[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/, why are there no laptops that are built for moderate gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

File: gay ass shit.jpg (114KB, 1200x695px) Image search: [Google]
gay ass shit.jpg
114KB, 1200x695px
/g/, why are there no laptops that are built for moderate gaming that don't look like bricks with red LEDs and shit all over them? All the "gaming" laptops have these stupid LED keyboards that are glowing red or something...

All I want is a moderately nice looking laptop with a graphics card that isn't glowing red with GAMER brand gaming shit plastered all over.
>>
Okay come on let's do this together. Give me the following information:

- Screen size in inches
- Screen resolution in pixels
- Processor family
- Graphics card model(s)
- Amount of RAM
- SSD size, if applicable

That should be a good amount of info to start. Let's see if you're right.
>>
File: tor.jpg (111KB, 1697x1185px) Image search: [Google]
tor.jpg
111KB, 1697x1185px
>>61940393
Dell Inspiron 15 7567 Gaming.
You're welcome
>but red-
It comes in black too you autist
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop
>>
>>61940706
Nice thrusters
>>
>>61941261
exhaust for the fans.
>but looks-
It's efficient cooling.
>>
File: MyMan.png (202KB, 637x477px) Image search: [Google]
MyMan.png
202KB, 637x477px
>>61941277
Haha I wan't a laptop not a space ship
>>
Literally anything that has a 1050ti in it?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S15HU1684
>>
File: csm_15t_1_365c993f16.png (36KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
csm_15t_1_365c993f16.png
36KB, 250x188px
HP Pavilion 15t X7P44AV
GTX 1050, 8GBs and i7 7700HQ
>>
Asus rog g46vw
>>
>>61941261
>Nice thrusters

I used to have a 3.5ghz Prescott P4 laptop with no rubber feet, and when its cooling fans really got screaming they literally generated enough thrust to slowly scoot it sideways across my desk. shit was rad
>>
>>61940393
>why are there no laptops that are built for moderate gaming that don't look like bricks
because your choices are either look like a brick or get throttled
throttling is bad for gaming performance

gaming laptop = brick
non-brick = non-gaming laptop
easy, aye?

don't like the looks?
you don't need a gaming laptop
>>
>>61941671
Where do I get one?
>>
>>61940393
Razer blade looks cleaner than a MacBook my dude
>>
File: 1498156198081.png (44KB, 254x252px) Image search: [Google]
1498156198081.png
44KB, 254x252px
>theres no thinkpad with MXM
>>
what's the best distro fro gaming laptops
>>
Zephyrus
>>
>>61940393

I've had to replace a motherboard in one of these ROG shits. It was hell, and people say Macs are bad.

The Razer Blades seem ok if you put a case to cover up the logo and turn off the LEDs.
>>
>>61941612
>HP

If you get this, keep a fire extinguisher in your computer
>>
>>61941921
I fucking despise HP anon, but he wanted one, so I gave it to him. (I'm the one who suggested it)
>>
>>61940393
Tiny next to a P570
>>
File: sager.png (569KB, 1176x580px) Image search: [Google]
sager.png
569KB, 1176x580px
>he doesn't know sager exists

just turn off the back-lighting or set it to white.
>>
>>61941943

> fucking despise HP

Me too

>Be new SA at X company
>ask if we get laptops assigned as I'm used to having a laptop and hooking it up to monitors
>no, but we have one for when you need a laptop
>It's an HP elitebook less than a year old on demo from our vendor
>go to use it
>doesn't turn on
>Oh yeah anon, they battery is dead you need the charger to use it
>...ok
> Open it up, try to use it, trackpad is horrific and giving me anxiety
>ask if it's broken
>no it's just shit, use the wired mouse we have velcro'd to it all the time.
>look at screen
>literal 2 degree viewing angles on shitty 768p TN panel
>vendor never asks for it back during my entire employment there

Sometimes I forget just how bad laptops can be, then I remember that fucking HP.
>>
Because the only people who have a NEED to play video games while mobile are fucking manchildren or actual children, so the laptops are made to attract and please them with dancing autism lights and xxtr3me F-22 designs because you're all fucking babbies.
>>
>>61941990
>>literal 2 degree viewing angles on shitty 768p TN panel
not to excuse it, but that seriously seems like 50% of the business laptops out there

some assholes try to say it's a privacy feature so nobody that looks over your shoulder can tell what's going on
i want to hit those assholes
>>
>gaming
>laptop

Go the fuck back to /v/
>>
>>61941989
If that Clevo had a TB3 and better battery life, I'd be close to perfect.
>>
>>61942105

>but that seriously seems like 50% of the business laptops out there

Unfortunately it is. just my previous gig before that bought the whole team MBPrs (Linux admin) so going from that to a shitty HP was like pulling teeth.
>>
>>61940393

