[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

phone computer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Why in the living fuck hasn't anyone designed a laptop that you just snap you're phone into?

I'm thinking a laptop case but instead of a motherboard there is a little holder/wireless charger for your phone. So it's like a dock that charges the phone/connects to the blutooth keyboard and plugs in the hdmi screen.

Does that make sense?

Laptop with everything in it except the keyboard is bt, display plugs into usb hdmi out of phone, wireless charger or just charge through the hdmi.
>>
Motorola atrix.
>>
They have. Several times.

First off the "plugs in the HDMI screen" is not as simple as you make it out to be. You're going to need special software at the least and you'll inevitably face manufacturer/model support issues like the phone fitting the "dock."

Too much mobile hardware is junky and would provide a poor user experience in this form factor. When the hardware is good enough, one faces the question: if you're already carrying a screen, keyboard, probably a battery, etc., why the hell not just carry a real laptop at that point? Even good hardware is limited to the mobile OS experience. So either get a Chromebook which is more of the same or get a computer with a full-fledged OS.

This is why these ideas keep flopping.
>>
But couldn't you just root a phone with Linux and then you would have a real laptop with days of battery life since there's no motherboard or guts you could put a huge battery in it.

Could be cool i think if done right.
>>
>>61947787
Nintendo switch has a simple hdmi thing, and it's a toy
>>
>>61947737
This but allow for any phone. That way each new phone is an upgrade to your laptop.
>>
File: macbook-guts-600x3701-600x370.png (192KB, 600x370px) Image search: [Google]
macbook-guts-600x3701-600x370.png
192KB, 600x370px
>>61947860
So now we're making a device for people who heavily modify their phones to the point of a retooled OS experience.

And you can't put a huge battery in anything. No one accepts that anymore. This is a convenience device; it needs to have less bulk than the laptops it would be replacing. You think guts are a problem on slim notebooks? Pic is the guts of a MacBook. The rest is already used for battery.

Please don't drag this thread out any longer.
>>
>>61947864
It's almost like Nintendo built it that way from the start, and is the sole manufacturer of the single product line.

Let me know when you can plug any device you can think of into the Switch dock.
>>
>>61947896
The difference is that what the OP wants wouldn't cost nearly $2000 for limited functionality

There's something that is being made called the manga screen, it's not 100% of what OP wants but it's a start and costs around $99~ it's a bigger screen with touch functionality, I wouldn't see it being that hard to someone else making an even bigger screen and just attaching a Bluetooth keyboard to it
>>
>>61947896
Think about it a little.

One phone battery is very small. You could put something the size of 2 or 4 in the case. You would even have space for a portable bt mouse and gamepad. It would still be thin and light. You only need firefox with a user agent string set for desktop. If that's possible.
>>
>>61947981
The price of the MacBook has absolutely nothing to do with the point about batteries and you know it. You could not have intentionally missed the topic of that particular exchange any harder.

I know you don't see it as being hard. So many companies with millions to throw at this idea thought it was doable too. It's easy to learn from their experiences though. It would be far more constructive to learn from the profitable, enduring ventures of similar products like dockable tablets. See how many product generations the Surface has released? Take a look at why those keep selling and phone "dock-tops" don't. You'll end up swinging back around to the first reply I gave OP.
>>
>>61947983
>Think about it a little.
Try the same. Make a quick list of all the things that battery would need to power. Look up how much power those components draw. Now do the same thing for the components of a slim notebook. And remember that the phone has to at least break even for being docked, if not actually gain some charge off the dock battery, for this to be an attractive proposition for a user.

For fuck's sake man people have already done all this. You're reinventing a broken wheel.
>>
>>61947896
Now that i think about it your right. It wouldmake more sense too do this kind of setup.

Tablet with docking keyboard (surface)
Unlimited 4g tether from t mobile

Boom
>>
You can't just dump more batteries and have it still be light.
Have you held, say, a 60Wh battery in your hand? Those can be up to 4-5lbs just for one battery. Now you want 3 or 4?
>>
>>61948140
Also you can't have a battery more than 99Wh
>>
>>61947734
>Laptop with everything in it except the keyboard is bt
so basically a tablet?

>just charge through the hdmi
>you're phone
Good thing you have to go back to school soon.
>>
>>61948113
>tether
If you're gonna use it that much, you might as well put a sim card in the tablet.
If not, than you don't really need it anyway, and will do with a regular tablet.
>>
>>61947734
Bump for new market to be explored
>>
>>61947787
>why the hell not just carry a real laptop at that point?
OPs idea is way better, that's why shills like you want to shut him down so badly.

Standardizing video out would kill you. You fear it.
>>
>>61947734
They have. Why you'd want a laptop that doesn't work without your phone is beyond me.
>>
>>61951492
not to mention the fact that phones are shit at multitasking and an os designed for touchscreens doesn't work well in a laptop interface
>>
>>61947734
The Ubuntu phone would've sweet, but alas, the world wasn't ready.
>>
>>61947876
What shitty laptops do you have than a phone is more powerful than even 6 year old laptops?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.