[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you boys join forces to replace C++ with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 1474144722621.png (378KB, 1450x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474144722621.png
378KB, 1450x1080px
Why don't you boys join forces to replace C++ with something better?
>>
>>61988194
Ok, i will make the logo
>>
File: 1502712145265.jpg (155KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1502712145265.jpg
155KB, 1440x810px
Is this a Rust thread?
>>
We need to name the new better, non-bloated programming language as G++
>>
File: 1483091413051.png (549KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1483091413051.png
549KB, 1920x1080px
That's the old picture desu.

And I like C++, I use it to make >games with SDL. Pretty much the only significant (at least in terms of scale) programming projects I take on.
>>
>>61988437
Roll
>>
>>61988437
>>61988194
Every single one of these "challenges" are trivial, why not try to make something new and exciting instead of things that already exist?
>>
>>61988936
Trivial for who? I'm a programming newb and these are helpful.
>>
>>61988194
I don't know how to make a programming language. I have an idea for what I'd prefer C++ to look like though.
>>
>>61988936
this desu
let's write a rust interpreter in haskell
>>
>>61988437
Rollin
>>
>>61988194
I already upgraded to C# over a year ago. I haven't enjoyed programming this much in decades.
>>
I think rust is better enough
>>
>>61988194

Has anyone ever seriously looked at this image and gone "I'll do 58 or 99" and been successful?
>>
>>61989289
Are you a Windows or Linux user? Do you use an IDE or code editor?
>>
>>61992139
Visual studio
>>
>>61992139
Windows. Visual Studio.
>>
>>61990714

99 is much easier than you think. 58 too, provided you use a library for sound synthesis.
>>
>>61992777
What other languages you know?
>>
>>61993691
C++, Java, Javascript, Lua, Python, PHP
>>
>>61994157
CS degree or employment via self taught?
>>
>>61994168
Self taught.
>>
>>61988194
roll
>>
>>61994157
how do you feel about java compared to c#?
>>
>>61988194
rolling
>>
>>61988194

C++ is an awesome language. No reason to Bash on it. Unless you C a sharper language. Or R you just not swift enough to program without it being too much of a brainfuck?
>>
>>61988194
There's no need. C++ can be used in a way that's perfectly functional, readable, and easy to write. The problem is that it's vast and has too much cruft, so what is needed is a guide to use it in optimal manner.
>>
>>61994530
Nice. Thats what Im trying to do
>>
>>61988194
Rust
>>
>>61994879
rerolling for more interesting project
>>
>>61988194
tf is tornado text
>>
rust is a c replacement. Let me know when rust++ is out.
>>
>>61994944
It replaces C++ too desu anon
>>
>>61994559
It's... okay. There's a lot of recursion to everything. A recursion trend that is taught to everyone simply because everyone is doing it. A recursion that is encouraged by having built in libraries that utilizes recursion. There's just... a lot of recursion all over the place.

This is generally unpleasant when you code because instead of having a library method that takes an int, you instead have a library method that takes an object, which needs to be gotten by calling new on another object, which requires an object in the constructor. So then you have to call a new on that other object, which in turn requires another object which can only be gotten by creating another object and then calling a method of that object. Sometimes it gets even crazier than that. And mind you this is not a third party library, or something written by Rajeet The Pajeet, it's something officially included and maintained by Oracle.

This also creates a whole other side of the same issue, namely finding resources. Since this kind of "tradition" is taught in school, you have a lot of new programmers joining the market following the trend taught by them (and never corrected), so a lot of the time you find yourself sitting down with a task, pondering on how to do it, and you think to yourself "Lets google the problem and see if I can find any ideas or inspiration" (translation: find some code to copypaste so you can spend 5 minutes tweaking rather than 5 hours writing). And you find a thread on stackoverflow that's precisely what you're looking for, with one or several answers. And the answer is... 2 entire pages worth of Java spaghetti code that utilizes recursion upon recursion wrapped inside of recursion so deeply just the first few lines makes you want to take a smoke break when you don't even smoke.

Cont >
>>
>>61995155
Another thing I also took issue with is the weird design decisions that seems to have been put in there by some grumpy person in 1995, and then left in there solely because that grumpy person is now a grumpy old man hiding somewhere in Oracle's basement waving his cane and threatening to kill himself if they so much as suggest the possibility of changing that weird design decision he put in place in 1995.

One thing that comes to mind is the whole issue with unsigned variables, and something I've struggled with on multiple occasions.
It might not seem like much of an issue, because why not just use a bigger variable? The answer is; You should, and you have to. And in the end it doesn't matter that much because 4 bits are just 4 bits, even millions of them are just a few megabytes.
But it actually does become a problem when you deal with networking. Specifically networking where either the server or client is written in something other than Java. The programmers of that application isn't going to arbitrarily limit themselves to sending just signed data over the net. Oh no they're going to be sending you bits and bytes, signs and unsigns and sometimes even pigtails. And then you sit there having to either cram the unsigned short into a signed short and try to figure out the data that way, or you have to shove it into an actual signed int, at which point you have to add a lot of extra code just to make sure it never goes negative otherwise you'll end up dealing with garbage data which at worst might actually crash the application on the other end.
>>
>>61995164
It's such a pointless issue that they could have fixed years ago, but haven't. Instead they've danced around the issue and introduced classes and objects to sort of deal with the problem, but those classes and objects doesn't overload very well and is about 5 billion times slower than using an actual unsigned primitive, so in the end you just shake your head and go back to your bitshifting hackjob praying that the ticket system doesn't explode one day because a stray bit got stuck somewhere and crashed something and you're suddenly looking at a million-dollar-an-hour downtime.

Cont >
>>
>>61995173
And finally the JVM. More specifically the JVM arguments. They're... terrigood. Is that a word? They're horrible and awful, yet amazing and productive. They give you a lot of control, but also too much control.
You can sit hours, sometimes even days tweaking miniscule settings in the JVM. You can set up loggers and tracers and god knows what else which is a godsend when you're trying to performance test an application.

I've always joked that the JVM is the cunt of the programming world. Not the way you're thinking, but literally, the Vagina of the programming world.
Basically you write a piece of software, and you run it in the JVM. It runs okay, but you figure, yeah I can tweak the JVM and make it run better. So you rub the J-Vagina-M a bit, and the code runs 18% better. Great. So you rub it some more, and suddenly the code runs 286% slower. So you rub it again, no change. You poke and fiddle some more and even though it should logically be faster, it's now 301% slower. So you rewrite the code, with a few changes that was suggested here and there, and you toss it to the JVM. Based on information from official post by Oracle themselves, it should be faster. It's not, it's about twice as slow. So you try the changes that made it run 18% faster before, it's now even slower. So you try the code that made the first application slower, it's now twice as fast as the first application with the 18% boost. You change newgen from 3095 to 3096 and it's even faster, then you change it to 3097 and it tanks down to 800% slower.

It's just very... very finnicky and touchy-feely. Which is great, but also terrible.
I've known people who made an entire life off this. Doing nothing from the time they get into office, to the time they leave, but sit in front of a server, looking at logs, looking at graphs and try and determine where the G-spot of this weeks revision of the application is.

(Sorry for the blogpost)
>>
>>61988936
I too dislike the idea of 'reinventing the wheel' but for a noob like myself each challenge is a learning opportunity.
>>
>>61988437
roll
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.