[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer is overclocking itself?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (19KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 222x227px
I'm trying to run my cpu at a base clock speed. In the BIOS, I'll press F5 to resore defaults. Check my targeted clock speeds, confirm everythink looks good, defaults speeds, then press F10 to save and exit.
The computer restarts and shows a 25% overclock. I go "What the fuck?" Open the BIOS and everything is fucking overclocked. I have no idea why. It's so frustrating. Why is my PC automatically overclocking itself?
>>
>>61997407
2 things: Either your settings aren't being saved properly and you're reloading from a saved profile, or you accidentally activated some auto-OC function in your BIOS. In the case of the latter, you should be able to tell because the computer will reboot itself repeatedly while overclocking itself and checking for stability.
>>
>>61997428
The monitor says off, but I can hear the fans slightly for a seconds, then they stop, they come back on. That lasts for maybe 20 seconds, so I guess that seems like option #2. I have no idea how to disable it. I've beem tinkering with this for hours, but at least I may know what the issue is.
>>
>>61997407
Turn off speedstep, C1E, and try and force constant voltage.
>>
>>61997407
The 25% overclock is probably just turbo frequency over the base clock.
Turn off turbo boost in bios.
>>
>>61997512
Disabled SpeedStep. I don't know what C1E is. If it's an "EPU Power Saving Mode" equivalent, then it was disabled. I set CPU voltage to manual. I don't know if that's the same as forcing constant voltage.
At those settings, it still reverted back to a 25% overclock upon restart.
>>
>>61997530
I disabled turbo. The issue persists. It seems as though it keeps loading the same settings. I have no profiles saved. So it's "optimizing" itself, somehow. Despite the fact that I keep reloading and saving the default settings.
>>
>>61997590
Maybe you have TPU enabled by a switch on the board. My P8Z68-V Pro has this.
>>
>>61997474
>>61997559
>>61997590
>>61997407
Reset CMOS. Turn your computer off, disconnect power cable, move the CMOS jumper into the clear CMOS position, then move it back before turning your computer on again.
>>
>>61997614
Interesting. I'm on a Z170-A board. A quick Google search seems to indicate that Asus boards do have physical TPU switches on them? I was unaware such a thing even existed. I guess I have to find where on my motherboard this switch is.
>>
>>61997671
It's in top right corner on mine, there's a green LED next to it when it's enabled.
>>
File: IMG_0556.jpg (215KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0556.jpg
215KB, 1920x1080px
The soul of linus is inside your pc
>>
>>61997683
I had to break out the manual. Mine was in the bottom right. Looks like it solved that issue. I didn't see the "Overclock __%" upon startup. I'll check my setting to make sure it's still all base clock speed.
This whole thing is a troubleshoot for a machine check excpetion I've been having for over 3 weeks. It's made my computer unusable. A 13+ hour memtest didn't reveal any memory errors. So now I'm testing my cpu to see if maybe the overclock was the cause.
The MCE is still there, but now it seems like I can rule out the memory and overclock as causes.
>>
>>61997407
have you tried READING THE MANUAL OF THE MOTHERBOARD?
>>
Pushing the "anyone can build a gaming PC" meme was a mistake
>>
>>61997940
Have you tried reading the post above yours
>>
>>61997861
So it's fixed?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.