[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>working on project for 3 months >five thousand source

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: 32405.jpg (549KB, 602x4096px) Image search: [Google]
32405.jpg
549KB, 602x4096px
>working on project for 3 months
>five thousand source files
>never used version control
>decide to try out VSCode's version control
>unstaged changes
>add to index or discard
>discard

Should it have warned him of what "Discard" would do?
>>
>>61956996
Even if it did warn him he would have clicked yes
>>
He could probably use photorec
>>
>3 months work
Hold my beer.
>>
Yes, a program shouldn't delete your files permanently without warning you, but this guy is also retarded for not maintaining backups of 3 months of work.
>>
>>61957056
this
>>
Back your shit up
>>
>Discard just permanently deletes everything in the source directory
quality version control implementation right there
>>
>>61956996
Could not find this on GitHub. Likely fake.
>>
>>61958910
it probably tried to clone from master / reset the branch (to null). That's what I would expect the discard button to do
>>
What's a backup do again?

If this person is this retarded, then maybe nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>61959881
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/32405
Getting 404.
>>
>>61959920
https://web.archive.org/web/20170817134338/https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/32405
>>
>>61959929
They must have contacted GitHub support to have this issue removed because the API does not let you delete issues.
>>
>>61959840
It was taken down. I found a webarchive version, but too lazy to find the link again.
>>
>>61956996
>Pajeetsoft does stupid shit
Not surprising.
>>
>>61956996
nah anon discard means whatever the guy who implemented it thought it should mean

>watch out before you press buttons because we might just fuck your shit up
lol what a response
>>
File: microsoft3.png (1MB, 1300x4704px) Image search: [Google]
microsoft3.png
1MB, 1300x4704px
>>
Distributed Version Destruction
>>
File: 1460411887547.png (36KB, 738x423px) Image search: [Google]
1460411887547.png
36KB, 738x423px
>>61956996
>>
>>61960072
>>61958910
You get this warning
>>
>>61960231
Discard all changes as of what time frame?
Chrome gives you more control with your browsing history than that.
>>
File: Capture.png (79KB, 1891x607px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
79KB, 1891x607px
>>61960273
Looks like the guy initialized an empty repo, added his project files to it (the "changes") and then discarded them rather than committing.
>>
>>61960298
>not keeping zipped archives in a thumb drive

baka
>>
>>61960298
They shouldn't make it so easy, at least add a prompt explaining the whole project will be permanently deleted instead of just "changes"

Also that guy was an idiot for not backing up but I can't help but feel bad for him...
>>
>>61960398
The post I screencap'd earlier puts it pretty nicely

"what would you think would happen if you used any other application which integrates Git? Let me try to guess. You'd probably initialize a repository as well, just because why not? It's not like you're messing with code which doesn't have backups right? You'd probably see all those changes appear and try to find a way to make them disappear, just like what happened here. You'd also probably avoid attempting to understand a bit more about what you're messing with, similarly to this situation. As you finally find that magic action which will solve all your problems, the application would still delete your files, no matter how many confirmation dialogs it would pop up attempting to tell you this is dangerous."
>>
>>61960074
the funny thing is the process described angrily by the guy is entirely reasonable, regardless of how much of a brainlet he is. i can always tell when someone is a retard because they repost this without actually understanding the content, they just see a bunch of "HAHAHAHAHAHA" and think it must be showing how bad MS is or whatever

t. actually works at a large company and regularly sees far worse
>>
File: received_1776882979006997.gif (2MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
received_1776882979006997.gif
2MB, 300x168px
>>61960231
>>
I read many such stories about people who just didn't do a backup and lost months of work. Just why? At least programmers should be clever enough.
>>
>>61959862
It actually just did git clean. It will also delete any uncommitted files in directory when discard is used. Kinda stupid implementation desu.
>>
Why would anyone not backup their data for such important stuff?
I even backup all my text files encrypted on Dropbox so that if the house burns down I STILL don't loose them.
It's a thing of like 10 minutes. Fucking retards
>>
>>61956996
I can understand that something is not important enough, so you don't do backups for a couple of months.
But when you upload it for the first time, wouldn't you want to copy the dir, do some cleaning and stuff before?
Trying a tool for the first time on something important is never a good strategy.
>>
>>61959956
The dude's account is 404ed too kek
>>
>>61960742
>tfw over 300gb of shit I should backup
>3 mega accounts only lets me backup 150 of the most important shit
>>
>>61960485
you're desensitized, there's nothing reasonable about that workflow.
>>
>>61956996
did that guy seriously not test what the fuck he was doing or even copy the files instead of doing it on the original ones?
>>
This is why you learn SCM on the commandline first, letting your IDE do shit automatically (like clean in this case) is asking for it.
>>
>>61960273
Gonna admit, this is not as obvious as I thought it was. I feel bad for him.

But I think she should still be able to recover the files, no? They shouldn't have been instantly overwritten by VS
>>
>>61964492
It is as obvious as it looks. Not making a backup, not literally copying and pasting a directory with your precious code before throwing it into a program you know nothing about, is not how a ration person should act.
>>
>>61960074
>>61960485
>>61963561
>what it takes to add a dropdown
So there's a .cpp file that defines the behaviour and a .xaml file that defines the look of the UI.
If you want to add a new dropdown of course you're going to just copy the piece of xaml that defines it elsewhere and simply change the entries.
Same for the callback, it's mostly the same for every dropdown just with different ids.
String resources are required for localization. The only issue is the sequential id requirement.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or unusual about this process.
If you've ever worked with Android you'll know that it works exactly the same except that it generates resource ids for you.
The green guy is just retarded.
>>
>>61959956
>>61961955
They accidentally clicked 'Discard' on the issue and the dude's account
>>
>>61956996
He should've read the readme
>>
>not copying the project files into a dedicated git folder and starting the version control from that copy
He honestly deserved it.
>>
>>61956996
>what are backups?
>>
>>61956996
>Hasn't made a commit in 3 months
>Blames a source control program for losing his files
>>
>be a writer
>write a novel
>"hey this new word processor looks pretty good"
>cut and paste entire novel into the new software
>"do you want to save your changes?"
>"lol you want to save an entire novel, that's like FIVE THOUSAND words"
>click no
>WTF YOUR SHITTY SOFTWARE DELETED MY NOVEL
>>
Is it that hard to learn a few git commands on your own that you have to use whatever crap is baked into a fucking text editor?

git clone
git init
git add
git commit
git push
git pull

And if you plan on working with others, it might help to learn a few more commands for dealing with multiple branches. But either way, it's not a very complex tool.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.