[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OpenSUSE has been shilled a lot here, Leap 42.3 is out and got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

OpenSUSE has been shilled a lot here, Leap 42.3 is out and got good reviews. Is it worth a try? What does it do better than other distros?

t. Arch/Xubuntu user
>>
>>61997611
Install Solus.
>>
>>61997611
4.x GB iso for a linux distro
lmao
nope.avi
>>
File: photo_1487331197366.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
photo_1487331197366.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>61997611
Got a 42.2 disc from a con with some stickers and a very nice command line cheat sheet booklet. Haven't tried it yet as the disc is install only. Pic related, the booklet.
>>
>>61997611
It's actually not shilled enough. I guess it's because openPEPE is kinda hostile towards non-free software (even more than Debian which has a non-free iso).

Leap is geared towards stability. So expect packages that are kinda old. openSUSE team is very proud that their distro has a lot in common with SUSE that a lot of enterprises use on their servers, so you can guess that latest version of Firefox is not their main priority.

Also it has an enterprise way of doing things which means that you need a fully packed system out of the box for the best productivity. In practice it means that you don't lose time installing dependencies but your boot times are a bit slower.

The package manager is a lot faster than the one Fedora uses (also .rpm based).

Yast is nice. At first I thought that it's just a gimmick (I'm not a pleb who can't in CLI) but later found myself using it more and more.

Overall, I would say that there is no need to use openSUSE Leap on a desktop if it's not some kind of a production machine.
>>
>>61997890
Makes sense. I wondered why SuSE and Mandriva fell out of favor as they were evenly matched with the buntus back when I was a newbie.
>>
install OpenPEPE+KDE
>>
File: 2136.png (115KB, 375x416px) Image search: [Google]
2136.png
115KB, 375x416px
>>61997611
>there will never be anything as good as yast
>>
>>61997611
This is bait right?
>>
>>61997611
What's the point of moving to some shitty bloated meme distro when you're already using Arch
>>
If they fixed its font rendering I would like to use that :c
>>
>>61997720
>govnokod.ru
>govnokod
>shitcode
Nice.
>>
File: Screenshot_20-08-2017__151753.png (70KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20-08-2017__151753.png
70KB, 1920x1080px
>>61998323
>>
>>61997890
>Overall, I would say that there is no need to use openSUSE Leap on a desktop if it's not some kind of a production machine.

Thanks for the info, so you'd rather recommend to go for Tumbleweed? Does it break as often as Arch?

>>61997976
>install OpenPEPE+KDE

Yes, fuck Gnome!

>>61998035

It broke (again) and I wanna try something new.
>>
>>61997969
Can't say a lot about Mandriva but as far as I know they kinda shoot themself in the leg when made their distro commercial. They fractured the community and at the same time failed to compete on the same market with Red Hat and SUSE.
Ubuntu became very popular because from the beginning Canonical wasn't afraid to get dirty with all this shady non-free stuff. Also their system got a lot of boost because it was pre-installed on a lot of new computers. Usually it was uninstalled and replaced for pirated WinXP right after the purchase but it's still got in a lot of peoples head that Ubuntu=Linux. Also it was and still is more user friendly than any other distro.
>>61998876
Haven't used Tumbleweed outside of a VM so can't really say how often it breaks.
Was surprised that a rolling "cutting edge" distro has an older version of Firefox than the latest Ubuntu. Also, even though it's not marketed as an enterprise distro - it's still has a lot of typical SUSE quirks like asking you to type a password for every little thing. I think that openSUSE guys need to do more work to differentiate Tumbleweed from Leap.
That being said, I believe that automated testing (openQA) is something that every rolling distro should use and it's undoubtably makes Tumbleweed more stable than Arch, Debian Unstable, etc.
>>
>>61997611
you're have to be a fucking cuck faggot to not know suse is botnet.
>>
>>62000928

Enlighten me dear spergmaester what isn't!
>>
>>61998876
Lunduke, who's on the SUSE board, uses Leap on PC and Tumbleweed on laptop
>>
>>61998876
Also, forgot to mention, Tumbleweed rarely breaks if you don't manually fuck around with the packages. They have some very robust testing, better than Arch's from what I've heard.
>>
>>62001053
Yeah, our testing is pretty good. We do miss stuff sometimes, but we are definitely one of the best distributions when it comes to automated testing. https://openqa.opensuse.org/
>>
>>62001665
>found the shill
gtfo
>>
>>62001709
It's not shilling if it's accurate faggit.
>>
>>61997685
Why is it so big anyway?
>>
>>62001822
it comes with lots of packages on the disc so you don't need to download them when you install the system
the opposite of a netinstall, basically
>>
>>61997685
Basically every distro has a "fat" ISO option. OpenPEPE has ~100MB netinstall discs too.

* http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/iso/openSUSE-Tumbleweed-NET-x86_64-Current.iso
* http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.3/iso/openSUSE-Leap-42.3-NET-x86_64.iso
>>
>>62001841
dis
the fuckhuge image comes with kde, gnome, xfce, mate and such along with a metric shitton of softwares
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.