[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a life on Debian Stable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: debian-DKblue.jpg (61KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
debian-DKblue.jpg
61KB, 1600x1200px
Hi, Debian anon. Tell me, how do you live with packages that are so far behind from a bleeding edge? Do you use something like Ubuntu's PPA?
Also, what were you previous distros and why you've decided that Debian is your cup of tea?
>>
Hey if you're running old hardware sometimes Stable/LTS builds are the only option.
Looking at you, support for Radeon 2000 drivers that aren't ass
>>
I literally see no reason to use bleeding edge shit. I chose Debian as my main distro because for some reason it was the easiest to setup to my needs.
>>
>>61953528
what about latest versions of firefox, for example?
In most of the cases - latest software - the best software. There is just have to be some kind of middle point between stable/outdated and unstable/bleeding edge.
>>
>>61953596
>firefox
>latest software - the best software
Tell us about how these firefox addons work for you
>>
>>61953596
Well the latest Debian stable release isn't *that* outdated. And to be fair, only power users will make any use out of latest packages. Regulars just want stability and the shit that just works, in which case Debian does.
>>
>>61953596
>>61953596
>There is just have to be some kind of middle point between stable/outdated and unstable/bleeding edge.
That's called Debian Testing.
>>
>not using debian unstable.

sid ain't that bad if you just read the messages while updating. you don't need to stinkin wiki any relevant info is prompted.
>>
I have Debian Stable on my server, it does what it's supposed to do
>>
>>61954136
This. Debian is the best server os.
>>
>mfw I use Debian stable as my main OS for servers, C and Python development
Am I a madman?
>>
I use it on my laptop because I just want it to werk and for updates not to surprise me with some new Gnome UI paradigm or some shit. Almost all of the software works just the same as with Arch/Debian sid or whatever. Browsers are obviously a corner case and they can be kept more up to date if you so desire. I'm okay with Firefox ESR 52. Other case is newest of new hardware. My laptop is an old Thinkpad though so I don't care if the kernel is a bit behind.

Funny thing is, my main PC is running bleeding edge Gentoo so I don't really mind the tinkering. I just choose not to do it all the time needlessly
>>
>>61953486
I'm on OLD stable and still pretty comfy tbhon
The latest isn't the best per se
>>
File: 1502219637792.jpg (89KB, 532x800px) Image search: [Google]
1502219637792.jpg
89KB, 532x800px
Well let's see

- LIbre Office works perfectly
- Opera works perfectly
- Spotify works perfectly
- Audacious works perfectly
- Foxit works perfectly

Everything fucking thing I install works perfectly.
>>
>>61953486
It runs on a server that doesn't need to be at the latest and greatest of everything. Just needs to be stable and secure.

For workstations I wouldn't use it though.

I've used Debian, Gentoo, Mint, Ubuntu, Arch, Centos, Red Hat
>>
debian testing is excellent
>>
File: 1499527893424.jpg (225KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
1499527893424.jpg
225KB, 1191x670px
>what are backports?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.