[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gimp or Krita?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: gimp-krita.png (254KB, 918x500px) Image search: [Google]
gimp-krita.png
254KB, 918x500px
I have a lot of experience with Photoshop, but I want to learn open source Linux alternatives. Tell me why I should use Gimp or Krita, or why I should use both.
>>
GIMP is GNU.
>>
paint.net works fine for me
>>
>>61949702
Photoshop
>>
well GIMP literally stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program, so the freegans on here will all point you towards that
>>
GIMP a shit
>>
>>61949702
I prefer Krita over photoshop. Only for digital painting. It has better color blending and mirror mode hotkey and tilable mode
>>
>>61949702
Krita does pretty much everything gimp does, except better. The text tool and selection tools aren't as good as GIMPs, but other than that, it has it beat. Especially if you're doing any sort of digital painting.
Krita is getting a better text tool and vector support in 4.0, which should be out by the end of the year.
>>
File: triggersgimplets.png (119KB, 1919x1080px) Image search: [Google]
triggersgimplets.png
119KB, 1919x1080px
where krita works, it absolutely BTFOs gimp beyond recognition. unfortunately there are still places where stuff needs to be fixed and gimp needs to be used instead.
>>
>>61949738
I'm sad that's not a thing.
>>
I came from Photoshop too and I found gimp very hard to use >:3

I had to install a bunch of plugins to bring basic Photoshop functions to gimp, but since it is the only option for Linux I still use it.
>>
>>61949862
> unfortunately there are still places where stuff needs to be fixed and gimp needs to be used instead.
Like what?
>>
>>61949702
I want to fuck krita's mascot
can't say the same for PS or gimp
>>
>>61949702
GIMP and Krita are NOT equivalent. GIMP is an image manipulator primarily, not a drawing program. Nobody is dumb enough to exclusively use one tool for a given job. If you were beholden to Adobe, you'd be expected to use Illustrator for drawing an Photoshop for image manipulation. It's true and there is no meme that can defy the truth.
>>
>>61949937
the text tool is completely unusable

currently compiling new version to check if it's still shit
>>
>>61949974
Except literally every single digital artist uses photoshop for painting. Because it does both extremely well, and you do use a lot of photomanip functions in digital drawing.

And illustrator is more of a graphics design tool than drawing tool.
>>
well my wacom tablet pressure sens usually doesnt even work in gimp for one, and when it does the brush is fucking horrible
>>
>>61949702
I use both. GIMP has a lot more PS like features (read about must have plugins) but has a bad compatability with psd and has no CMYK support (only if you install some abandoned plugin). Krita often comes to help where GIMP lacks in features and vice versa.
Truth to be told - they both are very poorly made programs and not worth wasting time on. I use them for some quick edits when I compute on my notebook which has only free software installed but would never used them if not a desire to be closer to FREEtartism.
>>
File: peace___by_tysontan-d760n42.png (478KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
peace___by_tysontan-d760n42.png
478KB, 1000x750px
>>61949973
This desu.
>>
>>61950050
>And illustrator is more of a graphics design tool than drawing tool.
I never got the appeal of Illustrator or Corel draw.
I mean, in terms of vector art you probably can do in Photoshop what you can do in Inkscape and for 2D CAD of any form there is probably better software. So what is the use case of Illustrator or Draw?
>>
>>61950184
The use case is that photoshop has intentionally gimped vector art tools to make you buy more software.

There's no reason why photoshop can't have advanced vector art capabilities, but all you have is the crappy pen tool and very poor algorithmic/macro/script support for vector art.
>>
>>61950214
>The use case is that photoshop has intentionally gimped vector art tools to make you buy more software.
Hm, why don't they do the same with PS and Lightroom?
>>
>>61950244
Oh, but they do.
Photoshop is a general purpose raster image editing program.
If you want features specific to manipulation of digital camera photos, and especially the RAW file format (especially tuning HDR, focus, etc), welcome to lightroom.

But if you capture everything in jpeg, there's nothing you can't do with photoshop, if you're sufficiently skilled.

But again, RAW image manipulation tools are gimped on photoshop.
>>
>>61950304
Neat,
T. not Adobe customer
>>
>>61949702
i havent envisioned a scenario where gimp is superior to krita.

krita is the way to go.
>>
>>61949702
Paint.net
>>
Green Is My Pepper is obviously the better one.
>>
>>61949862

That's not a circle.
>>
>>61949702
If you're /ic/ it's krita all the way, just because the brush engine is actually good. Also, the perspective tool, the context wheel and the animation feature are pretty nice.
>>
>>61949702
Krita

It's better for digital painting than photoshop

GIMP is just shit. Don't bother with it
>>
David Revoy uses Krita and Inkscape for his comics and drawing tutorials. I don't doubt he also uses GIMP from time to time.
>>
Where to I download the krita resynthesize plugin?
>>
Kolourpaint
>>
My problems with krita are.

Slow brush rendering at high resolutions. That fast preview engine is not good enough yet. Seems buggy

Also the text engine is better in gimp.

Cage transform is slow as hell unlike ps
>>
>>61949702
My sisters do digital art and both use Krita, but I couldn't give you an answer from personal experience as I've used neither.
>>
>>61949702
Use anything but gimp, it sucks.
>>
>>61949702
I sometimes work in krita, mypaint and gimp.

used to work in paintool sai exclusively and still have a tablet with it, but it has to many flaws and crashes

nowdays i like mypaint the most. don't know why but krita never did it for me.
>>
What about Sai?
>>
>>61949702
>I have a lot of experience with Photoshop, but I want to learn open source Linux alternatives. Tell me why I should use Gimp or Krita, or why I should use both.
Use both
>>
File: BlwCahzCYAE-QV_.jpg (31KB, 599x340px) Image search: [Google]
BlwCahzCYAE-QV_.jpg
31KB, 599x340px
>>61949702
>>61949738
we need to somehow get a hold of photoshop source code so we can put it in the browser.
>>
>>61950050
>Except literally every single digital artist uses photoshop for painting.

That's wrong, if most of what the artist do doesn't imply photo manipulation (if he just draw or paint) the most probable thing is that he uses software like mangastudio, paintool sai, or the like. There could be some exceptions, but that's how it usually is.
>>
>>61949702
Krita
>>
Seems like the general consensus is that Krita is the best, with a few small missing features that'll hopefully be patched soon.
>>
Depends what you use it for. Krita for art, GIMP (or inkscape) for graphics
>>
Krita of you draw and have a cintiq
>>
>>61951302
People don't think that the circle be like it is, but it do.
>>
>>61949702
GIMP for photos, general editing and filters, Krita for actual digital painting.
>>
>>61949982
appimage bruh
>>
File: 1500832345548.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1500832345548.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>61955859
literaly everyone I know uses PS or CorelDraw Painter to get shit done.
>>
>>61957098
>CorelDraw
jesus christ...
>>
>>61957098
>CorelDraw
Back to 2008
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.