join their iMessage groupchats
>hear of apps like Yalp Store that let you install APKs from the Play Store so I assume you can install Instagram and Snapchat on them
>install F-Droid then install Yalp from within it
>open yalp
>literally every app has "requires Google Play Services" including Instagram and Snapchat
>the web version of Instagram doesn't have messaging and Snapchat doesn't even have a web version
>I now have no friends all because of FOSS
thanks Obama
>>
What about swimming u like swimming don't you
>>
>>62009489
>he fell for the freetard meme
>>
>>62009489
get an iphone like every normal person if you want privacy. trying to avoid google under android is impossible.
>>
>>62009489
μG
>>
>>62009489
If you need instant messaging to have friends you don't deserve friends.
>>
>>62009519
i can't swim desu
>>62009536
that's no better than android spyware-wise
>>62009552
how are they supposed to invite me to things without instant messaging?
>>
>>62009489
I thought you could use Whatsapp without botnet services.
>>
>>62009570
Maybe but none of my friends use whatsapp
>>
Be prepared and any leader has to endeavor in North Korea crisis can't diplomatic key allies conflict the president words yes.
>>
>>62009489
>>62009568
>>62009580
the best solution is to unironically use two phones

iPhone for social, rooted degoogled Android for else

you only need one SIM too, just tether the android for the ihpones connection
>>
>>62009619
I'm not going to buy and carry around two different phones just to use Instagram
Maybe I'll just install an android emulator on my computer or something and use that
>>
>>62009649
why not emulate iOS on your Android then?
>>
>>62009687
that would kind of defeat the whole purpose of disabling Google Apps
at least on my PC I already have some proprietary software like Steam so emulating proprietary android apps isn't that big of a deal, while my android is currently all free software
>>
wait wtf I just installed instagram from Yalp and it works even though it says it requires Google services...
>>
File: 1449551937430.jpg (52KB, 233x233px) Image search: [Google]
1449551937430.jpg
52KB, 233x233px
>>62009823
Requires Google services doesn't usually mean that the app won't run, but some functions could cause it to break (trying to make a purchase or write a review for example)
>>
The majority of apps that "require Google play service" don't really. You won't get notifications though as those are dependant on google cloud messaging.
>>
>>62009568
>that's no better than android spyware-wise

Except that you can actually disable all of that shit and your phone still works. Hell, Apple lets you do this without installing a custom ROM or root, either. The amount of privacy related options were pretty shocking to me when I first picked up an iPhone. Coming from Android for over 5 years it was not what I was used to.
>>
>>62009489
Instagram and Snapchat are horrible apps that mine contact info. If you're willing to do that to your friends, you don't deserve to have friends.
>>
>>62011159
*optionally mine your contact info
>>
>>62011172
I know for a fact that you can't use Snapchat filters without giving them access to your contact info. If you aren't using the filters, then why use the software? Why not just send a pic via text?
>>
>>62011189
>If you aren't using the filters, then why use the software?

In the grand scope of Snapchat that's a fairly new feature. People used Snapchat before it existed because it's a social network. It's mind boggling that so many nerds don't understand this but I guess it would require friends to understand.
>>
>>62011223
I have friends. I use Wire with them.
>>
>>62011231
Congrats on being the only people that use that service. Given that apps like this are typically only used by niche users your friend group is unlikely to switch to something that unpopular so I'm guessing what you actually mean is your online buddies use it
>>
>>62009613
Looks like Google translate is still shit too
>>
>>62011087
Closed source
>>
>>62009758
>having proprietary software on your PC
>trying to make your phone FOSS
You've chosen to do only the hardest part. Even if you succeed, you still have proprietary software, so what's the point?
>>
>>62011266
No, I mean my friends. My IRL friends. The people I hang out with after work and during the weekend. The best man at my wedding. The people who had me as best man/groomsman. Most people wind up prefering it to WhatsApp, FB messenger, or whatever other messaging service they like, because its free, no ads, and its private.

The only person who refuses to try it is my mom. She thinks I should just get on facebook more, so that I can see her posts and know that her blood pressure dropped and she passed out while standing. She shouldn't have to let me know without getting 30 comments from strangers asking if she is ok.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>62009489
>>62009536
>they don't know about the baseband processors
Oh boy.
>>
>>62009489
Why uninstall a botnet OS if you're going to install botnet apps?
>>
>>62009489
99% apps that "depend on GSF" are usable without them. And if they aren't µG will work as a replacement.

>>62009536
>iPhone
>normal
Lelno. Fuck off.
>>
>>62009489
Look at
>>62009823
>>62011081
>>
>>62009568
>> how are they supposed to invite me to things without instant messaging?

I'm sure they could call you... That's what phones are used for in the first place.
>>
>>62009489
There's workaround for Google Play Services, you dumb cunt.
It's called MicroGApps.
>>
This thread is filled with retarded people.
What you do is root your phone in a way that passes SafetyNet (e.g. Magisk) and install microG. Make sure your ROM supports signature spoofing, if it doesn't, use something like needle or haystack to patch it.
>>
>>62009489
You can still install gapps without the bloat look it up I've done it.
>>
Can't you remove gapps usage by using luckypatcher ?
>>
>>62014254
>using malware
You can uninstall system apps by default when you're rooted. No need for lp.
>>
>>62014286
I was thinking of patching Instagram and Snapchat with it actually
>>
>>62014444
>patching private apps with malware
Still a retarded idea
>>
>>62014453
how do you know it's malware?
>>
>>62014497
It's a closed source tool with open source alternatives. And anything that uses root permissions and messes with apps or the system that isn't open source is a potential and almost guaranteed malware. Unless the developers show the app's source they cannot prove that the app isn't malicious.
>>
>>62014497
Not him but there a lot of fake malware infused versions on aptoide
But if you choose the right one you're good
>>
The Apple iPhone 7 Plus doesn't have any of these problems.
>>
>>62009489
>what is MicroG
>>
>>62014983
Technically, yes it does. Now throw yourself off a bridge, shill.
>>
>>62015046
t. sandeep from google
>>
>>62009489
Install microG, a FOSS replacement for Google Play Services.
>>
>>62014983
Well yeah because you don't have the option to remove the botnet at all, you just have to live with it
>>
>>62009489
I used an alternative to the snapchat official application but it was shit.
But I guess if you really want to stay FOSS, you can try.

I use g Apps because of what's app. So I'm on snapchat too.
>>
>>62009536
Apple doesn't respect your privacy at all.
Your phone cost an arl
>>
>>62009489
>why is android dogshit
>oh yeah it's terrible ancient linux with a gigaton of google botnet tacked on and nothing works without it.
>>
>>62011764
>he doesn't know about icloud key vault
https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2016/08/13/is-apples-cloud-key-vault-crypto/
android doesn't have this and never will
>>
>>62016746
what botnet does Applel have?
>>
>>62013412
>ah yes I'll just tell the people I know to go back to 1997 tech use to accommodate my communist desire to have a phone made by chinese slaves that only runs open source software. makes perfect sense.
>>
>Instagram
>Snapchat

What kind of degenerates do you talk to
>>
>>62016746
no it's literally one setting to turn of telemetry, iPhone has no botnet whatsoever. apple has more money that any company in the world they have too much to lose they can't track people and profile them.
>>
>>62009489
If you login to snapchat then backup your data, install lineage, install snapchat, then restore snapchats data then it will work fine even when you update it
>>
>>62018214
All Phones have telemetry by design. Apple has metadata of all your purchases, account information with your apple id. GPS/Celluar is trackable.
>>
>>62009489
There's literally a free alternative to Google play services.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.