[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SQL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: qxqgrrpd.png (115KB, 499x302px) Image search: [Google]
qxqgrrpd.png
115KB, 499x302px
How do I become a database administrator/analyst?

I'm taking an intermediate SQL course this semester. I can get a certification from my community college with two more classes. I was also thinking of taking an Oracle Certification exam. Thoughts?
>>
Don't, they're a dying breed. Get in to data science/analytics or something.
>>
bump cuz I was about to make the same thread

>>61994688
where and how could I start?
>>
>>61994688
How are they dying? I do want to get into data science that is one of the reasons I want to get experience as a DB admin.
>>
>>61994814
Go get a CS PhD in that case, being a DB admin will not be useful experience
>>
>>61994675
First, become a transgender
Second, learn Python
Third, install Solus
You're an IT girl (male) nao!
>>
>>61994675
Certifications are only worth it if the employer you're targeting gives a fuck about it. Usually you still need a bachelor's degree or equivalent industry experience to be qualified.
Don't fall in the Oracle trap. It's madness. Mostly because of the licensing, which can only be understood by higher dimensional beings.

>>61994688
That's bullshit. "Data scientist" is a made up title, like "devops master" (I'm a developer who does more work for free) or "cloud evangelist" (I'm a marketer disguised as support). In practice all it means is you're an analysis that knows some R. SQL is still necessary and the traditional RDMS isn't going anywhere.
>>
>>61994952
I'm pretty much on board that certifications are meaningless. I have a bachelors degree in Math, some SQL experience, and have been applying with no luck. I thought learning and using Oracle would get me the biggest salary. Any suggestions?
>>
File: ssg.jpg (3MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
ssg.jpg
3MB, 3000x2000px
>>61995000
check em
>>
File: 3bs7C.png (177KB, 2000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
3bs7C.png
177KB, 2000x1414px
bump
>>
>>61995000
Checked and transaction committed.
Knowing Oracle will probably get you hired, but at what cost? Personally my job pays kinda crap, but I do good work with good people and can go home happy every day. If I had to maintain a nightmare deployed on Oracle and build complex queries against a table layout older than me, I'd go absolutely insane.

I'm betting you're getting resume autofilter'd because you don't have "computer science" in the education section. The hiring process for most companies is about as reliable as reading tea leaves. Pad your resume with meme keywords.
>>
>>61995000
take a shit job for a year you can bullshit with into a good job
>>
>>61994675
>oracle
people use that shit?
>>
>>61994952
I thought that "data scientist" was a fancy word for a statistician.
>>
>>61995376
The meaning varies. The positions I've seen for data scientist require a MS or PhD, and deal with big data. I imagine they would be the lead statistician.
>>
>>61995191
I've been working with Oracle in various organisations for a good 15 years.

I used to have clients that developed on it, but everyone building new apps these days is saving a fortune by either moving to MySQL/PostgreSQL or, in the case of "muh enterprise", moving to Microsoft SQL.

There are still a tonne of Oracle databases out there and there will be for a long time, but that's like saying there's a tonne of COBOL out there.

The pricing on this product is fucking horrendous. I have HPE DL380 with more than a quarter a mil in Oracle licensing. Even when some salesman argues "muh performance", I could buy a cluster of 20 servers to run something else and have money left over.

The only people choosing to deal with it these days are people running other products from Oracle. Micros POS systems were always an oracle only product and now owned by Oracle. The biggest legal software vendors are currently being cucked by Oracle and don't have a choice.

>>61995000

Oracle's ERP and people management software is still in high demand. But the mistake is thinking you'll be writing SQL. People managing these products follow a "deploy the app, write a Java application plugin for the business UI needs" type model. Any actual SQL is generally written by people working at Oracle.
>>
>>61994675
There are way too many DB admins. Go into virtualization or cloud storage instead.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.