[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is G-Sync technology actually good or is it just snake oil? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

File: gsync.jpg (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
gsync.jpg
7KB, 300x300px
Is G-Sync technology actually good or is it just snake oil? The price increase to have it is pretty steep.
>>
>>61959031
It's meant for people that value latency reduction and missed frames that actually had server ticks on them. Not for offline gaming and not for non-competitive gamers. Waste of money for anyone not as picky.
>>
Input delay for regular old v-sync can be mitigated with proper cables and input devices.
>>
>>61959150
Well you got yourself a branded standard that illiterate "pro gaymers" will use instead without fighting with cables and also promoting "pro gear" for rich consumers.

Everyone wins in their heads this way.
And Nvidia gets more funds to do serious work off consumers' market in areas like AI.
>>
>>61959150
>>61959182
think of it like the Dolby signature for home media reproduction equipment. If Dolby tests the shit then it must work at its peak just when it's plugged in, right(!?!)
>>
it's good if you can't reach your intended fps, but in that case you could spend the g-sync tax on a GPU that can actually hit the fps you want
>>
Variable refresh rate is not a meme. However I have no reason to believe Gsync has any advantage over the cheaper Freesync 2. Making me believe the dedicated nvidea scalar is snake oil.
>>61959150
>>61959070
It's for variable refresh rate you dumbfucks.
>>61959284
I mean it's relative. Even a 1080 struggles playing ultra quality at 4k
>>
>>61959070
yeah you're retarded.

I'm highly not competitive. TF2 is the only remotely competitive game I play. I still highly value gsync for everything that doesn't achieve perfect sync with your panel, which is going to be everything.

Gsync is amazing if you can't stand unsightly vertical tearing nor input lag. I love it just because it makes things less juddery.

>>61959150
you're even more retarded than the last guy, well done.
>>
File: 3ff113e446ffb72bbe68be025abe94e3.jpg (264KB, 1257x900px) Image search: [Google]
3ff113e446ffb72bbe68be025abe94e3.jpg
264KB, 1257x900px
>thinks he's so smart buying an nvidia card
>has to log in to his drivers with Facebook
>G-Sync arbitrarily costs more than the open standard Freesync
>>
>>61960556
>I mean it's relative. Even a 1080 struggles playing ultra quality at 4k
That's what the 1080ti is for and ultra settings are a meme. If you're playing at 4k then set everything to high with AA off or very low and enjoy your solid 60fps.
>>
I have a 144Hz monitor. When I move the mopuse round and round on the screen I see lots of mouse pointers. Why?
>>
Are there any good comparative articles on G-sync vs Free-sync?

I can only find shitty IGN articles talking about G-sync and how its the "Next Best Thing!" from years ago.
>>
>>61961257
sharingan
>>
>>61961161
>G-Sync arbitrarily costs more than the open standard Freesync

It also actually works instead of having shit tier or downright broken implementation in 95% of its monitors like freesync does.

You get what you pay for.
>>
>>61961578
>You get what you pay for.
anal?
>>
Better be worth the fucking money, I just blew $600 on one and am setting it up rn.

Was gonna try to snag a Vega 64 and a freesync but AMD decided to blow it
>>
File: motion-blur-graph.png (42KB, 576x460px) Image search: [Google]
motion-blur-graph.png
42KB, 576x460px
only for their 120hz strobing
wish all monitors had neutral, hardware strobing though
>>
>>61961639
I really like the blur reduction but it fucks with my eyes too much. I get eye fatigue immediately.
>>
File: amdloocry.jpg (111KB, 653x726px) Image search: [Google]
amdloocry.jpg
111KB, 653x726px
>>61961161
repeat after me
>1070 performance
>$500
>>
>>61961257
>>61961285
this
>>
File: 1502932580683.png (231KB, 643x537px) Image search: [Google]
1502932580683.png
231KB, 643x537px
>>61961257
This is a gay bug, hacked in by the Jews.
>>
>>61961257
Ghosting.
>>
>>61959031
It's pretty good, but here it's basically not an option when you look at the 4k market unless you're pretty rich. For a <32" 4k IPS freesync, you're looking at the equivalent of $450-650, but for an equivalent g-sync monitor it would be double that or more. G-sync matches up way better in pricing for TN panels or for high resolution/ultrawides. But if you're going high refresh rates, then screen tearing is much less of an issue anyway.
>>
>>61959150
lmao
just kill yourself
>>
I wish Vega didn't blow chunks so I could just get a freesync monitor instead
>>
>>61959031
it's gr8
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag/
>>
It's a complete meme. The human eye can't see above 24fps, anything higher than this is just a waste
>>
>>61961639
The gsync strobing is way more shit than the older lightboost strobe.
It has absolutely terrible ghosting.
Colors are way better though.
>>
>>61959031
a feature that is natively supported by a displayport moved to the monitor using proprietary hardware to milk you.
but looking at Vega costing more than it should G-Sync became viable again.
>>
I keep it off 90% of the time and only turn it on when I get enough tearing to annoy me
>>
>>61964778
????
>>
>>61964825
Gsync causes stuttering in some games which is 10x more annoying than tearing
>>
>>61961161
Why do so many people on here think GeForce Experience is the same thing as the drivers? This misconception is everywhere here, either
>most people here are retarded and didn't do a custom install
or
>there are people outright lying to spread FUD about Nvidia
>>
>>61961284
Hardware Unboxed just did a comparison video about it. Freesync used to be trash but improved over time, just like most AMD products. Gsync still has a few advantages though, whether that's worth a $200 premium is up to you.
>>
>>61965005
probably the first. Linux cucks get cancer the moment they read about something custom and windows cucks are unable to even install drivers most of the time (or they do it via the CD-ROM provided with the gpu which is quite pathetic itself)
>>
>>61960556
freesync 2 looks to be the exact same as gsync with some price hike due to a standard of QC with every monitor labelled as freesync 2. it will probably have a module just like gsync
>>
>>61964648
It's a complete meme. The human eye can't see above a powerpoint presentation rate, anything higher than this is just a waste
>>
>>61959031
Variable refresh rate tech is great, and g-sync is a 10x better overall package than freesync right now. With freesync you have to worry about getting a panel that supports proper features to let it run at low refresh rates, a lot of panels have low freesync max refresh rates (e.g. my friend's 144Hz monitor which he can only run at 90Hz with freesync), and in general it's not as refined or consumer ready on AMD's side. Hell, they bundled a monitor that flickers with freesync on in vega packs. Meanwhile gsync monitors are pretty much guaranteed to be vetted and working properly, and all have the same range/functionality. I just upgraded to a gsync monitor (dell S2716DG) and compared to a regular monitor it looks/plays smoother even when I'm playing at low framerates.
>>
File: youstoppid.jpg (94KB, 1188x711px) Image search: [Google]
youstoppid.jpg
94KB, 1188x711px
>>61961161
>thinks he's so smart buying an nvidia card

nigga are u stupid?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.