Honestly what are you playing that really needs integrated graphics. My HD 520 handles most things on medium just fine, and that's with an ultra book cpu. For anything but very recent titles a regular old quad core laptop will run games fine
>>
File: macos-high-sierra-egpu-native.jpg (144KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
macos-high-sierra-egpu-native.jpg
144KB, 1600x900px
is there any reason running windows in a vm on a setup like pic rel wouldnt work well for games
>>
just get a thinkpad p71 with a P3000 gpu
>>
>>61942382
because even thunderbolt has shit bandwidth compared to pcie
>>
>>61942382

If it's TB3 then you'll get like 90-95% the performance that card would normally get on a pc. But I think the proper OS support for GPU passthrough it isn't coming until High Sierra, which is close.
>>
>>61942382
>>61942676

>vm

Sorry forgot to talk about that. VM would be shit. You'd want to dual boot. VMWare fusion may do a good job with it but I haven't looked into it.
>>
>>61940393
There are like the Dell 15 7000 gaming edition or the Alienware 15 r4 because the LED are completely optional
>>
>>61942676
>it isn't coming until High Sierra, which is close.
The latest beta seems pretty stable so I would assume the final release will be in September. It's about fucking time Apple ditched HFS, APFS already has provided noticeable improvements.
>>
>>61942382
These are stupid because the enclosures are expensive enough that you might as well buy a desktop, since you'll need to run Windows anyway for good GPU performance.
>>
>>61941921
You would think this is a joke... but it is not.
Why buy a barbecue when you can buy HP.
>>
OP here. My last HP laptop hit the shitter. Fan stopped working without me knowing, and shit went down. Thing heated up really hot, and then the battery fried. Still usable without battery, but I don't trust the fan. I don't want HP because this is the 2nd time something like this has happened.
>>61940525
I want something that I can carry to classes, and still play a bit of Counterstrike on low settings between classes. I have classes for editing some television quality chunks of video so I need a bit of power. SSD is fine because I will be using external memory for video storage. Anything I can comfortably carry but I don't need some gaming monstrosity. I just need some work done and would enjoy a bit of light gaming.

I built my PC, but I don't know shit about laptops and their video card capabilities, or how they compare to big old PC with a 1080ti in it. That is why I come to /g/. Please help
>>
>>61943667

What software are you editing with? If it's anything but Premiere Pro then a MBPr is literally the perfect fit for your use case. I'm on a 2014 and I play CS just fine and I edit 4k in FCPX.

If you're using Premiere then go for like a Razer or Dell XPS
>>
>>61943304

How has the performance been? Have you been testing it? I'm super happy we're getting a under-the-hood release rather than new userland features I'll never care about. Having snapshotting is going to be great.
>>
razer blade and use dbrand stickers or something
>>
>>61941989
problem with these shitty gamertops
>tiny display
>major bottleneck between your i7 and 1060
>6gb is fucking unnecessary, tests show very little difference between 3 and 6gb models. basically fucking your wallet for nothing
>2400mhz is not the speed your ram is operating on, its 2133mhz. anything more would auto void your warranty the moment you bought it.
>5400rpm hdd need i say more about that?
>rgb drains the battery you will never be watching your RGB more than your fucking screen
>slim design fucks your cooling which speeds up silicon degradation which results in an extremely short lifespan of your laptop. Why do you think Apple macbooks don't last long?

also
>not upgradeable
>uses OEM windows 10 instead of full so you can't transfer windows to better computer
>tiny screen
>touchpad
>small power brick
>fragile
>easily stolen
>>
>>61943996
>caring about transferring Windows 10
??????????
>>
File: download (1).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
>>61944077
>not caring about saving money on legal copies of windows in case computer becomes shit
??????????????????????????
>>
>>61944095
>using Windows 10
>paying for Windows ever
????
????????
??
>>
>>61940393
Then get a modular Elitebook or Thinkpad and upgrade.
>>
>>61940393
I dunno, this doesnt seem to have a glowing LED keyboard or lamborghini styling
>>
>>61944121
fucking inline reply box showing up as empty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVP-w0dj8Fo
>>
>>61944104
>thinking every title can run on linux
>being a theft
???
????????????!?!?!?
>>
>>61944165
niceme.mr
>>
>>61944165
>>61944095
Kill yourself.
>>
File: latest.png (238KB, 1488x482px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
238KB, 1488x482px
There are plenty. You're probably looking for overly 'gamer branded' garbage, which of course is all going to look retarded and cost more than it should.

I'm using this piece of shit and it's pretty sufficient for all the gaming I do. I wouldn't recommend it specifically, though: it's got some hardware quirks on linux, the keyboard sucks dick and it's got this ugly generic brushed metal and rounded edges look to it.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 263x192px
>>61944187
>poorfag tells respectable law abiding citizen to kill himself.
k
>>
>>61941921
Its not that bad anymore
The HP fire meme is from a few years ago
>>
>tfw no extra thicc laptops with decent specs and a huge battery that don't cost a fortune
>>
>>61941277
It's efficient cooling that looks ridiculous
>>
>>61940393
DELL XPS 15
>>
Why do laptops still intake from the underneath, rather than the sides, front and just above the keyboard or something?
>>
>>61944578
ThinkPad
>>
>>61944741
P71 could work, after all.
>>
>>61945028
>don't cost a fortune
Try a used W530.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.