[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IT/Infosec jobs/work realities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

So I've been talking to my dad who's been working pretty much all his life in IT, starting out with sys-admin work then moving on to Info sec and finally auditing and less technical broader compliance work. He used to work in Wall St. for companies like Merrill lynch/Bear sterns back in 90's early millennium. It sounded like totally different world when literally if you could do ctrl-alt-del and knew bone basics of NT 4.0/server 2000 you could basically get a job. I know finding work is still hard in this slow growth shitty economy but when I heard my dad was recently offered a job paying an hourly wage of $30 doing PCI compliance work I was aghast that they could even find someone willing to work for such a pathetic rate let alone someone with 30+ years of experience in the industry.

My feelings are this,
1. They can actually find purple squirrels with xyz hands-on 7 years of experience with share point, data-loss prevention CISSPI/CISSA and everything else in between super neckbeard type especially when it's application/software engineering related.
2.These job postings especially when asking for experience requirements for products that have not been released for the time they are asking for, and these listings are just placeholders so these firms can pretend they can't find qualified workers so they can....(next line)
3.Hiring h1b Pajeets and Valds because they can pay them significantly less and also hold them by the balls immigration status wise.
last
For myself I'm really considering dropping out of college (or get an assoc.) and starting/focusing on a business completely unrelated to IT ( I already own/run an aquarium/aquaculture side gig) or even go into a trade. That or i'm going to do what Snowden did and walk up to the HR people at one of the big 4 and prove his worth.
So for those who make this their living what are you thoughts/experiences. Honestly everything that I see is trending to a smaller and smaller game of musical chairs.
>>
It really depends, but you are right though in one aspect. The whole "WE NEED PEOPLE IN IT NAO" is a complete load of bullshit and it's really disingenuous to tell kids and students this is a insta ticket to getting a steady career.
Also without sounding like a /pol/tard, the pajeets and overseas outsourcing have made IT professions no longer an exclusive skill, because you have shit smearing pajeets who are willing to basically work for peanuts and the employers know this.

Even the more creative front end web development work is being moved offshore or consolidated.
>>
>>61953585
>Even the more creative front end web development work is being moved offshore or consolidated.

can you please cite?
>>
File: 1495849975649.png (769KB, 1062x794px) Image search: [Google]
1495849975649.png
769KB, 1062x794px
aslong as i'm not working out in the sun or busting my ass for the same pay =v)
>>
>>61952233
did he died?
>>
>>61954171
No but I heard a story of guy working in data center when a rack bracket fell and and a server fell edge side on the poor guys foot.

his foot was crushed, he got workers comp of course.
>>
Have you thought about working towards the Linux side of things instead of Windows?

I currently work for a company where everything we use is open source, use CentOS, not a single Windows machine anywhere, it's awesome. The bar seems to be a bit higher though, you need to know how to do a bit of dev works along with traditional sysadmin tasks.
>>
>>61955015
No I haven't but I've always assumed now that most companies are pretty much all moving away to Open source/Linux with the exception of user workstations.

Truth of the matter is I'm trying to avoid doing traditional sysadmin tasks and more leaning towards security, compliance and auditing. I have cissip, picking virtual locks has always been something fun for me. My reason being that I find it more interesting and then honestly without putting down that type of work it really seems that anyone with route training can do (at least with sysadmin monkeying stuff).

What exactly do you do script writing?
>>
Just got my foot in the door for it at an auto dealership company. I'm basically their mail and inventory guy, lower than a grunt, but I can move up once I finish my certs. Meanwhile my gf got moved to her company's IT team with zero experience and zero technological skills because she's friends with head of IT. The tech world is a bitch right now.
>>
>>61955286
She's totally sticking her tongue in that guys asshole to get that job.
>>
>>61955435
More like he's trying to tongue it. She didn't even ask for this position, it was presented to her.
>>
>>61955148
>What exactly do you do script writing?
I'm not sure I follow? Are you asking what I do?

I'm not a sysadmin, I'm a data engineer. I do some development, some sysadmin work in general and then ELK/SQL work (though, I don't actually do that much with SQL as the actual DBAs on the team, different specialization).

I write scripts, some applications for monitoring, processing, etc. Do some tooling as well for the team and the org as a whole when we have a need for it.

We do have a security/compliance team though, I'm not entirely sure what they do. But they're more focused on the exfiltration of data, and maintaining access, finding vulnerabilities, etc.
>>
>>61953585
Fuck that. I would never let a pajeet design anything for my business.
>>
>>61952233
I can give you an anecdote
> get A+ and Security+
> drop out of Junior College
> Get job making 45k a year as a junior sysadmin for experience equivalent to ~4 year degree while getting paid
> working on CSA+ / CCNA
> should be able to get Security Analyst position around ~60k and work up from there
I am not saying do what I did but this is a good move, depending on where you live.
>>
>>61955286
Holy shit I think you might have got the job I applied for. Glad I didn't get it.
Is the pay at least decent?
>>
>>61955518
sure sure anon keep telling yourself that
you're going to be at your shitty it job whilst your girlfriend climbs to the top one dick at a time
>>
>>61952233
poo
>>
>>61960509
It is really location and luck. I mostly do first level help desk shit and will make 140K CAD this year. Today I am driving 250km for another 12 hour day. I could catch a giant fireball to the face, but that hasn't happened anywhere for a long time.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.